PDA

View Full Version : Wayne calling the shots...

Matt700wlw
08-02-2007, 07:52 PM
PETE'S INPUT: Mackanin is starting whomever Krivsky tells him to.

Some managers make that call.

"I'm just not in a position to make demands as to what I want," Mackanin said. "I have a good grip on the guys who are here. Some of the guys who are at the Triple-A level I don't know as much as I'd like. I'd always defer to people who recommend players.

"That's what Triple-A managers and GMs and farm directors do. They make recommendations. I'm fine with that."

- Fay

Reds4Life
08-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow. Micro-managing Wayne and Puppet Pete.

icehole3
08-02-2007, 08:01 PM
this could be an ugly off-season

RedLegSuperStar
Guess Wayne didn't want to keep the team assembled to just give Pete a chance to be the manager next season.

Matt700wlw
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/100509/2/istockphoto_100509_marionette.jpg

RedLegSuperStar
08-02-2007, 08:03 PM

For Wayne.. I truly believe Walt Jockerty will be the GM for the 2008 Cincinnati Reds

dougdirt
08-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Well that might explain a .308 OBP in the leadoff spot...

On the bright side that speed will help you score runs right? Oh, he has to get on base first? Well crap.

Unassisted
08-02-2007, 08:10 PM
I took it to mean that there is showcasing going on. For those who are wanting waiver-wire trades to happen, the players to be traded need to demonstrate their performance.

dougdirt
08-02-2007, 08:13 PM
I took it to mean that there is showcasing going on. For those who are wanting waiver-wire trades to happen, the players to be traded need to demonstrate their performance.

Well maybe Wayne should have just done some trading you know.... before the deadline? Imagine that.

icehole3
08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Wayne and Pete talking lineups

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/pinocchio/16.jpg

Unassisted
08-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Well maybe Wayne should have just done some trading you know.... before the deadline? Imagine that.

Yep... I assume that the lineup approval was happening before the deadline, too.

Blimpie
08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Where is Billy Martin when you need him?

Ltlabner
08-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Well....Wayne is certinally removing all blame from every one but himself by doing stuff like this.

UKFlounder

He's certainly not acting as a known "interim" manager on a bottom-of-the-barrel team. He's simply keeping the seat warm for the rest of the season - no surprise there (though I guess it is suprising he actually admitted it)

Aronchis
Mack really is a temp. Color me surprised.

redsmetz
08-02-2007, 10:06 PM

I think you're exactly right, Unassisted. It seemed pretty obvious to me - not micromanaging at all.

NJReds
08-02-2007, 10:11 PM
If Wayne wants to manage, then he should be the interm manager.

edabbs44
08-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Looks like Narron wasn't fully responsible for the lineups either, since they haven't changed all that much. Thank God we got rid of that dead weight.

Matt700wlw
08-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Is any big name manager going to want to come here if Wayne calls the shots and with the mess he's assembled?

Hopefully it is just the showcasing.....but I wonder.

edabbs44
08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Is any big name manager going to want to come here if Wayne calls the shots and with the mess he's assembled?

Hopefully it is just the showcasing.....but I wonder.

I seriously doubt Wayne will be calling any shots after this season other than the shots in his own house. And that might be a stretch.

red-in-la
08-02-2007, 10:25 PM

It's ALREADY ugly......can we just get to the off-season part asap?

edabbs44
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM

I'm getting fired up for the '08 draft.

jojo
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Me too....I wonder who they'll pass on next year.... :cool:

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Me too. Brian Matusz or Pedro Alvarez, baby.

Stormy
08-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Yea, all we need is another Conine, Gonzalez and Stanton, and we're set. I just hope this offseason is as productive as last years. :beerme:

edabbs44
08-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Me too....I wonder who they'll pass on next year.... :cool:

If the board thinks I'm bitter now, wait until they pass on an absolute stud. Prediction: I will freak.

edabbs44
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Yea, all we need is another Conine, Gonzalez and Stanton, and we're set. I just hope this offseason is as productive as last years. :beerme:

We don't need another Stanton or Gonzalez...that's the beauty of Wayne Krivsky. They're already here, baby! Everyone gets a multi-year deal!

Stormy
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
We don't need another Stanton or Gonzalez...that's the beauty of Wayne Krivsky. They're already here, baby! Everyone gets a multi-year deal!

Good point, those 2 gifts will keep on giving. What's that, $6+ million per for 37IP of a 5.11ERA, and .297OBP? ;) Now, if only we can extend Conine and talk him out of retirement, 2008 NLCS here we come!

KronoRed
08-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I actually like that Wayne is calling the shots on who starts, what I don't like is who is he choosing to start

jojo
08-02-2007, 10:34 PM

Maybe if Krivsky offers him a 2 year extension, the Reds can coax Conine away from retirement.

Falls City Beer
08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
For Wayne.. I truly believe Walt Jockerty will be the GM for the 2008 Cincinnati Reds

That's not going to happen. I'm ambivalent about the Reds getting a guy like Jocketty; I think it could hurt as much as it could help. But regardless, Walt Jocketty's coming nowhere near the Reds' GMship next season or ever.

jojo
08-02-2007, 10:40 PM
That's not going to happen. I'm ambivalent about the Reds getting a guy like Jocketty; I think it could hurt as much as it could help. But regardless, Walt Jocketty's coming nowhere near the Reds' GMship next season or ever.

Yep alot of people are acting like it's a given but I'd be surprised if WJ joined the Reds.

westofyou
08-03-2007, 12:36 AM

In 1972, the Tigers' Billy Martin pulled names out of a hat to order his lineup against Cleveland, and wound up with the plodding slugger Norm Cash batting leadoff and the anemic shortstop Eddie Brinkman at cleanup. Deliciously, Brinkman wound up in the middle of the afternoon's key rally, doubling home the tying run and scoring the game-winner in the Tigers' 3-2 victory.

REDREAD
08-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Geez, there's no point in showcasing now. If Wayne didn't like what he was offered before the deadline, it's highly unlikely the teams are going up their offer now.

Wayne just has to realize that he doesn't really have any hot commodities (that he's willing to trade).

I'm just thankful that Wayne can't extend himself to a multiyear deal. Hopefully he's just keeping the seat warm.

westofyou
08-03-2007, 02:06 AM
If Wayne didn't like what he was offered before the deadline, it's highly unlikely the teams are going up their offer now.

It's a league wide epidemic, cheap talent is being hoarded, crap is the offer in most cases. At least at deadline time. That's the current state of things from what I can surmise.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070731&content_id=2119844&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

The Astros fielded many offers for infielders Mike Lamb and Mark Loretta, the two players who were coveted by other teams and available. Closer Brad Lidge is believed to have been off the table.

The offers, however, were far below what the Astros would want in exchange for their two veteran infielders. There was more interest in Loretta, but Purpura passed on accepting offers for either, mainly because interested clubs weren't offering future Major League talent.

"We were really underwhelmed with the kind of players that we were offered," Purpura said. "Basically, they were organizational-type players that weren't going to help us in the future. "You have a line that you draw as an organization, as far as what's acceptable compensation for a player. Why take on players that you don't project as Major League players? You're just cluttering your organization. We made proposals for better players. We couldn't get anybody to accept those kinds of proposals."

Purpura prefers to keep Loretta and Lamb and receive Draft picks for them should the club not re-sign them. The GM, however, has not ruled out making an attempt to re-sign one or both once they hit free agency this winter.

BRM
08-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Clint Hurdle said the same thing WOY.

Rockies manager Clint Hurdle, who participated in trade deliberations with O'Dowd, said, "It just seemed like we were offered coal and they wanted gold nuggets."

Chip R
08-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Maybe if Krivsky offers him a 2 year extension, the Reds can coax Conine away from retirement.

He does have a young body. :eek:

KronoRed
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
He does have a young body. :eek:

4 years then :D

M2
08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Nice to hear Purpura and Hurdle coming out and making those statements. The compensation constipation in the league at the moment is ridiculous.

deltachi8
08-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Nice to hear Purpura and Hurdle coming out and making those statements. The compensation constipation in the league at the moment is ridiculous.

JP Riccardi was on the FAN in Toronto (Sports radio station) for his weekly interview and basically said the same thing as Purpura. Teams were not willing to trade value for value.

BRM
08-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Teams simply aren't willing to do what it takes to win a championship I guess. Well, you could make a case for Atlanta.

Stormy
08-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Teams simply aren't willing to do what it takes to win a championship I guess. Well, you could make a case for Atlanta.

Which is why I will be pulling for Atlanta to make a run deep in the playoffs, against every instinct of common decency in my body. ;) They were extremely bold in parting with prized young talent in exchange for the chance to win it all right now. If that tactic is successful, and as their moves were so aggressive and high profile, perhaps that compensation stagnation that M2 (and so many GMs) is alluding to, will begin to break apart.

It is funny to see so many GMs bemoaning the state of trade negotiations, when you have to guess that many of them are as guilty as the next guy of this analysis paralysis regarding their own coveted young prospects. That's one network that covers for each other with apologetics, even as they're stabbing each other in the back. ;)

M2
08-03-2007, 01:31 PM

The Red Sox too. Gabbard and Murphy aren't stellar, but if other teams were willing to move guys of their caliber there would have been a trading frenzy.

BRM
08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Will the other contenders lament their lack of activity if Atlanta and Boston meet each other in the World Series? I sure hope so.

gonelong
08-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Personally I am glad to see the smaller markets hold out for decent returns instead of heading the route of "salary dump". I think you'll see this swing back around as large market teams get frustrated with their teams failing to improve at the dead-line and putting pressure on their front offices.

GL

Mario-Rijo
08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Will the other contenders lament their lack of activity if Atlanta and Boston meet each other in the World Series? I sure hope so.

Good lord I hope so! This is utterly ridiculous, the state of baseball. If a small market team cannot afford impact players in FA or a trade then what do they do? Hope to find a nugget here and there in the rule 5 (Hamilton, Burton) or a lower level trade (BP) then the only other option is to draft and develop well.

Seems like a very slow turnaround for the Reds, Pirates and the like. They may have to make a Detroit-like commitment to a high profile FA (Pudge) and make a splash that way or just hope they get it right in the drafts and development (Pitt has not, Milwaukee has).

jojo
08-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Personally I am glad to see the smaller markets hold out for decent returns instead of heading the route of "salary dump". I think you'll see this swing back around as large market teams get frustrated with their teams failing to improve at the dead-line and putting pressure on their front offices.

GL

I think we're going to see a correction in the FA market.....

GAC
08-04-2007, 08:06 AM
It's a league wide epidemic, cheap talent is being hoarded, crap is the offer in most cases. At least at deadline time. That's the current state of things from what I can surmise.

I think you two guys nailed it.

And in Krivsky's defense - maybe he has learned his lesson (learning on the job) and has become apprehensive (or playing hardball) after last year's trade that didn't work out so well?

WVRedsFan
08-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I think you two guys nailed it.

And in Krivsky's defense - maybe he has learned his lesson (learning on the job) and has become apprehensive (or playing hardball) after last year's trade that didn't work out so well?

I don't think there's any doubt about that. He has even admitted it was a horrible trade and I imagine tells himself about it every day. That's a problem. What if Colonel Sanders, after failing in business a couple of times, had not taken a chance on Kentucky Fried Chicken? What if Robert Yates had quit taking chances after losing two drivers in accidents (Davey Allison and Kenny Irwin) and not hired Dale Jarrett who became the 1999 champion? Krivsky needs to do what he thinks is right or good for the team. He'll get back to that (learning on the job) I imagine.

And one more thing. Mario mentioned small market baseball. You know what could cure our status as small market and infuse cash into this franchise? Attendance and a better media deal. If the Reds suddenly became winners in the eyes of people with an attitude of winning every year, you could fill up GABP almost every game. We cry about being in a small market constantly, but if the money is *invested* to put the best team on the field, i think the media deal would be better and the money would come in, but first you have to have the product, which we don't. Simplification? Maybe, but look at St. Louis and Cleveland. Trying to get a ticket for games in those two cities is very difficult because people see a future in going to games. Justa thought.

Tony Cloninger
08-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Does not Billy Bean do the same thing?

It's okay for him to do it......but i guess he does it "the right way"

jojo
08-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Does not Billy Bean do the same thing?

It's okay for him to do it......but i guess he does it "the right way"

Well to be fair, Beane has continually fielded winning teams. I'm not sure Oakland's FO is a good comp for the Reds.