PDA

View Full Version : Sparky at his best

cincrazy
08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
"I realized you can't be in a game as a professional unless winning and losing are everything, your whole life. You have to suffer when you lose - for that day. The next day, you start all over again. You have to like to win; you have to want to win - not by killing or cheating, but by anything short of that."- Sparky Anderson, as quoted in "Big Red Dynasty," by Greg Rhodes and John Erardi.

I wish this current group of Reds would take a long, hard look at that quote. That epitomizes why some teams are great, and why others are there to collect their cash and go home for the night.

I'm not saying that anyone on this team likes to lose, but I am saying that most guys on the team don't HATE to lose, to the point to where it makes them sick. Ladies and gentlemen, the above quote was what this once proud franchise was all about. Sadly, that hasn't been the case for a number of years.

George Anderson
08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
The avatar I have shows just how passionate Sparky was about winning. Besides Pinella, when was the last time you saw a Reds manager show the passion that Sparky showed on the field?? I'm not saying such on field passion is a requirement to being a good manager, but sometimes its good to show that people that you give a damn about winning.

Johnny Footstool
08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
If the current crop of Reds players beat themselves up after each loss, the team would need to add about a dozen sports psychologists to the medical staff.

If the roster was well-balanced with talent and the team was still losing, then I'd start to question their desire. As it is, no amount of desire can fix the bullpen.

Redsland
08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Really, really wanting to win doesn't matter when:

You've got Jeff Conine batting cleanup
Your top pinch hitter is Javier Valentin
Chad Moeller gets promoted to your club not once but twice
Juan Castro seems like a good person to pinch hit for Josh Hamilton
Your #5 starter out of ST is Eric Milton
Your bullpen includes Mike Stanton, Victor Santos, and Mike Gosling, all of whom merely replaced departed contributors like Rheal Cormier, Kirk Saarloos, and Ricky Stone
Mark Bellhorn seems like a good addition
Your starting catcher's name should probably be Mendoza
Neither of your corner infielders are hitting for power
Two critical offensive weapons are each 37 years old
Your most potent bat has been hitting in the five-hole for a month
Your leadoff man has a .300 OBP and gets picked off base on those rare occasions that he reaches
Your owner thinks Eddie Guardado and Bill Bray will save the season
Hopper and Keppinger are seen as anything more than useful role players
The season would likely have been much worse if not for the unprecedented success of Josh Hamilton
And I haven't even mentioned Alex Gonzalez yet.

Hating to lose isn't the problem. This is just a bad team. Poorly constructed, poorly deployed, utterly lacking in form and substance. These guys can throw coolers around the dugout until the cows come home, but all that's going to give them is torn ligaments.

cincrazy
08-09-2007, 12:17 AM
This team has more than a few underperforming individuals. While I agree that lack of talent is the main problem, as it is with any losing team, the Reds should be nowhere near as bad as their record. Just my opinion, anyways.