PDA

View Full Version : 2010 All-Star site to be revealed soon

TOBTTReds
08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm not huge into the All-Star game, but I'm VERY dissapointed that Cincy hasn't had the game in a while. I think it was ridiculous that Pittsburgh would get it twice in a 12 year span. I hope we get it soon, but it's looking unlikely.

All-Star site for 2010 to be revealed soon
Anaheim is considered favorite to host Midsummer Classic
By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

TORONTO -- Commissioner Bud Selig is expected to make an announcement shortly regarding the host city for the 2010 All-Star Game, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim seem to have the inside track.
"I hope to do the '10 announcement soon, in the next month or so," Selig said on Thursday, just after the conclusion of the owners meetings. "And '11 and '12 I'll probably do a little later."

The Angels have applied for the next available game, and a team official said on Thursday night that his club is hopeful of being selected.

"We're confident we're on the short list," Tim Mead, a long-time team spokesman, said before the Angels played the Blue Jays in the finale of a three-game series at Rogers Centre.

Selig wouldn't divulge his choice, saying only that the three days of festivities certainly would go to an American League team. After Pittsburgh and San Francisco of the National League hosted the last two games, Selig said he was determined to go back to the traditional rotation.

The New York Yankees are hosting next year's game in what will be the final season at the current Yankee Stadium. The 2009 game has already been awarded to the Cardinals, who will be in their fourth season at Busch Stadium III.

"I'm going to try now to do AL and then NL, alternate them," Selig said. "I think it's fair since [the winning league in the All-Star Game] does determine home-field advantage in the World Series."

The Angels, who last hosted the event in 1989, wanted the 2008 game, but Selig opted for the sentimental value of playing that one in the Bronx, where the new Yankee Stadium will open just north of the old one in time for the 2009 season.

Asked specifically if the Angels would get the 2010 game, Selig demurred.

"I've not yet made a decision, but thank you for asking," he said.

Aside from the '08 game in New York and the 1999 in Boston's Fenway Park, Selig has recently used the All-Star Game to highlight many of the newer stadiums. Since the early 1990s, all the new parks in the AL have hosted a game, beginning with what was then called Toronto's Skydome in 1991. Subsequently, All-Star Games have already been played in Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Seattle and Texas.

New ballparks in Minneapolis and Oakland will be available when they come on line during the next decade. And Selig has already promised perhaps the 2012 game to Kansas City once renovations to Kauffman Stadium are complete.

He'll have plenty of choices in the NL with new ballparks in Phoenix, San Diego, Philadelphia and Cincinnati that haven't played host to the game. Plus, Washington, D.C.'s new yard opens next year and Citi Field will replace New York's Shea Stadium in 2009.

"Everybody would like one, that's the problem," Selig said about his myriad of All-Star Game choices. "I've got more people bearing down on me for All-Star Games than I know what to do with."

top6
08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I agree it is silly that Pittsburgh got 2 in 12 years, but if you think about it there are 30 teams so Cincinnati isn't really due to get a game until 2019 (since the last one was in 1989).

cumberlandreds
08-17-2007, 10:31 AM
The most logical way would be to take the cities in order of new ballparks. But the most logical way isn't the Bud way.

George Anderson
08-17-2007, 10:34 AM
The Yankees get the 2008 game but does anyone really think they will hafta wait more than say another ten years to get another game at their new stadium??

Unassisted
08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
The most logical way would be to take the cities in order of new ballparks.

I disagree. Size of TV market should be part of the criteria, along with newness of stadium. Most of MLB's money comes from TV, and the All Star game will have the most appeal as a TV show when it originates from a large market.

Let's say 2 teams open new stadiums in the same year. The team that is in the larger TV market should get the game before the team in the smaller market.

smith288
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I dont understand what the size of the TV market has to do with it. Its an all star game...people dont tune in to it to see the city in my opinion. They tune in to see the players.

cumberlandreds
08-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I dont understand what the size of the TV market has to do with it. Its an all star game...people dont tune in to it to see the city in my opinion. They tune in to see the players.

I don't either. I guess that could be a tie breaker if teams have opened a new stadium in the same year.

TOBTTReds
08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't either. I guess that could be a tie breaker if teams have opened a new stadium in the same year.

I'm with you. Milwaukee was great, until they tied. Remember the HR derby...Juicin' Sammy with monster shots off the slide.

Unassisted
08-17-2007, 01:01 PM

I don't doubt one bit that this is the aspect of the ASG that appeals to you and most of the posters here. But you're thinking like a die-hard fan of the sport, rather than a casual fan. Think about the most lukewarm baseball fan you know and what would entice them to watch the game. I believe that the location and the host team has a lot to do with attracting the fringe audience.

No matter where the game is held, the network that carries the broadcast will find something to hype about it. If it's held in a big market, where the local media has been hyping the game for weeks beforehand, it will hold more crossover appeal.

fearofpopvol1
08-17-2007, 01:10 PM

Well, and I'd think attendance of regular season games probably has something to do with it too. The Reds lack attendance severely.

KronoRed
08-17-2007, 01:45 PM
The Yankees get the 2008 game but does anyone really think they will hafta wait more than say another ten years to get another game at their new stadium??

I say 8 years tops, also..GAB will never host an allstar game.

dougdirt
08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree it is silly that Pittsburgh got 2 in 12 years, but if you think about it there are 30 teams so Cincinnati isn't really due to get a game until 2019 (since the last one was in 1989).

The Reds actually had it in 1988. I have a pennant in my room from it.... not that I was there, becuase I was 4 years old at the time, but still, lets move that date up to 2018!

jmcclain19
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
He'll have plenty of choices in the NL with new ballparks in Phoenix, San Diego, Philadelphia and Cincinnati

How about the fact that Phoenix opened their ballpark years before all of the above said teams and still gets skipped over every year Mr.Commish?

vaticanplum
08-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Once again, do we know that the Reds WANT to host an All-Star game at this point? I assume that stadiums have to apply.

Frankly, if I were in charge, there's no way I'd give GABP the All-Star game at this point. Not until there's something next to the stadium besides a mud pile. Doesn't make for great panoramic shots on FOX, not to mention, you know, stuff for tourists to do around the game.

Unassisted
08-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I just remembered that one of the big sticking points that prevented the Reds from getting an ASG around the time that GABP opened was that the convention center in Cincinnati was under heavy construction. MLB needs space in a convention center venue to hold all of the ancillary activities associated with an All-Star Game. (Sponsor parties, festival games, etc.)

Question for the local folks... Is that convention center ready now?

vaticanplum
08-17-2007, 06:29 PM
I just remembered that one of the big sticking points that prevented the Reds from getting an ASG around the time that GABP opened was that the convention center in Cincinnati was under heavy construction. MLB needs space in a convention center venue to hold all of the ancillary activities associated with an All-Star Game. (Sponsor parties, festival games, etc.)

It's the Duke Energy Center and it is indeed open for bidness. It's where RedsFest was last year, actually.

So that part, at least, is ready.

DoogMinAmo
08-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Yes it is. And the Banks project to occur in between the two stadia just got planning commission approval yesterday, its approved completion date is 2022, although the developers foresee completing 5 years before that. Groundbreaking is supposed to happen within a few months on the parking garages to raise the project out of the flood plain, and first phase, between GAB and the Underground railroad museum, is to be completed by 2010.

Keeping that in mind, maybe 2018 isn't such a bad date after all.

EDIT: Not to mention the new ownership group has not shied away from pumping money back into the stadium, in 10 years it could be an even better facility.

KronoRed
08-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Once again, do we know that the Reds WANT to host an All-Star game at this point? I assume that stadiums have to apply.

I'm sure they do, they probably know they have little chance at it right now so they aren't fussing

Strikes Out Looking
08-17-2007, 08:33 PM
The most logical way would be to take the cities in order of new ballparks. But the most logical way isn't the Bud way.

The most logical thing would be to get rid of Bud as commissioner, but alas, that is another thread.

Heath
08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
The reason Pittsburgh got it was because McClatchy wanted the extra $$ to help sell season tickets.