Triples
08-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Starting tonight in LF batting cleanup

Chi-Town Red
08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Deserved promotion hope he does well!!!

Triples
08-02-2007, 10:03 PM
1 for 5 but the first day is typically tough sledding.

AmarilloRed
08-03-2007, 01:11 AM
Daniel Dorn is one of the most promising outfield prospects in the Reds minor league system. Still, I have to admit there are not a lot of outfield prospects in the system.:thumbup:

gedred69
08-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Dorn has in less than a year, jumped from Rookie League, by-passing Low"A", started slow at high"A", only to end up promoted later to "AA". Not Bad at all. Add in Bruce, and Hopper, that ain't bad for a Farm system's prospective outfielders. (And don't give up on Stubbs yet).

dougdirt
08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Dorn would rank behind only Bruce, Stubbs and Dickerson in my mind in terms of OF prospects in the Reds system. I give Dickerson an edge because of his level, and his defense in CF. Stubbs, people can hate on him all they want, he has shown me enough at this point to warrant him being where he is on my list.

JaxRed
08-03-2007, 09:01 PM
It looks like Garthwaite was the loser in this, I think he was released by Reds.

Az. Reds Fan
08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
It looks like Garthwaite was the loser in this, I think he was released by Reds.

Eh, Garthwaite, as I'm sure you know, was just an organizational soldier...just like he was with the D'backs before the Reds got him.

Still, it sucks for him...

texasdave
08-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I suppose the entire domino effect played out something like this:
1)Daniel Dorn to AA (sarasota to chattanooga)
2)Chris Heisey to High A (dayton to sarasota)
3)Keltavious Jones to Low A (billings to dayton)
4)justin Reed to high rookie (?) (gcl to billings)

dougdirt
08-04-2007, 01:28 AM
I suppose the entire domino effect played out something like this:
1)Daniel Dorn to AA (sarasota to chattanooga)
2)Chris Heisey to High A (dayton to sarasota)
3)Keltavious Jones to Low A (billings to dayton)
4)justin Reed to high rookie (?) (gcl to billings)

exactly right.

I like all of those guys.

AdamDunn
08-04-2007, 03:30 AM
how is Dorn defensively?

indy_dave00
08-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Danny Dorn can hit problem for him and Dickerson is they are lefthanded hitters. The Reds need a few righthanded hitter to balance the lineup. One thing I like about Dorn is he is a better contact hitter than Dickerson (136 strikeouts in 394 ab's) , Stubbs (122 in 390 ab's ), Bruce ( 107 in 420) -Dorn (69 in 346). Dorn is a solid hitter uses all fields has some pop 12 homers.

Chris Dickerson's striking out at such an alarming rate considering he has mediocre power and his age 25 are 2 signs that tell me that he has no real major league future. He has blazing speed has 25 steals and uses it well in the outfield but doesn't make contact enough.

Drew Stubbs is pretty much a right handed copy of Dickerson . Fans too much considering not a home run hitter. Very fast , good defensive outfielder and again age 23 , in low A ball.

Danny Dorn (also 23) was almost an after thought draft pick out of college even though he was an All American. He lacks the arm and speed of Stubbs but is a far better overall player.
He shined at Billings after being drafted .354 , 17-2b's , 2-3b's, 8 homers and 40 rbi's in 60 games. He was so far ahead of Stubbs that Dorn went straight to High A ball to begin the season and Reds had a shortage of outfielders , was assumed better to rush him than risk Stubbs struggling there. At Sarasota he hit .281 , 12 homers 66 rbi and posted a .359 on base pct. He was recently moved to Chattanooga and put in the clean up spot. Dorn lacks the flashy skills still of Dickerson and Stubbs but if any of the 3 taste any success at the Major League level I'd put my money on Dan Dorn , he has a certain way about him that to me shows he's more a baseball player and not just a very good athlete like Chris and Drew.

dougdirt
08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Drew Stubbs is 22.

indy_dave00
08-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Sorry I am corrected Stubbs turns 23 in 2 months. But still Drew Stubbs is unfortunetly now 2 level behind Dorn and only 3 months younger Dorn turned 23 , 2 weeks ago.

At this point I know still earlier in their careers based on last season and this Dorn has proven to be a far better pro.

Hopefully Drew Stubbs can develop a way to quicken his bat and remove the still noticable loop in his swing. He has all the other tools to be a big leaguer , but all he has shown so far is he's very good athlete playing baseball . He can make a nice living as a career minor leaguer because at this point he is being caught and pasted in development by at least 2 outfielders picked after him Dan Dorn and Chris Heisey, and Keltavious Jones drafted below him is now at Dayton too.

Drew is able to use 3 of the 5 skills true stars have , his arm , speed and defense. But while he has projected power thats not been shown nor his hitting for average. I know he will not be 23 til next season , but when you are drafted as high as he was out of a highly regarded college after 3 years one expects a little more progress .

Drew could suddenly take off but so far he seems headed the same direction as B.J. Szymanski , a highly regarded athlete drafted high who just can't make enough contact to use his great tools. As a Reds fan I'm pulling for Drew , but so far he's not showing what you'd have hoped he would.

dougdirt
08-04-2007, 01:05 PM
When Stubbs was drafted I projected him making his MLB debut at 25. He will require patience as his game was raw, despite being at a top end college program.

As for his power, he has shown the ability to use it, just not as consistantly as you would like.
As for the Szymanski and Stubbs comparison, I don't think they are even close. Stubbs has OPS'd over .800 twice in a month this year in Dayton. BJ did it once in 2 years there.

Superdude
08-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Dorn lacks the flashy skills still of Dickerson and Stubbs but if any of the 3 taste any success at the Major League level I'd put my money on Dan Dorn , he has a certain way about him that to me shows he's more a baseball player and not just a very good athlete like Chris and Drew.

I'd take Dorn over Dickerson. You could definitely make a case for taking Dorn over Stubbs based just on offensive ability, but Stubbs is a much better defender at a tougher defensive position and even though he hasn't shown it, people were calling him a potential 30 homer threat when we drafted him. I'll stay with Stubbs...for now.

camisadelgolf
08-04-2007, 02:49 PM
As far as prospects go, I'd consider Dorn and Dickerson to be about equal; I think ranking them is a matter of deciding which skills you think are more valuable.

I think the reason Stubbs gets so much heat is because the two first round draft picks before him were Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce; that's kind of a lot to live up to.

If there's talk about outfielders in the system, I'm surprised there isn't more mention of Chris Heisey.

johngalt
08-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Prediction - Drew Stubbs will never see the home clubhouse of the Louisville Bats.

And not in a good way.

camisadelgolf
08-05-2007, 12:39 AM
The Reds are switching affiliates?