PDA

View Full Version : Coffey to Louisville

Matt700wlw
08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
OF Jason Ellison (#16) joined the club today...yesterday he was claimed off waivers from the Mariners...he will take the roster spot vacated by RHP Todd Coffey, who has been optioned to Louisville.

BRM
08-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I put this in the "Read between the lines" thread but it probably deserved it's own.

No surprise here with Coffey getting demoted.

westofyou
08-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Coffey was held back to assure that the BP wouldn't get slammed if Harang's back acted up.

Red Leader
08-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Oooooh. So this is that "just wait and see" move the front office was so turn your head and giggle, about.

Meh.

My question is, why did Todd Coffey earn the right to stay up on the roster one more day than Jon Coutlangus? Is it because Todd is signed to a Major League guaranteed contract and Coutlangus has a split contract, so there's no change in salary if Todd is sent down, but there is if Coutlangus is sent down?

BRM
08-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Coffey was held back to assure that the BP wouldn't get slammed if Harang's back acted up.

Makes sense. You mean I got all excited over nothing the other day? ;)

westofyou
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
why did Todd Coffey earn the right to stay up on the roster one more day than Jon Coutlangus?

Because he's not a Loogy and go longer and with Harang's back issues that's what they needed.

redsrule2500
08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Finally.

flyer85
08-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Ellison will make all the difference!!

westofyou
08-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Well.. he is after all "Barry Bond's Legs"

Chip R
08-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Unfortunately, Coffey wouldn't have lasted that long as he probably would have gotten shelled out there.

BRM
08-09-2007, 10:47 AM

:KoolAid:

redsmetz
08-09-2007, 10:51 AM
My question is, why did Todd Coffey earn the right to stay up on the roster one more day than Jon Coutlangus? Is it because Todd is signed to a Major League guaranteed contract and Coutlangus has a split contract, so there's no change in salary if Todd is sent down, but there is if Coutlangus is sent down?

So you think they're going to sweat a few thousand dollars now? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Red Leader
08-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Because he's not a Loogy and go longer and with Harang's back issues that's what they needed.

But in this situation, Coffey isn't any better than Coutlangus.

vs RH hitters in 2007:

Coutlangus: .253/.356/.427/.782
Coffey: .323/.379/.567/.946

My point is, if Coffey was sent down yesterday and Coutlangus was used in the "emergency" role that they saved Coffey for, Coutlangus likely would have performed better. Had Harang had to leave his start early, I doubt you would have seen Coffey go any longer than 3 IP (his longest this year is 2 2/3). Coutlangus has gone 1 2/3 a couple times, and at this point in the season I don't see any harm in stretching him out another inning or so...

HumnHilghtFreel
08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
A long overdue move. Hopefully he stays down for awhile, if not the rest of the year so that he can figure things out for himself, instead of being shuttled back and forth as needed.

RedLegSuperStar
08-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Throwing Beach Balls In AAA:

Fay -

By the way, Jon Coutlangus gave up five runs without retiring a batter in Louisville tonight. Maybe Wayne Krivsky saw that coming.

westofyou
08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

vs RH hitters in 2007:

My point is, if Coffey was sent down yesterday and Coutlangus was used in the "emergency" role that they saved Coffey for, Coutlangus likely would have performed better. Had Harang had to leave his start early, I doubt you would have seen Coffey go any longer than 3 IP (his longest this year is 2 2/3). Coutlangus has gone 1 2/3 a couple times, and at this point in the season I don't see any harm in stretching him out another inning or so...

He's a loogy with a 6.86 ERA vs RH and a 15/11 K to BB ratio, and despite Coffey's problems he's not setup man, nor when you look at the Dodgers team splits it's harder to want to go with John over Todd if you know you are going to get your butt kicked (and that's probably the only way they would see the field last night)

nate
08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

vs RH hitters in 2007:

I dunno, maybe Wayne is a freaking soothsayer. Here's Cooter's line from last night:

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Coutlangus 0.0 4 5 5 1 0 2 --

red-in-la
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Don't you mean he was held back to MAKE SURE that the BP got slammed if Harang's back acted up?

:D

red-in-la
08-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I dunno, maybe Wayne is a freaking soothsayer. Here's Cooter's line from last night:

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Coutlangus 0.0 4 5 5 1 0 2 --

Just a little bit of the discouraged effect? Sent down while Coffey stayed there?

Red Leader
08-09-2007, 11:08 AM
He's a loogy with a 6.86 ERA vs RH and a 15/11 K to BB ratio, and despite Coffey's problems he's not setup man, nor when you look at the Dodgers team splits it's harder to want to go with John over Todd if you know you are going to get your butt kicked (and that's probably the only way they would see the field last night)

Don't think I'm all crazy over this. In the end, it's no big deal either way. I just think in most cases it's better to go with a reliever that's been getting hitters out vs a "situational" guy that can't get anyone out. Like I said, though, no big deal either way as they are now both in AAA.

westofyou
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Just a little bit of the discouraged effect? Sent down while Coffey stayed there?
If that's the case then he would have "No intestinal fortitude" and thus should be watched more carefully.

Cout is a rookie correct? Plus he is up there in appearances in the NL... he could be hitting a wall and Tom Hume and crew might have seen it coming.

red-in-la
08-09-2007, 11:17 AM
If that's the case then he would have "No intestinal fortitude" and thus should be watched more carefully.

Cout is a rookie correct? Plus he is up there in appearances in the NL... he could be hitting a wall and Tom Hume and crew might have seen it coming.

Could be.....for sure that is a good point. But if RZ reacted to his demotion like it did, how do we think Coutlagus felt?

I am not so sure, that under the circumstances, that I blame the Count for a bad outing.

Anyway, I thought Coutlagus was a Rule 5 guy.....how did the Reds acquire him?

Red Leader
08-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Could be.....for sure that is a good point. But if RZ reacted to his demotion like it did, how do we think Coutlagus felt?

I am not so sure, that under the circumstances, that I blame the Count for a bad outing.

I agree.

Mar 31,2006 - Claimed off waivers by Reds from Giants

redsmetz
08-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Burton is the Rule 5 guy. We claimed Coutlangus off waivers so since he's still on our 40 man roster, we can send him down.

Re: the reactions on RZ; the standard MO around here is for folks to be stepping out on the ledge if someone sneezes or hiccups down at GABP and it's adjacent offices, no?

BRM
08-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Re: the reactions on RZ; the standard MO around here is for folks to be stepping out on the ledge if someone sneezes or hiccups down at GABP and it's adjacent offices, no?

Nah, it doesn't even require a sneeze. We live out on the ledge. ;)

red-in-la
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Burton is the Rule 5 guy. We claimed Coutlangus off waivers so since he's still on our 40 man roster, we can send him down.

Thanks for the clarification RM......

westofyou
08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
But if RZ reacted to his demotion like it did, how do we think Coutlagus felt?

If RZ is the barometer for the reaction a player feels towards any move then we're deep crap without boots.

Red Leader
08-09-2007, 11:36 AM
If RZ is the barometer for the reaction a player feels towards any move then we're deep crap without boots.

Right, and I'd suggest taking Kremchek off the payroll and adding a shrink. Because we'd need him. Badly.

nate
08-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Maybe.

Maybe not. (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1437714&postcount=61)

Roy Tucker
08-09-2007, 12:10 PM

The Xanax factor does get rather high on a moment's notice.

osuceltic
08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Of course not. This, like everything else, is Wayne's fault.

westofyou
08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
The Xanax factor does get rather high on a moment's notice.

Yep, any transaction can mean the difference between one or two bars.

nate
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Yep, any transaction can mean the difference between one or two bars.

Transactions simply "peak" the meter from constantly being in "the red".

KronoRed
08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, it all makes sense now.

RedsManRick
08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I wonder why Coffey today and Cooter yesterday. Not sure it matters, just find it odd. I guess WK figured Coffey could go longer, could do a better job helping us lose the right way if that was needed yesterday, if you will.

red-in-la
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM

:roll:

Marc D
08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Transactions simply "peak" the meter from constantly being in "the red".

I guess I would ask what else the fans are supposed to focus on when the organization is as bad as the Reds? Winning teams can have topics about upcoming series, playoffs and such, things we simply can't do here. All we have is minor leauge talk and to dissect every move the FO makes.

As with everything else that sucks about being a Reds fan, winning would cure it.

nate
08-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I guess I would ask what else the fans are supposed to focus on when the organization is as bad as the Reds? Winning teams can have topics about upcoming series, playoffs and such, things we simply can't do here. All we have is minor leauge talk and to dissect every move the FO makes.

As with everything else that sucks about being a Reds fan, winning would cure it.

I wasn't commenting on the choice of topics.

I was commenting on the calibration of various people's "freak out" meter.

The dynamic range needs expanding.

savafan
08-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I wasn't commenting on the choice of topics.

I was commenting on the calibration of various people's "freak out" meter.

The dynamic range needs expanding.

Yeah, one should at least build up to a good freak out. Make your first couple posts in the topic seem rational, and then go nuts. :thumbup:

nate
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah, one should at least build up to a good freak out. Make your first couple posts in the topic seem rational, and then go nuts. :thumbup:

Now you're talkin'!

Strikes Out Looking
08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
All this discussion of Coffey reminds me of the thread from late April/early May about Narron's overuse of Coffey. C. Trent asked Narron about it and he said it was bunk. I guess we now know the rest of the story...

Ltlabner
08-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Weren't we told that the announcement today would "make everything apparent".

Would we have been confused if this happened yesterday?

Redsland
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Would we have been confused if this happened yesterday?
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm confused.

:)

Mainspark
08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Rotoworld's take on the demotion:

Reds optioned RHP Todd Coffey to Triple-A Louisville.
The move makes room for Jason Ellison on the roster. Coffey may need a change of scenario at this point, because he pitched well enough over the past two years to deserve a longer leash during this season's struggles.

savafan
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Rotoworld's take on the demotion:

Reds optioned RHP Todd Coffey to Triple-A Louisville.
The move makes room for Jason Ellison on the roster. Coffey may need a change of scenario at this point, because he pitched well enough over the past two years to deserve a longer leash during this season's struggles.

Obviously Rotoworld hasn't been watching Coffey pitch. He's had nothing on his pitches all year long.