PDA

View Full Version : Tigers call up Cameron Maybin

dougdirt
08-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Wow. Maybin has spent all of 6 games in AA this year and was called up to the big leagues. He went crazy in those 6 games, hitting 4 home runs (14 on the year), but that just seems incredible to me. He is 1 day younger than Jay Bruce is, and was taken right before Jay in the draft.

I think the guy will struggle big time in the majors this season. He is a ground ball hitter (61% of his balls in play are on the ground). He doesn't hit many line drives (10%). His game is really all about how fast he is, and he is really fast. He has raw power and is a very streaky hitter when it comes to his power. He his 5 home runs in a 6 game stretch earlier this year, then didn't hit a home run for over a month. He seems to go on mini runs like that often.

I hope the kid goes crazy and destroys the baseball this year for the Tigers, but I just don't see it happening this year.

edabbs44
08-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Wow...should be fun.

UC_Ken
08-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Remember they're in contention, if they feel like he helps the team they need to bring him up. I think if we were in contention Bruce probably would have replaced Hamilton when he went on the DL.

REDblooded
08-17-2007, 02:38 PM
and right after i use my waiver on Buchholz!

dougdirt
08-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Dont worry redblooded.... you made the right call. Maybin will not produce at a level you want outside of stolen bases for several years.

RedsManRick
08-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Sounds a lot like Jose Reyes. Insane speed, developing power. Surprised they're starting his clock this early. Is he really better in LF than Thames?

dougdirt
08-17-2007, 02:54 PM
RMR, he has never played LF, so you don't really know. One thing Reyes had over Maybin though is the ability to make lots of contact. Maybin strikes out at a high rate, and for a guy who relies on his speed to get on base with hits, that is not a good combo. 23% of Cameron's hits this season are infield hits, and he has only bunted twice on the season.

GoReds33
08-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Sounds a lot like Jose Reyes. Insane speed, developing power. Surprised they're starting his clock this early. Is he really better in LF than Thames?Speaking of Reyes's developing power. What happened to that? He hasn't had a good year power wise at all. I thought he would hit 25-30 this year. He is still awesome at hitting singles, and stealing bases though.:phillips:

camisadelgolf
08-17-2007, 03:56 PM
He has 45 triples and 35 homeruns since 2005, which is pretty good power for all intensive purposes.

Superdude
08-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Wierd. Upton I understand, but Maybin seems like a reach. Bruce has to feel left out by now.

dougdirt
08-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Colby Rasmus feels more left out than anyone. He began the year in AA and is still there.

NJReds
08-17-2007, 11:26 PM
The Tigers cut Craig Monroe to make room for Maybin.

Eric_Davis
08-17-2007, 11:55 PM
I still think they would have had a better chance to win the World Series this year by trading us Andrew Miller for Dunn and Harang.

ochoa30
08-17-2007, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't trade harang for miller staight up. Dunn maybe. I hope you meant to say maybin and miller atleast.

Eric_Davis
08-18-2007, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't trade harang for miller staight up. Dunn maybe. I hope you meant to say maybin and miller atleast.

You know the kind of year Harang is having this year? Andrew Miller has half a dozen like or better years in his immediate future and when he's done with that half a dozen, then he'll be the age that Harang is right now.

We're apparently not going to get much more than 2 high draft picks for Dunn, neither of which will probably do much in the Majors. Only 20% of picks from the 1st 5 rounds in the last 20 years even reach the Majors. Wasn't that the stat we discussed a couple of months ago?

It's Detroit who wouldn't dream of doing so a lopsided deal in our favor. But, if I was Detroit, they have a window right now and Dunn and Harang could help them win one, if not a couple of World Series. They have about $20M coming off the books at the end of this year freeing up plenty of money to sign Dunn.

The Tigers are in dire need of left-handed power. They dominate left-handed starters, but can struggle against Right-handers.

ochoa30
08-18-2007, 12:06 AM
You know the kind of year Harang is having this year? Andrew Miller has half a dozen like or better years in his immediate future and when he's done with that half a dozen, then he'll be the age that Harang is right now.

We're apparently not going to get much more than 2 high draft picks for Dunn, neither of which will probably do much in the Majors. Only 20% of picks from the 1st 5 rounds in the last 20 years even reach the Majors. Wasn't that the stat we discussed a couple of months ago?

It's Detroit who wouldn't dream of doing so a lopsided deal in our favor. But, if I was Detroit, they have a window right now and Dunn and Harang could help them win one, if not a couple of World Series. They have about $20M coming off the books at the end of this year freeing up plenty of money to sign Dunn.

i didn't say andrew miller wasn't good but he is no sure thing. Money is the only reason they wouldn't do that. Harang is a sure thing workhorse and you don't trade those unless you are getting a better one back.

Eric_Davis
08-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Dont worry redblooded.... you made the right call. Maybin will not produce at a level you want outside of stolen bases for several years.

I hope Maybin bombs so Detroit regrets not trading for Dunn or Junior.

UC_Ken
08-18-2007, 12:39 AM

There's no guarantee. In 2003 everyone was convinced that Mark Prior was a future HOFer and now he's basically out of baseball. I wouldn't trade Harang straight up for any young pitcher, too much risk involved.

Eric_Davis
08-18-2007, 12:42 AM
There's no guarantee. In 2003 everyone was convinced that Mark Prior was a future HOFer and now he's basically out of baseball. I wouldn't trade Harang straight up for any young pitcher, too much risk involved.

Prior and Miller were different pitchers coming out of College. Miller's the real deal and is 8 years younger than Harang. He's better than Lincecum and much better than Bailey.

dougdirt
08-18-2007, 03:18 AM
ED, I think you are way off base with your Miller talk. The guy is good and all, but he isn't on the same page as Lincecum right now outside of health concerns because of Tims size. I would still take Bailey over Miller though, although thats a closer call.

NJReds
08-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Maybin hit an absolute bomb today v. Clemens. Over the 408 mark in Yankee Stadium.

CTA513
08-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Maybin hit an absolute bomb today v. Clemens. Over the 408 mark in Yankee Stadium.

I went and checked out the box score and Maybin got hit by Clemens in his next at bat.

ochoa30
08-18-2007, 07:03 PM
I went and checked out the box score and Maybin got hit by Clemens in his next at bat.

Yea, it was an accident though. It was an 0-2 pitch with 2 runners on base. No way was it intentional.

cincrazy
08-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Maybin's homered today. Not bad to take Roger Clemens deep in Yankee Stadium for your first career homer.

NJReds
08-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Yea, it was an accident though. It was an 0-2 pitch with 2 runners on base. No way was it intentional.

I was watching. It wasn't intentional, otherwise it would've hit him in the back. Inside fastball, caught Maybin's right arm.

NJReds
08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
BTW. Roger Clemens was the MVP and CY Young winner in 1986. The year before Maybin was born.

blumj
08-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Maybin's homered today. Not bad to take Grandpa Clemens deep in Yankee Stadium for your first career homer.
Sorry, couldn't resist.