PDA

View Full Version : Next Years' Bullpen?

The_jbh
08-07-2007, 10:50 PM
As atrocious as this pen has been this year... I really think we have the pieces for an average to slightly above average bullpen next year... It comes down to clearing out the elders and junk Krivsky loves.

Closer Weathers Not a lights out guy but he gets the job done.

Burton and Cout look like they are emerging as quality set up men.

Salmon has the stuff and has performed sporadically as a solid reliever, could be a good middle reliever/set up man.

Bray hopefully can return to a quality middle relief, set up man

McBeth, Gosling, Coffey and others as the revolving door at 6th reliever.

Saarloos, Lizard, maybe Gosling/revolving door at long reliever

This assumes we clean out Stanton, Eddie E, and Majic and embrace the youth...

thoughts?

Eric_Davis
08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
It would sure be nice to see if Bray can pitch. Being away from the Majors so long, you'd think he had a major injury that he might never recover from.

RedLegSuperStar
08-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Gary Majewski will likly be in the fold next season. Tyler Pelland and Richie Gardner could be sleepers. Depending on if they add more starters in the offseason.. Belisle, Dumatrait, and Livingston could play roles in the pen as well.

The_jbh
08-08-2007, 01:18 AM
I tend to think this is Majic's last shot... if he doesn't show us something in the next month and half i don't expect to see him with the club

mth123
08-08-2007, 05:50 AM
As atrocious as this pen has been this year... I really think we have the pieces for an average to slightly above average bullpen next year... It comes down to clearing out the elders and junk Krivsky loves.

Salmon has the stuff and has performed sporadically as a solid reliever, could be a good middle reliever/set up man.

thoughts?

I agree with most of this. I think an impact arm or two is needed to supplement. I don't think its Bray. I think Salmon, McBeth, Coffey (hopefully he gets a change of scenery for his sake) can rotate as the 6th guy. Bray, Burton and Cout can be the middle guys with either Weathers and an impact guy for the 8th and 9th or better yet, Weathers is traded and 2 impact guys brought in for the end.

The long reliever will be the 6th starter. It might be Gosling. I hope an established starter is brought in and 3 guys from a group of Belisle, Livingston, Bailey, Cueto, Ramirez, Dumatrait, Gosling and other guys brought in on the cheap (like Santos this year) stick as the 4th and 5th and the long reliever. I imagine we'll see this group change a lot over the season.

Since Saarloos is arb eligible and the most the Reds could cut his pay is 20%, he'd be making a minimum of $960K next year if he stays in Cincy. He isn't worth more than the minimum and he'll probably be non-tendered and not in the mix.

BRM
08-08-2007, 10:13 AM

thoughts?

Welsh mentioned last night that he believes the 3 pitchers you want to "clean out" are locks for Wayne's bullpen next year.