PDA

View Full Version : MartyBall

traderumor
08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Ok, I am suddenly inspired. Help me gather ideas for an upcoming book known as MartyBall--How I Would Remake the Cincinnati Reds. The scouts had their response to Moneyball, now its time for the real in-the-know guys to sound off--the men in the booth.

One thing is set in stone--the foreward will be written by none other than former Reds' great Joe Morgan.

Where you read about Scott Hatteberg as a case study into Billy Beane's thinking, Norris Hopper will be the subject of an entire chapter.

Other chapters to include:

Why I Loathe Adam Dunn (not as a person, but as a ballplayer)

Home Runs are Overrated

Playing the Game the Right Way

I Have Been Here Longer

Telling It Like It Is

Feel free to provide your own chapter title suggestions and material for the pages therein.

BCubb2003
08-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Ok, I am suddenly inspired. Help me gather ideas for an upcoming book known as MartyBall--How I Would Remake the Cincinnati Reds. The scouts had their response to Moneyball, now its time for the real in-the-know guys to sound off--the men in the booth.

One thing is set in stone--the foreward will be written by none other than former Reds' great Joe Morgan.

Where you read about Scott Hatteberg as a case study into Billy Beane's thinking, Norris Hopper will be the subject of an entire chapter.

Other chapters to include:

Why I Loathe Adam Dunn (not as a person, but as a ballplayer)

Home Runs are Overrated

Unbelievable--unacceptable performances in the pursuit of playing the game the right way

I Have Been Here Longer

Telling It Like It Is

Feel free to provide your own chapter title suggestions and material for the pages therein.

Rally Killers

traderumor
08-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh, just thought of another chapter:

Getting the Ball Rolling-Recruiting a Top Notch Radio Team

George Anderson
08-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Only Real Men Wear Pink Shirts

KronoRed
08-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Why a bunt is better then a single

Team Clark
08-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Banana Phone: The untold stories

westofyou
08-05-2007, 01:32 PM
"I'll Tell Ya What" - Musings on Baseball's Innovators like Buck and Tony.

pedro
08-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Haircare (and why it's important to me)

Real Men (wear pastel sweaters)

traderumor
08-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Leather Pants--Team Building through Personal Vendettas

traderumor
08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Veteran Presence Is Not a Myth

traderumor
08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Haircare (and why it's important to me)

A suggested modification--Haircare-My own Titanic Struggle :)

Chip R
08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Old Guys, and how they help you win

Tom Servo
08-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Steve Finley - The Lost Oppurtunity
How to be a Run Producer

NJReds
08-05-2007, 02:42 PM
The "walk" myth...they're not as good as a hit
The top-100 sacrifice flies in baseball history

gonelong
08-05-2007, 02:45 PM
The Napoleon complex and player evaluation: Why little guys are always valuable. :)

GL

RFS62
08-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Tomatoes in the booth, the untold story

Redsland
08-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Batting average, would you like to go out with me some time?

Swing at the first pitch and there'll be heck to pay (unless looking at it puts you in the hole in which case there'll be heck to pay).

This chapter to be tediously interrupted by a hilarious trivia question.

Do you know what it makes you if you lollygag?

Walking batters: The most inexcusably heinous crime imaginable.

Nice jeans!

:)

Highlifeman21
08-05-2007, 03:40 PM
40 is the new 30: the benefit of young bodies

Pitching to Contact: if you're in the strikezone, you're not walking people.

Caveat Emperor
08-05-2007, 03:40 PM
An excerpt from Marty Brennaman's forthcoming philosophical Treatise: On Strikeouts: A Deontological Study of the K

PREFACE

There are three things in this world that make my blood boil: Poverty, Opression, and Strikeouts. Mislabled hair care products would be a close fourth, and if you forced me to make it a top five, I think He, the leather pants wearing one, Who Must Not Be Named would probably round the list out. I also don't like facts. Facts get in the way of good, heartfelt emotional yelling.

When I was in grade school, a teacher once asked me what the capital of the great state of North Carolina was. I responded "Wherever Dean Smith says it is." The teacher attempted to reprimand me, claiming in some overwrought tone that the correct answer was Raleigh. Apparently she wanted me to just nod along, but I would not let facts get in the way of something I knew in my heart to be true. For the rest of the year, I would make comments loudly in class about how she was unfit to be a teacher, how unprofessional and lazy she was, and how she didn't even understand the importance of North Carolina basketball and its impact on the state. I stated loudly, to anyone who would listen, how she never did the little things to help all of us in class get our education. The other students agreed with me. Those who didn't were quickly shouted down and tormented by the rest of us. Eventually I was overheard by a member of the school board, who launched a formal inquiry into her employment status. As it turns out, she wasn't even certified by the State and was promptly fired. For the first time in my life, I realized the power that my words could have.

red-in-la
08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Winning......it sounds better when you have cool monikers for your golf buddies.

VR
08-05-2007, 04:37 PM
The lost art of broadcasting shirtless

traderumor
08-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Excerpts:

"I tell you what. The Reds will be a better team next year if they have more guys like Norris Hopper in the lineup every day. This guy, he hasn't seen a pitch he could not take a swing at, which is so refreshing in a day where guys think they are paid to walk. That young man right there is proof positive that home runs are overrated. He will do whatever it takes to get on base, well, except walk, which is why I like him so much."

"You know, there are a lot of people who think that Tony LaRussa invented the game. Well, let me tell you something, that is impossible because I was a broadcaster before he even managed his first big league game, so that simply cannot be true."

"There are a lot of people who seem to think that this game is all about the longball. Well, I am here to tell it like it is, and homers are overrated. Give me a .300 hitter who rarely strikes out over some big guy who hits a lot of homers because you know he's simply going to strike out a lot and probably will be atrocious when it comes to hitting with runners in scoring position. Yes, Adam Dunn, I'm talking about you. Look, I have nothing personal against the guy, but all he can do is hit an occasional home run, and then they always seem to come when it doesn't matter. Don't even get me started on Adam Dunn. That will take at least a chapter, and maybe even half the book. It is no coincidence that he has been here for the same number of years that the Reds have been losing and losing big."

membengal
08-05-2007, 05:32 PM
"Double Headers and Other Signs of Evil"

Heath
08-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Velvet Elvis & Chicken Salad Fred - We Welcome Your Emails.

backbencher
08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Why "hands" are more important for an up-the-middle defender than range

Why LF defense is the cornerstone to a good team

How to make a swinging strike two call ("and a swing and a miss") with the sound of knowing, deep disappointment - and a touch of personal indignity

Why broadcasters don't need to know the first thing about a MLB team's farm system

How to act like a petulant child when a caller expresses a contrary viewpoint

George Anderson
08-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm a Hall of Famer and You're Not!!

deltachi8
08-05-2007, 06:14 PM
The lost art of broadcasting shirtless

:laugh::laugh:

"Hey Marty are you wearing a shirt?"

pedro
08-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Rolling with "Thug Life" - the Tim Hummel Era.

ochre
08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Tracy Jones played the game; I 'played' Tracy.

LoganBuck
08-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Swing at the first pitch and there'll be heck to pay (unless looking at it puts you in the hole in which case there'll be heck to pay).
:)

That one gets me, he only singles out Dunn, EdE, and Hamilton for this one. If Hopper does it, he saw something he liked and tried to "make something happen".

GAC
08-05-2007, 09:27 PM
The Bullpen: Why The 8th Is Called "The Big Payoff Inning"

Kahns Is Not The Only Weiners Available At GABP

Wheelhouse
08-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Surviving years of Bad Baseball 101.

BoydsOfSummer
08-06-2007, 02:45 AM
Two strikes your out, Three balls you walk---Improving The Pace of the Game.

traderumor
08-06-2007, 09:33 AM
That one gets me, he only singles out Dunn, EdE, and Hamilton for this one. If Hopper does it, he saw something he liked and tried to "make something happen".

Results based analysis. Swinging at the first pitch is "impatient" when a bad result occurs. A good result is "being aggressive."

top6
08-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Chapter 8: The Big Payoff Chapter. Mary will be writing on behalf of Fred Keaton of Oxford, Mary Jo Lynn of Batavia, Danielle Donaldson of Covington and Michael Buford of Dayton. Each of those readers have until the end of Chapter 9 to call 1-800-555-2567 to claim their prize.

Hap
08-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Hal McCoy Has Never Seen Me Naked