PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Question Someone Has ASked You at the Ballpark

KoryMac5
08-06-2007, 04:02 PM
I went to see the Reds play at PNC park and my wife Kathleen joined me. It was very cool as it was our first MLB game together. During one of the innings she asked why all the Pirate fans were chanting "Let's go Bucs". I told her that it was short for Buccaneers, she still looked bewildered and stated that Pittsburgh's team name was the Pirates. I explained to her that Buccaneers were a type of Pirate. At this time she gave me the big :thumbup:. This conversation got me to thinking about other questions or conversations that others have had at the ballpark. Feel free to post them here.

cincrazy
08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
During one of Griffey's first seasons with the Reds, a guy turned to me and said "This is Griffey's third team right, after the Marlins and the Mariners?"

dabvu2498
08-06-2007, 04:07 PM
"Where should I put the peanut shells?"

nate
08-06-2007, 04:10 PM
"Which one is our team?"

LincolnparkRed
08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Why don't you like Sammy Sosa?? while wearing reds gear at wrigley

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I was at a concert last night, and the band, who is from Minnesota, asked, "Do you guys still have Kyle Lohse?" All the Reds fans happily shouted, "NO!"

redsmetz
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I took some Aussies to a game and they were following it pretty well, although they'd only seen softball games in Australia (I think the leagues they have no were not around then - this is nearly 30 years ago). As I was explaining various intricacies of the game and thought to myself, "I hope someone doesn't balk" and lo and behold the pitcher balked. Try explaining that to someone who doesn't understand baseball!

Of course, I also took some Germans. Try explaining baseball in German!

Roy Tucker
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
After observing Jeff Bagwell's batting stance, my youngest asked "does he have to go to the bathroom?".

Johnny Footstool
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
"You want me to get you a beer, Johnny?"

Always Red
08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
"How much time is left in the game, Dad?"

Big Klu
08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I took some Aussies to a game and they were following it pretty well, although they'd only seen softball games in Australia (I think the leagues they have no were not around then - this is nearly 30 years ago). As I was explaining various intricacies of the game and thought to myself, "I hope someone doesn't balk" and lo and behold the pitcher balked. Try explaining that to someone who doesn't understand baseball!

Of course, I also took some Germans. Try explaining baseball in German!

Nine years ago, I went to a Reds-White Sox game at Comiskey. I had really good seats. The row behind me filled up with tourists from Europe--they were from Germany, the UK, and Sweden. The British and the Germans were mostly interested in drinking beer and complaining that it wasn't as good as European beer, but the Swedes tried to follow the game. One of them tapped me on the the shoulder, and (noticing my Reds cap), asked me (in surprisingly good English) how the season was going. I said not very well. He then asked me who the Reds' best player was. I said Barry Larkin. He seemed confused, and I realized that he didn't have a program, so I said "#11", and pointed him out. He then asked if he was the highest-paid player for the Reds, and I said yes. Then he asked who the highest-paid player for Chicago was. I said Albert Belle, "#8". He said that #8 must be their best player, and I said, "No, their best player is Frank Thomas, #35." He asked why #8 got paid more than #35, and I explained to him that Belle used to play for Cleveland, which is Chicago's biggest rival. At that point he interrupted me and said, "I understand. This happens all the time back home in football--what you call soccer. A club will try to sign away the top players from their rival."

Redsland
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Another Bagwell:

"How can he generate any power with that stance?"

The moment the words were uttered, a tracer screamed right past us on its way outta here.

Caseyfan21
08-06-2007, 07:26 PM
At the Reds/Cubs series at GABP last weekend, my friend (Reds fan) who doesn't know much past the basics, turned to me and said "Why do all the Cubs fans ruin Take Me Out to The Ballgame?"

penantboundreds
08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
At a UC basketball game vs coppin state..... "What is a compensate foul, I agree there should be a compensate foul but how can the ref just make up a call in the middle of the game?"

that coming from the lady behind us...she went on for a good 10 minutes about it....hilarious

at a basketball game

creek14
08-06-2007, 08:45 PM
First season at the GAP. Four people in front of me - two locals and two from out of town. Out of towners asked if you could take lawn chairs and sit out in the grass in front of the batters eye.

Answer - next season.

And they were serious.

Spitball
08-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Last week we were in St. Louis and toured the new stadium. Several times Albert Pujols was mentioned and my twenty-three year old daughter, who isn't a big baseball fan, kept laughing.

Finally, she asked, "How do you spell that name?"

After I told her, she explained she thought his name was "Poo Holes."

Later, when we went to the St. Louis Zoo, she and my seventeen year old son kept pointing at the pink bottoms of some primates and saying, "I see poo holes!"

I was afraid we wouldn't get out of that zoo alive.

camisadelgolf
08-06-2007, 11:49 PM
When I was the Cardinals game earlier this year, the Cardinals fans in front of me wouldn't sit down (while blocking the views of children), so I yelled at them, "It's Pujols, not a**holes! Sit down!"

LoganBuck
08-07-2007, 08:55 AM
My 4 year old son: "Jay Bruce is my favorite player, do you think he will be my friend?"

My response: "Jay Bruce is friend to every Reds fan."

15fan
08-07-2007, 09:37 AM
"Do you think Pete bet on baseball?"

RANDY IN INDY
08-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Last week we were in St. Louis and toured the new stadium. Several times Albert Pujols was mentioned and my twenty-three year old daughter, who isn't a big baseball fan, kept laughing.

Finally, she asked, "How do you spell that name?"

After I told her, she explained she thought his name was "Poo Holes."

Later, when we went to the St. Louis Zoo, she and my seventeen year old son kept pointing at the pink bottoms of some primates and saying, "I see poo holes!"

I was afraid we wouldn't get out of that zoo alive.

:laugh: That's funny, Spitball!

GAC
08-07-2007, 10:01 AM
My daughter "adopted" Brandon Phillips as her favorite Red (after Casey got traded). We were at a game last month and she asked me why he smiles so much when they are in last place?

redsmetz
08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
My 4 year old son: "Jay Bruce is my favorite player, do you think he will be my friend?"

My response: "Jay Bruce is friend to every Reds fan."

LoganBuck - you've got to send that story to Bruce down in Louisville - that ought to get him a signed picture, no?

LoganBuck
08-07-2007, 01:03 PM
LoganBuck - you've got to send that story to Bruce down in Louisville - that ought to get him a signed picture, no?

Maybe, I am not that big on autographs, my son probably would be. We watched him in Dayton last year, and he and Jr are the only players in the Reds organization, that my son can accurately remember from game to game.

RedsManRick
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
A female friend of mine: Is it the 6th or the 7th quarter? And to think she has a Master's from U Chicago.

Caseyfan21
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
A female friend of mine: Is it the 6th or the 7th quarter? And to think she has a Master's from U Chicago.

That and people calling runs "points" always makes me cringe.

Always Red
08-07-2007, 01:11 PM

For me, I also cringe when someone calls out a score backwards- as in "The Reds lost 2-3."

BRM
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM

That one always drives me crazy. I corrected several parents and kids this past summer during the little league season.

KronoRed
08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Do they have to play 9 innings?

nate
08-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Do they have to play 9 innings?

Hopefully they end after 7 if its the Reds.

vaticanplum
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM

I had a friend once refer to the crowd as the audience. She stopped herself just short of calling the seventh-inning stretch intermission.

George Anderson
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
When I umpire I get clueless coaches asking me questions about the rules all the time which can border on both funny and idiotic.

Just last month a coach went nuts because I called a runner safe when the coaches third baseman tagged the runner out with his glove hand but the ball was still in his throwing hand. The coach asked the question in such a rude manner that unfortunately he wasn't around to hear the answer. :)

GAC
08-08-2007, 10:48 AM
"Hey Dad! Why do they call them bases? And who decided where they were to be placed on the field?"

When my 8 yr old (he's now 11), was in his first year in Farm League, learned what a walk was and you got awarded 1B .....he told me he's never swinging the bat again!

And one time when he was on 1B, ran on an INF popup and ended up getting forced out, he came back to the bench wanting an explanation as to what had happened. After I told him that the 1B coach made a mistake and should have held him, my son yelled out "THE MAN HAS NO BUSINESS IN BASEBALL!" :lol: