Degenerate39
08-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Will he break it in the same game?

jimbo
08-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Bonds who? :dunno:

texasdave
08-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Bond(s). James Bond(s). He can do anything.

Chi-Town Red
08-04-2007, 10:47 PM
A-ROD 500... Bonds 755... on the same day...amazing

captainmorgan07
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
hopefully he hits it tonite so we all can quit hearing about it and move on.

mroby85
08-04-2007, 10:50 PM
i've watched about their last 4 games, and i miss the 1st at bat tonight, and guess what, lol.

WMR
08-04-2007, 11:04 PM

Goten
08-04-2007, 11:09 PM
steroids or no steroids, Bonds is/was a superior baseball player to Hank Aaron. He may have not "deserved" the record, but he definitely deserves to rate ahead of Aaron as a total player.

improbus
08-04-2007, 11:24 PM
steroids or no steroids, Bonds is/was a superior baseball player to Hank Aaron. He may have not "deserved" the record, but he definitely deserves to rate ahead of Aaron as a total player.

I don't know...Barry's numbers are hard to gauge, because of steroids and other teams unwillingness to pitch to him. If Bonds played in Aaron's era, how would he have dealt with pitchers like Bob Gibson constantly pushing him off the plate (which is his most underrated advantage over past players)? How would Bonds, an already thin skinned guy, deal with the threats Aaron played through. Hard to say. Aaron had some RIDICULOUS seasons. In '71, (at 37 no less...) he hit .327, 47, 118, OPS 1.079, scored 95 runs, and only played in 135 games, (and no steroids). Yes, he only won 1 MVP, but that was a different era, and guys playing in Milwaukee and Atlanta don't get the recognition they deserve. Tough Call.

Goten
08-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't know...Barry's numbers are hard to gauge, because of steroids and other teams unwillingness to pitch to him. If Bonds played in Aaron's era, how would he have dealt with pitchers like Bob Gibson constantly pushing him off the plate (which is his most underrated advantage over past players)? How would Bonds, an already thin skinned guy, deal with the threats Aaron played through. Hard to say. Aaron had some RIDICULOUS seasons. In '71, (at 37 no less...) he hit .327, 47, 118, OPS 1.079, scored 95 runs, and only played in 135 games, (and no steroids). Yes, he only won 1 MVP, but that was a different era, and guys playing in Milwaukee and Atlanta don't get the recognition they deserve. Tough Call.

Teams always feared Barry. Prior to 2000 he had already owned the record for intentional walks, a record Aaron once held. I think that Bonds superior on-base ability, and baserunning makes him a better offensive player. I also think he was the better fielder.

BTW, the pitcher Bonds hit his 755th homerun tested positive for steroids. Talk about irony :D

improbus
08-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Teams always feared Barry. Prior to 2000 he had already owned the record for intentional walks, a record Aaron once held. I think that Bonds superior on-base ability, and baserunning makes him a better offensive player. I also think he was the better fielder.

Aaron played on teams with more offensive weapons, so he was harder to pitch around (Eddie Mathews, Joe Adcock, Joe Torre, etc....) than Bonds, who only had one real offensve threat for a teammate at a time (Bonilla, Matt Williams, Kent)

mroby85
08-05-2007, 12:21 AM
bonds also hits in a pitchers park. i think if we're going to used the asterisk so freely, it should be used to players that hit at GABP, or Coors Field. everything isn't going to ever be completely level so people should just get over it. Steroids are not what made bonds the amazing player that he is.

Jr's Boy
08-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Congratulations Barry Bonds.

Orenda
08-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Pedro Martinez during that 3-4 year span was the most dominant/impressive pitcher I'd ever seen. Almost at the same time Barry Bonds was potentially the most feared hitter ever. If you throw in the likes of JR, A-Rod, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Mark McGuire, Sosa, Glavine, and steroids, I'd say we've witnessed a very significant era of baseball history.

Chi-Town Red
08-05-2007, 10:05 AM
the guy is in the top 3 players of all time....that is just the way it is...players have cheated throughout the history of the game. Not that i like the guy, because i don't. But give him his due.

griffeyfreak4
08-05-2007, 10:15 AM
It doesn't matter what Bonds does now because whatever mark he sets A-Rod will smash in the future :)

Chi-Town Red
08-05-2007, 10:25 AM
It doesn't matter what Bonds does now because whatever mark he sets A-Rod will smash in the future :) we all thought that about Griffey and look what happened...you never know...

Slyder
08-05-2007, 10:29 AM
The Seattle Griffey would put Bonds to shame already let alone what ARod's gonna to it (baring significant injuries). If Ken stayed healthy and continued on the pace it would be like JoPa and Bowden trading off wins record every year if Bonds were lucky.

Ken Griffey wont ever have the * by his name and his accomplishments. That's why he gets universally cheered while Bonds gets universally booed (except in the bay).

Hey Meat
08-05-2007, 11:46 AM
No way, I'm not buying it. Numbers don't count when you are using the juice.

reds44
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Congrats Barry. Seemed like it was mistly cheers for him in San Diego, classy gesture.

mroby85
08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
i can see it now, in the future they will talk about how he was persecuted on his way to the record, just like they do now with roger maris,and hank aaron. why can't people learn from the mistakes of the past?

Goten
08-05-2007, 09:43 PM

but they count when you use amphetamines?

BoxingRed
08-05-2007, 11:03 PM
I was surprised the crowd didn't give him a giant Bronx cheer. For all the Barry hating that goes on in the media, the fans seem to accept it as seeing history and applauded it.

simpleman424
08-06-2007, 04:33 AM
I wont hate the guy...I wont necessarily cheer him either. It is history and I respect that but I'm already looking forward to who's going to break it already.

simpleman424
08-06-2007, 04:42 AM
SAN FRANCISCO - For most of the last month, Barry Bonds has been tossing verbal bouquets toward Alex Rodriguez, but the praise stops at a point.

"Is he as good as me? Hell, no," Bonds told The Post when asked if Rodriguez was the best player of this generation. "He's better than me now because he's younger than me. But, hell no."
Bonds was later asked if Rodriguez ranks right behind him. "He ain't even second," he said. Bonds said that honor goes to his close friend, Ken Griffey Jr., "but he got hurt."

Bonds then considered whether Rodriguez ranks third on the list. He seemed to give Rodriguez the nod but then backed off a little.
"He's in the top three with me and Junior," he said. "But, you know, people forget Manny Ramirez. When he was at Cleveland I used to watch that boy all day long. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe how he plays. Defensive-wise he wasn't always there."

DTCromer
08-06-2007, 08:00 AM

When did he test positive?

rotnoid
08-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Part of me always held out hope that he'd get to 754 and then retire and walk away. I had no reason to believe it would happen, but for a guy so consumed by his legacy, it would have been the perfect chance to solidify his place in history as more than a juice head. Could have been one of the classiest moves in sports. period.

mroby85
08-06-2007, 11:45 AM
that would be stupid! would you do that?

rotnoid
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
that would be stupid! would you do that?
No, but I'd also never inject, or rub on, or whatever, steroids.

mroby85
08-06-2007, 01:11 PM
you still could, and you wouldn't hit 755, lol.

not saying i would, im just saying maybe you should recognize what he's done instead of thinking it's so easy just because he used steroids. IF he did, which he's never tested positive.

i put an * beside their steroid accusations because it's never been proven.

rotnoid
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
you still could, and you wouldn't hit 755, lol.

not saying i would, im just saying maybe you should recognize what he's done instead of thinking it's so easy just because he used steroids. IF he did, which he's never tested positive.

i put an * beside their steroid accusations because it's never been proven.

I'm not making light of the man's talent. He was a tremendous player even before his head started to grow. He's clearly a first ballot hall of famer, just based on that period. Never did I claim that taking the steroids made hitting that many home runs easier, either. Clearly that's not the case. (See Perez, Neifi)

My argument is that I believe he did take steroids, which (as trite as this may sound) is against the rules, positive test or not. And... for a person so worried about his legacy and place in the game that he would start doing roids in the first place, it seems to me that he could have been an even bigger hero had he stopped at 754, come clean and went home. That's all I'm saying. In no way am I diminishing the feat, I am impressed by it. Just not by him.

improbus
08-06-2007, 08:14 PM
No, but I'd also never inject, or rub on, or whatever, steroids.

If the money was right, you would (I would...sorry, but for Jason Giambi's contract....)