PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano off the market

Joseph
08-17-2007, 09:53 AM
In about 20 minutes the Cubs will announce Zambrano has signed a 5 year 90 million dollar deal to stay in Chi-town.

RedsManRick
08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
In this market, that is a great deal for a team that is capable of absorbing that level of risk. Big Z probably would've gotten 20+ per in FA. Zambrano is 1 month older than Phil Dumatrait and 3 years younger than Barry Zito.

BRM
08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
It's getting play on the internet now. This is from Rotoworld.

ESPNews reports that Carlos Zambrano and the Cubs have agreed to a five-year contract extension worth $90 million.

The Cubs have reportedly called a press conference for a "major" announcement. Locking Zambrano up for under $100 million would be a coup for the Cubs considering the money Barry Zito and lesser pitchers have signed for in the past year.

TOBTTReds
08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't mind him staying in Chicago. The Reds seem to handle him well with the exception of one game this year. He is also so combustible, you never know what he is going to do.

oneupper
08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Too bad. (Good for Chicago, that is).

Zambrano is a HORSE. You dream of a rotation with Harang and Z in it.
Bullpen? We don't need no friggin' Bullpen!

TOBTTReds
08-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Too bad. (Good for Chicago, that is).

Zambrano is a HORSE. You dream of a rotation with Harang and Z in it.
Bullpen? We don't need no friggin' Bullpen!

Or just Scott Sullivan...he could throw 3 times every 5 days to help the other guys.

Imagine that...4 starters, 1 bullpen

20 position players.

NJReds
08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=txcubszambrano&prov=st&type=lgns)

Report: Zambrano agrees to five-year, $90 million deal with Cubs
August 17, 2007

CHICAGO (TICKER) -- Carlos Zambrano is set to sign a five-year, $90 million contract to remain with the Chicago Cubs, according to Chicago radio station ESPN 1000.

Although the Cubs did not confirm the report, the team has scheduled a news conference for 11:15 a.m. EDT to make "a major announcement."

A two-time All-Star and Chicago's ace, Zambrano would have become a free agent at the end of this season. The Cubs failed to reach an agreement on a new contract with the 26-year-old this past offseason, and negotiations stalled considerably once the season started.

But the Cubs apparently are ready to make a long-term financial commitment to Zambrano, who would have been the top free-agent starter available this coming winter.

Known for his blazing fastball and fiery personality, Zambrano is 14-9 with a 3.86 ERA in 26 starts this season. The Venezuelan righthander owns a career record of 78-51 with a 3.37 ERA in parts of seven seasons - all with the Cubs.

RedsManRick
08-17-2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61617

nate
08-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Or just Scott Sullivan...he could throw 3 times every 5 days to help the other guys.

Imagine that...4 starters, 1 bullpen

20 position players.

Let the jokes about 3 (or more) catchers begin!

KronoRed
08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Good, I think he's part of the curse now :)

WVRedsFan
08-17-2007, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't want him within a 100 miles of my team. We just watched him implode the other night. I imagine his attitude is horrible to mesh with the other players.

Matt700wlw
08-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Reds got an absolute deal in Aaron Harang

traderumor
08-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Zambrano is starting to show signs of arm problems to go with his head problems. He has had inconsistent velocity and been way too hittable too many times. Just conjecture, but he has logged a lot of innings at a young age and is maximum effort. It would be about right with the Cubbies history of making schleprock look like the president of the Optimists Society.

flyer85
08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
almost everyone has been locking up their bigger free agents if the player is looking to sign(over the last few years) because the cost of replacing them on the free agent market is a losing proposition.

Spitball
08-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Zambrano is starting to show signs of arm problems to go with his head problems. He has had inconsistent velocity and been way too hittable too many times. Just conjecture, but he has logged a lot of innings at a young age and is maximum effort. It would be about right with the Cubbies history of making schleprock look like the president of the Optimists Society.

I think it is interesting he signed shortly after a no strikeout/thirteen hit performance. And you're correct, TR, there have been concerns about his lowered arm slot, which could be masking a shoulder ailment.

fearofpopvol1
08-17-2007, 07:09 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking after I saw this deal.

traderumor
08-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I think it is interesting he signed shortly after a no strikeout/thirteen hit performance. And you're correct, TR, there have been concerns about his lowered arm slot, which could be masking a shoulder ailment.Zambrano doesn't seem like the type that would try to pitch through pain to get the contract, then come up lame in the first year of it, you know, one of those high-character guys ;)

BuckeyeRedleg
08-17-2007, 10:29 PM

I agree.

I still think this is a good deal for the Cubbies.

It's just Harang is a better deal for our Reds. :beerme:

Spitball
08-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Zambrano doesn't seem like the type that would try to pitch through pain to get the contract, then come up lame in the first year of it, you know, one of those high-character guys ;)

I'm not sure on Zambrano. If a pitcher establishes an effective arm slot and he is successful, why would he change? The higher slot is much more conducive to control and velocity while the lower may produce more movement. I'm just saying, I'm leery of a successful pitcher who changes arm slots. There has to be the question, "why the change???"

Pitchers go through lots of rote muscle memory with there pitches, and Zambrano seems to have made an adjustment to the lower slot. This is clearly not an accident with an ace pitcher. My question is, why?

mth123
08-17-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure on Zambrano. If a pitcher establishes an effective arm slot and he is successful, why would he change? The higher slot is much more conducive to control and velocity while the lower may produce more movement. I'm just saying, I'm leery of a successful pitcher who changes arm slots. There has to be the question, "why the change???"

Pitchers go through lots of rote muscle memory with there pitches, and Zambrano seems to have made an adjustment to the lower slot. This is clearly not an accident with an ace pitcher. My question is, why?

It does make you wonder if he agreed to this deal which seems to be generally considered below market because he knows that he may not make it through the year healthy and kill his market.

I think Zambrano's one of the 2 or 3 best pitchers in the NL (Webb, maybe Hamels) and would have loved for the Reds to be able to make a run at him, but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence of an injury. At the very least, he's been worked hard. OTOH he could be fine. I have no real info.

Spitball
08-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I have no real info.

Right, but when investing in pitchers for the long term, it is wise to make inferences about their health. I'm not saying Zambrano couldn't make adjustments to a loss of velocity, but I have some sincere doubts. He really does not appear to pitch with a plan, nor does he he have an idea where his pitches are going. He just busts the ball in there hard. He is not the type of pitcher who typically makes the educated adjustments.

GAC
08-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I look at the "luck" the Cubs have had in recent years with their rotation, committing money, and then arm troubles appear. Prior and Wood lead the league in Most Minor League Rehab Appearances.

I'd label him more a bull-headed mule rather than a horse, with the intelligence to match. ;)