PDA

View Full Version : Marty signs three-year contract extension

Mainspark
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini today announced that Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman has signed a 3-year contract extension through the 2010 season.

Brennaman's previous 3-year contract, signed on August 10, 2004, was set to expire after this season.

Brennaman, 65, since 1974 has been the lead voice of the Reds on 700 WLW Radio. The Reds Radio Network is one of the largest in professional sports, with 46 affiliates covering six states and anchored by 50,000-watt WLW.

This season, Brennaman is sharing the broadcast booth with Reds Hall of Famer Joe Nuxhall, Jeff Brantley and his son, Thom Brennaman.

Currently in his 43rd season as a broadcaster, Brennaman received the Ford C. Frick Award on July 23, 2000, in ceremonies at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. The award is presented each year by the Hall of Fame to a broadcaster “for major contributions to the game of baseball.” Brennaman, Red Barber (WSAI, 1934-38) and Russ Hodges (WFBE, 1932) are the only Reds announcers ever to receive the Hall of Fame’s prestigious broadcasting award.

On May 2, 2005 he was inducted into the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Hall of Fame in Salisbury, NC. On November 5, 2005 he was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in Chicago. In 1999 he was inducted into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.

Brennaman has been named Ohio Sportscaster of the Year 13 times, most recently in 2006. He won the Virginia Sportscaster of the Year Award four times while broadcasting basketball games for the American Basketball Association’s Virginia Squires, baseball games for the New York Mets’ Class AAA affiliate in Norfolk and football games for both Virginia Tech and William & Mary.

He also has broadcast games during the NCAA’s men’s basketball tournament, including 15 regional tournaments and 11 Final Fours.

TOBTTReds
08-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Refresh is locked and loaded...ready for comments.

nate
08-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Is he gonna close or be a setup man?

Ron Madden
08-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Joy.

Wish Bob would spend some of that money on things like Players, a GM, or a Manager. ;)

Matt700wlw
08-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Congratulations to Marty!

Tom Servo
08-10-2007, 06:38 PM
World Series here we come!

BuckeyeRedleg
08-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Marty signed to 3-year extension.

Dunn option not picked up.

Watch, it will happen. I'm hanging on by a thread here.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Marty signed to 3-year extension.

Dunn option not picked up.

Watch, it will happen. I'm hanging on by a thread here.

If they don't pick up Dunn's option, it won't because of Marty's contract

fearofpopvol1
08-10-2007, 06:53 PM
While I may be in the minority, I'm certainly happy to see this done.

REDREAD
08-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Oh great.. this is what I feared when his son came on board..

Let's hope the team turns itself around quickly so that radio games are more fun to listen to.

Marc D
08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Marketing to people you think are stupid 101:

Make a lot of noise about announcers, call up propsects that aren't ready for a quick fix and field a team of aging dreck that can hover around .500 because they(fans) are too dumb to keep coming out if we actually tore it down and rebuilt it.

Bob C isn't anymore of an answer than his mentor was. He's just a lot younger and not going anywhere anytime soon.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Marty hasn't earned to decide when he wants to call it a career with the Reds?

I certainly think he has.

RANDY IN INDY
08-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Good for Marty.

RedsBaron
08-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Joy.

Wish Bob would spend some of that money on things like Players, a GM, or a Manager. ;)

Amen. During the off-season last year, the Reds only big move was to sign Thom Brennaman to join his dad in the radio booth. Even if Marty and Thom are absolutely wonderful announcers, building an annoucing team is not exactly the big change that I have been hoping for.

Heath
08-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Good for Marty.

Ditto.

he might be a cranky old guy and he beats dead horses, but no one gets more worked up over a Reds win than Marty.

He has earned it and can retire when ever.

IMO - it is last contract he signs.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Ditto.

IMO - it is last contract he signs.

Wouldn't surprise me...

Mainspark
08-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I think Marty has indicated he would eventually like to move into a situation where he only broadcasts home games, as Vin Scully apparently does, if the Reds would agree to it.
He's also indicated he would have no problem eventually assuming a secondary role to Thom.

KronoRed
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Marty hasn't earned to decide when he wants to call it a career with the Reds?

I certainly think he has.

I don't think anyone in any profession should ever have that right, I think it's silly.

KronoRed
08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
As for this deal big surprise, I don't think Marty will ever retire

remdog
08-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Not only the team needs to be rebuilt but so does the broadcasting team.

I would have hoped that, if Castellini were serious about building a winner and putting his own mark on the Reds storied history he would also change the voice of the Reds. It's time to stop living in the past and wanting the Reds to be The Big Red Machine. That goes for the team, Marty and the fans.

Ought-Eight should have been about a new approach, a new manager and a new face/voice commentating to the fans. It appears that we've already missed the opportunity on one of those three----I'm not encouraged on the other two.

Rem

Matt700wlw
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Not only the team needs to be rebuilt but so does the broadcasting team.

I would have hoped that, if Castellini were serious about building a winner and putting his own mark on the Reds storied history he would also change the voice of the Reds. It's time to stop living in the past and wanting the Reds to be The Big Red Machine. That goes for the team, Marty and the fans.

Ought-Eight should have been about a new approach, a new manager and a new face/voice commentating to the fans. It appears that we've already missed the opportunity on one of those three----I'm not encouraged on the other two.

Rem

Thom and Jeff are new.

If the team is better, the broadcasters reflect it...they don't create the reality, they reflect it.

The team stinks, and they're frustrated just like we are.

remdog
08-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Thom and Jeff are new.

If the team is better, the broadcasters reflect it...they don't create the reality, they reflect it.

I'm sure they are. I understand that but I think that the average fan still considers Marty the 'announcer' for the Reds and the rest of the broadcast team as simply backup. And, truthfully, I think it's been that way since Joe left so it's not all Marty's fault in that regard. But, if you're gonna reshape this team you really need to get Marty out of there because there is no way that Marty will be objective or fail to denigrate the team on the air.

I have Extra Innings and so I get all of my broadcasts of the Reds from TV. I would extend my thoughts on replacing the broadcast team to Welsh and Grand as well. I've heard Thom on the TV from time to time (he's on tonight) and I've not been impressed. I wasn't impressed with him at Arizona either. He's pretty mundane if you ask me and, with all due respect, he doesn't call a game as well as his dad (when his dad bothers to call one anymore).

As for Jeff Brantley I think I've only heard him once or twice so I don't really have an opinion on him.

Rem

Ron Madden
08-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Thom and Jeff are new.

The problem is the broadcasters led by Marty are usualy way off target when they vent thier frustrations.

cincinnati chili
08-10-2007, 11:05 PM

You're not in the minority, or Castellini wouldn't have done this.

Marty frustrates me at times, but he's one of the biggest reasons I became a hardcore Reds fan. Maybe he should attend a grumpiness-management program.

A funny thing about Marty this year is how he turned on Kyle Lohse. It used to drive me crazy last year when he'd do his on-the-air lobbying act for the Reds to bring him back. This year, when he inevitably regressed to the mean, he ripped him mercilessly.

SteelSD
08-10-2007, 11:08 PM

As Ron pretty much noted, Marty Brennaman's announcing is a reflection of the game only as a funhouse mirror distortion of what's really there. At minimum, Brennaman distorts reality to the point of absurdity. At his worst, he calls a game only taking place in his own mind. That's "reality creation" in a nutshell and his infatuation with negatively framing young players runs contrary to the needs of the near-future Reds; who'll need to rely on a good number of young players in order to succeed.

Great move for Marty Brennaman. Poor move for the Reds.

RedsBaron
08-10-2007, 11:14 PM
At minimum, Brennaman distorts reality to the point of absurdity. At his worst, he calls a game only taking place in his own mind. That's "reality creation" in a nutshell and his infatuation with negatively framing young players runs contrary to the needs of the near-future Reds; who'll need to rely on a good number of young players in order to succeed.

Great move for Marty Brennaman. Poor move for the Reds.

I agree. When does football season start?

RFS62
08-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I think Marty's every bit as good at his job as Norris Hopper is at his.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-10-2007, 11:21 PM
If they don't pick up Dunn's option, it won't because of Marty's contract

Matt, I do realize this.

It's just the irony of it all.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-10-2007, 11:27 PM
I also want it to be known that I love Marty. Like many here, I grew up with that voice calling games for my beloved team. I have met Marty and was lucky enough to have a drink with him and talk Reds baseball. He is a great guy and I'm happy he's back for three more years.

I just wish he'd take it easy on some of our guys. That and I don't agree with many of his opinions on things lately. He's still a Hall of Famer and I wouldn't take anything away from him. I am genuinely proud that he's "our" anouncer and only hope we can put all of this losing crap behind us so we can truly enjoy Marty for what he is and that is one of the best in the business (when he's not cranky).

Wheelhouse
08-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Bravo Marty! We got the best announcer in the game for another 3 years at least!

remdog
08-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Bravo Marty! We got the best announcer in the game for another 3 years at least!

You're deluding yourself. And it's not about the time frame.

Rem

Caveat Emperor
08-11-2007, 01:24 AM
You're not in the minority, or Castellini wouldn't have done this.

I agree, but also I wonder if Marty would still be here if Linder was running the show. Its no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out -- Steve Stewart was brought in to be his eventual replacement. I wonder if even Carl would've blinked at getting into a urinating match with Marty.

Oh well -- no win situation for Casty here. Marty is the vox populi for Reds fans. Ditching him would be tough and probably would only create a negative backlash in the fanbase and the media.

WVRedsFan
08-11-2007, 01:41 AM

Me too. As meligned as Marty is, he's Reds on Radio to me. Along with Joe Nuxhall. I'm a lifer.

Ltlabner
08-11-2007, 05:41 AM
I don't think anyone in any profession should ever have that right, I think it's silly.

Wait...you don't think anybody should have the ability to decide when they retire?

Huh? Employees are beholden to the employer to tell them when they are alowed to retire ?

Please tell me I am misunderstanding your statement.

RedsBaron
08-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Oh well -- no win situation for Casty here. Marty is the vox populi for Reds fans. Ditching him would be tough and probably would only create a negative backlash in the fanbase and the media.

Casty may think it is better to have the negative backlash from the fanbase and media directed at Reds players rather than against him. Great. Marty can continue his crusade against any Reds player who hasn't kissed his rear end and who doesn't fit his ideal of a hustling player of limited talent who makes quality outs and knows how to play the game.

RedsBaron
08-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Wait...you don't think anybody should have the ability to decide when they retire?

Huh? Employees are beholden to the employer to tell them when they are alowed to retire ?

Please tell me I am misunderstanding your statement.

Krono is absolutely correct. If you are a professional, and you do not perform up to standards, you do not necessarily get to decide when you retire.
If I start doing a lousy job representing my clients, it will not matter all that much how good a job I did for them back in 1986.

Guacarock
08-11-2007, 07:11 AM
There goes three more years where I won't be tuning into the Reds broadcasts. Oh well. I'm sure I'll find something else to occupy my time.

StillFunkyB
08-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I've said it before, but the only thing that bothers me about Marty is when he starts telling stories that have nothing to do with baseball, or the Reds.

As far as his "grumpiness" goes, I think Marty is just as frustrated with the state of the ballclub as we the fans are. He is just one of those guys that takes it a little to hard sometimes. He happens to be in a position to have millions of fans hearing that frustration. Winning cures a lot, and I really think if this team was closer to the playoffs that Marty wouldn't be griping as bad about some of the little things. One thing I do wish is that he would focus his frustration on some other things rather than Adam Dunn. I mean I would not have a problem if he started in on guys like Gary Majewski. There is no reason that guy should be playing professional baseball, and I would have no problem with Marty venting his frustration on players like that.

deltachi8
08-11-2007, 09:38 AM
There goes three more years where I won't be tuning into the Reds broadcasts. Oh well. I'm sure I'll find something else to occupy my time.

I bought XM last year so I could listen to Reds games without being tied to a computer. I stopped listening early this year having grown tired of the broadcasts (though I still love XM and listen to other teams on a regular basis).

Last night, I tuned in again and the first thing I hear is "The home run is the most over rated stat in baseball" and some refence that the the Padres are in first as evidence of that. (No mention of the superior pitching they have). I flipped the channel and won't be back for a while I am sure.

Ltlabner
08-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Krono is absolutely correct. If you are a professional, and you do not perform up to standards, you do not necessarily get to decide when you retire.
If I start doing a lousy job representing my clients, it will not matter all that much how good a job I did for them back in 1986.

Poppycock.

Sure, the empolyer might not be willing to accomidate an employees wishes for when or the process of how they retire, when they aren't happy with the employees performance. They are under no burden to accomidate him/her. If they say no to a request then the employee has to make some choices.

But to say that no employee in any profession gets a say so in deciding when/how they'd like to quit working? They can decide to quit tomorow (within the limitations of the contract, their financial situation, etc). So what? The employee has to sit around and wait for the employer to say they can stop working now. And to suggest the employee doesn't have the right to even suggest it? Pure crap. As if none of you people have never asked your employers for leeway, a special perk or negotiatied yourself a pay raise. You aren't entitled to what you ask for, but you damn well have the ability to at least ask for it.

Look, people here dispise Marty for a myrid of reasons. I get that. But to say the man has no ability to ask him employer to work out an arragement that is suitable to both of them is petty spite. Pure and simple. Sorry to be so harsh but the Marty hate has run amok.

MWM
08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Who the hell said that?

This just means at least three more years without baseball on the radio. Too bad, I really miss it.

smith288
08-11-2007, 11:06 AM
As for Jeff Brantley I think I've only heard him once or twice so I don't really have an opinion on him.

Brantley has almost put me to sleep when I was driving home from work and he was doing the solo thing. He was dry, he wasnt informative and didnt detail the battery or who was at bat through an entire inning. It was horrible.

RFS62
08-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Poppycock.

Poppycock?

That even sounds like something Marty would say.

Well, then, to your poppycock, I'll throw in a fiddle-faddle.

Marty blasts some Reds players with more sarcasm and venom than any announcer I've ever heard... EVER.

I was only half kidding on a different thread when I suggested that he creates a hostile work environment for certain Reds employees.

He thinks he's the story... Mr. "Tell it like it is".

He reminds me of the announcer in "Angels in the outfield" these days.

VR
08-11-2007, 11:35 AM
^^^

The guy who's organization Marty lambasts nightly gives him a 3 year deal. Nice.

The above comments speak to my thoughts as well. Marty has just been given a free pass to be as negative and snarky as he likes. It seems like he answers to no one.

Unfortunately...Jeff Brantley has jumped off the analysis wagon he came in on and on to the snarkmobile that Marty's drivng.

Hopefully they've given him enough to be a shirt.

remdog
08-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Last night, I tuned in again and the first thing I hear is "The home run is the most over rated stat in baseball"

Once again, Marty is wrong. The most overrated stat in baseball is the one conferred upon certain 'HOF' announcers.

Rem

westofyou
08-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Yep, the only problem is when the Cubs are playing the Reds and there is no TV then it's either Santo or Marty... oh well... that's only a game or two a year I'll be assured of missing.

KronoRed
08-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Ltlabner, you missed what I was saying, I'm not saying Marty has to work for the Reds until they want him gone, I'm saying he (and pretty much everyone else in every profession) should never have the right to tell their employee "you can never fire me, I'll leave when I want"

I heard the same thing said about Barry Larkin, the he earned the right to retire and the Reds were obligated to keep him on the roster until he wanted out, poppycock, at anytime if either side wants the employment over with it should be over with, nobody should be obligated to keep someone else around or to say around.

KronoRed
08-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Thanks RB

WVRedsFan
08-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Poppycock?

That even sounds like something Marty would say.

Well, then, to your poppycock, I'll throw in a fiddle-faddle.

:laugh:
I nearly spit coffee across the room (had to miss the keyboard and monitok, you know). Great line.

In all seriousness, Marty can get on your nerves. But so can other announcers.

Matt700wlw
08-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Ltlabner, you missed what I was saying, I'm not saying Marty has to work for the Reds until they want him gone, I'm saying he (and pretty much everyone else in every profession) should never have the right to tell their employee "you can never fire me, I'll leave when I want"

That's not what is happening...his contract was up at the end of this year, and they extended it. Both sides had to make a decision....the Reds wanted to keep him, and Marty wanted to stay...

There's nothing more to that. If they didn't want him back, they wouldn't have extended his contract, and there wouldn't be anything he could do about it.

There's probably always going to be (barring extenuating circumstances) a new contract available to Marty as long as he wants to keep working - and I think that's the way it should be.

Matt700wlw
08-11-2007, 01:54 PM
I agree, but also I wonder if Marty would still be here if Linder was running the show. Its no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out -- Steve Stewart was brought in to be his eventual replacement. I wonder if even Carl would've blinked at getting into a urinating match with Marty.

I don't recall seeing anything to the effect that Carl wanted Marty out...maybe he did, maybe I missed it (or just don't remember)...highly possible.

They basically pushed Joe out first, but let him do a very, VERY small handful of games.....they didn't win that battle either....Joe's doing more games now under new ownership, but still a small amount...and no travel.

Cutting back his workload has allowed him to stay rested, and he sounds better on the air because of it.

KronoRed
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Never said that was happening Matt.

mth123
08-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Maybe I'm sentimental, but I think it would be a travesty if the Reds canned Marty. He's been the voice of the team for a long time now and is a part of the culture of Cincinnati and the Reds. But....

I personally don't like listening anymore partly because of Marty's bitter tone but more his apparent loss of any love for his job. Marty used to be the best (arguably) and still can call a play in an exciting and informative manner. Though his bitter and one sided criticisms are annoying, I can ignore these if they were all that was wrong. Though I disagree on many topics, Marty isn't always wrong.

I get more turned off by the message he sends that makes it seem like he just doesn't want to be there. He makes it clear that he doesn't like Doubleheaders, he hates slow working pitchers (don't we all), and seems to really dislike extra innings. The message in general isn't "lets enjoy the ball game" as much as "lets get this over with quickly so I can get the heck out of here." I get the sense the he would rather be anywhere other than calling the game and that he's doing us all a favor by doing it. For me, it puts a damper on listening. There always seems to be some undercurrent of resentment in Marty that he actually has to endure the job as opposed to enjoying it all. He seems to be so irritated by actually having to be at the park and announcing the game, I wonder why he would re-up. We criticize players for hanging on simply for the paycheck and that is what it seems that Marty is doing, because I get no sense of joy from him while listening.

As I stated at the beginning of this post, it would be a travesty if Marty were canned, but Marty should probably realize that its time for him to put on a better face or retire with the fanfare that he deserves. Unfortunately for us all who feel this way, he seems to have the ability to call the shots and act like he wants to. It makes listening to the Reds broadcast (which should be the option of choice for a hard core fan IMO) the option of last resort for me. I watch the game with no sound, turn off my AM radio and listen to XM and hope for out of town announcers when the Reds are on the road and then take Marty when no other option exists.

WVRedsFan
08-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I personally don't like listening anymore partly because of Marty's bitter tone but more his apparent loss of any love for his job. Marty used to be the best (arguably) and still can call a play in an exciting and informative manner. Though his bitter and one sided criticisms are annoying, I can ignore these if they were all that was wrong. Though I disagree on many topics, Marty isn't always wrong.

If I had to call the action on this inept bunch for 7 consecutive years, I'd be bitter and not like my job either. In fact, some days I don't even want to discuss the Reds and the pitiful team the ownership (no matter who it is) puts on the field. I'm grouchy and not a good fan these days. I get upset when I'm told we will contend and then see them try to band-aid everything with cheap labor and methods that really make me wonder if they do know more about baseball than I do.

Marty, the fan base, and the press are really tired of all of this. That's the problem.

mth123
08-11-2007, 02:28 PM
If I had to call the action on this inept bunch for 7 consecutive years, I'd be bitter and not like my job either. In fact, some days I don't even want to discuss the Reds and the pitiful team the ownership (no matter who it is) puts on the field. I'm grouchy and not a good fan these days. I get upset when I'm told we will contend and then see them try to band-aid everything with cheap labor and methods that really make me wonder if they do know more about baseball than I do.

Marty, the fan base, and the press are really tired of all of this. That's the problem.

Agreed. But its the announcers job to "entertain and inform" the listeners, not send messages that the team isn't worth the fan's time.

WVRedsFan
08-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Agreed. But its the announcers job to "entertain and inform" the listeners, not send messages that the team isn't worth the fan's time.

I suppose you're right, but I couldn't do it. I'd have to lie to them. If you listen closely, Chris Welsh is disgusted. Thom is disgusted, Brantley is outraged. Even Joe was getting his dingers the other night. You cannot camoflague what is going on in this franchise. It's simply horrible. And everyone, unless they continue to put a paper bag over their heads and put plugs in their ears knows it.

Why sugarcoat it? It is what it is.

mth123
08-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I suppose you're right, but I couldn't do it. I'd have to lie to them. If you listen closely, Chris Welsh is disgusted. Thom is disgusted, Brantley is outraged. Even Joe was getting his dingers the other night. You cannot camoflague what is going on in this franchise. It's simply horrible. And everyone, unless they continue to put a paper bag over their heads and put plugs in their ears knows it.

Why sugarcoat it? It is what it is.

You misunderstand (I'm probably not being clear). I don't mind any of them being disgusted at the team's play (although the targets of his wrath are not always on the mark IMO). I mind the general feeling that Marty is doing us a favor by calling the game for us. If his message was "I want them to play better" that would be ok by me. The message I get is "I don't really want to be here."

redsrule2500
08-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Good, hope he is here for a long time.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2007, 04:01 PM
For those complaining about Marty, have you listened to other broadcasters for other teams not named Scully? Some are better than others, but I can tell you from hearing many broadcasters (both on tv and radio) that the Reds have a pretty superior staff to listen to. Many of those guys are unbearable to listen to.

RedsBaron
08-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Marty was a terrific announcer in his prime, and can still be great when he wants to be.
I wonder if Marty was not spolied by first becoming the Reds announcer in 1974, when the Big Red Machine was about to reach its peak. The Reds of 1975-76 were not merely the greatest team in NL history. They were, at least with regard to the starting eight, almost a fundamentally perfect team. They always took the extra base, they stole bases with an 80% success rate, they worked the count and drew numerous walks, they hit for average and hit for power, they fielded their positions with precision and style (featuring Gold Glovers up the middle), and they hustled with a quartet of leaders who drove everyone else around them.
Marty starting out as the announcer of the Big Red Machine was like a kid being given a Ferrari as his first car at age 16. Everything after that was a letdown.

Heath
08-11-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm wondering in 2009 if the contract reads 'only home games'.

westofyou
08-11-2007, 06:33 PM
For those complaining about Marty, have you listened to other broadcasters for other teams not named Scully? Some are better than others, but I can tell you from hearing many broadcasters (both on tv and radio) that the Reds have a pretty superior staff to listen to. Many of those guys are unbearable to listen to.

Yeah I have, for over 25 years.

Have you?

Ltlabner
08-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Ltlabner, you missed what I was saying, I'm not saying Marty has to work for the Reds until they want him gone, I'm saying he (and pretty much everyone else in every profession) should never have the right to tell their employee "you can never fire me, I'll leave when I want" .

Ok good. As I said in my first post, I hoped I was misundersanding you.

And in my 2nd post responding to....Redsbarron maybe, I agree that an employee can request reduced work hours leading up to retirement or try to negotiate a deal to work a certian amount of years until retiring but that the employer is under no requirement to acquess to that request.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah I have, for over 25 years.

Have you?

Not 25 years, but I've heard enough of the other broadcasters to know that many of them are bad, boring and don't call very interesting games. Whether you like the way many of the Reds broadcasters criticize or not, they call far more interesting games than the average broadcasters.

westofyou
08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Not 25 years, but I've heard enough of the other broadcasters to know that many of that are bad, boring and don't call very interesting games. Whether you like the way many of the Reds broadcasters criticize or not, they call far more interesting games than the average broadcasters.
What's with the plural?

I thought this was about Marty?

A guy who will often let pitches and outs sneak by without mention.

If that's "calling a game" then give me some of those boring guys out there on the airwaves.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
What's with the plural?

I thought this was about Marty?

A guy who will often let pitches and outs sneak by without mention.

If that's "calling a game" then give me some of those boring guys out there on the airwaves.

A mistake maybe?

I'm not trying to convert Marty haters to Marty lovers. I just said after listening to many broadcasts, I think Marty (as well as the other Reds broadcasters) call(s) a much more interesting game than most of the other broadcasters around the league. That's my opinion. Listen to the non-Reds feeds of the games if you want. Makes no difference to me.

Blitz Dorsey
08-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm shocked at the amount of Reds fans who criticize Marty for being critical. He is a Reds fan at heart. Some might call that unprofessional. I love it. Hall of Fame voters agree.

Imagine how some of us would sound if we were being taped while watching our Reds fall apart and/or do stupid things at key moments. Yeah, we would come off as highly critical too in the heat of the moment. Marty doesn't have time to cool down, collect his thoughts and then post them on the internet. He is shooting from the hip, telling us exactly how he feels and that is what makes him great.

Blitz Dorsey
08-12-2007, 08:38 PM

LOL. And I tell you what, if the Reds start signing future Hall of Fame players, I am REALLY going to be upset. Too funny.

That damn Marty. How dare he rip a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since 1995. He is clueless.

Blitz Dorsey
08-12-2007, 08:40 PM

It's no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out?

Wait... what?

Are we just making stuff up now? Stewart was brought here because the incompetent John Allen thought Joe was washed up.

Please provide links, quotes, or anything else to prove this ridiculous comment that you made.

Blitz Dorsey
08-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Marty was a terrific announcer in his prime, and can still be great when he wants to be.
I wonder if Marty was not spolied by first becoming the Reds announcer in 1974, when the Big Red Machine was about to reach its peak. The Reds of 1975-76 were not merely the greatest team in NL history. They were, at least with regard to the starting eight, almost a fundamentally perfect team. They always took the extra base, they stole bases with an 80% success rate, they worked the count and drew numerous walks, they hit for average and hit for power, they fielded their positions with precision and style (featuring Gold Glovers up the middle), and they hustled with a quartet of leaders who drove everyone else around them.
Marty starting out as the announcer of the Big Red Machine was like a kid being given a Ferrari as his first car at age 16. Everything after that was a letdown.

Good post.

Blitz Dorsey
08-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Who the hell said that?

This just means at least three more years without baseball on the radio. Too bad, I really miss it.

Hey, you can always look forward to that big OSU-UM game each November.

Whoops. Nevermind.

Caveat Emperor
08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
It's no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out?

Wait... what?

Are we just making stuff up now? Stewart was brought here because the incompetent John Allen thought Joe was washed up.

Please provide links, quotes, or anything else to prove this ridiculous comment that you made.

Its my understanding, talking with several people who had their finger on the pulse of things a couple of years back, that Steve Stewart was brought to the Reds radio team initially as Joe's replacement, to get him some exposure with the fans. The thinking was that once the fans got used to Steve, they would push him over to the regular PBP chair and bring someone else in (presumably an ex-Red) to do color.

That was my information -- you can choose to believe it, or not. Linder and Allen didn't appreciate the disloyalty to the product that Marty showed -- especially some of the direct criticism to the ownership that occurred on game and non-game broadcasts. For that matter, Linder and Allen were usually pretty grumpy about 700 WLW's "candor" regarding the product, though thats nothing new for sports owners in this town.

Its quite irrelevant, at this point, though.

deltachi8
08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Hall of Fame voters agree.

Marty is not IN the baseball hall of fame.

RedsManRick
08-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I wonder, aside from his tenure, what makes Marty worthy of the accolades he receives? Does he turn a phrase particularly well? Does ht have great insight? Maybe I don't just see his genius, but I've never been particularly impressed. What am I missing?

remdog
08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I wonder, aside from his tenure, what makes Marty worthy of the accolades he receives? Does he turn a phrase particularly well? Does ht have great insight? Maybe I don't just see his genius, but I've never been particularly impressed. What am I missing?

Personally, I've always liked the tenor of his voice. He's got what they call 'great pipes', to me at least. And, when he sticks to the game he gives an accurate description of the action on the field that you can easily follow. He repeats the score, current outs, men on base, pitch count and so on enough that you know what's going on without it becoming overly repetative. He can fill in with enough biographical information as to give some insite to the player without having to know he has six toes on his left foot. He describes the action away from the play (like the bullpen or dugout) when it's relevant. He modulates his voice well---he can be very pleasant to listen to.

The above was Marty in the '70's and maybe the '80's. Somewhere though he decided golf jokes, tomato plants, the bannana phone and asides to his buddies were more important than calling the game. He turned mean and vicious and decided he was the voice of reason in the night that was the only true vision. He decided he was the show and the game was a sidelight. Other than that....

Rem

mth123
08-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Personally, I've always liked the tenor of his voice. He's got what they call 'great pipes', to me at least. And, when he sticks to the game he gives an accurate description of the action on the field that you can easily follow. He repeats the score, current outs, men on base, pitch count and so on enough that you know what's going on without it becoming overly repetative. He can fill in with enough biographical information as to give some insite to the player without having to know he has six toes on his left foot. He describes the action away from the play (like the bullpen or dugout) when it's relevant. He modulates his voice well---he can be very pleasant to listen to.

The above was Marty in the '70's and maybe the '80's. Somewhere though he decided golf jokes, tomato plants, the bannana phone and asides to his buddies were more important than calling the game. He turned mean and vicious and decided he was the voice of reason in the night that was the only true vision. He decided he was the show and the game was a sidelight. Other than that....

Rem

Good post and right on the mark.

Blitz Dorsey
08-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Marty is not IN the baseball hall of fame.

Did you minor or major in semantics?

KronoRed
08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey, you can always look forward to that big OSU-UM game each November.

Whoops. Nevermind.

And this has what to do with the Reds?

Cedric
08-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Congrats Marty. Best man in the business, IMO.

TeamBoone
08-12-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm shocked at the amount of Reds fans who criticize Marty for being critical.

IMHO, most (including myself) do not have a problem with Marty being critical... it's Marty often being wrong and dispelling misinformation that most take issue with.

He also has a tendency to consistently rag on players he dislikes and to highly praise those he likes, whether or not either is warranted.

In addition, he brings his personal vendettas to the microphone, one that comes to mind right away is Jim Bowden... even when Jim Bowden isn't mentioned.

And he's made it clear on many occasions that he doesn't understand some of the finer points of baseball. After all these years, he really should. And until he does, perhaps he shouldn't comment at all.

All things combined, he's become harder and harder to enjoy, which is why I don't even bother unless there's no alternative. Oh yes, he can still call a great game when he feels like it, but apparently he isn't moved to do that much anymore.

His negatives far outweigh his postives.

deltachi8
08-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Did you minor or major in semantics?

Just tellin' like it is. Thats what the folks want, right?

Cedric
08-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Just tellin' like it is. Thats what the folks want, right?

Fans don't want to hear about OPS for six innings. The casual fan loves Marty and rightfully so. They have a better perspective on the GAME than the 24/7 Redszone poster.

Patrick Bateman
08-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Fans don't want to hear about OPS for six innings. The casual fan loves Marty and rightfully so. They have a better perspective on the GAME than the 24/7 Redszone poster.

That's all fine, but it's when Marty says things like Hopper is better than Dunn (as an example) that just show a lack of knowledge.

He doesn't need to yap about stats for the entire game, but it would be nice if Marty had a better grasp on the game so that he could give more informed opinions.

SteelSD
08-13-2007, 12:39 AM

Not after listening to Marty Brennaman. Most of the time what the "casual fan" gets is a misrepresentation of reality.

That is, when Marty actually talks about the game...

Caveat Emperor
08-13-2007, 01:48 AM

You don't have to give me a Calculus lesson, but at the same time, don't go trying to pass off 2+2 as being 5 either.

BRM
08-13-2007, 09:45 AM
If Marty is being negative because the Reds have stunk for 7 years, why doesn't he rail on the real reasons for it? He can't possibly believe Adam Dunn and Edwin Encarnacion are the primary reasons the Reds have been bad for the last 7 years.

I know the answer to that question so I guess it's a rhetorical one. He can't hammer the front office mercilessly like he does the players because then he'd really be on the hot seat. Being overly critical of the front offices for putting together such crummy pitching staffs probably wouldn't be a wise career move. It's easier and safer to rip the player's when they strikeout.

Roy Tucker
08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I was at the ballgame on Friday night when they announced Marty's extension.

I was a little surprised by the lack of enthusiasm. There was a general round of applause and cheer, a few people stood and clapped, but I certainly wouldn't have called it rousing. More like lukewarm.

registerthis
08-13-2007, 11:14 AM

I was a little surprised by the lack of enthusiasm. There was a general round of applause and cheer, a few people stood and clapped, but I certainly wouldn't have called it rousing. More like lukewarm.

I thought Marty would have brainwashed them all by now.

Unassisted
08-13-2007, 11:38 AM

When I was at Saturday's game, given the announcement of Marty's extension, I noticed something ironic. One of the changeable ads next to the scoreboard was stuck between an ad for WLW that said "Brennamania" in huge letters and an ad for a temporary employment agency. Both ads were readable and visible.

RedsManRick
08-13-2007, 12:21 PM
You don't have to give me a Calculus lesson, but at the same time, don't go trying to pass off 2+2 as being 5 either.

:beerme:

The casual fan would enjoy hearing about how productive a player Adam Dunn is instead of what a drag he is on our offense. You don't have to consistently disparage one of the team's best players, while lauding some of it's worst (Hopper, Castro) to please the casual fans.

If Marty decided that strikeouts weren't the worst thing in the world, the casual fan wouldn't lash out in disagreement. He has the opportunity to educate while he entertains and is instead slipping in to sports talk radio quality analysis.

IMHO, Marty needs an analyst who can do the big scale stuff. A guy like Brantley, or Joe Morgan, is great for the "what the player is thinking" sort of commentary. But we could use somebody who can provide reasonable big picture analysis; an ex-player usually is not good for this type of macro thinking. That vacuum instead gets filled by Marty's cynicism and Brantley's ego.