PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign player from Netherlands Antilles

JaxRed
08-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Mariekson Gregorius 17, SS I think. Couldn't find much on him. Went 4/4 in one game. Saw what may be picture of him and he was ripped.

camisadelgolf
08-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Mariekson Gregorius 17, SS I think. Couldn't find much on him. Went 4/4 in one game. Saw what may be picture of him and he was ripped.

I've seen where the Reds have signed a shortstop from the Netherlands with that name, and I've seen that the Yankees signed an outfielder from Curacao with the same name. If you're talking about 'straightupafro' from flixster, it appears that he is from Curacao. I think there's a mistake somewhere because 'Mariekson Gregorius' is just too rare of a name for it to occur twice in such a short period. My guess is that Mariekson Gregorius is from Curacao and played baseball in the Netherlands for a short period of time before signing with the Reds. As far as those who believe the Yankees signed a guy with the same name, I think there may be a mistake somewhere.

cincinnati chili
08-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Curacao is a property of the Netherlands (or at least some sort of commonwealth or principality), and part of the Netherlands Antilles. The Netherlands Antilles are in the South Caribbean sea.

Like Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, carrying U.S. passports, those from Curacao (I believe) are Dutch citizens. In fact, they (unlike Puerto Ricans) play for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic.

camisadelgolf
08-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Thank you for clearing that up. (Shows what I know. :p:) I'm still curious why Yankees fans believe they signed Mariekson Gregorius in July, though.

JaxRed
08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
They believe they have everyone....