PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Ties Aaron

Dom Heffner
08-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Wow.

755 is in the books.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-04-2007, 10:34 PM
I wish it was in LA instead of San Diego, they would have let him have it.

RBA
08-04-2007, 11:19 PM
I wish it was in LA instead of San Diego, they would have let him have it.

I think they would of stood up and cheered like any other city. Like it or not, it's history in the making.

jojo
08-04-2007, 11:45 PM
I think they would of stood up and cheered like any othe city. Like it or not, it's history in the making.

If Bonds hit the record setter in LA during either the first or second inning, there wouldn't be any Dodgers fans in the stadium to boo him...

OldRightHander
08-05-2007, 12:03 AM
If Bonds hit the record setter in LA during either the first or second inning, there wouldn't be any Dodgers fans in the stadium to boo him...

Or in the 9th inning.

GullyFoyle
08-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I love how Pedro Gomez said on ESPN right after the home run that the crowd was 50/50 cheering/booing and then two hours later on ESPN News was saying it was 70/30 cheering....

yeah... right.

Jpup
08-05-2007, 12:23 AM
I love how Pedro Gomez said on ESPN right after the home run that the crowd was 50/50 cheering/booing and then two hours later on ESPN News was saying it was 70/30 cheering....

yeah... right.

from the way it appeared on TV, the 70/30 would be about right. The crowd was pretty into it.

WVPacman
08-05-2007, 12:28 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Thats what I think about bonds!!:thumbup:

MWM
08-05-2007, 12:38 AM
It makes my stomach turn that Barry Bonds is even with Aaron.

KronoRed
08-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Hope he hits the breaking one soon, so I can stop seeing it everywhere

WVPacman
08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
It makes my stomach turn that Barry Bonds is even with Aaron.

He will pass Aaron but he will NEVER be the homerun king.That honor will stay with Aaron until Arod breaks it. I also think Maris still holds the record for the most hr's hit in a season.

GullyFoyle
08-05-2007, 03:34 AM
from the way it appeared on TV, the 70/30 would be about right. The crowd was pretty into it.

Just call me a cynic... I assume the TV producers would mike it in such a way to put a good "spin" on it and it seems like somebody talked to Gomez about his percentages.

Why else would Gomez, who witness it first hand, change his mind from his initial reaction. Wouldn't most people assume their first reaction their least biased?

Jpup
08-05-2007, 04:49 AM
Just call me a cynic... I assume the TV producers would mike it in such a way to put a good "spin" on it and it seems like somebody talked to Gomez about his percentages.

Why else would Gomez, who witness it first hand, change his mind from his initial reaction. Wouldn't most people assume their first reaction their least biased?

all I can say is that I watched the game and the crowd was cheering for him most of the time. they would jeer when he was walked and mostly cheered when he homered. the crowd was definitely in the majority as far as cheering for him. Bud Selig looks like and idiot through all of this. He tried not to have a reaction, but it sure appeared that he was saying "come on Barry" before he hit the homer.

RedLegSuperStar
08-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Hope he hits the breaking one soon, so I can stop seeing it everywhere

I couldn't agree more! I'm so sick of Barry Bonds. Hank Aaron is still in my book the HR King

RedsBaron
08-05-2007, 07:30 AM
So Balco's creature tied Hank Aaron........can't say that I am cheering.

Unassisted
08-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I find nothing to like or admire about this feat and I was hoping we wouldn't have a thread about it. IMO, the best way for fans who don't approve of Bonds to commemorate his milestones is to ignore them.

I have no love for the teams A-Rod plays on and has played for, but I'll gladly cheer for him when he passes Bonds in a few years.

RFS62
08-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Bonds is like a great villain in pro wrestling. He serves a very useful purpose.

He generates tons of publicity. He gives fans someone to hate. He's turned baseball into a morality play.

Look at the attention that Aaron is now receiving. Look at how the world perceives Griffey now.

And someday in the not too distant future, he'll do the nearly impossible. He'll make ARod a player most of will be rooting for when he closes in on Bonds' record.

Personally, I can't stand him. But I still admire his game, even though I have no doubt that the last five years or so are a fraud.

He's got the most devastating killing stroke ever seen in baseball.

He is the perfect blend of hitting art and science ever created, no matter what we think of him personally.

Matt700wlw
08-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Go A-rod!

Matt700wlw
08-05-2007, 11:30 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/5028129.html

jojo
08-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Bonds is like a great villain in pro wrestling. He serves a very useful purpose.

He generates tons of publicity. He gives fans someone to hate. He's turned baseball into a morality play.

Look at the attention that Aaron is now receiving. Look at how the world perceives Griffey now.

And someday in the not too distant future, he'll do the nearly impossible. He'll make ARod a player most of will be rooting for when he closes in on Bonds' record.

Personally, I can't stand him. But I still admire his game, even though I have no doubt that the last five years or so are a fraud.

He's got the most devastating killing stroke ever seen in baseball.

He is the perfect blend of hitting art and science ever created, no matter what we think of him personally.

Ya. He's the best hitter I have ever seen and people are starting to forget that he was likely one of the best defensive leftfielders to have an extended career as well.

IMHO, Bonds has become the public face of many fans' disgust for steroids. That's understandable but really it's misplaced anger because it's the era that such fans should be cursing. Maybe by ragging on Bonds, thats really what is happening.

I think Bonds' accomplishment is made that much more impressive knowing he did it against the greatest pitching science has mustered to this point in history. Often the effect of steroids on pitching gets overlooked in the vitriolic venting that gets concentrated on Bonds.

To me steroids is a shame because it fractures the romantic illusion in our minds that baseball is a pure game. Really though, steroids are bad because they enhanced performance by allowing quicker recovery from game abuse and workouts. But what about the 30+ years before steroids where the use of uppers enhanced performance by allowing a higher energy level to be achieved. Essentially they are two different ways to get at the same thing.

For those that harken back to pre-world world war 1 baseball as the golden age, there was never an era in baseball that was more stained by blatant cheating and scandal. That leaves us with the Yankees. Unfortunately players of color weren't deemed worthy enough to compete then.

I'm not making excuses for Bonds and his many steroid-using colleagues. I'm just not hung up on the steroid issue or asterisks because in this case an asterisk actually perpetuates a lie about baseball's true history (it's really closer to revisionaist history than a cleansing of the record).

My hope-Bonds hits the record breaker at home to a raucous ovation and it's a jaw-dropping mammoth 500+ ft shot into the bay....and the ball is lost forever.

Blimpie
08-05-2007, 11:47 AM
You ripped Clay Hensley's 91 mph fastball into the left-field seats at Petco Park. You took a few steps, clapped your hands quickly and began the 755th trip around the bases. You embraced your son, Nikolai, at home plate and were greeted by teammates.

In an odd twist, Hensley was suspended for using performance-enhancing substances while in the minor leagues in 2005.

I never even picked up on that last night when I heard he hit it against Hensley. Weird-o-rama.

RANDY IN INDY
08-05-2007, 01:00 PM
It's a big ol' WC for me.

On another note, he's faced a lot of extended pitching rosters that are quite watered down, in my humble opinion. Just another reason to raise the mound.

REDJAKE
08-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Glad to see not much interest in this post.I even hate to see someone giving info on his at bats.

Chip R
08-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I never even picked up on that last night when I heard he hit it against Hensley. Weird-o-rama.

So do both players get asterisks? ;)

Eric_Davis
08-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Change of heart...slight.

So, I go to Sportsline.com today and I see a picture of a smiling Barry Bonds.

I had to do a double-take. His eyes were wide open. He looked happy. He looked, well...welcoming. I'm thinking to myself, "Oh, my God! Who is this guy? There really is a human being inside that body and mind. Barry Bonds does have a soul."

Then I notice that the article is about that and nothing else. Something happened, at least for a day, that showed the kid in Barry Bonds, the humanity that we all should have been seeing from him for all these years. It's probably the same Barry Bonds that plays PlayStation with Ken Griffey, Jr into the wee hours of the night, probably the same Barry Bonds that hung around Candlestick as a child playing with the Alou brothers, Stretch, and SayHey, and the same Barry Bonds that smiled when he held his children in his arms at the hospital after they were born.

For once, I could be happy for Barry Bonds, which is all I ever wanted to begin with.

MartyFan
08-05-2007, 03:25 PM

I had to do a double-take. His eyes were wide open. He looked happy. He looked, well...welcoming. I'm thinking to myself, "Oh, my God! Who is this guy? There really is a human being inside that body and mind. Barry Bonds does have a soul."

Then I notice that the article is about that and nothing else. Something happened, at least for a day, that showed the kid in Barry Bonds, the humanity that we all should have been seeing from him for all these years. It's probably the same Barry Bonds that plays PlayStation with Ken Griffey, Jr into the wee hours of the night, probably the same Barry Bonds that hung around Candlestick as a child playing with the Alou brothers, Stretch, and SayHey, and the same Barry Bonds that smiled when he held his children in his arms at the hospital after they were born.

For once, I could be happy for Barry Bonds, which is all I ever wanted to begin with.

Give me a tissue...that was beautiful.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-05-2007, 06:03 PM

I had a different outlook after watching his press conference. He just seemed like a normal guy who happened to have hit a bunch of homeruns.

Eric_Davis
08-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I had a different outlook after watching his press conference. He just seemed like a normal guy who happened to have hit a bunch of homeruns.

That's just it. He seemed like a normal guy for once.

Jpup
08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
That's just it. He seemed like a normal guy for once.

he's seemed that way to me all season. Maybe he is just acting, who knows?

jojo
08-05-2007, 07:52 PM
My guess is that if Barry could trade a career ending injury at homer #500 for the ability to have a barbecue with his dad this afternoon, he'd do it in a heartbeat. I think we care more about #756 than he does. Its just as RF said, he's a blend of art and science that has given him the chance. I don't think this was his ultimate goal really.

savafan
08-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I've had the pleasure to be in Barry's company on two occasions, and on both of those, he was well behaved, responsive to his fans, kind to the nearby kids, and generally fun to be around...

One of those instances was in my youth, and the second was in my adulthood.

I've tried to hate Barry, but I find it hard to do so.

So many forget that Bonds was already one of the greatest players in the game before steroids. He was a rare combination of speed and power, while playing an almost flawless defense. He was a certain hall of famer, once named player of the decade, and won an inconceivable seven MVP awards.

sonny
08-06-2007, 01:52 AM
I've had the pleasure to be in Barry's company on two occasions, and on both of those, he was well behaved, responsive to his fans, kind to the nearby kids, and generally fun to be around...

One of those instances was in my youth, and the second was in my adulthood.

I've tried to hate Barry, but I find it hard to do so.

So many forget that Bonds was already one of the greatest players in the game before steroids. He was a rare combination of speed and power, while playing an almost flawless defense. He was a certain hall of famer, once named player of the decade, and won an inconceivable seven MVP awards.

Yeah, it hard to ignore the career this guy has had.

RFS62
08-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Yeah, it hard to ignore the career this guy has had.

Pretty much says it all.

What would it take for so many people to be able to look past his incredible talent and the career he's had?

How big a jerk would you have to be to pull that off?

cumberlandreds
08-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Pretty much says it all.

What would it take for so many people to be able to look past his incredible talent and the career he's had?

How big a jerk would you have to be to pull that off?

A pretty big jerk. Enough for me to look past him. The steriod stuff doesn't bother me as much as some people. But being a complete jerk does. I could say worse but jerk is close enough. When baseball really needed a good person, like a Ripken or Gwynn, they get a complete opposite. Bonds is a great talent. What he did prior to 1998 was enought to get him into the HOF,IMO. But being like he is doesn't make up for that. Hopefully he just goes away after this season and we don't hear from him again.

bucksfan2
08-06-2007, 08:42 AM
My $.02. Bonds is probably the greatest player that I have ever seen. Both in his days in Pittsburgh and also now with the Giants. For years he was one of the most feared hitter in baseball. Did Bonds use steriods, sure, however he never failed a test and if someone hadn't broken the law we would have never had this big of a scandal. What I find ironic is that all the players that have used performance enhancing drugs havn't had the longeviety that Bonds had. Sosa cheated his way out of the game and McGwire rode a horse off into the sunset (along with a bad back) before the scandal hit. There will be a clowd that hangs over this era of baseball and Bonds is going to take the majority of the heat. Right or wrong steroids in this era were as prevalant as uppers were back in the glory days of baseball, the 60's and 70's. The ironic question is how many homers did bonds hit off of pitchers who were using performancing enhancing drugs?

Unassisted
08-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I read a phrase in a local sportswriter's column today that really resonated with me. He was quoting another writer who had said that Bonds breaking the home run record will "pierce the soul of baseball." I know it's a lofty metaphor, but it captures the essence of what I dislike about this.

Roy Tucker
08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
It's always a difficult thing to get a historical perspective on current events.

As many have said, this isn't so much of Bonds problem as it a much larger steroid issue and the effect it has had upon baseball records. Barry is just a lightning rod for the issue.

MLB has a decent steroid policy in place now, but many horses got out before the barn door got closed. Selig continues to not have a clue as to how to deal with this and I don't think he ever will. Nor will any of his successors. Affixing an asterisk on suspected steroid-enhanced records opens a huge can of worms, not to mention legal issues.

I'm just left feeling a little jaded about records set during the steroid era and that they've cheapened the game. Maybe time will give me some perspective.

jojo
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
I read a phrase in a local sportswriter's column today that really resonated with me. He was quoting another writer who had said that Bonds breaking the home run record will "pierce the soul of baseball." I know it's a lofty metaphor, but it captures the essence of what I dislike about this.

Yes but that's a romantic bit of hyperbole that throws caution to the wind concerning historical accuracy.

IslandRed
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't think it's going to be that big a deal down the road. The numbers 60 and 714 were held in such reverence because they were Babe Ruth's numbers, he was THE baseball legend, and 60/714 were used as argument-enders. That's also why Maris and Aaron's pursuits were so widely rooted against -- if the argument has been made for decades that Ruth was the greatest ever because he holds these records and then the records are threatened, then what?

But as the various home run records have been broken, I think that implicit connection between "most home runs" and "greatest player ever" has been broken as well, and with it the sanctity of the records themselves diminish. Bonds will hold both records very shortly, just like Ruth did, but it's not going to have the same resonance. And that's okay.

Really, seeing how all the steroid talk has had minimal effect on tangible measures of baseball's popularity, I think the body public has dealt with the issue pragmatically. The NFL became the big dog of American sports despite known widespread PED usage for decades, and hardly anyone (who's paid attention) thinks pro football players aren't still getting away with stuff. We just expect the league to put a reasonable policy in place and punish the players who get caught. The NFL did, MLB's getting there.

As for records, the notion that numbers can be directly compared across baseball eras is taking a hit, and has for some time. But that's nothing new either. Everyone already knows by now that a 30-homer season meant one thing in 1930 and another in 1968. The people who truly care about the comparisons are already resorting to advanced math, not just career counting numbers.

Danny Serafini
08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
It's always a difficult thing to get a historical perspective on current events.

So true. If I had to guess, I'd say 30 years from now people will look back on the single season HR numbers from the steroid era the same way people now look at innings pitched numbers from the 1880s - crazy untouchable numbers that were products of a different time and different style of game. The numbers lack real meaning because the context of the game was so different. It's an asterisk of a different sort I guess. But that's just a guess.

RFS62
08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
So true. If I had to guess, I'd say 30 years from now people will look back on the single season HR numbers from the steroid era the same way people now look at innings pitched numbers from the 1880s - crazy untouchable numbers that were products of a different time and different style of game. The numbers lack real meaning because the context of the game was so different. It's an asterisk of a different sort I guess. But that's just a guess.

That's assuming that medical science stays the same as it is now with performance enhancing drugs and techniques.

It won't.

We're in the horse and buggy stage of performance enhancement. The future will bring safe and legal methods which will dwarf the steroids of today.

westofyou
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Speaking of jerks, Bud Selig certainly is cementing his status as one of the games biggest jerks with his performance this past week.

BRM
08-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Speaking of jerks, Bud Selig certainly is cementing his status as one of the games biggest jerks with his performance this past week.

Absolutely. His reaction to Bonds hitting #755 was nothing short of pathetic.

westofyou
08-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Absolutely. His reaction to Bonds hitting #755 was nothing short of pathetic.

Yep, especially coming form the guy who helped steal Seattle's first expansion team, while he was suing MLB for doing the same thing with the Braves 4 years prior. He's a hypocrite, and evidently always has and always will be one.

RFS62
08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Yep, especially coming form the guy who helped steal Seattle's first expansion team, while he was suing MLB for doing the same thing with the Braves 4 years prior. He's a hypocrite, and evidently always has and always will be one.

Almost sounds like a used car salesman.... oh, wait.

RedsBaron
08-07-2007, 07:06 AM
That's assuming that medical science stays the same as it is now with performance enhancing drugs and techniques.

It won't.

We're in the horse and buggy stage of performance enhancement. The future will bring safe and legal methods which will dwarf the steroids of today.

I expect that you are correct, but as medical science creates this brave new world of engineered super athletes sports will be losing at least one very small thing: me as a fan.
I find my interest in professional sports to be slipping as sports becomes less a contest of athletic skills and more a contest to determine who has the best chemist.

Blimpie
08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Absolutely. His reaction to Bonds hitting #755 was nothing short of pathetic.Actually, it was warm and fuzzy compared to his statement after # 756 was hit last night.

I have heard reports forecasting hog futures that were written with more emotion.