PDA

View Full Version : 8/8/07 Minors Updates:

Redman15
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Dragons trail 3-1 after 4 innings. Guerrero pitching for the Dragons.

Redman15
08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Dragons trail 5-2 headed into the T7.

Redman15
08-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Dragons lose 5-2. They left 10 runners in scoring position.Ouch!!!!!

BRM
08-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Jones: 0-5
Turner: 2-4
Francisco: 1-4
Parker: 0-3
Kainer: 1-4, RBI
Rojo: 2-4, 2 doubles, RBI

Guerrero: 5 IP, 1 ER, 3 hits, 3 walks, 4 Ks

ochoa30
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Terrell Young has been very good in his last 10 outings. He has a 1.29 era and a 1 whip while striking out 14 in 14 innings. He has all the stuff to be a dominant reliever but can he put it all together? He turned 22 yesterday and will probably stay in dayton the rest of the year. He is a very talented player that will be fun to follow to see what he can do.

REDblooded
08-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Dragons lose 5-2. They left 10 runners in scoring position.Ouch!!!!!

Sounds like they'll fit in just fine if they make the big squad............

flyer85
08-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Terrell Young has been very good in his last 10 outings. He has a 1.29 era and a 1 whip while striking out 14 in 14 innings. He has all the stuff to be a dominant reliever but can he put it all together? He turned 22 yesterday and will probably stay in dayton the rest of the year. He is a very talented player that will be fun to follow to see what he can do.a 22 year old toiling as a reliever iin Low A ball doesn't project well going forward.

ochoa30
08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
a 22 year old toiling as a reliever iin Low A ball doesn't project well going forward.

He has great stuff. 22 isn't old especially if you have a great arm.. I just said it would be interesting to watch how he developes. I didn't say he was a future closer or anything.

Aronchis
08-08-2007, 05:43 PM
He has great stuff. 22 isn't old especially if you have a great arm.. I just said it would be interesting to watch how he developes. I didn't say he was a future closer or anything.

Remember that Young will be 22 in High A starting next year. The key for Young is throwing a full year. If he does next year and possibly make it up to AA, he is right on track.

Kc61
08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Terrell Young has been very good in his last 10 outings. He has a 1.29 era and a 1 whip while striking out 14 in 14 innings. He has all the stuff to be a dominant reliever but can he put it all together? He turned 22 yesterday and will probably stay in dayton the rest of the year. He is a very talented player that will be fun to follow to see what he can do.

Young is from the draft class (DanO) of Homer Bailey, Rafael Gonzalez, Terrell Young, and Phil Valiquette, four high school pitchers with good arms taken with high picks in 2004 (I think).

I always felt that this group had lots of potential. A number of them have been slowed by reported personal situations, but they were so young there was time to get going. Now, Bailey is on the cusp of being a major leaguer, Gonzalez has had a good season as a Dayton starter, Young looks good in the pen, and Valiquette is pretty dominant this year at Billings throwing long relief stints.

O'Brien, he could draft.

Aronchis
08-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Young is from the draft class (DanO) of Homer Bailey, Rafael Gonzalez, Terrell Young, and Phil Valiquette, four high school pitchers with good arms taken with high picks in 2004 (I think).

I always felt that this group had lots of potential. A number of them have been slowed by reported personal situations, but they were so young there was time to get going. Now, Bailey is on the cusp of being a major leaguer, Gonzalez has had a good season as a Dayton starter, Young looks good in the pen, and Valiquette is pretty dominant this year at Billings throwing long relief stints.

O'Brien, he could draft.

Next year will be big years for all of them. They need to turn it up a notch.

Kc61
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Next year will be big years for all of them. They need to turn it up a notch.

Fully agree. Valiquette is very interesting. He is only 20. He has a .98 WHIP and under 2 ERA at Billings this year and his outings have mostly been dominant. If I recall, he had some terrible early years as a teenaged pitcher, but now his talent may be coming through.

If he starts well at Dayton next year, he is a candidate to move quickly because he has pro experience under his belt. Just have an instinct that he can be a very good one.

Interested if anyone knows more about his stuff and performance this year.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:12 PM
The GCL Reds lost again today. They are the worst team in the minors. They are 10-31 and 19 games out of first place. They have scored 163 runs and allowed 248. The team ERA is 5.02 despite the fact that as a team they have allowed 61 unearned runs in 41 games. Thats incredible.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Elizardo Ramriez on the mound for the Bats and got a 1-2-3 first inning.

Josh Hamilton singled up the middle and Joey Votto walked. Aaron Herr GIDP to end the inning.

camisadelgolf
08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
The GCL Reds lost again today. They are the worst team in the minors. They are 10-31 and 19 games out of first place. They have scored 163 runs and allowed 248. The team ERA is 5.02 despite the fact that as a team they have allowed 61 unearned runs in 41 games. Thats incredible.

What was it Krivsky was preaching about pitching and defense?

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Elizardo Ramirez allowed a 2 out double but got the next batter to ground out to end the inning.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Bats go 1-2-3 in the 2nd.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Ramirez allowed back to back 2 out singles, but got a grounder to end the inning. 3ip, 3h, 0r, 0bb, 1K.

0-0 game, Bats batting in the 3rd.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Sarasota Reds currently lead 3-1.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Daryl Thompson has allowed a solo HR for the Sarasota Reds.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Paul Janish tripled to lead off the third. Hopefully someone can plate him.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Chris Dickerson gets it done with a deep fly out to CF, but Janish can easily score. Bats lead 1-0.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Josh Hamilton lines out to end the inning.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 09:00 PM
EZ gets them 1-2-3. 4ip, 3h, 0r, 0bb, 2K.

Joey Votto singles on a line drive. Aaron Heer singles on a line drive and runners are on 1st and 2nd for the Bats.

mound_patrol
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks Doug. Has Bruce done anything tonight thus far?

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Bruce is up with the bases loaded after 3 straight singles by Cantu, Herr, and Votto.

Bruce

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Bruce struck out. Jorgensen sac fly, 2-0 Bats.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
RF Bruce K's swinging,

C Ryan Jorgensen hits a Sac Fly to make it 2-0 Louisville,

SS Janish grounds into a force out.

2-0 Louisville after 4.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Sorry, Doug,....keep going.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 09:15 PM
ED, you can take over if you want. I have to go get some dinner before I pass out.

Lookouts should be underway soon.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:21 PM
It's not pretty....

Elizardo gave up a single then got two ground outs,....

then, Double, Triple, Single, Coaching visit, Single....3-2 Indianapolis over Louisville.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Ramirez has completely lost it.

Double and 2 more runs score....5-2 Indy over Louisville.

Coaching visit......

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Steve Kelley replacing Ramirez with 2 outs in the 5th.

....and he promptly gives up a 2-run homer....I think he's ready for the REDS' Major League pen.

7-2 Indy over Louisville

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Indy has hit for the cycle this inning and scored 7 runs......so far...man on first.

The inning's finally over.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Wow.... see what happens when I stop following the game? Jeeze.

On the bright side, Chattanooga dropped a 4 spot in the first.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Yes...I noticed....

I've got to go make me a sandwich.

Just came back from the meat market.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Votto singles in relief pitcher Steve Kelley gettin one run back....

7-3 Indy over Louisville.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Busy 1/2 inning...

pinchhitter, 2 defensive changes, Machado in the game, pitching change, Jorgensen throws out a runner, coaching visit to mound, single, couple of walks, Coutlangus in the game inheriting 2 runners with one out and he gives up a 2-run triple.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Sarasota is at least kicking butt. 7-1 in the 5th.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Coutlangus follows giving up the 2-run Triple by giving up a 2-run Homer.

Jon Coutlangus, you have just justified your demotion.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Chattanooga scored 4 in the first like i said earlier. Then James Avery goes out and gives up 4 in the first.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:03 PM
You made me look and then I refreshed the Chattanooga score only to see Avery give up a 4-spot in the bottom of the 1st.

4-4 Chattanooga vs Montgomery.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Sarasota is at least kicking butt. 7-1 in the 5th.

LF Heisey has been picked off and caught stealing. Any other way to get out on the bases to earn a trifecta?

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow, Coutlangus gave up a single and another homer.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM
LF Heisey has been picked off and caught stealing. Any other way to get out on the bases to earn a trifecta?

well the two things probably happened on the same play. But yeah, lets go with out of the base line. Dont see that one too often.... except in the Reds game tonight lol.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow, Coutlangus gave up a single and another homer.

A big 'Up yours!' to Wayne.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:11 PM
He's throwing batting practice.

....and I guess you could be hit by a batted ball.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Indy's scored 7 in the 5th and 6 in the 6th.

Salmon came in and gave up a single before getting the 2nd out of the inning...Carlos Maldonado struck out, who by the way, got the last out of the 5th inning.

Salmon got the next guy to ground out and ended this inning.

Must be fun in Louisville right now.

Anybody still there?

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
The players are lol.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Gerardo Cabrera hit a solo HR to give Sarasota an 8-2 lead.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Thompson for Sarasota done for the night.

5 IP, 8H, 2ER, 2BB, 2K, 1HR

8-2 Sarasota, bottom of the 6th. CF Cabrera hit his first homerun of the year for Sarasota.

dougdirt
08-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Chattanooga takes a 5-4 lead.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Cody Strait with another Triple. That's two of them this week.

Eric_Davis
08-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Louisville loses 13-5 to Indianapolis.

Sarasota wins 9-2 over Jupiter.

SS Valaika, C Perez, RF Strait (2B/3B), and DH Syzmanski each with 2 Hits.
CF Cabrera HR, Thompson with the win.

Chattanooga down 8-5 in the 5th. All 8 ER's vs Avery.

OesterPoster
08-08-2007, 11:22 PM
A big 'Up yours!' to Wayne.

Coutlangus listens very well. They told him to work on not giving up those lead-off walks. It doesn't appear that he's given up a lead-off walk tonight. :D

BigRed07
08-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Chattanooga up 9-8. Dorn 2 run 2 out homer in the top on 9th.

icehole3
08-09-2007, 05:43 AM
I hope Reds management doesnt destroy Cooter's confidence, the kid has to feel he got shafted.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Key, can you tell us how Coot was last night? Mentally screwed up with the demotion or just didn't have it?

Is this the first time you caught him?

Can Ramirez pitch himself out of a wet paper bag?

Does Salmon have enough to be up in Cincy? How was his velocity? Movement?

Gracias.

BRM
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Key, can you tell us how Coot was last night? Mentally screwed up with the demotion or just didn't have it?

Gracias.

Good questions. I'm interested in what Key has to say about Coutlangus and Salmon as well.

nate
08-09-2007, 11:47 AM
That "7-runs allowed with 2 outs" inning was brutal to watch. Lizard's fastball looked _really_ straight.

KeyMastur
08-09-2007, 12:18 PM

Gracias.
Coot...well, as you can see by the numbers didn't fare too well in his first AAA outing. He was really flying open with his front side and not hitting his spots. Kinda hard to set people up that way. Don't take this the wrong way, but he could care less about the demotion. It was a numbers game when you look at it - he had options, the other lefties didn't. He's not a headcase by any means. He'll be fine next time out.

EZ ran into a wall last night in the 5th inning as you can see. He was cruising along well until then. Honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone to pitch longer than 5 innings in this heat. It was brutal last night and the air was stagnant. Not even the nightfall helped cool things off because there was no breeze. I think I lost 10 pounds and couldn't get enough fluids in me.

Yes, Salmon has what it takes to be in Cincy. He has 4 good pitches (FB, Slider, Split, and a newly acquired curve). He's had great control with his curve getting it over for strikes. When he's calm on the mound, he'll dominate. Sometimes I think he rushes too much and just needs to take a step back and slow things down. I think he was consistent 91 - 93 last night with his fastball.

KeyMastur
08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
That "7-runs allowed with 2 outs" inning was brutal to watch. Lizard's fastball looked _really_ straight.
that's what happens when you get tired. a caught ball in the outfield would have ended that inning though. after that the wheels fell off and he wasn't getting any downward angle on his pitches. everything was up in the zone and getting hit hard.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Coot...well, as you can see by the numbers didn't fare too well in his first AAA outing. He was really flying open with his front side and not hitting his spots. Kinda hard to set people up that way. Don't take this the wrong way, but he could care less about the demotion. It was a numbers game when you look at it - he had options, the other lefties didn't. He's not a headcase by any means. He'll be fine next time out.

EZ ran into a wall last night in the 5th inning as you can see. He was cruising along well until then. Honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone to pitch longer than 5 innings in this heat. It was brutal last night and the air was stagnant. Not even the nightfall helped cool things off because there was no breeze. I think I lost 10 pounds and couldn't get enough fluids in me.

Yes, Salmon has what it takes to be in Cincy. He has 4 good pitches (FB, Slider, Split, and a newly acquired curve). He's had great control with his curve getting it over for strikes. When he's calm on the mound, he'll dominate. Sometimes I think he rushes too much and just needs to take a step back and slow things down. I think he was consistent 91 - 93 last night with his fastball.

Good stuff. Thanks.

BRM
08-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the insight KeyMastur! Much appreciated.

nate
08-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Great info, thanks!

OesterPoster
08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I'd like to add that I really appreciate the insight you've brought KeyMastur, regardless of some of the snippy comments from other posters. Keep it up, please.

TOBTTReds
08-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Coot...

EZ

Yes, Salmon...

Thanks for the insight. That stuff is very much appreciated by everyone here.

dougdirt
08-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Well you just summed up the entire Reds crappy organziation. Two pitchers, Coutlangus and Salmon, both good enough to be in the big leagues, both who posted ERA's under 4 while there, down in AAA because 1 guy was the new guy who throws with the wrong arm (all while Stanton gets to post an ERA over 5) and Salmon is down, well I have no clue why he is down. The Reds are not about fielding the best team and that is a major problem.... especially when its not like you are out rushing your best prospects. I get keeping Jay Bruce in the minors the rest of the year. I dont get keeping two guys in Jon and Brad down in AAA for crap.

Eric_Davis
08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Maybe Coutlangus was pitching so they'd release him so he could sign on with another club.

KeyMastur
08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Maybe Coutlangus was pitching so they'd release him so he could sign on with another club.

huh ?? they didn't release him. they optioned him down. if any other lefty was to come down from the bullpen he'd have to clear waivers and be taken off the roster

Patrick Bateman
08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Well you just summed up the entire Reds crappy organziation. Two pitchers, Coutlangus and Salmon, both good enough to be in the big leagues, both who posted ERA's under 4 while there, down in AAA because 1 guy was the new guy who throws with the wrong arm (all while Stanton gets to post an ERA over 5) and Salmon is down, well I have no clue why he is down. The Reds are not about fielding the best team and that is a major problem.... especially when its not like you are out rushing your best prospects. I get keeping Jay Bruce in the minors the rest of the year. I dont get keeping two guys in Jon and Brad down in AAA for crap.

I don't think it's that big a deal. Even with his 3.93 ERA he was pitching pretty awful. His ERA really should have been closer to the 5.00 range IMO.

Not that Stanton is great either, because he's not. I'm still hopeful the Reds can find a sucker to take on his 3M due next season. If Cout was really pitching well I could see how people would be pissed that he was optioned to keep an inferior pitcher, but in this case they have both really stunk. Cout has some things he needs to work on, and I'd prefer he do it in the majors since he may actually fit into future plans (inliuke Stanton), but if you are talking about fielding the best team for right now, the differenve between Stanton and Cout is pretty minimal.

I think Krivsky has a pretty awful plan with the youth movement, but getting rid of Stanton's contract would be worth sending down Cout for awhile. Plus considering just how bad Cout was last night, perhaps this was something the Reds saw coming. I don't know anything for sure, but Cout hardly went down and showed the world what the Reds were missing.

I agree with you Salmon. He needs to be up. He should have a future in this organization, plus he's one of the current best 7 relief pitchers.

Blue
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I think the Reds see Couter as a LOOGY, and a .378 OBP was not getting the job done, especially when Gosling has better numbers against lefties.

TOBTTReds
08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
huh ?? they didn't release him. they optioned him down. if any other lefty was to come down from the bullpen he'd have to clear waivers and be taken off the roster

I think he was saying sarcastically that Coot was pitching bad, intentionally, so he would be released and he could join a team that would actually play him in the majors because our team is obsessed with LH'ers, and vets. So the vets get to stay, while our young better pitchers get optioned. Doesn't make sense for a team that is out of it to be playing sCrappy vets.

camisadelgolf
08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the info, KeyMastur. That's great insight. I have so many questions I almost want to start a new thread. I'll try to limit myself to just a few, though.

Do you think Bill Bray and Marcus McBeth have any potential as closers down the line? If not, what do you think holds them back?

What's the deal with Anderson Machado? His defense seems adequate, he can get on base at a high rate, and he has decent speed, but it seems like his gap power is worse than Vern Troyer's. Is his problem mostly physical?

Is there a player the Reds have released and made you think, "Geez, the Reds really screwed up when they let him go."?

Eric_Davis
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM

I didn't say they did. I said, Maybe he pitched that way so they "WOULD" release him. It was sarcasm, anyway.