PDA

View Full Version : little league regional

37red
08-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Did anyone watch the little league regional tonight? West Side Hamilton, where Joe Nuxhall and I grew up(no connection), won the game and the trip to Williamsport Pa for a shot at the world series! I think watching the little league series is more exciting than pro ball. It's sort of like watching college basketball over the Pros. When you get down to the finals the teams are really intense, you should watch them next week if you haven't before.

smith288
08-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Some of those kids are just too good. Technically sound and shows me I have mucho work to train my son for him to compete at such a high level.

37red
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
The Hamilton team wont have a card to play when they meet Japan or Puerto Rico, those teams always come in with the most impressive defense imaginable. I'm all for Hamilton, being that I grew up there, and I like little league play other than the parents, but some of these teams are amazing. You're right they're really good, and any of our kids would have a tough time reaching their level of play...., watch the series, it's really fun to.

camisadelgolf
08-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Is it safe to assume that T.J. and Tim Nichting are both related to former Red Chris Nichting?

dabvu2498
08-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Is it safe to assume that T.J. and Tim Nichting are both related to former Red Chris Nichting?

There's a distant relationship there. That's actually somewhat of a common name in the Hamilton area.

Ray Nichting, Tim's father, TJ's grandfather, was my barber when I was in high school up until about 5 years ago when he retired. He coached the West Side Little League All Stars when they made the LLWS twice back in the early 90s.

There have been several Nichtings who have played baseball at Badin HS in the past few years. All of them pretty solid. Maybe even one or two D1 caliber players.

37red
08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
You're right, Nichting is a common name on the West side. There was a bar or restaurant over there.... called Nichtings. I can't remember where it was but you rang a bell.

dabvu2498
08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
You're right, Nichting is a common name on the West side. There was a bar or restaurant over there.... called Nichtings. I can't remember where it was but you rang a bell.

Nichting's Supper Club. It was actually on the East Side, where Heaton Street runs off of Rt. 4. It's no longer in business, but part of the building is still there.

37red
08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Ahhh yes, drove by there many a night cruising in my 1961 Chevrolet convertible. Route 4, Frisch's, Carters and back to Main street to the other Frisch's. Of course gas was only a quarter a gallon and the likes of Johnny Bench, Lee May, Tony Perez, Vada Pinson, Rose and Maloney were on the radio, WLW.

Reds Fanatic
08-16-2007, 10:08 PM
The Hamilton team are scheduled to be on ESPN 3 times in the next 4 days. They have games scheduled at 2 PM Friday, 8 PM Saturday and 3 PM Monday.

DiamondRat
08-16-2007, 10:31 PM
OMG!, Nichting's Supper Club had the best steaks ever! However they were not related to the WSLL Nichtings. Carters was also a favorite and I think their burgers were better than Frisch's.

MWM
08-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Wow. I was doing some reading on this team curious to see if I recognized any of the names, being a native of the area. One of the coaches, Kenny Coomer, played on my club team when I was 17 years old. I played for the Fairfield Chiefs at the time and he was the center fielder. He was a slap hitting lefty with loads of speed. He only played with us the one year, but I recognized his picture immediately. Apparently he has a kid on the team.

37red
08-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Well MWM, games on at two today. They seem to have only one really good pitcher and time will tell if he can hold up for that many games in only a few days. Hopefully they have a back up to carry them through when he runs out of gas. The Fairfield Chiefs weren't the Fairfield Indians, the high school?

dabvu2498
08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Wow. I was doing some reading on this team curious to see if I recognized any of the names, being a native of the area. One of the coaches, Kenny Coomer, played on my club team when I was 17 years old. I played for the Fairfield Chiefs at the time and he was the center fielder. He was a slap hitting lefty with loads of speed. He only played with us the one year, but I recognized his picture immediately. Apparently he has a kid on the team.

Nice article about Kenny Coomer in the Middletown paper the other day. He actually doesn't have a kid on the team.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/08/14/hjn081407coomer.html

37red
08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
fun pictures

MWM
08-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Well MWM, games on at two today. They seem to have only one really good pitcher and time will tell if he can hold up for that many games in only a few days. Hopefully they have a back up to carry them through when he runs out of gas. The Fairfield Chiefs weren't the Fairfield Indians, the high school?

Yes, that was the High School, but FF also had a club team that played in the summer. When I played, the 16 year old team was the Warriors, the 17 year olds the Tribe, and the 18 year olds the Chiefs, but they changed them all to the Chiefs a couple of years after I left. The team was mostly guys from FF and Hamilton (the ones who didn't go play for Midland), with the occassional player from Oxford or other local towns. I think Hamilton has their own club team now, so I doubt may go play for the Chiefs.

MWM
08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Nice article about Kenny Coomer in the Middletown paper the other day. He actually doesn't have a kid on the team.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/08/14/hjn081407coomer.html

I just assumed considering he was coaching. It was a good article. He was always a really nice guy. His dad was one of the assistant coaches on the team we played on together.

camisadelgolf
08-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I saw a thing on ESPN about how baseball chatter (i.e. "Hey, batter, batter, batter!", "We want a pitcher . . .", etc.) is against the rules in Greater Cincinnati, and the kids from Greater Cincinnati were talking about how they liked the rules because the game was more fun, and they wanted to win by using sportsmanship. Then, they interviewed Little League kids from Chattanooga, and all the kids said they felt sorry for the Greater Cincinnati kids because chatter makes the game more fun. It was kind of interesting.

bucksfan2
08-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I used to love the LLWS but nowdays I look at it differently. From the Almonte scandal to these kids throwing curve ball after curve ball I wonder if the coach is in it for his sake or the sake of the kids playing. As for anything with kids its a shame when adults take something that used to be pure and manipulate it for their own sakes. I am not saying that all coaches are like this, and heck none of them may be, but it is a bias I have developed.

camisadelgolf
08-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm watching the Ohio/Massachusetts game on ESPN right now. So far, they look pretty evenly matched.

37red
08-17-2007, 03:35 PM
They do look good. Nichting is pretty sharp isn't he. And the left fielder could help out Dunn a little. Back to the game.

dougdirt
08-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I saw a thing on ESPN about how baseball chatter (i.e. "Hey, batter, batter, batter!", "We want a pitcher . . .", etc.) is against the rules in Greater Cincinnati, and the kids from Greater Cincinnati were talking about how they liked the rules because the game was more fun, and they wanted to win by using sportsmanship. Then, they interviewed Little League kids from Chattanooga, and all the kids said they felt sorry for the Greater Cincinnati kids because chatter makes the game more fun. It was kind of interesting.

You know they were told to say that. Every kid likes talking a little trash to the other team.
While we are here though, knothole>little league.

37red
08-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I haven't heard chatter in a long time. In our little league games here no one ever did it, I'd forgotten about it all together.

camisadelgolf
08-17-2007, 03:50 PM
They do look good. Nichting is pretty sharp isn't he. And the left fielder could help out Dunn a little. Back to the game.

Nichting's swing was one of the prettiest I've ever seen. If he were bigger, I'd be calling him the next Mark Teixeira.;)

dabvu2498
08-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Score?

dabvu2498
08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Ray Nichting, Tim's father, TJ's grandfather, was my barber when I was in high school up until about 5 years ago when he retired. He coached the West Side Little League All Stars when they made the LLWS twice back in the early 90s.

Decent article about my man Ray that ran in the paper yesterday:

By Pete Conrad

Staff Writer

Thursday, August 16, 2007

HAMILTON — More than 50 years ago, Ray Nichting's baseball career was over, it seemed.

This was going to be a sad story, it seemed, a young man who had been drafted by the Boston Braves, with two minor-league seasons under his belt, who had then fought in the Korean War and came home with a Bronze Star, a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts and one leg.

As things turned out, that was the start of a good story, one which still rings loud throughout a West Side Little League program making its third appearance in the Little League World Series.

Nichting became a teacher on the diamond and managed the Hamilton West Side All-Stars to their first two World Series berths in 1991 and '93. Today his legacy continues to surge forward through his son, Tim, who manages the team, and his grandson, T.J., who has hit seven home runs in state and regional play.

Ray Nichting's career reached its peak in the early '90s when he already had become a grandfather and managed like it — a very wise, sometimes stern grandfather.

"If you did something wrong, he definitely let you know," said Phillip Bell, a player on West Side's 1993 team. "And he taught me a lot."

Ray and Tim, who assisted his father as a coach for the '91 and '93 All-Stars, were a packaged set back then.

"I still think they're the best coaches who ever coached me," said Danny Brandner ('93 All-Stars), "and they're really good people who know what they're talking about. They've changed the lives of a lot of people, put them on the right path."

"They're both incredibly knowledgeable about the game," said Brady Webb ('93 All-Stars). "They were very demanding, but at the same time you didn't care because they made you so much better."

"Those are the best two coaches I've had in my life, I can say that for sure," said Jason Zimmerer ('91 All-Stars). "I learned more from them than from any other coach."

http://www.oxfordpress.com/hp/content/oh/story/sports/2007/08/16/hjn081607littleleaguepast1.html

The article doesn't mention that Ray bowled several 300 games on his one good leg and also gave the best hair cuts, along with baseball commentary, in Butler County.

37red
08-17-2007, 04:10 PM
dabvu... the score is Hamilton-1, MA-0. Why didn't they call that passed ball an error?

dabvu2498
08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
dabvu... the score is Hamilton-1, MA-0. Why didn't they call that passed ball an error?

Wish I could tell ya. Wish I had a TV where I am.

Reds Fanatic
08-17-2007, 05:29 PM
I just looked it up and Hamilton lost this afternoon's game 3-2.

37red
08-17-2007, 05:29 PM
What a game! Great opening game of the series. Really too bad Hamilton lost but wow what a great game that was.

Razor Shines
08-18-2007, 07:38 PM
They should start paying those umpires.

smith288
08-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Hamilton trounced Georgia today...

37red
08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
They sure did. Pitching was good and the bats came alive. One thing that happened is that the other team fell a part defensively, lots of errors by the pitcher. Todays game will be a better match, I hope they got some sleep.

I seriously didn't like the manager, Nichting, from Hamilton. He has a bad attitude to be leading a little league team. BUT, the kids are great and the emotion runs high, I love watching them play...., all the teams. It's good ball.

37red
08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Does anyone have game time? And it seems that I have a hard time finding a good bracket and solid information on who moves on and who doesn't.

BoydsOfSummer
08-19-2007, 03:54 PM
It's nice to have a real baseball team to root for in this area.

Reds Fanatic
08-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have game time? And it seems that I have a hard time finding a good bracket and solid information on who moves on and who doesn't.
Hamilton's next game is 3 PM Monday on ESPN. This page shows all the scores and standings. All 4 teams in Hamilton's bracket are 1-1 so if Hamilton wins tomorrow I believe they will advance to the US semifinals.

http://www.littleleague.org/series/2007divisions/llbb/series.htm

37red
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
You're absolutely right Boyd! I think it'll be a good game to. They need a win. Thanks for the info Reds Fanatic.

Eric_Davis
08-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Oregon will beat Hamilton on Monday.

George Anderson
08-19-2007, 07:38 PM
They should start paying those umpires.

How bad was it??

37red
08-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Eric, I know we can't bet on games here but I'll buy you a Braught(sp) if Oregon wins. The West Side Hamilton team is primed to score big time. I doubt they'll beat Mexico or Japan, but they'll beat Oregon. And where is Kitty on this thread? I'd figure she'd be weighing in with support.

Eric, you're on, but I think WS Hamilton will put more runs on the board.

smith288
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Tx looks tough... Amazing how mature these kids are. Im going with bovine growth hormone in milk. :D

37red
08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, they look big, self confident and way more mature than one would expect from 12 year olds. I would guess that agents are there looking to sign them after the series. The US teams will fight it out and then it will be a WORLD series. Watch some of these teams from around the world and it will amaze you.

37red
08-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Still, one braught on the table for anyone from around the Zone thinking their team will beat Hamilton.

camisadelgolf
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Hamilton will easily defeat Oregon. It's spelled 'brat', by the way.

37red
08-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I knew I had it spelled wrong but my spell check didn't know how to spell it either. "Brat", I'll try to remember that.

Reds Fanatic
08-20-2007, 04:35 PM
The Little League World Series games were all rained out today so the Hamilton team will now play Tuesday at 3.

37red
08-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Eric_Davis, you got a break. Now you have plenty of time to get us all Brats from the store. All of the pitchers will be rested and the offense blasting balls all over the park.

westofyou
08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
My Parents live in Lake Oswego... go Lakers! (or whatever they call themselves)

37red
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Lake Oswego has a good team, it should be a good game. Brats for all.

37red
08-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I think I owe a few Brats out there in Oregon.

Matt700wlw
08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
6-1 Final.

Hamilton comes home.

Congrats to those kids for even getting that far...quite an accomplishment.

RANDY IN INDY
08-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Looks like they were short some pitching and really didn't hit the ball against very average pitching, today. Regardless, those boys should be really proud. Very few teams make it that far and their memories will last a lifetime. I really liked the Nichting kid. He looks like he will be a real good player down the road.

The team from Texas is the team to beat.

Eric_Davis
08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Anyone could have won that game. When you get this far, they're all good.

Congratulations to all the kids who participate.

We have this really lame sports radio station, called TheFan1080. The head guy had the nerve to say publicly on TV Sunday night that he hates the Little League World Series. He's a moron about everything else, so it goes in line with what he usually says.

The memories these kids get from the playoffs leading up to the World Series and then the World Series itself is priceless.

37red
08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Even when the parents seem over the edge the kids are great to watch. The skill, effort and emotions are a treat to see. To those that haven't I recommend you tune in this week for a game. Eric and West of you, where do I send the Brats?

Eric_Davis
08-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Take someone to a REDS game for me.

There's hope on the horizon. If Bray can stay healthy and reach his potential and Burton continues to pitch well. We'll have to watch Bailey take his lumps next year, but that's OK. If Belisle, or Livingston, or Ramirez can improve next year, we might get a solid #4 out of one of them.

We still need a #3 and a couple of more relief pitchers, but....

WVPacman
08-22-2007, 01:05 AM
I have watched the little league on espn since I was a little kid.Even thow im older I still get excited just like I did when I was little.Its just amazing to watch those kids play and watch just how great all these kids are.

oregonred
08-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Lake O and Hamilton... Demographically it's almost hard to believe they are actually in the same country

Spoiled Rich Kids 6
Blue Collar Kids 1