PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton activated

Degenerate39
08-12-2007, 11:40 AM
From Trent - Josh Hamilton has been activated by the Reds and Mark Bellhorn is designated for assignment.

Muggerd
08-12-2007, 11:47 AM
lol i cant make threads or i would have posted this like a hour ago :(

KeyMastur
08-12-2007, 12:36 PM
lol i cant make threads or i would have posted this like a hour ago :(
i would have posted this more than an hour ago :)

Screwball
08-12-2007, 12:45 PM
i would have posted this more than an hour ago :)

:laugh:

When did you know? Last night?

KeyMastur
08-12-2007, 12:46 PM
:laugh:

When did you know? Last night?

maybe... :cool:

Chi-Town Red
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
glad to see him back....

Homer Bailey
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Thank God... this team is actually watcheable again.

redraiders
08-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Finally...

Blue
08-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Thank God... this team is actually watcheable again.

Not so fast. Just because he is back from the DL doesn't mean he gets to replace "Chuck" Norris "The Force" Hopper in the starting lineup. Or even Jason Ellison for that matter.

Screwball
08-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Not so fast. Just because he is back from the DL doesn't mean he gets to replace "Chuck" Norris "The Force" Hopper in the starting lineup. Or even Jason Ellison for that matter.

Moves like this make the "Win now" talk absolutely laughable. To sit a guy who is arguably the best player on the team for, IMO, no good reason in favor of Ellison and Hopper (who have a .569 and .715 OPS, respectively) makes me want to :bang: until the cows come home.

AmarilloRed
08-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I would like to see Mackanin defend putting Ellison and Hopper in the starting lineup ahead of Hamilton. I suppose it was possible he did not think Hamilton was ready today.

Blue
08-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I would like to see Mackanin defend putting Ellison and Hopper in the starting lineup ahead of Hamilton. I suppose it was possible he did not think Hamilton was ready today.

He couldn't face the pregame interview with Marty if he didn't start "Chuck" Norris "The Force" Hopper.

Boston Red
08-12-2007, 11:07 PM
How on earth could you justify benching Hopper right now? He's hit in all of his August appearances and is 19-43 during that stretch. Let's have Hopper cool off a bit before we replace him with anyone. Ellison, on the other hand....

AmarilloRed
08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
I like Hopper, but he should never be more than a bench player. He hits for a good average but does not walk, so he has a low OBP. He has absolutely no power. He is a good player, but he is a better bench player. However, we can discuss Norris in my new thread.

Screwball
08-13-2007, 12:45 AM
How on earth could you justify benching Hopper right now?

Because Josh Hamilton is head and shoulders better than Norris Hopper. He gets on base more often, and hits for A LOT more power, while providing a rifle arm from the outfield.

I like Norris Hopper just as much as the next guy, but not to the extent that he's taking away ABs from Josh Hamilton.

Boston Red
08-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Hamilton is head and shoulders above Hopper, it's true. But he's not likely to do better than 19-43. Until Hopper cools off (which he inevitably will), he's got to play.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-13-2007, 09:52 AM
How was that not a triple for Hamilton, when Dunns flub was easier and not called an error?

AmarilloRed
08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Hopper is ok to give your regular outfielders a day of rest. He should be starting under those circumstances. He is also ok to pinch- hit for a regular outfielder. You might make a case he should be starting regularly if he had an OBP of .400, but it is around .320. It is that 19-43 that possibly raised Hopper from a fifth outfielder to a fourth outfielder

Degenerate39
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Hamilton is head and shoulders above Hopper, it's true. But he's not likely to do better than 19-43. Until Hopper cools off (which he inevitably will), he's got to play.

Hamilton is more than head and shoulders above Hopper. Hamilton can field, throw, hit for power but Hopper can bunt and field.

GoReds33
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I like Hamilton more. I would love to see Hamilton and Hopper as a platoon.

REDSEER
08-14-2007, 07:49 PM
We always seem to find ourselves in these outfield "problems," which are great problems to have. As for Hopper/Hamilton, I have always been one who thinks that it's best to play the hot hand, which Hopper currently has. Not that we shouldn't play Josh, it's just that I don't think that it makes sense to bench a player that has given the team 2 or 3 hits per game for the last few games....

GoReds33
08-15-2007, 12:31 AM
We always seem to find ourselves in these outfield "problems," which are great problems to have. As for Hopper/Hamilton, I have always been one who thinks that it's best to play the hot hand, which Hopper currently has. Not that we shouldn't play Josh, it's just that I don't think that it makes sense to bench a player that has given the team 2 or 3 hits per game for the last few games....
I agree 100%. As I always say, you can never have too much young talent.

AmarilloRed
08-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Hamilton went 3 for 5 tonight, so I suppose he is the hot hand now. Therefore Hopper sits.

Boston Red
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Hamilton went 3 for 5 tonight, so I suppose he is the hot hand now. Therefore Hopper sits.

Fair enough, but Hopper went 3-5 the previous two games. Not a bad problem to have...too many outfielders swinging hot bats.

REDSEER
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
So what happens in tonight's game? Mackanin said it himself that he wanted to get Hopper in the game last night.....which means that he WILL be in the lineup tonight. We are facing Lilly tonight, a lefty, so who sits? My money's on Dunn, who's 2 for his last 18. It's a complicated situation, do you sit the hot bat or your big sluggers?

Muggerd
08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Id sit dunn against all lefties

GoReds33
08-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Id sit dunn against all lefties
If they would have done that last year he would have hit like .220. He had a pretty good year against lefties last year. I would sit him tonight though.:)

Muggerd
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
If they would have done that last year he would have hit like .220. He had a pretty good year against lefties last year. I would sit him tonight though.:)

Its also hard to sit a guy with his power in a park like Wrigley

AmarilloRed
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM

He hit .234 overall last year. I don't know what he hit against lefties, but he must have done really bad against righties if he had a good year vs. lefties.

AmarilloRed
08-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Hopper is starting over Hamilton again tonight. I suppose our manager will keep starting Hopper until he proves he is the fourth outfielder we all know he is . Hopper is hot now, but that is no reason to bench starting outfielders like Hamilton. Is there something I'm missing? Is Mackanin putting them in a platoon because Hamilton is bad against left or right-handed pitching. I will check. Okay,Lilly is a left-hander. Hamilton is hitting .239 against left-handers and Hopper is hitting .319 vs. left-handers. I suppose it makes sense to start Hopper against left-handed pitching until Hamilton show he can hit it. Still if Hamilton does not start against LHP, how can he improve against it?

Boston Red
08-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Perhaps they're just trying not to wear Hamilton out right as he comes back from an injury, and as a bonus you get to replace him with a guy hitting .442 for the month.

Muggerd
08-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Hopper is starting over Hamilton againtonight. I suppose our manager will keep starting Hopper until he proves he is the fourth outfielder we all know he is . Hopper is hot now, but that is no reason to bench starting outfielders like Hamilton. Is there something I'm missing? Is Mackanin putting them in a platoon because Hamilton is bad against left or right-handed pitching. I will check. Okay,Lilly is a left-hander. Hamilton is hitting .239 against left-handers and Hopper is hitting .319 vs. left-handers. I suppose it makes sense to start Hopper against left-handed pitching until Hamilton show he can hit it. Still if Hamilton does not start against LHP, how can he improve against it?

Dunn should be sitting if you ask me. Hamilton has the better BA OBP but has less slugging (-.022) than Dunn. If the choice is Hamilton Dunn or Hopper against lefties it has to be Hamilton and Hopper right now id imagine.

AmarilloRed
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I think it is a wash; Dunn hits .219 with .371 SLG against LHP and Hamilton hits .239 with a .319 slg. Neither of them can hit LHP, Hopper will not give you any power but at least he can hit LHP. I don't blame the manager for starting him, and I don't want Hopper starting.

Muggerd
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I think it is a wash; Dunn hits .219 with .371 SLG against LHP and Hamilton hits .239 with a .319 slg. Neither of them can hit LHP, Hopper will not give you any power but at least he can hit LHP. I don't blame the manager for starting him, and I don't want Hopper starting.

Yea its a wash but i just think Hamilton is over all a little better against lefties. Though Hamilton does K a lot against them so who knows. All i know is that i really doubt many runs being scored tonight for the reds unless Phillips carries them.

GoReds44
08-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I think we all need to bow our heads and thank God for letting us have such a special player like Josh Hamilton:D

Muggerd
08-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I think we all need to bow our heads and thank God for letting us have such a special player like Josh Hamilton:D

jesus

Jefferson24
08-16-2007, 12:35 AM
he's going to be the answer we've been looking for. playoffs next year!!!

jfleur87
08-16-2007, 12:46 AM
who knows, but i couldn't believe how far that ball went off his bat when it looked like he was just trying to protect the plate

mroby85
08-16-2007, 12:47 AM
that was a shot, i was just hopin it was a gapper basing on the way the swing looked, but it had some distance on it.

Muggerd
08-16-2007, 12:48 AM
who knows, but i couldn't believe how far that ball went off his bat when it looked like he was just trying to protect the plate

yea his power is just silly some times. Id hate to see him actually hit a ball hard and pull one. Thing would land in the drink down in cincy on a fly probably.

AmarilloRed
08-16-2007, 01:02 AM
I would think it would be a good idea to start Hamilton the rest of the year in center field unless he needs a day off. He looks like he is doing just fine.

GoReds33
08-16-2007, 03:01 AM
I would think it would be a good idea to start Hamilton the rest of the year in center field unless he needs a day off. He looks like he is doing just fine.I agree. The only factor is that he hasn't played a full season in 5 years. He may be like Adam Dunn usually is when September rolls around. I hope not.

Boston Red
08-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Until Norris Hopper goes back to being Norris Hopper (i.e. - stops hitting over .400 for the month), you can make that outfield into a four-way platoon for three spots. Again, it's a great problem to have right now.