PDA

View Full Version : If Griffey and Dunn shortly leave Cincinnati..

AmarilloRed
08-08-2007, 12:45 AM
because they have their contracts expire, who will take their place in the outfield? Griffey's contract expires after 2008 with an option for 2009, and Dunn just has the option for 2008. We could lose both outfielders after 2008. I can see Bruce would take one of the spots, but who would take the third spot in the outfield? We would have Bruce, Hamilton and who else in the outfield. You may substitute any prospective free agent in 2008 or 2009 or someone else in our minor league system. This is one of the reasons I don't want to trade Dunn; I just don't know who could take his place. I will think about this, and let you know what I think later.

Degenerate39
08-08-2007, 01:03 AM
I guess it would be Freel in left, Bruce in center, Hamilton in right. I don't know who else could play in the outfield.

klw
08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Wily Mo :)

Dracodave
08-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Wily Mo :)

Basically, someone worse than Dunn.

bigredbunter
08-08-2007, 09:54 AM

At the plate you mean

klw
08-08-2007, 12:15 PM

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize improvement was expected. :)

AmarilloRed
08-08-2007, 01:06 PM
My point is that we would need 3 starting outfielders. Bruce and Hamilton will be 2 , but we will need three. I fully expect the third will not be the quality of Adam Dunn. I suppose Freel could be acceptable, but I expect he would be injured too much and is more suited for a utility role. We may have to accept a platoon of Freel and Dickerson. Neither is suited to be a starter, but perhaps a platoon would work out.

Stingray
08-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd give Dickerson a long look in center. He could be the Reds Cameron(SP?).

UK Reds Fan
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Hamilton and Bruce are 2 spots for sure. Also, we'll be looking at Votto and Phillips for sure in the diamond. EE and Gonzo probably and Ross behind the plate.

That will be some serious jack freed up to get us the RH bat we are desiring in the outfield if Freel/Dickerson/Hopper types don't pan out in CF.

I'd love to see what the Reds could do to keep Dunn around. Warts and all, he is a power hitter that is still getting on base near a 390 clip. That is valuable no matter how you slice the rest of his game.

roby
08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
How about Jorge Cantu in left field???

Muggerd
08-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Id worry about that a couple years from now.

AmarilloRed
08-09-2007, 12:46 AM
I see this scenario happening. The Reds put Bruce on the 40 man roster in August, and then call him up in September. They then go to Dunn in the off-season and try to get him to give them a home-town discount at 13 or 14 million a year. If he refuses, they then give him the option to pick up his option and trade him in June, or drop his option and make an agreement with Dunn to have him reject arbitration so they can get the draft picks. He then could seek the best free agent deal he could get in 2008. If the Reds sign Dunn, they have Bruce play as a fourth outfielder with the expectation he would start in 2009. If Dunn rejects an extension, Bruce would start as an outfielder in 2008. You would need to pick up Griffey's option if Dunn decides to not agree to a favorable discount., so Griffey would be with the Reds in 2008 and 2009. If Dunn does sign an extension, we would only have Griffey for 2008. I would then hope we have help from the minors by 2010 if we are unable to re-sign Adam Dunn. It would seem a lot will hinge on whether we could get Adam to agree to a good deal.

roby
08-09-2007, 12:50 AM
I see this scenario happening. The Reds put Bruce on the 40 man roster in August, and then call him up in September. They then go to Dunn in the off-season and try to get him to give them a home-town discount at 13 or 14 million a year. If he refuses, they then give him the option to pick up his option and trade him in June, or drop his option and make an agreement with Dunn to have him reject arbitration so they can get the draft picks. He then could seek the best free agent deal he could get in 2008. If the Reds sign Dunn, they have Bruce play as a fourth outfielder with the expectation he would start in 2009. If Dunn rejects an extension, Bruce would start as an outfielder in 2008. You would need to pick up Griffey's option if Dunn decides to not agree to a favorable discount., so Griffey would be with the Reds in 2008 and 2009. If Dunn does sign an extension, we would only have Griffey for 2008. I would then hope we have help from the minors by 2010 if we are unable to re-sign Adam Dunn. It would seem a lot will hinge on whether we could get Adam to agree to a good deal.

I think it is a huge mistake to entertain the idea of keeping Dunn around. He has pretty much let it be known that he is not interested in staying in Cincinnati...and his attitude will only be a hindrance. It would have been best to unload him at the deadline for a decent pitcher...but since that didn't happen, nothing really good is going to come of the whole situation.