PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez placed on Bereavement List/Bellhorn recalled

Danny Serafini
08-14-2007, 03:14 PM
He stayed behind with his son according to the team press notes. He hasn't been placed on bereavement yet, but it sounds like he'll be gone a little while again.

11larkin11
08-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Sad to hear again.

My vote for a callup goes to Aaron Herr.

NJReds
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Very sad to hear. It's got to be just heartbreaking to play while all this is going on.

acredsfan
08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I hope everything works out for him. It's good to see he is putting his kids first on his priority list. In a lost season with young guys who can be called up, it wouldn't be a big deal if he decides to take the rest of the year off. I know we are paying him to fulfill his contract, but some things are more improtant in life.

HotCorner
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Who's the backup SS? Phillips?

redsmetz
08-14-2007, 04:02 PM

Keppinger would fill in for Gonzalez. If he goes back on bereavement, they'll most likely call up a shortstop, don't you think?

cincrazy
08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
If I'm the Reds, I tell Alex to take the rest of the year off and to take care of what's important. Even if we were in the heat of the pennant race, the man needs to be with his family

HumnHilghtFreel
08-14-2007, 04:03 PM

I'm assuming Keppinger will be getting an extended look again.

I hope Gonzo takes the rest of the year off to be with his family. Going back and forth all the time can't be easy.

Roy Tucker
08-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I'd like to see them tell Gonzalez to take off the rest of the season as well. Primarily to be there for his wife, son, and family but also because its been fairly obvious his head hasn't been all here this season. Can't blame the guy, it's a very tough situation.

They'll probably try Keppinger at SS but I don't think he has the arm or range to be an everyday SS. He can fill in and not embarrass himself, but by no means is he a playmaker.

Is Pedro Lopez close to being recovered yet? After going on the DL, I haven't hear anything about his recovery. Like many positions, the Reds are organizationally thin at SS.

Mostly, I'd like to see what Phillips can do on an everyday basis. This season has sold me on Phillips belonging in the bigs. I thought last year might have been a fluke, but I think this year has shown he's the real deal.

dfs
08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Humanitarian, Janitarion...forget that! They're in "win now" mode baby!!

Bring up Anderson Machado!

HotCorner
08-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Keppinger would fill in for Gonzalez. If he goes back on bereavement, they'll most likely call up a shortstop, don't you think?

I know Keppinger would become the starting SS. I was just wondering who would be the backup SS tonight in the event a player was not recalled from the minors.

RedLegSuperStar
08-14-2007, 04:54 PM
I know Keppinger would become the starting SS. I was just wondering who would be the backup SS tonight in the event a player was not recalled from the minors.

Jorge Cantu?

He has done nothing but hit since joining Louisville. .333 (69 AB's) 1 HR 10 RBI's

He has cut his K's down and its shown with the average going from .244 all the way to .283

redsmetz
08-14-2007, 04:56 PM

I would guess that if Keppinger went down tonight, Phillips would slide over and Hopper would go to 2nd. Both Hopper and Encarnacion have played a very small handful of games at shortstop, but Phillips would probably be the best bet.

Edit: I forgot about Cantu, he would be a possibility too.

Caveat Emperor
08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
If I'm the Reds, I tell Alex to take the rest of the year off and to take care of what's important. Even if we were in the heat of the pennant race, the man needs to be with his family

Given the amount of time that Alex has spent with his family this year, I'd imagine thats exactly what the Reds have told him.

RedLegSuperStar
08-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Given the amount of time that Alex has spent with his family this year, I'd imagine thats exactly what the Reds have told him.

Agreed

Big Klu
08-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Mark Bellhorn was designated for assignment--can they rescind that and reactivate him? (I doubt it, but I just wondered what the rules are regarding DFA.)

RedLegSuperStar
08-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Mark Bellhorn was designated for assignment--can they rescind that and reactivate him? (I doubt it, but I just wondered what the rules are regarding DFA.)

They could recall him from Louisville as he accepted the outright assignment today.

LawFive
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Bellhorn accepted his outright assignment to Louisville. I beleive the Reds could "purchase" his contract again, but they'd have to make space on the 40 for him.

RedLegSuperStar
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Fay -

Alex Gonzalez left the team to be with his son, Johan, who is ill again. Gonzalez went home to Miami before the team left for Chicago.

No roster move yet.

"We don't know yet if we'll make one," Pete Mackanin said. "It's a touchy situation."

If Gonzalez goes on the bereavement list, it's for at least three days. The Reds would most likely make a move if Gonzalez is going to return in time for tomorrow's game. Jorge Cantu's Reds debut, perhaps?

Matt700wlw
08-14-2007, 07:25 PM
If I were Gonzo, I'd tell the Reds that he isn't available for the rest of the season.

Taking care of his son is much more important.

bucksfan
08-14-2007, 07:35 PM
If I were Gonzo, I'd tell the Reds that he isn't available for the rest of the season.

Taking care of his son is much more important.

That certainly seems the way to go. I cannot imagine anyone having a problem with that decision.

GAC
08-14-2007, 09:37 PM

I fully agree with that sentiment. This team is out of it, can give younger players like Keppinger, and maybe even Lopez, playing time. My prayers out to the Gonzalez family during this very difficult time.

MartyFan
08-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Jorge Cantu?

He has done nothing but hit since joining Louisville. .333 (69 AB's) 1 HR 10 RBI's

He has cut his K's down and its shown with the average going from .244 all the way to .283

What about bringing Cantu up...moving Phillips to SS and putting Keppinger at 2B?

Seems to me that would be a pretty wicked IF...I mean, hitting wise, who knows what sort of defense we would surrender...oh wait, I'm in Redszone...somebody will be able to tell me that in 3 - 2 - 1...

KronoRed
08-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Cantu is really a 1B, we could use some middle infield depth that can play SS

BRM
08-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Cantu is really a 1B, we could use some middle infield depth that can play SS

He has played a few games at 2B in Louisville as well.

bucksfan2
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
What about bringing Cantu up...moving Phillips to SS and putting Keppinger at 2B?

Seems to me that would be a pretty wicked IF...I mean, hitting wise, who knows what sort of defense we would surrender...oh wait, I'm in Redszone...somebody will be able to tell me that in 3 - 2 - 1...

Because Phillips isn't a SS, plain and simple. I like Keppinger at SS. He isn't flashy but he just gets the job done. Its hard to keep his bat out of the lineup as well.

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Because Phillips isn't a SS, plain and simple. I like Keppinger at SS. He isn't flashy but he just gets the job done. Its hard to keep his bat out of the lineup as well.

Brandon can play SS.. but why move him over when he is playing Gold Glove at 2nd?

You bring Cantu up to give you depth at pretty much all infield positions.

BRM
08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
You bring Cantu up to give you depth at pretty much all infield positions.

Everything I've read says he is a below average defender all over the diamond. Hopefully he's just a replacement for Conine when he comes up.

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Fay -

No word yet on Alex Gonzalez.

But given the circumstances of the Reds and how difficult this must be for Gonzalez, it makes sense that they put him on the bereavement or restricted list and tell him to stay with the child as long as necessary.

The club probably needs to take an extended look at Jeff Keppinger anyway, but, more importantly, Gonzalez needs to be with him family.

Heath
08-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd agree that Gonzo needs to stay at home.

However, I can understand if he wants to play. I'm sure playing baseball might be therapeutic to him.

KronoRed
08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Everything I've read says he is a below average defender all over the diamond.

That doesn't really matter to the Reds, their ideas for what makes good D are a mystery

BRM
08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
That doesn't really matter to the Reds, their ideas for what makes good D are a mystery

So true. I still can't imagine they see him as an option at SS. They can't be that silly.

Danny Serafini
08-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Gonzalez is now back on bereavement, Bellhorn returns to Cincinnati per team press notes.

Joseph
08-15-2007, 03:32 PM

I think they view good D as fielding most things that are hit to them as opposed to taking away hits or anything.

MartyFan
08-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Ok, then keep Phillips at 2B, Keppinger at SS...leave Cantu at AAA and find some middle IF help to bring in.

Ravenlord
08-15-2007, 03:54 PM
He has played a few games at 2B in Louisville as well.

if he played them like he did in Tampa Bay, the Reds (defensively) would be just as well sticking Norris Hopper there.

Ravenlord
08-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Because Phillips isn't a SS, plain and simple.outside of his time in the bigs, he's always played short. in Cleveland he was blocked by Vizquel.

redsmetz
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Apparently the Reds have moved Gonzalez back to the bereavement list and recalled Bellhorn, moving Castro to the 60 day DL. He can be on this list for a maximum of seven days (and I assume they count from today). Last time when he was extended, he was placed on the restricted list.

Caveat Emperor
08-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I think they view good D as fielding most things that are hit to them as opposed to taking away hits or anything.

They're so fixated on the idea of "making the routine play" that they've lost sight of what types of plays SHOULD be routine for most defenders.

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Grrr.. Bellhorn I highly doubt will be here next year.. let him stay in AAA and see what you have with Cantu. Or heck.. bring up Votto and have him play 1st and make Conine 5th outfielder/pinch hitter.

Sure Cantu won't get as many at bats as he would down in AAA.. but at least we can get a longer look at him other than the month of September..

redsmetz
08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Grrr.. Bellhorn I highly doubt will be here next year.. let him stay in AAA and see what you have with Cantu. Or heck.. bring up Votto and have him play 1st and make Conine 5th outfielder/pinch hitter.

Sure Cantu won't get as many at bats as he would down in AAA.. but at least we can get a longer look at him other than the month of September..

I think they're better served seeing Cantu in some extended playing time at AAA. I think Bellhorn is similar to Moeller and Ricky Stone; guys they have been able to move up and down and, especially, on and off the 40 man roster, and they've accepted returning to AAA with us. It's given us some considerably roster flexibility throughout the season, frankly. Not critical cogs, but kept us from having to make drastic roster moves as people came up hurt, etc.