PDA

View Full Version : Conine cleared waivers; Hatteberg claimed and withdrawn

Cyclone792
08-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but if already has, then mods feel free to move this topic or lock it up altogether.

From a Jayson Stark blurb off ESPN ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2976815

Waiver rumblings

July may be in our rearview mirror, but the hunt for bodies to trade for goes on -- not real successfully, but it goes on nonetheless. "We've been watching the waiver wire with bated interest," said an executive of one team. "But nobody is letting any pitching worth a [hoot] get through." As always, we've been trying to maintain a list of players who have made it through waivers this month -- and those who haven't. Since hundreds of players have hit the waiver wire, we're confining this extremely partial list to players whose names were filling up Rumor Central before the trade deadline:

Pitchers who have cleared: Steve Trachsel, Jose Contreras, Josh Towers, Odalis Perez.

Position players who have cleared: Troy Glaus, Jack Wilson, Pat Burrell, Dmitri Young, Omar Vizquel, Jeff Conine, Mike Piazza, Wily Mo Pena, Jason Lane.

Pitchers who were claimed and withdrawn: Jon Garland, Javier Vazquez, Dan Wheeler, Chad Qualls, David Riske, Kei Igawa, Matt Thornton.

Position players who were claimed and withdrawn: Miguel Tejada, Mark Loretta, Jacque Jones, Scott Hatteberg, Richie Sexson, Mike Lamb, Corey Patterson.

None of this is shocking as I expected Conine to clear waivers and for Hatteberg to be withdrawn, but I guess now we know it's official. Krivsky still has two weeks now to unload Conine, which hopefully finally happens. Not only would it be nice to get some sort of warm body in exchange for Conine, but it'd hopefully open up the door to get Votto up in Cincinnati for some big league plate appearances this season.

Kc61
08-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Two questions:

1. What good does it do to get a "warm body?" Do the Reds have a shortage of replacement level minor leaguers? If you can't get a decent prospect, don't move the guy.

2. How is moving Conine going to help Votto get playing time? Votto is a lefty, he certainly isn't going to hit against lefties in the Conine platoon spot. Maybe if Conine goes Cantu gets a shot. But it wouldn't seem to have much to do with Votto.

redsmetz
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Two questions:

1. What good does it do to get a "warm body?" Do the Reds have a shortage of replacement level minor leaguers? If you can't get a decent prospect, don't move the guy.

2. How is moving Conine going to help Votto get playing time? Votto is a lefty, he certainly isn't going to hit against lefties in the Conine platoon spot. Maybe if Conine goes Cantu gets a shot. But it wouldn't seem to have much to do with Votto.

I think it's the fact that Conine most likely is going to retire at season's end. Likewise, it's doubtful he's in the Reds' plans next year. If they were to trade Conine now, I think I've changed my mind on Votto necessarily coming up if that happens. Probably as a September call up, but I think otherwise, we can file the void elsewhere. But that's not my main point.

If we can turn Conine into some type of decent prospect, then that adds to the system's depth.

KronoRed
08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't see Votto getting any sort of callup this season, that being odd because you would think the Reds would want to see what he's got before making a decision on Hat in the off season, perhaps they have already decided to exercise Hats option and get rid of Votto :dunno:

Color be eh on moving Conine so Cantu can come up.

toledodan
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
unless votto can play eveyday there is no reason to bring him up untill september when louisville's season is over. bring him up then to get his feet wet and cantu as well.

BRM
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the plan is for Hatteberg to be the 1B at the start of next season with Votto starting out in AAA again.

redsmetz
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't see Votto getting any sort of callup this season, that being odd because you would think the Reds would want to see what he's got before making a decision on Hat in the off season, perhaps they have already decided to exercise Hats option and get rid of Votto :dunno:

Color be eh on moving Conine so Cantu can come up.

That's a heckuva leap - I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds exercise Hatteberg's option and have him off the bench, spelling Votto from time to time and pinch hitting. I think it's doubtful they would resign Hatteberg to get rid of Votto. That would be utter foolishness. No one has ever suggested that Hatteberg was anything but a caretaker for the position these last two years.

KronoRed
08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
With both Hat and Votto being lefties I can't imagine how they would split time at 1st.

Matt700wlw
08-16-2007, 03:20 PM
With both Hat and Votto being lefties I can't imagine how they would split time at 1st.

Well, they're trying to get Votto to be a left-fielder, why not make him a switch hitter?

:p:

KronoRed
08-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Well, they're trying to get Votto to be a left-fielder, why not make him a switch hitter?

:p:

Why not? lets have Bruce do the same :clap:

Cyclone792
08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Two questions:

If Conine retires at the end of this season, he has zero value to the Reds next season. Even a fringe prospect has some chance greater than zero to reach the major league level. Find some fringe prospect who plays some nice defense somewhere and knows how to take a few walks, and who knows, perhaps that guy could develop into a viable bench player. Anything is better than Conine retiring at this point.

Secondly, if Joey Votto is the first baseman of the future and comes up (which he needs to), then he needs to be hitting against every type of big league pitching this season. Sitting Votto against left-handers this season is as dumb as sitting Josh Hamilton against left-handers this season, but then again this is the Reds we're talking about and Josh Hamilton sat last night against a southpaw so ...

BRM
08-16-2007, 03:31 PM
C'mon, Cyclone. You know the Reds can't run rookies like Hamilton and Votto out there against lefties because they have a division to win.

Marc D
08-16-2007, 03:36 PM
So am I reading this right in that Hatteberg may have had some value and could have been traded before the July 31 deadline?

RedLegSuperStar
08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
If Conine retires at the end of this season, he has zero value to the Reds next season. Even a fringe prospect has some chance greater than zero to reach the major league level. Find some fringe prospect who plays some nice defense somewhere and knows how to take a few walks, and who knows, perhaps that guy could develop into a viable bench player. Anything is better than Conine retiring at this point.

Secondly, if Joey Votto is the first baseman of the future and comes up (which he needs to), then he needs to be hitting against every type of big league pitching this season. Sitting Votto against left-handers this season is as dumb as sitting Josh Hamilton against left-handers this season, but then again this is the Reds we're talking about and Josh Hamilton sat last night against a southpaw so ...

I agree. Votto has proven himself down in AAA and scouts and media are shocked he is still down there. That says something about him. If they can deal Conine for a A-AA prospect that is huge.. considering one of the rumors was him going to the Cubs for Jacque Jones and a prospect. If i'm the Reds I stick Votto at 1st perminatly and then have Hatteberg get spot starts when Votto needs a day off. Votto could get a few starts in LF as well when Dunn needs a breather. Votto whether it be now or September needs to be up here to see what route the Reds take in the offseason. If anything it will bring a few prospect loving fans to the ballpark like myself... but mostly to see what this 23 year has to offer now and in the future for the organization.

IslandRed
08-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Reading the list, someone actually put in a claim for Richie Sexson, giving the Mariners a chance to dump nearly $20 million of dead weight (counting the remainder of this year and next year's $15+ million) on someone else, and they didn't take it? I realize they're in a playoff chase, but they could have given us a sack of baseballs for Conine and come out even.

redsmetz
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM

I didn't suggest they platoon. If Votto's ready coming out of spring, then he starts. Hatteberg spells him and pinch hits. We've all gotten so used to suggestions of a platoon at first when Votto comes up, but I'd see it differently.

RedLegSuperStar
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't suggest they platoon. If Votto's ready coming out of spring, then he starts. Hatteberg spells him and pinch hits. We've all gotten so used to suggestions of a platoon at first when Votto comes up, but I'd see it differently.

And to be honest with you.. hasn't Hatteberg taking on that roll already with Conine getting majority of the starts?

flyer85
08-16-2007, 03:51 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the plan is for Hatteberg to be the 1B at the start of next season with Votto starting out in AAA again.said that awhile back, they were not looking to get rid of Hatty, they expect him to be the 1B next year.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Does this mean Stanton is staying?

schroomytunes
08-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Call me crazy but I would be willing to make these moves now!

1) Make a deal with Toronto for Josh Towers, he's still young and he could be our 5th starter, and it wouldn't take much to get him.

2) Release Stanton, he's basically useless to us, bring up Salmon to take his spot in the bullpen.

3) Demote Dumatrait and bring back Belisle.

flyer85
08-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Does this mean Stanton is staying?was there ever any doubt. Stanton will go only if WK goes.

RedLegSuperStar
08-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Call me crazy but I would be willing to make these moves now!

1) Make a deal with Toronto for Josh Towers, he's still young and he could be our 5th starter, and it wouldn't take much to get him.

2) Release Stanton, he's basically useless to us, bring up Salmon to take his spot in the bullpen.

3) Demote Dumatrait and bring back Belisle.

I'd like to get Towers.. I just think he's going to land with Colorado. Salmon and Belisle will both be up here next month. Stanton on the other hand is what he is.. releasing him would cost the team a pretty penny and I'm not sure they want to do that. Dumatrait is no different then Belisle in my opinion. Both are long relievers at best.

Unassisted
08-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Does this mean you think Stanton falls into the category of "pitching that's worth a hoot," which the article says isn't clearing waivers? :)

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Wayne Krivsky stinks. I don't like the way he's handled the 1B position. Votto should have been up a while ago, IMO.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2007, 09:13 PM
FYI, the Stanton comment was a joke.

I don't mind them keeping Hatteberg. The guy is not expensive and could prove to be a good mentor for Votto. I think they should trade Conine and bring Votto up anyway. Have Votto hit against righties and even if the splits aren't as favorable, have Hatte hit against lefties.

Cedric
08-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Wayne Krivsky stinks. I don't like the way he's handled the 1B position. Votto should have been up a while ago, IMO.

Bad body odor? I met him at Redsfest and he did have a little bad breath going on.

redsmetz
08-17-2007, 06:42 AM

In a perfect world perhaps, but then again, I think part of changing the Reds culture is seeing that players are properly, and fully, prepared to make the jump to the big leagues. We all knew going in that a Hatteberg/Conine platoon was merely caretaking until Votto is prepared.

Votto has been making progress with this full year at AAA, as he did last year with the season at Chattanooga. I think ultimately, we're a better ball club with him mastering each level; particularly in a lost season such as this. I understand the thought that it's lost, so why not see what the kid can do, but building confidence and adding to his skills at level commensurate with his age doesn't hurt either. The previous model for the Reds, rushing kids, jumping from AA, has clearly not worked.

I really can't say that WK has mishandled the first base situation to any great degree.

KronoRed
08-17-2007, 02:36 PM

How can the bullpen possibly function without him? :beerme: