PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton to rehab in Louisville

Reds Fanatic
08-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Josh Hamilton will start rehab in Louisville starting tomorrow. This is from Trent:

From the Reds:

Tomorrow the Reds will send OF Josh Hamilton to Class AAA Louisville on a rehabilitation assignment.

Hamilton has been on the 15-day disabled list since July 12 with a sprained right wrist.

In 64 games and 55 starts for the Reds he is hitting .279 with 14 HR and 30 RBI.

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I hope he's back on Friday. I'm a believer!

captainmorgan07
08-06-2007, 01:51 PM
hopefully he does well in his first few rehab games and is back in cincy quick.

Degenerate39
08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Good good

KittyDuran
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM

From the Reds website - promotion...

August 10 vs. San Diego - 7:10 PM

Josh Hamilton "Believe" Bracelet Night
Free bracelet to the first 20,000 fans in attendance.
20,000 fans

joshnky
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM

I'm going to the Bats game Friday night and wouldn't mind if he stayed down an extra day. It would be great to see Bruce, Hamilton, and Votto play. Unfortunately I'll probably see Saarloos or Shearn pitch.

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm going to the Bats game Friday night and wouldn't mind if he stayed down an extra day. It would be great to see Bruce, Hamilton, and Votto play. Unfortunately I'll probably see Saarloos or Shearn pitch.
Why is that so unfortunate ??

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Of the starting pitchers, those two probably have the least-exciting futures as Reds. Then again, both of those guys have equal to or more ML hits than Ryan Jorgensen, so maybe we could see them converted and become real prospects.

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
what does that have to do with anything ??

Screwball
08-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Why is that so unfortunate ??

And the KeyMastur makes his return.

I heard Homer Bailey had to leave the Bats for an unspecified personal reason today. Got any inside info on why he had to leave?

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 05:04 PM
I heard Homer Bailey had to leave the Bats for an unspecified personal reason today. Got any inside info on why he had to leave?
yeah he's back home in TX, but not gonna get into anyone's personal life on the board....

Screwball
08-06-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah he's back home in TX, but not gonna get into anyone's personal life on the board....

Fair enough. Seems to me like a family emergency, and I hope it's nothing too serious.

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 05:37 PM
what does that have to do with anything ??

I'm just saying that Tom Shearn and Kirk Saarloos don't have futures in the organization, and it's very unexciting to watch them. In my opinion, they're almost wastes of roster spaces. However, I'm also meaning to point out that I shouldn't be surprised by the Bats having players with no future since the Bats have a guy on the roster like Ryan Jorgensen (who is 28 years old and hasn't had success since A-ball), even though the Bats already have Chad Moeller and Ryan Hanigan (not to mention Miguel Perez, who has been on fire since he started his rehab assignment).

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 05:44 PM
ok you're payin Kirk 1.3 guaranteed, you release him just b/c you don't want him on the roster, and still pay him i guess huh ?? good choice....you should be GM of any business....i can see it doing well.

Tom's done well for Louisville and is a "possible" pitcher for the big leagues. he's relialbe out of the pen and can start. maybe you read the numbers too closely and should fly to the united states and watch a game first...

edabbs44
08-06-2007, 05:45 PM
ok you're payin Kirk 1.3 guaranteed, you release him just b/c you don't want him on the roster, and still pay him i guess huh ?? good choice....you should be GM of any business....i can see it doing well.

Tom's done well for Louisville and is a "possible" pitcher for the big leagues. he's relialbe out of the pen and can start. maybe you read the numbers too closely and should fly to the united states and watch a game first...

Dude...I thought you were going to be cordial.

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 05:49 PM
The Reds already released Rheal Cormier this year, so it's not like the Reds are unwilling to dump a guy who's making about half of Cormier's salary.

And Tom Shearn has done well? He's in his 30s, has a 5-10 record, 4.40 ERA, and a WHIP of 1.51. If that's doing well, then Todd Coffey got robbed of an All-Star appearance this year. I'm not very impressed by Ryan Jorgensen either, who's a .219 hitter outside of A-ball. He may play good defense, but so did Dane Sardinha, and so does Miguel Perez.

nate
08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
I can see this is going to go swimmingly!

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:06 PM
The Reds already released Rheal Cormier this year, so it's not like the Reds are unwilling to dump a guy who's making about half of Cormier's salary.

And Tom Shearn has done well? He's in his 30s, has a 5-10 record, 4.40 ERA, and a WHIP of 1.51. If that's doing well, then Todd Coffey got robbed of an All-Star appearance this year. I'm not very impressed by Ryan Jorgensen either, who's a .219 hitter outside of A-ball. He may play good defense, but so did Dane Sardinha, and so does Miguel Perez.
He's 29. ERA has much more to do with what you read on the paper. If you've seen him pitch before, he doesn't get "shelled" every single time. Bloop hit after bloop hit on some occasion will run an ERA up fast.

plus i'm not so sure why everyone's so high on win-loss records these days. if you're 1-20 with an ERA of 2.40 you must suck ?? shearn has had some impressive outings only to have no offense behind him....

ochoa30
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey key, why don't you like homer?

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey key, why don't you like homer?
Never said I didn't like Homer

ochoa30
08-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Never said I didn't like Homer

Sure looked like it. You pretty much said he wasn't gonna be any good. Is he a nice kid?

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 06:20 PM
thebaseballcube.com said he's in his 30s, so I apologize for that. He'll be in his 30s later this month, so you make a very good point.

Anyway, his career WHIP is 1.34. In other words, he doesn't get enough batters out. If he's 29 years old and in AAA, I expect more. I don't have anything against Shearn--I just don't think he's any better than Gosling, Livingston, Dumatrait, Santos, etc.

I'll say one thing I like about Shearn, though. I see no reason to be suspicious of him having done anabolic steroids. If a player's going to be mediocre, I at least like to see it's natural.

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
thebaseballcube.com said he's in his 30s, so I apologize for that. He'll be in his 30s later this month, so you make a very good point.

Anyway, his career WHIP is 1.34. In other words, he doesn't get enough batters out. If he's 29 years old and in AAA, I expect more. I don't have anything against Shearn--I just don't think he's any better than Gosling, Livingston, Dumatrait, Santos, etc.

I'll say one thing I like about Shearn, though. I see no reason to be suspicious of him having done anabolic steroids. If a player's going to be mediocre, I at least like to see it's natural.
who's done steroids ?

ochoa30
08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
who's done steroids ?

Barry Bonds ;)

Patrick Bateman
08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
He's 29. ERA has much more to do with what you read on the paper. If you've seen him pitch before, he doesn't get "shelled" every single time. Bloop hit after bloop hit on some occasion will run an ERA up fast.

This is true as his .337 BAPIP atests. Still, with average luck his ERA would be pretty close to his FIP (3.87), and considering he's not exactly a ground ball machine, I think an increase in homers could also be expected.

I think at best you are looking at a 14-15th pitcher in your system. Definitely not a guy you want in the majors over long periods, and considering his age, he can only be counted on as depth. He's not major league material, but as an emergency swingman type to have in AAA, he's fine to have around.

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Barry Bonds ;)

although you can't prove he ever has, there will always be that "black cloud" that surrounds his name. it's weird how a person will form an opinion on someone so quickly though by what the media says or somethin they read, without even askin the horse himself...

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I think at best you are looking at a 14-15th pitcher in your system. Definitely not a guy you want in the majors over long periods, and considering his age, he can only be counted on as depth. He's not major league material, but as an emergency swingman type to have in AAA, he's fine to have around.
probably exactly what he is, but definitely not a waste of a roster spot...

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
who's done steroids ?

The Reds have had a few mediocre players (Alex Sanchez, Ryan Franklin, Felix Heredia) who were in trouble for performance-enhancing drugs, and it always bothered me. Thank goodness the players have since stopped using. Either that or they know how to avoid being caught.

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
The Reds have had a few mediocre players (Alex Sanchez, Ryan Franklin, Felix Heredia) who were in trouble for performance-enhancing drugs, and it always bothered me. Thank goodness the players have since stopped using. Either that or they know how to avoid being caught.

well the MLB is pretty strict on the steroid testing policy, so if anyone has or is using, i'm sure they'd have been caught by now. they even test in the off-season

ochoa30
08-06-2007, 06:37 PM
although you can't prove he ever has, there will always be that "black cloud" that surrounds his name. it's weird how a person will form an opinion on someone so quickly though by what the media says or somethin they read, without even askin the horse himself...

You don't all the sudden hit more homeruns then ever after you turn 35. You don't grow when you are in your 30's. Your feet and head don't naturally get larger when you "work out a lot". Although he won't admit it in public, he has admitted to taking anabolic steroids without knowing what they were in his grand jury testimony. The cream and the clear or "flaxoil" as barry thought it was. Yea right. I don't deny that he was a great player, but the fact that he felt the need to cheat even with already being great makes it even more pathetic.

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
You don't all the sudden hit more homeruns then ever after you turn 35. You don't grow when you are in your 30's. Your feet and head don't naturally get larger when you "work out a lot". Although he won't admit it in public, he has admitted to taking anabolic steroids without knowing what they were in his grand jury testimony. The cream and the clear or "flaxoil" as barry thought it was. Yea right. I don't deny that he was a great player, but the fact that he felt the need to cheat even with already being great makes it even more pathetic.
True. Power is the last thing to develop. Barry's swing has gotten shorter since he first started. Shorter is quicker. (definition of force is F = speed X mass). Like I said, there's always going to be a black cloud around his name.

A-rod on the other hand, is a freak....

ochoa30
08-06-2007, 06:49 PM
True. Power is the last thing to develop. Barry's swing has gotten shorter since he first started. Shorter is quicker. (definition of force is F = speed X mass). Like I said, there's always going to be a black cloud around his name.

A-rod on the other hand, is a freak....

I agree with that. Griffey was just as good or better then both in his prime. Dam injuries.

ochoa30
08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
What do you think about josh hamilton? Pretty amazing what he has done after missing so much time. Hopefully he can stay healthy and be a red for a long time.

KeyMastur
08-06-2007, 06:53 PM
What do you think about josh hamilton? Pretty amazing what he has done after missing so much time. Hopefully he can stay healthy and be a red for a long time.He's got things turned around now for the better. It's as if he didn't miss a beat when he returned to professional baseball after 2 years.

dougdirt
08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
He's got things turned around now for the better. It's as if he didn't miss a beat when he returned to professional baseball after 2 years.

The scary thing is.... what if he did miss a beat?

indy_dave00
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Think the game in Louisville , you want to see is tomorrow , should be Hamilton, Bruce, Votto and Cantu playing with Johnny Cueto pitching unless they change there rotation.

Prf15
08-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Minor league thread might have more posts than the majors again.

Chi-Town Red
08-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Think the game in Louisville , you want to see is tomorrow , should be Hamilton, Bruce, Votto and Cantu playing with Johnny Cueto pitching unless they change there rotation. i will be glued to my computer :thumbup:

crocodiledundee
08-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Camisadelgolf, do you ever post anything positive, constructive or non-insinuative?

crocodiledundee
08-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Should be a good game, let's hope Votto turns it up....

Post All-Star .225/.304/.382

Let' hope Bruce keeps it up!!!

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Camisadelgolf, do you ever post anything positive, constructive or non-insinuative?

If you research it, I think you'll find that I'm not one of the most negative people on RedsZone. I enjoy the irony of your post, however, so thank you for that.

crocodiledundee
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
What irony??? :confused:

Mario-Rijo
08-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Dude...I thought you were going to be cordial.

Ed are you serious, are you reading what's being written to him?

camisadelgolf
08-07-2007, 12:03 AM
He wasn't cordial when he PMed me--I'll say that much.

KeyMastur
08-07-2007, 12:05 AM

i wasn't ??? hmm...i can post up exactly what i wrote if you'd like...

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 12:14 AM

Guys you know the drill, take it to the PM's before the Mods have to get involved.

11larkin11
08-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Think the game in Louisville , you want to see is tomorrow , should be Hamilton, Bruce, Votto and Cantu playing with Johnny Cueto pitching unless they change there rotation.

Cantu mentioned with Hamilton Bruce Votto and Cueto?

Man, people sure change their minds when guys hit

KeyMastur
08-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Cantu mentioned with Hamilton Bruce Votto and Cueto?

Man, people sure change their minds when guys hit

MLB 1: 301
MLB 2: 286 / 28 / 117
MLB 3: 249 / 14 / 62
MLB 4: 207 in 58 at-bats ??

he's been able to hit. he's also an above-average defender at any spot (SS if needed) anywhere on the diamond....

Screwball
08-07-2007, 12:38 AM
he's also an above-average defender at any spot (SS if needed) anywhere on the diamond....

Interesting. All I've heard is that he's miserable on defense, no matter you put him in the IF (but esp. at SS).

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 12:39 AM
MLB 1: 301
MLB 2: 286 / 28 / 117
MLB 3: 249 / 14 / 62
MLB 4: 207 in 58 at-bats ??

he's been able to hit. he's also an above-average defender at any spot (SS if needed) anywhere on the diamond....

Oooh, that just killed any steam you might have managed to gain right there. It's fairly common knowledge that his defense is sub-par.

11larkin11
08-07-2007, 12:39 AM
I know, I've always been a fan and think that this is a big steal, even having to deal away Medlock. The only problem I see with him is where to put him, and I could see him playing 1B with Votto in LF if Dunn isnt here, or platooning with Votto at first. Can he catch;)

KeyMastur
08-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Oooh, that just killed any steam you might have managed to gain right there. It's fairly common knowledge that his defense is sub-par.depends who's eyes you're looking through :)

when you put him on the "hot corner" it gets hot. i've seen his numbers. he hasn't played 3rd base yet in louisville, only 1st & 2nd (and DH)

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Actually he ain't been real good at 2B either. 1B I'm willing to wait and see. SS forget it, he may look good based on the stats but it's such a small sample size that nothing has been proven there.

Pos G PO A E DP FP lgFP RFg lgRFg RF9 lgRF9 GS Inn

2B* 217 379 520 27 125 .971 .984 4.14 4.46 4.39 4.94 210 1843.3
3B* 73 40 119 15 8 .914 .956 2.18 2.47 2.42 2.74 69 590.3
1B* 7 49 3 0 5 1.000 .994 7.43 8.01 9.18 9.41 51.0
SS* 1 2 2 0 0 1.000 .976 4.00 4.10 5.14 4.50 1 7.0

KeyMastur
08-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Actually he ain't been real good at 2B either. 1B I'm willing to wait and see. SS forget it, he may look good based on the stats but it's such a small sample size that nothing has been proven there.

which is why he'll stick at 1b / 2b. he's just about equivalent to philips at 2nd (971, 973 vs 977, 981) which is why he'll be a good platoon guy

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 01:00 AM
which is why he'll stick at 1b / 2b. he's just about equivalent to philips at 2nd (971, 973 vs 977, 981) which is why he'll be a good platoon guy

He could be at 1st. But then he has to be a little patient at the plate as well and stop hitting pitchers pitches so much. He does those 2 things and I like him alot, as he has a knack IMO to knock in runs. And we need that from the right side.

AmarilloRed
08-07-2007, 01:03 AM
He may be the back-up at first in due course; Conine and Hatteberg won't be around forever. If he is bad at defense 2b/ss may not be his ideal positions.

TOBTTReds
08-07-2007, 01:17 AM
When's Miguel Perez coming back to AAA. I think we really need him to get started playing at a higher level again if he is healthy again. I think he would be a solid backup or AAAA catcher for the Reds, like what Moeller is doing, except better. He needs to get some everyday AB's in AAA too. Or atleast split with Hanigan.

camisadelgolf
08-07-2007, 01:38 AM
If Perez went to AAA, he would be one of four catchers.

TOBTTReds
08-07-2007, 01:42 AM
If Perez went to AAA, he would be one of four catchers.

Then release two of the older ones. :D What do you think keymastur?

camisadelgolf
08-07-2007, 01:54 AM
I'd imagine that Moeller's earning a larger paycheck, so I might release him first. I don't like having three catchers on a team, so I'd probably get rid of whomever's the least of a prospect between Hanigan, Perez, and Jorgensen.

BEETTLEBUG
08-07-2007, 05:35 AM
I ask on one of the other threads about Perez it said he was healthy at Sarsota if so get him up to AAA for rest of year to get at bats where he should be and see if he is ready for the Big Show.

icehole3
08-07-2007, 06:33 AM
It's good to have KeyMastur back, you seem like a very nice guy and I like seeing your perspective on our minor leaguers, welcome back.

Red Leader
08-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Guys, let's try to be a little more cordial to KeyMastur, please.

Obviously, I don't know what took place in PM's between posters, and I don't want to know, but moving forward, if I see any personal attacks against anyone in the minor league forum (or even posts that appear to be personal attacks) you're going to be taking a timeout from the board.

Thank you.

crocodiledundee
08-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Let's deal with the facts here....

1) KeyMastur has been generous with his inside knowledge.

2) KeyMastur is rarely, if ever out of whack with his predictions/scouting reports.

3) KeyMastur hasn't been rude, aggresive, or insulting to any other posters.

I'm happy having KeyMastur on board and I think anyone that isn't doesn't really want RedsZone to be a good place to speculate and discuss the past, present, and future of the Cincinnati Reds baseball club.

TOBTTReds
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
3) KeyMastur hasn't been rude, aggresive, or insulting to any other posters.

You obviously missed the first 20-some posts he made...but as someone else mentioned, we should give him a second chance.

penantboundreds
08-07-2007, 11:27 PM
did josh play tonight?

Redsland
08-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Yep. 2 for 3 through seven, according to FSN.

penantboundreds
08-07-2007, 11:35 PM
man i hope josh can stay healthy next year, what a force

Degenerate39
08-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Was there any reason they took him out?

Blue
08-07-2007, 11:46 PM
On Cantu, who here has actually seen the guy play enough to be able to label him a poor defender, or are people just repeating what they've heard?

AmarilloRed
08-08-2007, 12:16 AM
More experienced posters than me have said he plays bad defense. I have kept track of his offensive progress; but I have not noticed he has made many errors. Still, I would think they would know what they are talking about. Perhaps someone can mention more specific details about his defensive shortcomings if any? Concerning Hamilton, it looks like he will be back in Cincinnati before long.

TOBTTReds
08-08-2007, 12:41 AM
I dont know about his D, but 330 games is enough to get a solid rep.

KeyMastur
08-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Was there any reason they took him out?
first time rehab guys usually only play 6 or 7 innings. 3 at-bats. kind of like spring training....

Degenerate39
08-08-2007, 01:25 AM
first time rehab guys usually only play 6 or 7 innings. 3 at-bats. kind of like spring training....

Thanks for the info I didn't know that.

08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm hoping Hamilton's rehab lasts into next week- if so, I think I'll head to Indy for a game at Victory Field.

KeyMastur
08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm hoping Hamilton's rehab lasts into next week- if so, I think I'll head to Indy for a game at Victory Field.

Could be possible but you never know. With Freel's injury the club could want him back soon.....

AmarilloRed
08-09-2007, 01:39 AM
The Reds signed David Ellison; who needs Josh Hamilton?:laugh: I am being a bit sarcastic.