PDA

View Full Version : Read between the lines.....

redsfan30
08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
From Trent:

I have been told there's a good reason Coffey is still here and it will become apparent. We'll see.

This could get interesting because Coffey alone isn't going to anything back but he could be a nice throw in in a potential bigger deal.

Stay tuned.

RedsManRick
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
No way Coffey makes it through waivers. Probably just going down when Ellison gets over here.

Joseph
08-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Maybe he's staying cause a bunch of other arms are leaving from the 'pen in deals? Weathers. Stanton. etc?

LawFive
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I hope they're not actually considering starting him. He has been stretched a couple times of late...2.2 innings here, 2 there.

Coffeybro
08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I hope they're not actually considering starting him. He has been stretched a couple times of late...2.2 innings here, 2 there.

If that is the case it would be a big surprise to me. He hasn't started since just after his tommy john surgery and then only a couple games.

KronoRed
08-08-2007, 06:18 PM

That would reek of insanity.

camisadelgolf
08-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Call me crazy, but I think it's worth giving Coffey a shot at being a starter. However, I wouldn't give him that shot until spring trainin. Then again, I don't think he would be much worse than Phil Dumatrait.

RedLegSuperStar
08-08-2007, 07:39 PM
No way Coffey makes it through waivers. Probably just going down when Ellison gets over here.

I agree with Rick.. Coffey goes down tomorrow when Ellison arrives.

Kc61
08-08-2007, 11:18 PM

I don't see why someone necessarily would claim Coffey. Having a bad year, have to pay him $850,000 (if I remember the amount correctly) for next year.

camisadelgolf
08-08-2007, 11:23 PM
$850k for a reliever with nasty stuff and some history of success? I'd claim him.

Cedric
08-08-2007, 11:27 PM
$850k for a reliever with nasty stuff and some history of success? I'd claim him.

Very little success and nowhere near nasty stuff. Reds fans think anything over 93 is "nasty". This is nothing personal against Todd, I love his attitude and his love of the game. I just don't think you have nasty stuff when you can't locate a pitch within a foot of the intended zone. Look at the amount of hits he gives up her innings pitched and you don't see "nasty" stuff.

I doubt anyone would claim Todd Coffey at this point.

pedro
08-09-2007, 12:18 AM

I guess a team with a big payroll might take a chance on him figuring they can afford to just dump him if he busts. I don't see smaller market teams claiming him though.

Todd is still young and as long as he can throw hard he is going to get opportunities, whether it's in Cincinnati or elsewhere.

camisadelgolf
08-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Very little success and nowhere near nasty stuff. Reds fans think anything over 93 is "nasty". This is nothing personal against Todd, I love his attitude and his love of the game. I just don't think you have nasty stuff when you can't locate a pitch within a foot of the intended zone. Look at the amount of hits he gives up her innings pitched and you don't see "nasty" stuff.

I doubt anyone would claim Todd Coffey at this point.

Many people believe Todd Coffey has the nastiest stuff on the team. The reason I said that wasn't based only on my opinion. Although he may throw hard, I'd label him as a contact pitcher.

Also, look at the lack of walks, and you'll see he actually does "pitch within a foot of the intended zone." I think his problems are purely psychological.

Cedric
08-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Many people believe Todd Coffey has the nastiest stuff on the team. The reason I said that wasn't based only on my opinion. Although he may throw hard, I'd label him as a contact pitcher.

Also, look at the lack of walks, and you'll see he actually does "pitch within a foot of the intended zone." I think his problems are purely psychological.

The "intended zone" isn't usually right down the middle. That is where a ton of his pitches end up because he can't locate. He is a thrower and doesn't have nearly good enough stuff to get away with that.

I wasn't talking about the strike zone when I mentioned the intended zone.

camisadelgolf
08-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I'll just disagree with you. Next time I'm in Clifton, we can go to Murphy's and play a round of darts over it. If that doesn't work, we can step outside.:beerme:

Cedric
08-09-2007, 01:10 AM
I'll just disagree with you. Next time I'm in Clifton, we can go to Murphy's and play a round of darts over it. If that doesn't work, we can step outside.:beerme:

I prefer Arlins. I'll take your money at the billiards table.

pedro
08-09-2007, 01:29 AM

In my kitchen, here in Portland, Oregon. I have a pint glass stolen from Murphy's Pub.

Cedric
08-09-2007, 02:02 AM
In my kitchen, here in Portland, Oregon. I have a pint glass stolen from Murphy's Pub.

I used to live two seconds from Murphy's. I'm just thrilled to be away from Clifton honestly. It was ok for awhile.

pedro
08-09-2007, 02:17 AM
I used to live two seconds from Murphy's. I'm just thrilled to be away from Clifton honestly. It was ok for awhile.

I understand. I lived in Athens for 7 years.

mth123
08-09-2007, 04:38 AM
This morning Coffey's name appears on the Louisville Bats Roster on minorleaguebaseball.com

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=416&stn=true&sid=t416

BRM
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
From the Reds transactions page.

Optioned RHP Todd Coffey to Triple-A Louisville.

Claimed OF Jason Ellison off waivers from the Seattle Mariners.

camisadelgolf
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I prefer Arlins. I'll take your money at the billiards table.

I prefer Arlins, too, but if we play billiards, I might as well give you my money.

bucksfan2
08-09-2007, 10:19 AM

He doesn't have nasty stuff. A 93-94 mph fastball isn't nasty unless you can dial it up to 97 or throw a change up 15mph slower. His breaking stuff is unreliable and I hope he goes down to AAA and works mainly on a 2nd pitch.

flyer85
08-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I have been told there's a good reason Coffey is still here and it will become apparent. We'll see.... maybe in 2011?

camisadelgolf
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
He doesn't have nasty stuff. A 93-94 mph fastball isn't nasty unless you can dial it up to 97 or throw a change up 15mph slower. His breaking stuff is unreliable and I hope he goes down to AAA and works mainly on a 2nd pitch.

I agree about his breaking stuff. His breaking stuff is only average anyway, and when he loses confidence in it, all hell breaks loose. I think his success relies on his confidence, and it's probably going to take an entire offseason for him to rebound.