PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Reds best relief prospects?

11larkin11
08-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Reading the Head of the 2006 Class kind of sparked my interest. Who do you think are the Reds best relief prospects?

Just some guys I think to be good candidates

Marcus McBeth
Brad Salmon
Pedro Viola
Josh Roenicke
Ruben Medina
Rick Asadoorian
Derrick Lutz
Ramon Geronimo
Lee Tabor
Marcus Mateo
Tyler Pelland
Carlos Guevara
Brock Till

Prf15
08-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Personally, I think these people can help the major league team next season or after.

Marcus McBeth
Brad Salmon
Pedro Viola
Josh Roenicke
Carlos Guevara

Those to me are the guys who I think have the best possibility to help this team.

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Don't forget Bill Bray he is still young and has been in AAA (or the DL) all season.

11larkin11
08-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Yea but I dont really consider him a prospect, but I guess you could include him

AmarilloRed
08-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I think Blue's quote about Jay Bruce is the most often used quote; Kudos to you for entering Redzone myth, Blue.:thumbup:

11larkin11
08-07-2007, 01:35 PM
...and Jon Coutlangus automatically jumps to the top of this list

RedsManRick
08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Look at our best starting pitcher prospects and it will contain most of our best relief prospects.

Aronchis
08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
From the Reds pov it is Pelland,Roenicke and Viola. They have been pushed all of them. Others like McBeth or Bray probably fall into the "young" reliever title.

sweetsport06
08-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Hard to believe the best overall lights out pitcher in our minor league system and future closer for the reds was left out: SEAN WATSON

dougdirt
08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Well minus the fact that Watson is currently starting you might have a point....

puca
08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
It seems to me that most impact relievers in the major leagues were starters until at least the upper levels fo the minors. It makes sense because to be a successful major league reliever you really need two plus pitches. Any minor league pitcher flashing 2 or more plus pitches will be given a long look as a starter.

Maybe that's 'old school' thinking and the trend is to groom relievers moreso than in the past. But that's why I really don't get too jazzed about minor league relievers to begin with. And why I don't like it when the Reds trade for them. ]

Red Leader
08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
It seems to me that most impact relievers in the major leagues were starters until at least the upper levels fo the minors. It makes sense because to be a successful major league reliever you really need two plus pitches. Any minor league pitcher flashing 2 or more plus pitches will be given a long look as a starter.

Maybe that's 'old school' thinking and the trend is to groom relievers moreso than in the past. But that's why I really don't get too jazzed about minor league relievers to begin with. And why I don't like it when the Reds trade for them. ]

Yeah. Bring back tandem starters!!! Woohoooo! :D

Blue
08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I think Blue's quote about Jay Bruce is the most often used quote; Kudos to you for entering Redzone myth, Blue.:thumbup:

I'm just soaking it all in.

puca
08-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah. Bring back tandem starters!!! Woohoooo! :D

Not what I was saying. I was just pointing out that an organization will typically keep their best and brightest pitchers on the starter path until they show they lack the ability to develop enough plus pitches. It tells you something when guys are converted to relief early in their minor league career.