PDA

View Full Version : Offerman charges mound, hits two with bat

westofyou
08-15-2007, 11:23 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7123188_36_1.jpg

Bridgeport Bluefish catcher John Nathans, right, struggles with Jose Offerman as he goes after pitcher Matt Beech with a bat.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7124110

Offerman charges mound, hits two with bat

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) - Former All-Star Jose Offerman was arrested Tuesday night after charging the mound and hitting the pitcher and catcher with his bat during an independent minor league game.

Bridgeport police said Offerman was arrested, but did not detail the charge. Police said he posted bond.

Offerman, playing for the Long Island Ducks in the Atlantic League, homered in the first inning. The next inning, he was hit by a pitch from Bridgeport's Matt Beech and charged the mound with his bat.

Offerman hit Beech in the hands and struck catcher John Nathans in the head.

The game was delayed for about 20 minutes because of the melee. Offerman, Beech and Bridgeport manager and former major league pitcher Tommy John were all ejected.

There was no immediate update on the condition of Beech or Nathans.

Offerman batted .273 during his 15 seasons in the majors. He last played in the majors in 2005 with Philadelphia and the New York Mets. He was an All-Star in 1995 with the Dodgers and 1999 with Boston.

MrCinatit
08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Matt Beech? The Matt Beech? The same Matt Beech we had in our organization for a memorable month in '04 - at that time a mere six years after his last professional appearance? Wow!
And, I see Offerman is with the Ducks. Is this the same Ducks with the one and only Danny Graves? Double wow!

cumberlandreds
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
So the fans went to a baseball game and a WWF match broke out?

dabvu2498
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
And, I see Offerman is with the Ducks. Is this the same Ducks with the one and only Danny Graves? Double wow!

And Peter Edward Rose, Jr.

Roy Tucker
08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Lots of familiar names, Reds and otherwise...

http://www.liducks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=roster

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2007, 12:04 PM
"These actions are sure to turn the team around!"

redsfan30
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
:eek:

George Anderson
08-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Lots of familiar names, Reds and otherwise...

http://www.liducks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=roster

I saw Pete Jr. is on the team coached by Bud Harrelson. Wonder if they have had any scraps around the second base bag. :)

BTW I thought Pete Jr. was serving time in prison. He must have received a short sentence.

Benihana
08-15-2007, 12:34 PM
he should go to jail for a year. according to published reports, he took three full swings. that is almost attempted murder

Johnny Footstool
08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Those are the biggest hits Offerman has had since 2003.

(Sound of crickets.)

Is this thing on?

BCubb2003
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Channeling Juan Marichal.

HotCorner
08-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Yowzer!

registerthis
08-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Graves, Lance Davis, Joe Valentine, Ed Yarnall

The ex-Reds talent on display is overwhelming. To say the least.

15fan
08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
John Riedling also shows up in the pitching stats.

Carl Everett at DH. Edgardo Alfonzo at Short.

10 years ago, that would have been a pretty sweet team.

Razor Shines
08-15-2007, 02:33 PM

(Sound of crickets.)

Is this thing on?

Something that wasn't reported was that the Bridgeport manager was also hit in the leg by Offerman. As a result he's going to have Tommy John surgery on his knee.

Hello?

smith288
08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
You use any type of equipment when you charge the mound then you deserve a harsh penalty

cumberlandreds
08-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Something that wasn't reported was that the Bridgeport manager was also hit in the leg by Offerman. As a result he's going to have Tommy John surgery on his knee.

Hello?

As punishment they should make Offerman have Tommy John surgery and let Tommy John be the surgeon. :)

Team Clark
08-15-2007, 04:12 PM

(Sound of crickets.)

Is this thing on?

It is... I read that and screamed laughing. Thank you!!! Much appreciated.

wheels
08-15-2007, 04:47 PM

(Sound of crickets.)

Is this thing on?

:laugh::laugh:

You're so much more fun to be around when you're not whining about your playing time.

redsfan30
08-15-2007, 04:50 PM
If this doesn't warrant a lifetime ban from baseball.....

15fan
08-15-2007, 05:18 PM
If this doesn't warrant a lifetime ban from baseball.....

On the contrary. I say let him keep playing.

Plenty of catchers out there will be quite happy to call for nothing but high & tight fastballs when Offerman steps into the box.

And plenty of pitchers will be happy to oblige.

I know I would.

cincrazy
08-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure if I'd even attempt to protect myself if Offerman was swinging wildly away at me. Judging from his history, he's 85% likely to swing and miss while swinging at his target, and if he does connect, he's even more unlikely to hit with any force. So, Jose Offerman, I say to you, "Hit me with your best shot!! Fire away!!!" :)

Eric_Davis
08-16-2007, 02:39 AM
I've often wondered why it hasn't happened more often. (cause it's dirty, I know, but a lot of guys react in ways that are dirty)Throwing a baseball at a guy with a bat in his hand only 60 feet away and all you have is a glove?

Eric_Davis
08-16-2007, 02:41 AM
On the contrary. I say let him keep playing.

Plenty of catchers out there will be quite happy to call for nothing but high & tight fastballs when Offerman steps into the box.

And plenty of pitchers will be happy to oblige.

I know I would.

and he can accidentally let go of the bat as he swings as it hurls back towards the pitcher.

mbgrayson
08-16-2007, 02:47 AM
he should go to jail for a year. according to published reports, he took three full swings. that is almost attempted murder

I suppose so...but what about the pitcher who threw at him with a hardball? Isn't that a weapon too? Look at the damage done to Pedro Lopez's face with a pitch (that wasn't intentional). Throwing at hitters is wrong too; Maybe deemed accetable to some, but to me, its not much better.