PDA

View Full Version : "We're close" thinking is hurting this team...

Matt700wlw
08-10-2007, 06:56 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070810/COL03/708100344/1062/SPT

TOBTTReds
08-10-2007, 06:58 PM
nm

pahster
08-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Is...is he advocating playing Hopper over Dunn?

RedsManRick
08-10-2007, 07:16 PM
He's getting there.

The Reds' future, should they choose to accept it, showed itself some Thursday. Norris Hopper doesn't get on base enough to lead off, but he had three hits and runs like the wind. Batting behind him, Jeff Keppinger showed he could control the bat. The pair rattled Dodgers reliever Joe Beimel sufficiently, he balked home Hopper in the seventh, to give the Reds a 4-3 lead. Phil Dumatrait survived a wobbly start to pitch six credible innings.

This is how you win games consistently. Not with lots of home runs. Credit Hopper and Keppinger with covering lots of ground in center and left field, too.

No Paul, relying on things like that is how you lose games consistently and win games occasionally. You win games consistently by getting on base and getting extra base hits on offense and preventing the opposition from doing the same.

Guys who've taken the audition and need to sit some or be traded: Stanton, Santos, Adam Dunn, Jeff Conine and Scott Hatteberg.

Guys who need to play: Hopper, Keppinger, Coutlangus, Dumatrait, Bobby Livingston and Votto

Who does Hopper play over? How about Kepp? Couter should be here over Stanton, no doubt. Votto should be here as Hatteberg and Conine get traded. Bobby Livington and Phil Dumatrait are simply younger versions of Santos. They should be here in his stead because they're cheaper -- not because they're any better. And Dunn..... forget it. Still clueless.

GAC
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Is...is he advocating playing Hopper over Dunn?

Don't know; but this, from the article stood out to me...

Guys who've taken the audition and need to sit some or be traded: Stanton, Santos, Adam Dunn, Jeff Conine and Scott Hatteberg.

It's easy for PD to make statements like this - in reference to trading them - he's not the one having to try and find the right deal and work that trade. What would he do if the return being offered is pretty dismal, or teams don't want guys like Stanton, Santos, or Conine?

edabbs44
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Good for him...glad someone had the testicular fortitude to say something.

Unassisted
08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I prefer to think that the private face of the club isn't saying "We're close." The public face says that to sell tickets. If the public face were to say "We'll get 'em next year," the average fan would reply "We'll see you next year."

missionhockey21
08-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Ah yes, the logic with trading your consistent #1 or #2 in runs created every year, who is as old as time itself at age 27 to play a Norris Hopper. That right there folks is quality baseball writing. Votto should be called up to play 1st and Keppinger should get sufficient time wherever they can find room for him, as long as it isn't at the expense of Encarnacion.

If this was 60 years ago, I would fear for Dunn literally being ran out of town on a rail.

redsmetz
08-10-2007, 07:53 PM
It's mind boggling that he can believe Dunn is something to just be discarded. I think Hopper and Keppinger are valuable pieces on this team; fabulous players to have on your bench, but they're not going to have the impact Adam Dunn can have. This place has become so dysfunctional.

dougdirt
08-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I find it funny that he says Hopper doesn't get on base enough to bat leadoff, almost as if he understands OBP is a very good thing.... then says Dunn needs to go, which I don't exactly have a problem with given the right circumstances, but he frames it around Hopper needing to play.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Dunn is 27

Hopper is 28

Just sayin' :D

flyer85
08-10-2007, 08:59 PM
the reason it hurts is because it is light years from the truth.

westofyou
08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
1997 - 2007

Norris Hopper and John Nunnley

Chris Stynes and Jeff Keppinger

Ray Knight and Jerry Narron

Jack McKeon and Pete McCackin

RedsBaron
08-10-2007, 09:25 PM
What an incredible piece of horsecrap that column was. Is the broadcast and print media in cincinnati made up of nothing but morons?
Adam Dunn is not a perfect player, and I expect he will decline rapidly once he gets into his thirties, but the idea that the key to winning is to discard him and play Hopper is so stupid that I am at a loss for words. How stupid can you be and still get paid to write such garbage?

flyer85
08-10-2007, 09:27 PM
How stupid can you be and still get paid to write such garbage?ask Marty

RedsBaron
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
What's going on with the board? I noticed that I had failed to capitalize Cincinnati in the prior post, but everytime I try to correct it I'm told I am not logged in.

KronoRed
08-10-2007, 09:31 PM
the reason it hurts is because it is light years from the truth.

Yep, but don't expect these writers to say that.

More junk from the beat writers.

remdog
08-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Daugherty gets paid to write opinions. Unfortunately, his opinions are about sports---primarily Cincinnati sports---which he knows nothing about.

One thing most realistic Reds fans agree on (whether they're a stats guy or a tradisionalist) is that Adam Dunn is better than Norris Hopper. It's simple, it's easy, it shouldn't even be discussed in the same state. So how does this drivel get written or broadcast? Frankly, I'm at a loss to come up with any reasoning for this yet people are getting paid money for this kind of crap. (Shakes his head in frustration.)

Hey, I'm a Norris Hopper fan. I like his speed, his defense. I like that he pretty much knows his own abilities and doesn't usually try to do more than he has the ability to do. And, mostly I like that he's a backup outfielder on the Reds.

Rem

M2
08-10-2007, 10:51 PM
While I disagree with some of the particulars, this is the best line Daugherty's written in a long time: "Today's optimism is tomorrow's 78-84."

On that point he's absolutely right.

RedsBaron
08-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I've always thought that Cincinnati had a reputation as a good baseball town, a place where the fans were knowledgable about the game. I realize that St. Louis has the reputation as being a quality baseball city, but Cincinnati was right there for having a fan base that knows the game.
Why oh why does Cincinnati have such a group of utter absolute morons in the print and broadcast media? I swear that I would like to see Marty, Paul & Co. be given a ballteam to run. It would soon be full of scrappy veterans who "know how to play the game" and who hustle their way to a sub-.300 on base percentage but make quality outs.