PDA

View Full Version : Castellini Speaks

BRM
08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
From Fay's blog

Bob Castellini had a quick, unplanned session with beat writers this afternoon. Some quick hits:

On Wayne Krivsky: He said his job is not in jeopardy. "He's a done a good job. . . We're on the same page."

On Adam Dunn's option: "I'm not going to talk about it. Adam's playing good baseball."

On the managerial situation: "We'll take a look at after the season. No sense in looking at it now. Pete (Mackanin) doing a good job."

edabbs44
08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
It's amazing that a team this bad could have so many people doing a good job.

BRM
08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Trent has a little blurb as well.

Just talked to Bob Castellini, will get you the quotes when I transcribe the tape. The basic idea of the statements were that Wayne's job was safe and that Wayne has a plan and Bob thinks it's a good one. He would not comment on Adam Dunn's option, but he did have positive words for Dunn's performance.

TOBTTReds
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
It's amazing that a team this bad could have so many people doing a good job.

Big ships take a while to turn around.

Matt700wlw
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Narron was "doing a good job" too...

Redsland
08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Big ships take a while to turn around.
This must be a really, really big ship.

Huge.

Red Leader
08-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Sinking ships don't turn at all :dunno:

Even if they did, it wouldn't matter, they're still hitting bottom.

BRM
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
This must be a really, really big ship.

Huge.

Titanic jokes are sure to follow...

Aronchis
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
It will be interesting if Krivsky comes out and fires shots at Cast about his "strategy" once they part ways. Cast IMO deserves alot of the blame of his poor start running the club and needs to change his ways fast.

He is to demanding and not in grips with the Reds situation. It drove away more talented GM prospects his first time through the process and will do again if he doesn't change.

Matt700wlw
08-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Titanic jokes are sure to follow...

Well, the deck chairs have been getting some use...

Ltlabner
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
He is to demanding and not in grips with the Reds situation. It drove away more talented GM prospects his first time through the process and will do again if he doesn't change.

Huh?

Who did it drive away? :confused:

Matt700wlw
08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Huh?

He doesn't know.

I don't know...I think Krivsky was the favorite fromt he get-go. I thought he was going to get the job over O'Brien

nate
08-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Huh?

Well, Dan O'Brien for one.

BCubb2003
08-08-2007, 05:16 PM
The trouble is it takes at least two years to prove a manager needs to go and two managers to prove a GM needs to go

BRM
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Fay has updated his blog with some more quotes from Castellini.

Bob Castellini had an impromptu session with beat writers this afternoon. He was asked point blank if GM Wayne Krivsky's job was in trouble.

"No," he said. "He's done a good job."

Other tidbits:

On Krivsky: “Wayne’s a plugger. He keeps at it – a lot of determination.”

On a plan: “I think Wayne is taking a studied approach to it. We’re’ on the same page.

Is he pleased with the job interim manager Pete Mackanin has done? “All of us are. He has a nice way about him. He communicates well with the players.”

On naming a permanent manager: “We’ll take a look at it after the season. Pete’s doing a good job. There’s no sense talking about it now."

He asked me what I thought about the way the club is playing. I said it's easier to play well when the season is lost.

"So you think it's over?" he said.

"If you look at the numbers, yes."

He wasn't ready to concede that.

“If you win two-thirds your games in our division, (it's not)," he said. "There’s a high probability, that you’re right. But there are 50 games to go. Rose-color glasses, no. But you can’t give up. These players haven’t given up. They’re not just playing for individual stats. They’re playing to win.”

Matt700wlw
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
The first step to fixing this team is admitting it's not good enough and admitting that change is needed.

They can't seem to do that. As long as they can't do that, then the the team will continue down the path they're on.

BRM
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
C. Trent adds more.

Here's the Bob Castellini stuff:

On Wayne Krivsky: "Wayne’s a plugger. He’s a plugger. He just keeps after it. A lot of determination."

"I think Wayne is taking a studied approach to everything,” Castellini said. “We’re on the same page.”

Is Krivsky's job in jeopardy? “No.”

"He’s done a good job overall,” Castellini said. “He’s trying really hard, we’re all trying hard.”

On Dunn's option: “I’m not going to talk about it,” Castellini said. “Adam’s playing good baseball. Did you see him last night? I congratulated him, he did that 100-yard dash around the bases. He’s getting key hits, he won the game for us the other night. He’s a talented ballplayer.”

On Pete Mackanin: "All of us have (been impressed), he’s got a nice way about him. He communicates well with the players."

"Pete’s doing a good job, there’s no sense talking about it right now."

On the team: "If you hang around these guys, you can feel the optimism."

"The players haven’t given up, they’re not playing for individual stats, they’re playing like a team."

nate
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
A plugger?

Red Leader
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM
A plugger?

Ask Puffy. :laugh:

Cyclone792
08-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Of course he's going to say Krivsky and Mackanin are "doing a good job," but he was saying that about Narron two months before Narron felt the door hit him on the way out. To me, the only thing that stuck out with Bob's comments are that he went a bit more in-depth on Dunn than he did on Krivsky or Mackanin. Then again, the Dunn comments could really mean nothing themselves.

Aronchis
08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
He doesn't know.

I don't know...I think Krivsky was the favorite fromt he get-go. I thought he was going to get the job over O'Brien

I don't know? Come on, your joking right? Cast outright tried to interview assistants from the Marlins and Indians organizations and was turned down. He never even bothered some potential candidates.

Then he went to Krivsky,Beattie,Wren ete basically old warhorses.

Cast sets the plan and then tells his GM to "put it to work". That makes the GM's job very difficult. Maybe Cast can wiggle out a better GM who can "install" his plan better, but it won't be easy. It is why I can't complain about Krivsky from a philosophical view. He took the job knowing he would have to sacrafice several personal philosophies to win under Cast, but at his age, he had to make the move at some point.

His quotes and behavior tell us a guy who is stressed out and unhappy. My guess, he is ready to move on. He took the gamble and it didn't payoff.

If Cast doesn't have a better list of names he had the first time, we are still screwed. It all starts with him. My advice to Bob is: Go away and hire a Team President or allow your GM more authority. I have seen enough of your "planning" for 1 lifetime.

The only hope for the Reds is that the farm system goes through a boom and delivers enough pitching prospects to shore up the majors pitching over the next 2 years. But that is asking alot of a historical poor system.

Cyclone792
08-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't know? Come on, your joking right? Cast outright tried to interview assistants from the Marlins and Indians organizations and was turned down. He never even bothered some potential candidates.

Then he went to Krivsky,Beattie,Wren ete basically old warhorses.

Cast sets the plan and then tells his GM to "put it to work". That makes the GM's job very difficult. Maybe Cast can wiggle out a better GM who can "install" his plan better, but it won't be easy. It is why I can't complain about Krivsky from a philosophical view. He took the job knowing he would have to sacrafice several personal philosophies to win under Cast, but at his age, he had to make the move at some point.

His quotes and behavior tell us a guy who is stressed out and unhappy. My guess, he is ready to move on. He took the gamble and it didn't payoff.

If Cast doesn't have a better list of names he had the first time, we are still screwed. It all starts with him. My advice to Bob is: Go away and hire a Team President or allow your GM more authority. I have seen enough of your "planning" for 1 lifetime.

The only hope for the Reds is that the farm system goes through a boom and delivers enough pitching prospects to shore up the majors pitching over the next 2 years. But that is asking alot of a historical poor system.

I think the most frightening aspect of what you've outlined above is that Cast sounds a lot like Mike Brown.

dabvu2498
08-08-2007, 05:30 PM
RCast reminds me of the first real, adult boss I ever had.

At meetings all the time, yelling "We're going to be more organized! We're going to work harder! We're going to eliminate nonproductivity from our department!"

Then two days later you'd walk in to his office and there'd be a half eaten pizza on the floor, a mountain of papers waiting to get lost on his desk and he'd be on his couch, shoes off, reading Sports Illustrated.

Always kept "yes-men" around and had to count on their underlings to keep all their butts out of the fire. All us underlings were scared of him. But not really. And we all left quickly. But there was always a quick supply of underlings ready to be plugged in.

Ltlabner
08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Cast outright tried to interview assistants from the Marlins and Indians organizations and was turned down. He never even bothered some potential candidates. .

That he was turned down to interview candidates by their orginizations means it was because he's "too demanding" as you originally claimed?

I don't see that connection.

Not nit-picking, I just don't remember hearing those news stories. "BCast denied access to interview Harvey Wallbanger by the Walla Walla Warriors because he's too demanding". I think a story along those lines would have stuck in my memory somewhere.

Blitz Dorsey
08-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Castellini and Krivsky inherited a mess and I am going to be patient with both of them (meaning it better be much better at this time next year... haha).

But seriously, these guys deserve more time. I like Castellini very much and think he will prove to be a good owner. Please don't compare him to Mike Brown. Not even close. Brown cuts corners on everything and I don't get that same feel from Cast. Yes, the Bengals are good now, but that's despite of Mike Brown. I have faith that Castellini will get it turned around. He might not have bottomless pockets, but he's not cheap by any means. I know it doesn't mean a hill of beans to some, but I thought it was a good sign that he did "whatever it took" to bring Thom B. and Brantley here as announcers. No, that's not as good as signing some great players, but it was still a good sign from this fan's point of view. I also liked how the club did not mess around last offseason in signing Harang and Arroyo to long-term deals. It would be easy to argue now that the Arroyo deal was a bad one for the Reds, especially since he would not have been able to be a free agent until after the '08 season, but I still liked the moves.

Krivsky? Honestly, I think he's average. But considering the mess he inherited from Jim Bowden (and yeah I know DanO was there for two years in between) who had no clue how to develop pitchers in the organization, I am definitely willing to give him some more time. I think Krivsky will prove to be a decent GM in time. Nothing great, but decent.

Unassisted
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Those BobCast quotes sound to me like they came from someone who is not closely involved in the day-to-day operation of the club. Either that or they were intentionally obtuse.

Regardless, the non-chalance in those quotes doesn't convey that things in the FO have reached a tipping point. I'd really like for one of the beat writers to interview Bob's son, who is involved in the day-to-day. I would wager that the opinion of Castellini-fils is delivered frequently to Castellini-pére and carries a lot of weight.

MartyFan
08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I think it is laughable how some of you characterize Mr. C and Special K...both have built successful organizations, both have been part of winners in baseball and other areas of endeavor.

This entire organization was owned by two of the worst ownership groups EVER in the past two owners...Changing the culture of an entire organization cannot take place in only a matter of a few months. Look at the Brewers...take a look at the Indians of the late 80's...how bout the Cardinals before they turned into the powerhouse they have been...take note of the Yankees, BoSox and every other organization that crashed and burned in the past...we finally have a quality owner...but it takes time.

gm
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Someone should tell Bob that "Mama's not happy"

KronoRed
08-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Everyone doing a good job in here? allright..lets hug!

:D

creek14
08-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I think it is laughable how some of you characterize Mr. C and Special K...both have built successful organizations, both have been part of winners in baseball and other areas of endeavor.

This entire organization was owned by two of the worst ownership groups EVER in the past two owners...

Both of whom had built successful organizations, one had been a winner in baseball and both were winners in other areas of endeavor.

Phhhl
08-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm not going to jump on Castellini. I sincerely believe he wants to win, and that is a LOT more than can be said about the previous owner. Hopefully, he will learn quickly from his experiences and make good decisions moving forward.

WVRedsFan
08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Both of whom had built successful organizations, one had been a winner in baseball and both were winners in other areas of endeavor.

Exactly. Same old same old.

There is no hope. When a man can look at this mess and say everyone is doing a good job, it's time to call the men in the white coats.

When a man can say one time that his objective is to contend for the division and 18 months later at double digits under .500 say everyone is doing a good job, he's living in another world.

There is no hope.

BrooklynRedz
08-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Exactly. Same old same old.

There is no hope. When a man can look at this mess and say everyone is doing a good job, it's time to call the men in the white coats.

When a man can say one time that his objective is to contend for the division and 18 months later at double digits under .500 say everyone is doing a good job, he's living in another world.

There is no hope.

I didn't see the quote where he said everyone was doing a good job. I saw him mention three names.

Redsland
08-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Changing the culture of an entire organization cannot take place in only a matter of a few months.
During Wayne's tenure he has remade the roster and overhauled the front office. The personnel and the attendant culture they bring to the organization is as changed versus the previous regime as it's going to be.

WVRedsFan
08-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I didn't see the quote where he said everyone was doing a good job. I saw him mention three names.

Everyone he mentioned was doing a good job. He just didn't get to everyone.

Seriously.

Blimpie
08-08-2007, 08:42 PM
“I think Wayne is taking a studied approach to it. We’re’ on the same page"That must be the "paralysis by analysis" page, I guess...

REDREAD
08-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Narron was "doing a good job" too...

My thoughts exactly. If I recall, Narron got a big public vote of confidence about 3-4 weeks before he got the boot.

It's a bit disturbing that Cast just didn't come out and say "Of course, we're picking up Dunn's option, we'd be idiots to not trade him in July if we had no intention of picking up the option".. The noncommital BS worries me.

RedsManRick
08-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Castellini strikes me exactly as the type of executive who will publicly support you and then take you to the woodshed in private. He gains nothing by undercutting WK's authority in public.

IslandRed
08-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Castellini strikes me exactly as the type of executive who will publicly support you and then take you to the woodshed in private. He gains nothing by undercutting WK's authority in public.

Exactly. And Krivsky doesn't call out his players in public, either. He does what he has to do, and eventually Castellini may do what he has to do, but they don't badmouth the product.

Now, Cast's comments to Fay are worth looking at closely, saying the Reds aren't out of it. Are those the opinions of a hopelessly optimistic new owner who's going to hamstring attempts to make over the ballclub because he'll never concede? Or is it just maintaining game face because there are tickets to sell? Guess we'll see.