PDA

View Full Version : Marcus McBeth has an ERA of 1.38 at Louisville with 9 saves...

AmarilloRed
08-18-2007, 11:55 PM
...yet we have Guardado and Stanton on the roster ahead of him? I would imagine Marcus must be wondering what he has to do.:dunno:

Degenerate39
08-18-2007, 11:56 PM
He doesn't know how to lose bad enough I guess?

Muggerd
08-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Money is more powerful than winning

mroby85
08-18-2007, 11:59 PM
he didn't pitch that well when he was up here, although i can't make an argument for guardado or stanton.

AmarilloRed
08-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Mroby 85 is correct about his MLB numbers this year. I will mention both of them to illustrate the point 2-0 1.50 era, 33 games, 15 saves, 36 ip, 31 hits, 10 runs, 6er, 4hr, 10 bb, 30 so. and a .228 BA allowed this year in the minors.

Here is how he has fared in limited time in Cincinnati: 2-2, 7.59 era, 12 games, 10 2/3 innings, 13 hits, 9 runs, 9 earned 1 home run, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts, and .317 BA allowed.

There are a couple of conclusions to be drawn from his numbers this year: He has been lights-outs in the minors this year, and no purpose is served by having him stay down there. He had some difficulty earlier this year in Cincinnati, but I would let him prove that his earlier performance this year was a fluke. If he has a 1.38 era at Louisville, I would expect he could at least manage a 4.00 era in Cincinnati. I am all for Krivsky bringing him up as soon as possible, but I expect it might not happen until September.

Orenda
08-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Carlos Guevarra has been performing very well at AA for almost two seasons. So far this year he has a 2.35 era in 53.2 innings. He's given up 42 hits, 4 homeruns, 21 bb's, and k'd 78. He can't even get to Louisville, I really wonder what is going through his head. I'm guessing Krivsky might be looking to make another David Shafer type trade with Guevarra. O yeah McBeth needs to be with the big club too.

Muggerd
08-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Mroby 85 is correct about his MLB numbers this year. I will mention both of them to illustrate the point 2-0 1.50 era, 33 games, 15 saves, 36 ip, 31 hits, 10 runs, 6er, 4hr, 10 bb, 30 so. and a .228 BA allowed this year in the minors.

Here is how he has fared in limited time in Cincinnati: 2-2, 7.59 era, 12 games, 10 2/3 innings, 13 hits, 9 runs, 9 earned 1 home run, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts, and .317 BA allowed.

There are a couple of conclusions to be drawn from his numbers this year: He has been lights-outs in the minors this year, and no purpose is served by having him stay down there. He had some difficulty earlier this year in Cincinnati, but I would let him prove that his earlier performance this year was a fluke. If he has a 1.38 era at Louisville, I would expect he could at least manage a 4.00 era in Cincinnati. I am all for Krivsky bringing him up as soon as possible, but I expect it might not happen until September.

He will be in the minors for the next 2 years with Votto and Bruce.

Orenda
08-19-2007, 10:51 AM
He will be in the minors for the next 2 years with Votto and Bruce.

Its funny you say that. Fay was guessing in his article today that the reds would exercise Hatteberg's option for next year leaving Votto's status up in the air. O yeah Marcus McBeth should be with the big club too.

Jay Bruce
08-19-2007, 03:41 PM
With Stanton, Guardado, Majewski and Gosling currently in the pen, there is definitely room to try McBeth out. His ERA in the majors is high right now, but it screams of small sample size, as his peripheral numbers have been pretty good. There is no reason to leave him in AAA when we are out of the race.

TC81190
08-19-2007, 05:35 PM
With Stanton, Guardado, Majewski and Gosling currently in the pen, there is definitely room to try McBeth out. His ERA in the majors is high right now, but it screams of small sample size, as his peripheral numbers have been pretty good. There is no reason to leave him in AAA when we are out of the race.

Yeah he was doing fine except for the week or so right before he went down.

mroby85
08-20-2007, 12:29 AM

that is fine, and i'm not saying i disagree with you, but i am saying he had his opportunity, and didn't take advantage of it, so there is no one to blame but himself for being where he is.

AmarilloRed
08-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Jared Burton had a 5.09 ERA before the All-Star Break. Aren't you glad we gave him a second chance? The time is rapidly approaching when McBeth should have the same chance.

Jay Bruce
08-20-2007, 12:56 AM
that is fine, and i'm not saying i disagree with you, but i am saying he had his opportunity, and didn't take advantage of it, so there is no one to blame but himself for being where he is.

He had 10 2/3 innings in his "opportunity", and the Reds have since brought up the likes of Majewski, Gosling and Santos, pitchers who have virtually no chance of sustained major league success. McBeth has little to prove in the minors and actually has a chance to be a decent reliever. Now is the time to see how he can do.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Salmon, Burton, Coutlangus, McBeth, Weathers, Bray, and yes Stanton..

That right there sounds like a top 10 bullpen in the league based on each's cieling and experience.. the problem is we will keep demoting them and hopingto dash their confidence in themselves so when we do bring them up they suck so they can say "told you so", and keep the magic man, stanton, and the rest of our bullpen up here..

I for the life of me havent figured out why they dont give josh hamilton a 1 inning chance in a game that they are down by 6 or up by 12..

By the way.. if you look at the stats.. mike stanton has only had 5 bad games.. granted they were terrible(giving up more than 1 run), but you take out those 5 games out of the 54 games he has pitched.. His ERA is 2.6.... and his bad games have been more the rarity than his good games.. He has given up 17 of his 29 ER in less than 3 of his 44 innings pitched.. soo when he is having those bad games, dont you think it falls on the pitching coach for not reckognizing maybe it isnt stantons night? I know some should fall on him b/c he should know as well, but as competitive as he is sometimes a 3rd party must step in with a reasonable head to help make a decision.. something pohle is afraid to do..

plus stantons career ERA is 4.. soo did you expect it to be like 2 when he is 40?

By the way is it too early to start calling homer bailey a bust? I want the guy to succeed sooooo bad but at this point he hasnt started to rebound from being down there at all..

AmarilloRed
08-20-2007, 01:01 AM
It is too early. He was injured when he came to the Reds in the summer and played in Louisville. Let us see what he is like when he finishes his pitching program in Sarasota.

Orenda
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
plus stantons career ERA is 4.. soo did you expect it to be like 2 when he is 40?

By the way is it too early to start calling homer bailey a bust? I want the guy to succeed sooooo bad but at this point he hasnt started to rebound from being down there at all..

No i didn't, did you expect it? Did Wayne expect it? He is 40 and he is 5 million bones richer. Nice chunk of retirement change if you ask me. I've dubbed this phenomenon as the "small to mid market fairwell tour"

Btrester151
08-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I totally agree with you. There is no reason what so ever to keep a guy like mcbeth down in aaa.
It really has to make the whole minor leauge system start to wonder what it takes to get the call.

Guys like votto, cueto, Mcbeth , bruce have done nothing but improve at each level. Really makes you wonder.

I guess we will see what wayne has in store for us come September 1st

Orenda
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
McBeth needs to get regular work. He WILL struggle, but that is something I'd rather have him do in a lost season. If the reds were in the race and were going with experience over youth thats one thing, but when they are realistically out of contention in an already weak division its another. If I remember correctly last Sept. Wayne didn't call up too many guys come September? I believe his reasoning was because the minor league teams were in a playoff chase. Cueto has already been sent back to AA to help get Chatt. into the playoffs, so Im a little skeptical about anticipating potential Sept. call-ups.

AmarilloRed
09-02-2007, 02:20 AM
He received his first appearance in Cincinnati since being called up. He gave up a hit, and allowed an inherited runner to score. He also threw a wild pitch. It could have gone better, but it was a good appearance, and may have settled him down for future apppearances.

Muggerd
09-02-2007, 02:22 AM
He received his first appearance in Cincinnati since being called up. He gave up a hit, and allowed an inherited runner to score. He also threw a wild pitch. It could have gone better, but it was a good appearance, and may have settled him down for future apppearances.

People are too quick to jump to judgement on players. Give him some more time. There is a lot of adjustment for pitchers going from minors to majors.

GoReds33
09-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I hope he shows some of the skills he displayed when he was at Louisville. If he does that would give us four solid relievers. I think we would have a legitimate bullpen there. You may even be able to count five with how Majewski is pitching. That gives us Bray, Burton, Weathers, Majewski, and hopefully McBeth. GO REDS!!!:)

ChatterRed
09-02-2007, 11:23 AM
McBeth will be back just as soon as he gets shelled at triple A. They are waiting for him to have a bad outing to prove he belongs with our other relievers. Because he has to fit in.

Orenda
09-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Its hilarious how bad this organization has been at producing pitching. Two of the better young relievers are converted outfielders from outside the organization. Who knows, Asadorian may make it 3.

AmarilloRed
09-02-2007, 06:49 PM
McBeth has been wonderful at AAA. I hope he shows he can handle MLB hitters in September.

AmarilloRed
09-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Marcus has had 5 or 6 appearances so far in September, so I though I would give you all a progress report on how he has done this month. Keep in mind all this is a small sample size. He has had a 4.15 ERA in the month of September, which is much better considering that his ERA was over 10 in July. He has pitched 4 1/3 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs, 2 er, 1 hr, 4 walks, and 6 strikeouts. He has been a little wild, but has also lowered his ERA from 7.36 to 6.60 over this stretch. Hopefully he will continue to do well, and make the bullpen next year. As for tonight, he pitched 1 scoreless inning with 2 strikeouts.

jnwohio
09-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Marcus has had 5 or 6 appearances so far in September, so I though I would give you all a progress report on how he has done this month. Keep in mind all this is a small sample size. He has had a 4.15 ERA in the month of September, which is much better considering that his ERA was over 10 in July. He has pitched 4 1/3 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs, 2 er, 1 hr, 4 walks, and 6 strikeouts. He has been a little wild, but has also lowered his ERA from 7.36 to 6.60 over this stretch. Hopefully he will continue to do well, and make the bullpen next year. As for tonight, he pitched 1 scoreless inning with 2 strikeouts.

Brantley says a some of the same things about McBeth that he says about Todd Coffey in regards to his stuff. According to Brantley, McBeth's fastball and change up are big league quality but he needs a breaking ball he can throw for strikes and use as his out pitch. JB says the "breaking ball" Marcus has shown since his return from AAA is really more of a flat cutter fastball. This is proabably good enough to fool lots of guys once around the league and some guys a little longer but for real effectiveness and longevity, McBeth needs a true slider says Mr. Brantley.

GoReds33
09-17-2007, 09:06 PM
The only thing I have a problem with is the .270 opponent batting average.

AmarilloRed
09-18-2007, 02:27 PM
ON McBETH: Right-hander Marcus McBeth pitched a perfect inning in each of the final two games in Milwaukee, striking out a total of three.

McBeth is the pitcher the Reds got in the trade for Chris Denorfia from Oakland. McBeth had a 2.38 ERA at Triple-A and converted 17 of 18 save chances this year.

He had an earlier stint with the Reds. He went 2-2 with a 7.59 ERA. He has a 4.15 ERA in six appearances since he was called back up Sept. 4. Five of the six have been scoreless.

"He's got good arm strength," Mackanin said. "He's got a good slider and a very good change-up. The thing I like about him is his change-up. That can be effective, especially against lefties.

It seems like his slider is coming along. Also. his .268 BA allowed is largely based on earlier appearances. I would imagine that would be much better in the month of September. All of this is a very small sample size, and we will get a truer test of his ability next year.

AmarilloRed
09-22-2007, 03:09 AM
McBeth did well tonight. He pitched 2 scoreless inning to help the Reds win the game. His ERA has fallen to 6.00, and he will be a player to watch in spring training.

RedsMightWin
09-22-2007, 03:10 AM
I must say I like the guys ability when he actually gets guys out.

We have a bunch of young arms on this team that should help us in the near future. Cant wait.

AmarilloRed
09-24-2007, 01:59 AM
McBETH McGOOD: Right-hander Marcus McBeth pitched two innings of one-hit ball to get the win Friday. McBeth has a 3.86 ERA over 71/3 innings in his latest stint with the Reds. He has allowed only one run over his last five innings and struck out six.

"He's got a lot of potential," Mackanin said. "Every time he pitches on this level, he builds his confidence. That's what happened with (Jared) Burton."

Let's hope Marcus McBeth becomes the new Jared Burton.