PDA

View Full Version : Do the Reds Have Any Chance Whatsoever This Year?

Pages : 1 [2]

KronoRed
08-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey hey hey..pedro made that joke in another thread, you you..JOKE THIEF!!

;)

RFS62
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM

;)

..I know... I just saw it.

I swear I didn't see it before I just posted it.

I think it's an obvious reference here lately at ProzacZone.

RFS62
08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Ya know, it looks like the Reds forgot to read this thread.

Matt700wlw
08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Maybe our knee-jerk reactions were premature ;)

:p:

Always Red
08-29-2007, 08:25 PM

;)

Yeah, but kudos to RFS for adding the Dante's Inferno pictorial reference...

nate
08-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Maybe our knee-jerk reactions were premature ;)

They have drugs for that.

Falls City Beer
08-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but kudos to RFS for adding the Dante's Inferno pictorial reference...

If you look carefully you can see RFS and Puffy dancing atop Purgatory.

Cyclone792
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
So what you're saying is, we're heartbroken that the Reds' chances have just dropped from under 1% to under 1% :)

Precisely!

What's ironic is while Tuesday night saw the worst possible scenario unfold for the Reds, tonight saw the best possible scenario unfold. The Reds picked up a win while the Brewers beat the Cubs and the Astros beat the Cardinals.

Now the Reds are 7 games behind the Cubs, 5.5 games behind the Brewers, and 5 games behind the Cardinals. If the Reds can pick up a win tomorrow night to split the series in Pittsburgh and maybe get some more help from the Brewers and Astros, then suddenly that weekend series in St. Louis could be a tad interesting once again.

Still though, it should be said that as good as tonight was for the Reds, their chances increased from under 1% to still only under 1%. ;)

pedro
08-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Handwringing? Second guessing?

You don't have to do any of those when you know exactly what's going to happen.

The only handwringing going on is coming from people who are grousing about Mac's moves last night. Talk about missing the big picture.

I think I've got a pretty good view of the big picture FCB. The Reds stink and have for a long time. It's going to take a while before they don't.

Now all the folks who think this ship should have been turned around already? I think they're missing the big picture.

fearofpopvol1
08-30-2007, 01:00 AM
The doubleheader loss was a big blow, but the way things unfolded tonight was good. Hopefully tomorrow will see a similar outcome. They're going to need to take 2/3 in STL though to make it interesting.

Ron Madden
08-30-2007, 03:06 AM
I think I've got a pretty good view of the big picture FCB. The Reds stink and have for a long time. It's going to take a while before they don't.

Now all the folks who think this ship should have been turned around already? I think they're missing the big picture.

Pretty Much.

mbgrayson
08-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Precisely!
Still though, it should be said that as good as tonight was for the Reds, their chances increased from under 1% to still only under 1%. ;)

Todays Baseball Prospectus Postseason Odds Report (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php) puts the Reds chances at making the postseason at .59967%.

That is almost double yesterday morning's .30 percent. So it is true to say that yesterdays events doubled the Reds chances....

The Reds have two chances to make the playoffs this year: 'slim and none'. And 'slim' is packing his bags....

The funny thing is I still enjoy watching these games. It is fun to see the younger players like Hamilton, Keppinger, and Burton develop, and to watch the vets actually help win some games. It is fun to daydream about taking the first half of last year and welding it on to the second half of this year....I wish...

fearofpopvol1
08-30-2007, 10:26 PM
They needed to win tonight for sure, but the way they battled was most impressive. I can't remember the last time I watched a game that had so many things go wrong for the Reds. The Griffey homer in the first (which I still contend it was), the Dunn errors in the field, the Dunn 3rd base play, Burton pitching uncharacteristicly and then the ridiculous Phillips play in the 9th...that was some kind of battle. What a special game. Hopefully that momentum carries on through Busch...

Matt700wlw
08-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Well...

I don't know anymore. We'll see what happens.

RFS62
08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
They needed to win tonight for sure, but the way they battled was most impressive. I can't remember the last time I watched a game that had so many things go wrong for the Reds. The Griffey homer in the first (which I still contend it was), the Dunn errors in the field, the Dunn 3rd base play, Burton pitching uncharacteristicly and then the ridiculous Phillips play in the 9th...that was some kind of battle. What a special game. Hopefully that momentum carries on through Busch...

Yeah, that was exactly the kind of game where we used to fold like a cheap lawn chair.

What a wacky game.

Incredible hustle by Gonzo and Phillips at the end sealed the deal.

And the Big Donkey, well he was hustling so hard he forgot to touch third base!!!

Cyclone792
08-30-2007, 11:16 PM
The Cubs beat the Brewers tonight, and the Cardinals lost to the Astros earlier today.

The Reds still trail the Cubs by 7 games, but they picked up ground on both the Brewers and Cardinals. They now trail the Brewers by 4.5 games and the Cardinals by 4 games.