PDA

View Full Version : Former Red Guillen not pleased

flyer85
08-02-2007, 03:11 PM
The manager probably ought to clear his desk.

The Mariners have announced that they will recall Adam Jones from Triple-A prior to Friday's game.

Jones is one of the best prospects in baseball and could provide a big boost offensively and defensively, but the Seattle Times reports that several Mariners veterans are not happy that he'll likely take the place of Jason Ellison while seeing regular playing time. Jose Guillen said Wednesday that he's "pissed off" about the call-up, adding that "this team has been good with what we have and I don't think that's what we need."

NJReds
08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Ah Jose, always the team player.

westofyou
08-02-2007, 03:16 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/6f/Angrydog.jpg

RichRed
08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Jose Guillen unhappy? Impossible!

Yeah, it would be a shame if the young guy took playing time away from the 29-year-old Ellison and his .663 career (and .581 season) OPS.

flyer85
08-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Jose Guillen unhappy? Impossible!

Yeah, it would be a shame if the young guy took playing time away from the 29-year-old Ellison and his .663 career (and .581 season) OPS.Guillen is only worried about his own ABs, he just wasn't dumb enough to come right out and say it.

KronoRed
08-02-2007, 03:21 PM
What a great clubhouse guy :clap:

BRM
08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
What a great clubhouse guy :clap:

You know you wish he was still a Red...

RichRed
08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Guillen is only worried about his own ABs, he just wasn't dumb enough to come right out and say it.

I have no doubt that's true but it did say that "several Mariners veterans are not happy that he'll likely take the place of Jason Ellison while seeing regular playing time."

Maybe "several" is just code for "Ellison and Guillen."

flyer85
08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
I have no doubt that's true but it did say that "several Mariners veterans are not happy that he'll likely take the place of Jason Ellison while seeing regular playing time."

Maybe "several" is just code for "Ellison and Guillen."I would expect Ibanez and Vidro to be have their ABs cut. Ellison rarely plays, he will likely be DFAed.

Matt700wlw
08-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Better call the drywall guys...there may be a fist-sized hole in a wall soon...

Big Klu
08-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Better call the drywall guys...there may be a fist-sized hole in a wall soon...

Ricky Stone is ready for action!

Chip R
08-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Ricky Stone is ready for action!

He'd have to clear waivers before he could go to SEA. Pretty unlikely. ;)

MrCinatit
08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I can see the point. You don't want to bring a young stud up to replace a guy with a torrid .591 OPS. It's crazy talk.

Blitz Dorsey
08-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Still not sure we got good value for that Guillen trade. This Harang guy is OK, but who else did we get in the deal? Valentine was a bust. I want Whiney back.

Haha.

flyer85
08-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Better call the drywall guys...there may be a fist-sized hole in a wall soon...thats not what got him in trouble last time.

Eric_Davis
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
thats not what got him in trouble last time.

Was that last week, the week before, or the week before that?

jojo
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Was that last week, the week before, or the week before that?

Guillen has been a good citizen in Seattle until his recent quote. I'm sure it was just his sore ankles talking as the aspirin wore off.

RedsManRick
08-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Good thing Guillen is paid to play baseball and not decide what's good for the team.

OldXOhio
08-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Further cementing his place on the "All Chemistry Team", put your hands together for Jose Guillen.

I think he hits 6th behind Bonds, Strawberry and "Reggie, Reggie".

gm
08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Somewhere, Grover is smiling that this is now McLaren's problem to deal with

RichRed
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I can see the point. You don't want to bring a young stud up to replace a guy with a torrid .591 OPS. It's crazy talk.

It's all the way up to .591 now? Must've gone on a hot streak.

Eric_Davis
08-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Tonight was fun.

Adam Jones' 2007 debut and Guillen batted 3rd and Jones 7th.

Guillen hit into a DP, then back-to-back called 3rd strikes, then another DP. Six outs in 4 AB's.

Jones hit an 0-1 pitch to left for a single his first at-bat, then turned an 11-pitch at-bat into a single and completely flustered Lester. Down 3-1 at the time, he threw a couple of pitches over to 1st then walked Lopez on 4 pitches. Though only the 4th, it brought out the Red Sox' pitching coach. Two pitches later, Betancourt launched one high into the Left Field Bleachers, 4-3 M's.

Next at-bat, Jones hits one to SS Lugo, who worrying about Jones' speed throws off line for an error and Jones reaches 1st. Now Timlin is pitching and worrying about Jones' speed and throws over to 1st a couple of times and on the next throw tosses it wild advancing Jones to 2nd.

jojo
08-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Tonight was fun.

Adam Jones' 2007 debut and Guillen batted 3rd and Jones 7th.

Guillen hit into a DP, then back-to-back called 3rd strikes, then another DP. Six outs in 4 AB's.

Jones hit an 0-1 pitch to left for a single his first at-bat, then turned an 11-pitch at-bat into a single and completely flustered Lester. Down 3-1 at the time, he threw a couple of pitches over to 1st then walked Lopez on 4 pitches. Though only the 4th, it brought out the Red Sox' pitching coach. Two pitches later, Betancourt launched one high into the Left Field Bleachers, 4-3 M's.

Next at-bat, Jones hits one to SS Lugo, who worrying about Jones' speed throws off line for an error and Jones reaches 1st. Now Timlin is pitching and worrying about Jones' speed and throws over to 1st a couple of times and on the next throw tosses it wild advancing Jones to 2nd.

Yes. Jones is the real deal. I've seen him at Tacoma several times over the last two seasons as well as several times when he was in the Midwest league. He's considered one of the best outfield prospects in baseball for a reason. He's a completely different player than he was a year ago as just about every aspect of his game has taken a step forward-especially concerning his defense.

Speed, power, average, plus defense, cannon arm and a rapid ascent through the minors at an early age....he's the very definition of projectible...the eyes and the stats are in perfect harmony.

I'm cheesing because the Reds have a version of the same player about ready to force Krivsky's hand within the next season as well....

NJReds
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Guillen threw away a lot of money because of that temper and attitude.

BCubb2003
08-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Guillen is outspoken and difficult, a rebuff to Gary Sheffield's sociological theories, but there's a structural thing going on in baseball. The Padres are upset that Linebrink was traded, the Twins are upset that Castillo was traded and Dunn is annoyed at the attempts to trade him.

It's been developing for some years now, but there's a bigger emphasis than ever on giving up on the season at the trading deadline. GMs are so aggressive now about walk years, and the year before walk years, and getting draft picks. The players are expected to give their all until the end of the season while everybody else in the organization has decided to shut it down.

jojo
08-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Guillen is outspoken and difficult, a rebuff to Gary Sheffield's sociological theories, but there's a structural thing going on in baseball. The Padres are upset that Linebrink was traded, the Twins are upset that Castillo was traded and Dunn is annoyed at the attempts to trade him.

It's been developing for some years now, but there's a bigger emphasis than ever on giving up on the season at the trading deadline. GMs are so aggressive now about walk years, and the year before walk years, and getting draft picks. The players are expected to give their all until the end of the season while everybody else in the organization has decided to shut it down.

The Reds were shutdown in June and maybe you can make the case that the Twins have decided 6 games is too steep to overcome. But I'm pretty sure that the FOs for the Padres and Ms still have their fingers crossed. In fact the moves in question for both of those organisations were specifically designed to improve the team's chances this season.

If anything, I think we hear more complaining from players because their union has been so successful and because they have a microphone in their faces 24/7.

Eric_Davis
08-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Guillen has been a good citizen in Seattle until his recent quote. I'm sure it was just his sore ankles talking as the aspirin wore off.

Then why did my sister, who's a huge Mariner's fan, but knew absolutely nothing about Jose Guillen's past or listen ever to a talk show, or ever hear anything from me about him, think he should be off the team because of his selfish attitude long before these comments? He's been his usualy horse's butt this year.

It's because he's been anything but a good teammate for the Mariners before these comments. You've missed something Jojo in your watch of the Mariners. You've somehow blended Guillen's current year's miscreant deeds with his previous years. But, her knowledge of him is only from this year.

It was fun last night watching him make 6 outs in 4 at-bats while Jones succeeded.

Eric_Davis
08-04-2007, 02:25 PM

And then there's the teams that never make a trade at the deadline like the Mariner's, and those players are always quoted as hating Management for not making trades. Remember Jeff Nelson's comments about it? Year after year, the Mariners would stand pat and do nothing and watch as the A's and Angels would pick up some important piece(s) to help them win the division.

jojo
08-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Then why did my sister, who's a huge Mariner's fan, but knew absolutely nothing about Jose Guillen's past or listen ever to a talk show, or ever hear anything from me about him, think he should be off the team because ofhis selfish attitude long before these comments? He's been his usualy horse's butt this year.

It's because he's been anything but a good teammate for the Mariners before these comments. You've missed something Jojo in your watch of the Mariners. You've somehow blended Guillen's current year's miscreant deeds with his previous years. But, her knowledge of him is only from this year.

It was fun last night watching him make 6 outs in 4 at-bats while Jones succeeded.

I think I was sarcastically calling him a grumpy old fart but seriously though your sister has to be listening to/reading something because she's not going to hear about Guillen being an ass from the Ms broadcast crew. Besides he's generally been considered a positive influence on the Ms clubhouse (aside from the need to post guards next to Jarrod Washburn, but hey, the Ms could use more people who HATE all things Anaheim).

The Ms organisation is about as kumbaya as it gets from the top down to the clubhouse. Believe it or not, Guillen has pretty much fit in up to this point. He's done very little public grumping while going all out on gimpy ankles. If an organisation that trips over itself in an effort to market itself as family friendly has no problems with Guillen in '07 thus far, then I guess, I don't either.....

I know alot of people hate him and just assume he's causing trouble daily. But, really before his recent comments, what other incidents are there to put on the Guillen being Guillen list for '07?
Anyway, he's probably just critically wounded his chances for getting the Ms to extend his contract. I'm thinking the odds that Wlad gets traded have decreased a bit.

Number of puppies killed in Safeco to date: 0

jojo
08-04-2007, 04:43 PM
And then there's the teams that never make a trade at the deadline like the Mariner's, and those players are always quoted as hating Management for not making trades. Remember Jeff Nelson's comments about it? Year after year, the Mariners would stand pat and do nothing and watch as the A's and Angels would pick up some important piece(s) to help them win the division.

To be fair, an organisation that chased a pennant by trading Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb might be expected to be a little gun shy.... :cool:

Seriously though, if Bavasi gets the blame for 2000-2003, does Krivsky get credit for the Big Red Machine?

Eric_Davis
08-05-2007, 12:51 AM
To be fair, an organisation that chased a pennant by trading Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb might be expected to be a little gun shy.... :cool:

Seriously though, if Bavasi gets the blame for 2000-2003, does Krivsky get credit for the Big Red Machine?

Wasn't that awful? Then there was the Rickey Henderson effort, although he didn't do too bad his first week or so, but he quickly tailed off after that.

It's so sad how much the Mariners could use Adam Dunn or Junior. They really suffer a lot when facing right-handers, as all their power comes from the right side. I can't believe the Mariners didn't offer Clement for Dunn, even for 2 months. It would be worth it, and they'd still get 2 picks out of it at the end of the year if they couldn't retain Dunn, and the REDS would have taken, or should have taken Clement if he was offered. Jojihma's not going anywhere for the next three years, so where is Clement going to play?

Eric_Davis
08-05-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm thinking the odds that Wlad gets traded have decreased a bit.

Trade him to the REDS if it's Vlad the Impaler. Bats seem to be a good omen for them right now.

jojo
08-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Wasn't that awful? Then there was the Rickey Henderson effort, although he didn't do too bad his first week or so, but he quickly tailed off after that.

It's so sad how much the Mariners could use Adam Dunn or Junior. They really suffer a lot when facing right-handers, as all their power comes from the right side. I can't believe the Mariners didn't offer Clement for Dunn, even for 2 months. It would be worth it, and they'd still get 2 picks out of it at the end of the year if they couldn't retain Dunn, and the REDS would have taken, or should have taken Clement if he was offered. Jojihma's not going anywhere for the next three years, so where is Clement going to play?

Johjima is only signed through '08 and he's 31. I think the Ms really have their fingers crossed that Clement can actually catch. The Ms really focused on pitching this trade season.

Their priorities were:

Starter>>>>>>>>>>set up guy>>>>>>>offense.

They really seem ok with not addressing the offense given the options that were available. I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall in their war room....

Maybe it is strange that the Reds didn't try to get Balentein and/or Clement. It's possible that the two teams talked but weren't a good fit priority-wise. Who knows, maybe the Reds don't like Balentein or Clement.

Eric_Davis
08-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Guillen followed his wonderful 6-out in 4 at-bat performance last night with the "Golden Sombrero" tonight against Dice-K. He did draw a walk in his last at-bat with 2 outs in the 9th in a 4-3 game to give them a chance to tie it up. Jones then pinch-ran for him and stole 2nd on the 2nd pitch.