PDA

View Full Version : Homer update (yes, he still exists)

Matt700wlw
08-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Tomorrow, RHP Homer Bailey is going to Sarasota to begin a throwing program.

dougdirt
08-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Tomorrow, RHP Homer Bailey is going to Sarasota to begin a throwing program.

Good to hear. Thanks Matt :thumbup:

bucksfan2
08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Its weird how the organization is taking this problem so serious when earlier he had a groin problem and he missed about 10 days. It makes me believe that this was a lingering problem and it has effected his pitching quite significantly.

KronoRed
08-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't expect to see him back here this year

KoryMac5
08-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I would imagine they want him to work on some other things as well, while in Sarasota.

Highlifeman21
08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
I would imagine they want him to work on some other things as well, while in Sarasota.

Control/command and developing pitches other than his fastball immediately come to mind.

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't expect to see him back here this year

I do..

I think he stays in in Sarasota for a week or so... then heads to Louisville and make 2-3 starts and once Louisville's season ends gets called up here.

mbgrayson
08-13-2007, 03:08 PM
From today's Under the Knife column at Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6583):

"Homer Bailey (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pecota/BAILEY19860503A.php) is in Florida at the Reds complex, rehabbing his groin strain. Word from sources is that he is extremely unlikely to come up before September roster expansion." ...

KronoRed
08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
There is no reason to call him back up, we all saw he wasn't ready and I doubt 6 weeks will change that, let him focus on making the team out of ST next year

dougdirt
08-13-2007, 04:57 PM
There is no reason to call him back up, we all saw he wasn't ready and I doubt 6 weeks will change that, let him focus on making the team out of ST next year

What we saw was a guy with a hurt groin throwing. I am not saying he was ready, but I am fairly sure he was better than what he showed given a healthy groin muscle.

mth123
08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm not thrilled about him coming back up in September, but Bailey's primary task for 2007 was to get his workload stretched out. Right now it looks doubtful that he'll even reach his 140 or so innings from 2006 w/o a few September starts.

I'd bring him back for that reason, but I'd be very careful.

GAC
08-14-2007, 09:39 AM
What we saw was a guy with a hurt groin throwing. I am not saying he was ready, but I am fairly sure he was better than what he showed given a healthy groin muscle.

But he didn't strain his groin until later till right before he was sent back down, right? - while stepping off the mound I heard. In other words, the groin was not the reason for his previously poor showings because he hadn't hurt it yet. Maybe I'm wrong though.

dougdirt
08-14-2007, 09:59 AM
But he didn't strain his groin until later till right before he was sent back down, right? - while stepping off the mound I heard. In other words, the groin was not the reason for his previously poor showings because he hadn't hurt it yet. Maybe I'm wrong though.

He hurt his groin in May. He then went on the DL with a hurt groin again 3 weeks ago. He also said he was pitching through a hurt groin but he began to feel it in his arm and thats when the Reds shut him down.

RedLegSuperStar
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
What's the difference pitching in Single A, Triple A, or the Major League when the team is out of contention?

I try to get him back up here in September and try to get big league hitters out. If he can't do that then the Reds have an idea what the have going into next season and perhaps get a starter or two in the off-season.