PDA

View Full Version : Conine To The Mets For 2 Prospects

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com -

According to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times, the Mets might consider trading for Reds outfielder Jeff Conine. The need was created when Damion Easley endured a Grade 3 ankle sprain.

Conine, 41, has about $480K left on his contract this year. He's known to have cleared waivers, and I'm sure he can be had for a song.

C Trent -

Rosenthal from Fox is reporting Conine to the Mets for two Class A players

BRM
08-20-2007, 12:31 PM
The Reds can't trade Conine when they are in the middle of a pennant race. ;)

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
On top of that Carlos Delgado was held out of his 4th consecutive game with a hyper-extended knee. Making Conine a bit more valuable. With the Mets having an off day today.. I would think if a deal is going to happen.. it will happen today or soon after the Reds finish with tonights game.

flyer85
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Hope people realize they won't get much , if anything, for him.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Hope people realize they won't get much , if anything, for him.

I'd take whatever.. Conine is leaning toward retirement..

westofyou
08-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Conine, 41, has about $480K left on his contract this year. He's known to have cleared waivers, and I'm sure he can be had for a song.

If they do get a song from New York... I hope it's "Sick of You" by Lou Reed and not New York Time by Night Ranger.

flyer85
08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I'd take whatever.. Conine is leaning toward retirement..I agree, just pointing out that the odds of getting something that could be of use down are the road are not good.

Heath
08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
If the Conine is considered a "young body" and the Mets & Reds need to "Get Together" maybe the Youngblood's song Get Together is appropriate.

:dunno:

VR
08-20-2007, 12:48 PM
If they do get a song from New York... I hope it's "Sick of You" by Lou Reed and not New York Time by Night Ranger.

quality post. pseudo rep in your inbox.

Johnny Footstool
08-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Would you believe "New York Groove" by Ace Frehley?

redsmetz
08-20-2007, 12:55 PM
It doesn't hurt that Conine in the last week has batted over .350. Whatever we get is fine - he's retiring and really was wanted just for this year anyway. I'm guessing if it comes down, it will be a PTBNL and we'll get some Single A player or such. You can find an occasional gem with those. How much of a prospect was EE when he was thrown in the Reds/Rangers' trade?

DoogMinAmo
08-20-2007, 01:00 PM
It doesn't hurt that Conine in the last week has batted over .350. Whatever we get is fine - he's retiring and really was wanted just for this year anyway. I'm guessing if it comes down, it will be a PTBNL and we'll get some Single A player or such. You can find an occasional gem with those. How much of a prospect was EE when he was thrown in the Reds/Rangers' trade?

Rumor had it he was the centerpiece, but hindsight is 20/20. Conine is as good as gone if Wayne can get anything of value for him. Hattie, on the other hand, is a bigger question mark. Does he stay to show Votto the ropes and left handed pinch hit? What then happens to Javy?

oneupper
08-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Hat's 2008 option is too good not to pick up: $1.85 mm. You pick it up and look to trade him or Votto.

toledodan
08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Rumor had it he was the centerpiece, but hindsight is 20/20. Conine is as good as gone if Wayne can get anything of value for him. Hattie, on the other hand, is a bigger question mark. Does he stay to show Votto the ropes and left handed pinch hit? What then happens to Javy?

good questions. if we move conine votto comes up to play everyday. the hatt man goes to the bench as a PH while showing votto the ropes. if votto rakes then we don't have to pick up hatts option at the end of the season. also cantu might get the chance to be a RH option in connine's absence as well. maybe a platoon next season of votto and cantu? that would be a younger and cheaper option for sure.

Ravenlord
08-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Hat's 2008 option is too good not to pick up: $1.85 mm. You pick it up and look to trade him or Votto.
will anybody be in need of a lefty hitting 1B next year?

toledodan
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM

if they keep hat and trade votto i think all hope is lost.

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
good questions. if we move conine votto comes up to play everyday. the hatt man goes to the bench as a PH while showing votto the ropes. if votto rakes then we don't have to pick up hatts option at the end of the season. also cantu might get the chance to be a RH option in connine's absence as well. maybe a platoon next season of votto and cantu? that would be a younger and cheaper option for sure.

Do you actually see this happening? No way they bench Hatte in favor of an unproven Votto.

oneupper
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
if they keep hat and trade votto i think all hope is lost.

Votto projects to be good. But if he's the price for something better (preferably an arm), you have to consider it.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I love your avatar, DoogMinAmo. If the Reds can get a Ben Jukich or Robert Manuel-type for Jeff Conine, I'll be very happy.

This is probably a stretch, but maybe the Reds could trade Conine for Robert Parnell (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/Robert-Parnell.shtml). :confused:

toledodan
08-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Do you actually see this happening? No way they bench Hatte in favor of an unproven Votto.

is hatteburg the future first baseman of this team? if the reds were a couple of games out then i would understand that logic. however the reds are out of the race(i know not exactly) and need to see if votto can do it at the major league level.

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
is hatteburg the future first baseman of this team? if the reds were a couple of games out then i would understand that logic. however the reds are out of the race(i know not exactly) and need to see if votto can do it at the major league level.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. But the conventional wisdom of the Reds simply just wouldn't allow something like this to happen I don't believe.

toledodan
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm not saying I disagree with you. But the conventional wisdom of the Reds simply just wouldn't allow something like this to happen I don't believe.

i was thinking the same thing.:D

cincrazy
08-20-2007, 02:05 PM
If this team isn't trading Jeff Conine of Scott Hatteberg because "we're not out of it yet," they need their head examined. First of all, a Hatteberg or Conine is hardly going to make any difference in the win column if we trade them, so even if we were in the race, it wouldn't be a deadly blow to our chances.

And secondly, to even pretend that we can leapfrog four other teams and play almost .700 ball the rest of the way is absurd. This team is making progress, and it's nice to see, but lets face it folks, this season has been a wash since May.

BRM
08-20-2007, 02:06 PM
C. Trent is reporting that Cantu is getting called up. Maybe a Conine deal went down today?

Danny Serafini
08-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Has to be, Cantu fills in the right handed part of the 1B platoon. Curious what's coming back, not that I expect a lot, but maybe the Mets felt a little desperation and will send something usable.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM
C. Trent is reporting that Cantu is getting called up. Maybe a Conine deal went down today?

He thinks it's Bellhorn.. But with this rumor.. maybe a Conine did go through

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Has to be, Cantu fills in the right handed part of the 1B platoon. Curious what's coming back, not that I expect a lot, but maybe the Mets felt a little desperation and will send something usable.

Cough.. Pitching.. Cough

BRM
08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
He thinks it's Bellhorn.. But with this rumor.. maybe a Conine did go through

He said it "could be Bellhorn or something else is up". I would hope it's a Conine deal. Otherwise, it means the team sees Cantu as something other than a 1B.

toledodan
08-20-2007, 02:17 PM

or maybe bellhorn was DFA?

BRM
08-20-2007, 02:19 PM

Has to be one of those two. It makes more sense if it's Conine though. Cantu won't get much PT if he's replacing Bellhorn.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Yeah.. maybe.. but I think the Reds see Cantu as a 1st baseman and not a back-up 2nd baseman. With Keppinger hitting everything and Phillips power those two would have to comand SS and 2nd. So Cantu would get the nod at 1st platooning with Hatteberg.

jojo
08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
If this rumor is true I'd expect the Reds would be getting Philip Humber back in the deal at least....

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink048.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

flyer85
08-20-2007, 02:38 PM
If this rumor is true I'd expect the Reds would be getting Philip Humber back in the deal at least....

with Pelfrey I would expect. :beerme:

LoganBuck
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Beats the proposed trade I heard a stupid caller on WLW make last week

Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera for Ede, Votto, Stanton, Dumatrait, and Coutlangus

CTA513
08-20-2007, 03:05 PM

Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera for Ede, Votto, Stanton, Dumatrait, and Coutlangus

I wish the Marlins would be dumb enough to do that trade.

:fineprint

flyer85
08-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera for Ede, Votto, Stanton, Dumatrait, and CoutlangusReds should throw in a bunch more of that "quality" ... and less.

Ltlabner
08-20-2007, 03:11 PM

I have a far more important question than the implication of Connie to the Mets.

How do you get these new emoticons I keep seeing in people's posts? GAC has a bunch of them too.

BRM
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Per Rosenthal.

The New York Mets are on the verge of acquiring utility player Jeff Conine from the Cincinnati Reds for two Class-A position players, according to Major League sources.

Conine will serve as a right-handed hitter off the bench, filling in at first base and possibly the outfield.

He will be a replacement for infielder Damion Easley, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday with a sprained left ankle.

The Mets pursued Conine before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but he was not considered a top priority at the time.

Conine is batting .265 with six home runs and 32 RBIs in 80 games this season for the Reds.

KronoRed
08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh no!

Who bats cleanup vs lefties? :D

CTA513
08-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh no!

Who bats cleanup vs lefties? :D

Cantu

KronoRed
08-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Cantu

Oh Lord :help:

RedsManRick
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Cantu

Is he really qualified to bat cleanup? I mean, how short is his swing? Does he have a young body? Did he win a championship with the Marlins?

BRM
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Relax Krono, I'm sure BP will continue to be the team's cleanup hitter. Cantu will be Dunn's protection.

Tom Servo
08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
We'll miss you, Young Body.

KronoRed
08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Relax Krono, I'm sure BP will continue to be the team's cleanup hitter. Cantu will be Dunn's protection.

Thanks BRM..I can always count on you to be a calming force :D

BRM
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks BRM..I can always count on you to be a calming force :D

I try. I'm sure you especially loved the part about Cantu providing protection for Adam Dunn in the lineup.

gonelong
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Cantu

Can-Not! :ughmamoru

GL

Matt700wlw
08-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Can-Not! :ughmamoru

GL

If he stinks it up, we'll all call him that :D

red-in-la
08-20-2007, 04:27 PM

It would have to be New York-New York from "On the Town"

Cyclone792
08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
The New York Mets are on the verge of acquiring utility player Jeff Conine from the Cincinnati Reds for two Class-A position players, according to Major League sources.

If those two Class-A position players even know what baseball is, then I'm fine with this trade. I'd rather have two fringe prospects in the lower minors than an old guy with a young body who's apparently retiring at the end of the season.

RichRed
08-20-2007, 04:38 PM
If those two Class-A position players even know what baseball is, then I'm fine with this trade. I'd rather have two fringe prospects in the lower minors than an old guy with a young body who's apparently retiring at the end of the season.

Absolutely.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/590/story/199785.html
This is an article I found from last week in which someone from the Miami Herald wants Jeff Conine back.

Conine Belongs Back Here
By MIKE PHILLIPS
mphillips@MiamiHerald.com
Jeff Conine is the thread that runs through the franchise, and the team should reacquire him.

Jeff Conine just doesn't look good in red.

You can stare at him all you want, but it just doesn't fit.

''Because I'm with the Reds now?'' Conine said.

No, it was the same when he was with the Phillies. It just never looked right or felt right.

''How about the black and orange with Baltimore?'' Conine said.

Nope, not that didn't look good on him, either.

Conine belongs to the Marlins, more than any other player. He might be the only one, and that's one reason the Marlins should make a deal and bring Conine back home.

''I think this is going to be it for me,'' Conine said. ``The kids are getting to that age where you really start thinking about spending more time at home. This looks like it could be it.''

Home has been Weston for more than 15 years. He played here, lived here, works here and has a business here. South Florida and Conine fit.

''I cherish my time here,'' Conine said.

My theory on the Marlins for years has been that they never will be able to retire anyone's number. No one will stay around long enough.

You might be in love with Miguel Cabrera today, but years from now, when Cabrera walks into the Hall of Fame, he won't be wearing a Marlins cap. He will get to Cooperstown, N.Y., with the Yankees or Red Sox or Mets, or whoever comes up with that long-term, multimillion-dollar deal that the Marlins will cringe at and say, ``Oh, we did everything we could to keep him.''

Take a good look at Hanley Ramirez. He's special. Ramirez is the fastest rising star in baseball, and he already is one of the best players in the game. What are the odds of Ramirez playing here for 10 years? He will be gone, too -- just like every star this franchise has known.

FRAGMENTED PAST

It would be hard to find any franchise in any sport with such a fragmented history that has been filled with so much success.

It would be one thing if the Marlins were just a lousy franchise -- just look around at all the clubs who haven't won in years. The Marlins have not only won two World Series, but over the years, they also have given their fans some of baseball's most talented players.

But the Marlins -- especially the first and current owners -- have dumped all that talent in the name of saving money. No one stays around long enough for talk about retiring a number.

That's why there will never be a retired baseball number from a player with the Marlins. The only number that has been retired was No. 5, in honor of Carl Barger, the team's first president who died before the Marlins threw their first pitch in 1993.

I would like to see Conine's No. 19 flying somewhere in that football stadium. You can argue that Conine does not have Hall of Fame numbers. No Marlin ever will -- at least not playing here for more than 10 years. But Conine is Mr. Marlin. Some of the late Marlins fans and some of those ''life began 15 minutes ago'' people won't understand why. But Conine is the one thread that runs through this franchise -- and the only thread. Billy the Marlin was fired here.

GOLDEN DAYS OF '93

Conine was there in the beginning, when they wore those ugly teal outfits and everyone in South Florida was in love with baseball. That '93 season was so special to this community, it's still hard to believe it all went so sour and remains so stale.

Conine was hurt when the Marlins traded him to Kansas City after the 1997 championship, when Wayne Huizenga took the best team in baseball and smashed it to pieces like cheap glass.

Conine not only accepted the name ''Mr. Marlin,'' he embraced it, the way South Florida embraced him. He was back at Dolphin Stadium recently with the Reds, and he couldn't move without running into old friends from the stadium.

''Every time I come back here, sure it gets to me a little. This is the only place I won,'' Conine said.

He was there for both World Series titles, the lone starter left from Opening Day to play on the '97 championship team, and the veteran who came back just in time to help that young 2003 team win it all.

''I think more about the 2003 team,'' Conine said. ``When I got here [in a late-season trade], I played every game. It stands out because no one expected us to do anything. That's why it means a little more.''

MOST RECOGNIZABLE

To this day, he is still the most recognizable Marlin. And he was the first to be recognized on the national stage when he was named the 1995 All-Star Game MVP.

There's more to baseball than runs, hits and errors, and Conine is that intangible that somehow makes sense out of the most surreal baseball team in history. It's hard to care about the Marlins when they just keep tearing teams apart. But it's easy to care about players.

Brian Skrudland was in town recently to help the '95-96 Panthers celebrate with a reunion game.

''It's important for this franchise to know its history and build on a tradition, and have some tradition,'' he said of the Panthers, who are younger than the Marlins and yet have honored players with their Den of Honor.

The Marlins have nothing -- except those titles. Bring Conine back for one last run here -- and not just because he is Mr. Marlin. He could help this team. He's a veteran with a great baseball mind and a great sense of humor.

Conine is not going to put 50,000 people in the stands, but the move would send the right message to a corps of Marlins fans who have been walked on too many times. At some point, I would like to see Luis Castillo's number retired, and maybe others, but it has to start somewhere. And this is the best place to start. Make the trade because it's the right thing to do -- and because it will help the young club in the future.

Then start talking about retiring No. 19.

Trust me, it's a perfect fit.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
According to Hal McCoy, one reason the Mets didn't acquire Conine before the deadline is because it would have put them into the luxury tax bracket.

oneupper
08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
So, Jeff lives here in Weston. Probably in Weston Hills.
Marino used to live here, too as did Canseco.

Unassisted
08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I have a far more important question than the implication of Connie to the Mets.

How do you get these new emoticons I keep seeing in people's posts? GAC has a bunch of them too.

The "new emoticons" don't reside on the forum. They're being linked from other sites as images.

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s33/smilies-13495.png

Just wrap an image tag around the link below to try this yourself.

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s33/smilies-13495.png

jojo
08-20-2007, 05:10 PM

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat..... :p:

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 05:12 PM
This is just a test.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s33/smilies-13498.png

Matt700wlw
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s33/smiliegenerator_test.png

(oops, forgot an 'n')

jojo
08-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Here's my favorite smiley....

http://freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E_%5EJOJO is the coolest guy-EVA%5E_%5E.gif (http://freesmileys.org/custom)

camisadelgolf
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s33/smilies-13500.png

oneupper
Are we having fun, boys?

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 05:18 PM
nm

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Curious to see who these prospects are, but it made sense for both sides.

08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
And Sun Deck members clamor to join this board?

jojo
08-20-2007, 05:24 PM
And Sun Deck members clamor to join this board?

Well while the per diem is only adequate, the signing bonus is really sweet IMHO....

Redsland
08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Fay is confirming that Conine has left the building.

westofyou
08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Fay is confirming that Conine has left the building.

There goes the teams handball champ, and likely the only guy besides Stanton who remembers the joy of playing with Hot Wheels Sizzlers.

Tom Servo
08-20-2007, 05:34 PM
There goes a true professional hitter.

Gainesville Red
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Curious to see who these prospects are, but it made sense for both sides.

Per C. Trent...............

The Reds got two Class A players, shortstop Jose Castro and outfielder Sean Henry

nate
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Here are the dudes we get:

SS-Jose Castro (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jose%20Castro&pos=SS&sid=t507&t=p_pbp&pid=452765) (yes, another Castro)
OF-Sean Henry (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Sean%20Henry&pos=OF&sid=t507&t=p_pbp&pid=445162) (two first names!)

Matt700wlw
08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Good luck to Conine!

BRM
08-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Wayne says both will report to Chattanooga.

Talked to Conine and Wayne. Conine's happy to be going to a contender and is still planning on hanging them up after the season. The Reds got two Class A players, shortstop Jose Castro and outfielder Sean Henry

Wayne said the players had been decided for a while, and they will report to Chattanooga, and the Mets were more or less waiting on a roster spot. That opened up with Damion Easley's injury.

Big Klu
08-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Good luck to Jeff Conine. I know it was a popular pastime on RedsZone to bash him, but I liked him. He was a solid backup 1B. Also, he will always be a special player for me because I got my first-ever foul ball this April at GABP off Conine's bat! :thumbup:

traderumor

SS-Jose Castro (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jose%20Castro&pos=SS&sid=t507&t=p_pbp&pid=452765) (yes, another Castro)
OF-Sean Henry (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Sean%20Henry&pos=OF&sid=t507&t=p_pbp&pid=445162) (two first names!)

Both of the prospects are very small. Wonder if they've gone through puberty?

remdog

A couple of little dudes! Where's the beef! :)

Rem

Matt700wlw
08-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Another Castro :eek: :eek: :eek:

:)

BRM
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Henry was a 3rd pick in 2004. Castro was a 9th round pick in 2005. Looks like Henry was switched to OF this year. He was drafted as a middle infielder.

remdog
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Good luck to Jeff Conine. I know it was a popular pastime on RedsZone to bash him, but I liked him.

I didn't see it as bashing Conine. I saw it as bashing the mindset that thought he, somehow, made a difference on this team and was willing to waste $2M on him. Nothing against Jeff. It was simply a bad fit and a bad management decision.

Rem

Mainspark
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Mets get Jeff Conine from Reds for 2 minor leaguers

CINCINNATI (AP) — The New York Mets got Jeff Conine from the Cincinnati Reds for two minor leaguers on Monday, adding a 41-year-old player who has two World Series rings and knows how to contribute off the bench.
Conine can play first base or outfield and is adept at pinch-hitting — he led the Reds with nine hits in that role. Conine is batting .265 overall with six homers and 32 RBIs.
“We’ve had our eyes on him for a while,” Mets general manager Omar Minaya said.
The move came one day after the Mets put infielder Damion Easley on the 15-day disabled list with a severely sprained left ankle, the latest blow to the NL East leaders.
Easley is expected to miss at least a month, Minaya said. He added the Mets probably would not have made the trade if Easley had not been injured.
Conine won World Series titles with Florida in 1997 and 2003. He plans to retire after this season, and was delighted to spend the last months of his final season in contention.
“My initial thought is: First place,” Conine said, in the Reds clubhouse. “I get to go back to another pennant race.”
The Reds acquired shortstop Jose Castro and outfielder Sean Henry, who were playing in Class A.

marcshoe
08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
The Reds actually got older. Conine's 41, the combined age of the two players is 42.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
The Mets got younger, though. They cut Julio Franco earlier this year.

Rojo
08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
A couple of little dudes! Where's the beef! :)

Rem

That's probably why we got two of them.

redsmetz
08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
I didn't see it as bashing Conine. I saw it as bashing the mindset that thought he, somehow, made a difference on this team and was willing to waste $2M on him. Nothing against Jeff. It was simply a bad fit and a bad management decision.

Rem

I don't know anyone who believed that Conine "made a difference" - I think many who supported acquiring him recognized that he and Hatteberg together were a decent stopgap to our future at 1st base - Joey Votto. I think he performed well and we'll see what we've received for sending him to the Mets.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2007, 06:03 PM
I think the main beef with people was the mangers batting Conine 4th

BRM
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Henry was drafted as a SS and started transitioning to OF last year.

RichRed
08-20-2007, 06:06 PM
A couple of little dudes!

Small ball.

RedsManRick
08-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Now the Mets just need to get Reggie Sanders and Robert Horry they're all set.

TOBTTReds
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM

For real? He swung at every pitch.

RichRed
08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
For real? He swung at every pitch.

But he DID get paid for it, so technically...

top6
08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I am happy that Conine was traded - both for myself and for him.

VR
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Small ball.

Marty and Jeff have convinced Krivsky that 9 Norris Hoppers would make this team World Series contenders.

nate
08-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Marty and Jeff have convinced Krivsky that 9 Norris Hoppers would make this team World Series contenders.

Really?

KronoRed
08-20-2007, 06:41 PM
I sure hope Marty and Jeff aren't running this team, the 62 Mets would be happy though ;)

WVRedsFan
08-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I chuckled when the two talking heads on TV, Pic and another, I forget who, were gushing over the "promising young players" the Reds got. They couldn't be too promising if they gave them up for a rent-a-player who is 41 and retiring at the end of the season.

spin doctors.

MartyFan
08-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Reds trade Conine to Mets
08/20/2007 5:57 PM ET
MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds Executive Vice President and General Manager Wayne Krivsky today announced the acquisition of SS Jose Castro and OF Sean Henry from the New York Mets in exchange for IF/OF Jeff Conine.

IF/OF Jorge Cantu will be recalled from Louisville to take Conine's spot on the roster. Castro and Henry will be assigned to Class AA Chattanooga.

Castro, 20, this season batted .318 with 2 HR, 25 RBI and 7 stolen bases for Class A St. Lucie. He ranked second in the Florida State League in batting average.

Henry, who turned 22 on Wednesday, hit .293 with 26 doubles, 7 triples, 11 HR, 57 RBI and 18 stolen bases in 114 games at St. Lucie. He is tied for first in the FSL in hits (132) and tied for third in triples.

Conine, 41, this season for the Reds hit .265 with 6 HR and 32 RBI in 80 games and 50 starts for the Reds.

Cantu, 25, on July 28 was acquired from the Devil Rays, along with OF Shaun Cumberland and cash, in exchange for RHP Calvin Medlock, LHP Brian Shackelford and future considerations. In 24 games at Class AAA Louisville he hit .309 with 2 HR and 13 RBI.

I know those numbers are in Class A but all in all, that's a pretty good return for "Young Body", don't you think?

These are the sort of deals I think?

Sea Ray
08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I know those numbers are in Class A but all in all, that's a pretty good return for "Young Body", don't you think?

That's about what I figured they'd get for Conine. That works for me. Sounds like two athletic guys and they're not 25 years old playing in A ball either.
I heard on 1530 HOMER that they'll be sent to AA Chattanooga. Not bad to get two AA guys in their early 20s for Conine.

Heath
08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Those prospects from the Mets might have upside.

Wow. Way to go.

vaticanplum
08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Both of the prospects are very small. Wonder if they've gone through puberty?

Scrappy. The word is scrappy.

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2007, 07:30 PM

Henry definitely looks interesting. Not a bad return at all.

redsmetz
08-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Is it just me, or is anyone else thinking there might have been some competition for Conine's services - that seems like a decent return. The only thing that makes me think otherwise was Krivsky's comment about the Mets waiting to open a spot for Conine.

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Actually a better return than I expected.

Both players have a shot at being major league players at some point. Obviously neither is great, but they are both breathing in a system with crappy depth.

MrCinatit
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
This was the best the Reds could hope for out of Conine - a desperation move by a contender.
And, really, getting a couple of youngsters for him isn't too bad.

KronoRed
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
If Conine was in such demand it's odd that he passed waivers

redsmetz
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
I posted this in the minor league forum, but here's a blurb from the Treasure Coast Palm which covers Port St. Lucie:

PORT ST. LUCIE — The New York Mets made a trade on Monday that could affect whether the St. Lucie Mets make the postseason.

St. Lucie Mets outfielder Sean Henry and shortstop Jose Castro were traded for Cincinnati Reds first baseman Jeff Conine. It's a move that could help the organization at the major league level but hurts St. Lucie's bid for the postseason.

“They're a big part of our ball club, but this is a great opportunity for them and it helps the organization at the major league level,” St. Lucie manager Frank Cacciatore said.

Castro, 20, packed his bags for the move while St. Lucie took the field on Monday.

“I feel sad, but I feel happy,” Castro said. “I'm sad because the Mets gave me a chance, but Cincinnati wants me, so that's good.

“It's hard. I hoped to play with my team, but that's baseball.”

Castro was batting .318 in 77 games and will be pushed up to Double-A Chattanooga, according to minorleaguebaseball.com. Henry, 22, batted .293 with 11 home runs and 18 steals.

Wheelhouse
08-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Tell ya what, 9 Adam Dunns wouldn't either.

deltachi8
08-20-2007, 08:14 PM

shocking never heard that before either.

Always Red
08-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Yes, that would be terrible if the entire team had a 37.2% OBP, slugged .557 and OPS'd .929....:eek:

BTW, that OBP would lead the NL (team category) by 20 points, that slugging % would lead the NL by an exactly even 100 points, and the OPS by 109 points.

But, you're probably right, more guys like Dunn would hurt this team. :confused:

I'm not saying I'd like 9 guys like Dunn out on the field, but I sure would like to have two or three like him on my team.

nate
08-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes, that would be terrible if the entire team had a 37.2% OBP, slugged .557 and OPS'd .929....:eek:

BTW, that OBP would lead the NL (team category) by 20 points, that slugging % would lead the NL by an exactly even 100 points, and the OPS by 109 points.

But, you're probably right, more guys like Dunn would hurt this team. :confused:

I'm not saying I'd like 9 guys like Dunn out on the field, but I sure would like to have two or three like him on my team.

They'd be playing their DS and smiling too much to win.

Probably hate kittens too.

jojo
08-20-2007, 08:17 PM

You don't want Dunn at shortstop? :cool:

Always Red

Nah, I'll take Kepp...and Gonzo. ;)

Danny Serafini
Dunn on the mound would be amusing! Then again, he might fare better than Dumatrait at this point.

Always Red
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Dunn on the mound would be amusing! Then again, he might fare better than Dumatrait at this point.

better than Dumatrait??:D

Eric_Davis
08-20-2007, 08:19 PM

It's not a given to pick up the option. He's going to be a Type-B player and the REDS will receive a supplemental 1st Round pick after someone signs him to a free-agent contract, which someone surely will.

I wouldn't mind having Hatteberg on the team, but Votto needs to be starting against all Right-handers next year (Votto can't hit Left-handers worth a lick in AAA, so he'll suck even more against them in the Majors). If Hatteberg's on the roster, he'll only impede the progress of Votto next year by starting against Right-Handers as much, if not more than Votto next year.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 08:30 PM
It's not a given to pick up the option. He's going to be a Type-B player and the REDS will receive a supplemental 1st Round pick after someone signs him to a free-agent contract, which someone surely will.

I believe Hatteberg would have to reject arbitration for the Reds to receive type-B compensation. I hope that's what happens because I don't think the Reds would be able to trade him for anything of value equal to the draft pick.

PuffyPig
08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I believe Hatteberg would have to reject arbitration for the Reds to receive type-B compensation. I hope that's what happens because I don't think the Reds would be able to trade him for anything of value equal to the draft pick.

If he accepted arbitration, he would get alot more money than the $1.85M option price.

Zero chance he would be offered arbitration if we don't pick up the option.

IMO, there's zero chance we don't pick up the option, even if it's just to trade him. Because arbitration is not an option.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, Wayne Krivsky seems to keep a good rapport with the players, so perhaps Way-K would talk to Had-a-Mountain and agree for Hatteberg to decline arbitration. I really doubt it, but stranger things have happened (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=175578&section=Columnists&columnist=Curtis%20Eriksmoen).

GAC
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Dunn on the mound would be amusing!

Never happen - I heard he has a fear of heights. :D

Watching Adam out in LF, and ESPECIALLY running the bases (like the other night), has made me realize Adam chose the right sport (baseball over football).

To think this guy, at one time, was entertaining being a pro QB???

No way. :lol:

redsmetz
08-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Well, Dunn has done his share of chucking a ball - it might even help if it had a spiral on it!

Caveat Emperor
08-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Actually a better return than I expected.

Seriously! They're both actually living, breathing baseball players.

Blitz Dorsey
08-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Votto could save a lot of problems here if he was just a switch-hitter. What was he thinking when he was 4 and learning how to swing a bat? Way to think ahead Joey! It's almost as if he had no clue the Reds would need a RHH first baseman right now.

Honestly, I always think the L-L, R-R thing is overrated. It wouldn't kill me to see Hatteberg and Votto as the first basemen next year. I know, not ideal, but I don't want to go out and sign a RHH 1B just for the hell of it like Conine this year (even though Conine was pretty solid). I am just saying if Hatteberg and Votto are both good hitters, let's go with them and forget about the L vs. L for a year. Votto doesn't hit lefties well, but maybe Hatte will if we give him a chance.

remdog
08-21-2007, 12:50 AM
I like Hatty on the bench next year. Great knowledge and sets a terrific example on how to approach an AB. You are always going to need a solid LH bat off the bench. If Votto isn't ready, Hat steps in and gives him some time. (shrug)

A right-handed bat at first is pretty easy to find: Keppinger, Cantu, even guys like EdE and Valintin (he laughed) could stand over there and look like they know what they are doing. ;)

Rem

Ron Madden
08-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Will these two Prospects pay off?

Who Knows? At least they have an upside. :thumbup:

Poor Marty, he must be heartbroken.

MartyFan
08-21-2007, 04:14 AM

Could you imagine how many errors he could rack up there?

:doh:

camisadelgolf
08-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Could you imagine how many errors he could rack up there?

:doh:

He has to get to the balls to make errors on them.

Ron Madden
08-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Why do I feel like I'm in the Reds radio booth?

:scared: :barf:

MartyFan
08-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Why do I feel like I'm in the Reds radio booth?

:scared: :barf:

Because you're having hallucination's?

I rarely listen to the games, only catch up with them the next day...I grew up loving to listen to Marty but that has a little to do with my name but the fact is my real name is Marty...so, I am a fan of the Reds and my name is Marty so there you have the genius behind my screen name.

the entire thread is a joke after the 9 Dunn's on the field thought...lighten up a little bit...it's baseball.

bucksfan2
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Here is what I like about this deal. When Conine was first traded for I didn't like the deal at all. However he has done nothing to embarass himself or the club. He has basically played solid baseball to the extent of what everyone expected out of him. He was not a defensive liability and the reds got a little more than half a year of service out of him and then moved him for two prospects. I would assume that leading the FSL in hitting isn't such a bad thing to get in return for a 41 year old player.

As for Hatty he is cheap next year and that is the sole reason I see the reds keeping him. Votto has earned the right to play here next year. I see no reason that Hatty should get much more than a spot start to spell Votto at times next year. The thing with Hatty is you could replace his production with the likes of Belhorn or Cantu without losing much. I like Hatty and think he does a good job but right now I just think he is very replaceable and the reds should do their best to get the most out of him along with giving one of their top prospects a chance at the bigs.

Heath
08-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Here is what I like about this deal. When Conine was first traded .

That's all I need to know about liking this deal.

bucksfan2
08-21-2007, 09:05 AM
That's all I need to know about liking this deal.

Maybe i need to rephrase. When conine was first traded for. I forget who the reds gave up for him but I dont think he was that big of a prospect.

lollipopcurve
08-21-2007, 09:35 AM

I was impressed with Conine, just like I was with Randa and Aurilia (after he started hitting). I think the Reds have done well the last couple of years with these vets -- something I would not have anticipated.

I wish Conine would have got to 2,000 hits -- but it tells you something about him that he'd rather go train for ironman competitions than hang around to get the handful of hits he'll need.

Good luck to him -- hope he notches a big hit or two down the stretch.

dfs
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Good Wayne showed up again.

Seriously, getting a 20 year old shortstop who can hold his own offensively in high A ball for a couple weeks of Jeff Conine is a STEAL. As reds fans we should be doing cartwheels over that. The extra player is just gravy.

Benihana
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Good Wayne showed up again.

Seriously, getting a 20 year old shortstop who can hold his own offensively in high A ball for a couple weeks of Jeff Conine is a STEAL. As reds fans we should be doing cartwheels over that. The extra player is just gravy.

agreed, this is an incredible return for one month of jeff conine

Cooper
08-21-2007, 12:03 PM
That was a good trade. FSL is tough to hit in. They both held their own.

VR
08-21-2007, 12:16 PM
That was a good trade. FSL is tough to hit in. They both held their own.

I think this is the exact kind of trade Wayne envisioned when signing Conine/ Stanton/ Weathers/ Cormier et al to the contracts he did. Have some leverage to pick up prospects.

If Stanton had done anything this year... he would have been a major chip.

MartyFan
08-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I think this is the exact kind of trade Wayne envisioned when signing Conine/ Stanton/ Weathers/ Cormier et al to the contracts he did. Have some leverage to pick up prospects.

I entirely agree...instead, everyone is hurt, overused or slumping and he has to take a bath in it.

redsmetz
08-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Thank you! I've been trying to say this for ever and never quite made it so concise as you have.

Certainly it's always a gamble and sometimes it doesn't pay off (hence Cormier being a total bust), but I think that's been the purpose of these sort of signings or trades, as you stated it so well.

joshnky
08-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Have some leverage to pick up prospects.

You mean like he did with Weathers.... oh, wait, maybe not. The leverage theory is decent but these players ultimately were picked up to make this team better and they failed. If it was only for trade purposes Weathers would be playing for a contender right now.

nate
08-21-2007, 02:23 PM
You mean like he did with Weathers.... oh, wait, maybe not. The leverage theory is decent but these players ultimately were picked up to make this team better and they failed. If it was only for trade purposes Weathers would be playing for a contender right now.

I think these players were picked up to:

*fill out the roster until younger players are ready or can be acquired
*use to trade for younger players
*keep if they turn out to be good
*teach the youngsters

Doesn't always turn out all Kittens and Rainbows but the Conine deal, right now, looks good. We won't know for a couple few years if Henry and Castro will make a difference but for now, it looks like a good deal.

Sea Ray
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Thank you! I've been trying to say this for ever and never quite made it so concise as you have.

Certainly it's always a gamble and sometimes it doesn't pay off (hence Cormier being a total bust), but I think that's been the purpose of these sort of signings or trades, as you stated it so well.

The difference is Cormier and Stanton were signed to multiyear contracts. That hurts their value. It'd much more palatable for a team to take a flier on Stanton if they weren't stuck with him for next year. WK's mistake was not signing these guys, it was the two year commitment. Ditto for Juan Castro

Sea Ray
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Doesn't always turn out all Kittens and Rainbows but the Conine deal, right now, looks good. We won't know for a couple few years if Henry and Castro will make a difference but for now, it looks like a good deal.

If these players help Chattanooga win in the playoffs it was worth trading Conine...(not to mention the $$ savings)

nate
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
If these players help Chattanooga win in the playoffs it was worth trading Conine...(not to mention the $$ savings)

Yeah, but what about the Reds' Racquetball and Trivial Pursuit Baby Boomers edition tourney?

RichRed
08-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, but what about the Reds' Racquetball and Trivial Pursuit Baby Boomers edition tourney?

That's why Stanton's still around.

redsmetz
08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
The difference is Cormier and Stanton were signed to multiyear contracts. That hurts their value. It'd much more palatable for a team to take a flier on Stanton if they weren't stuck with him for next year. WK's mistake was not signing these guys, it was the two year commitment. Ditto for Juan Castro

Actually Cormier was NOT a two year deal. To get him to waive his no trade rights, we had to negotiate an extension for 2007. I've said all along that I thought we did it believing we could move him this season (or during the off-season last year). The market for Cormier was not there, hence we gambled and lost.

I think the same is true of Stanton. I have no idea what the market actually was, but one, the club has expected better performance out of Stanton and had that happened, he would have been more marketable. As it is, we'll have to see if he's marketable later. He may well not be and then, that is another gamble taken and lost.

I agree though with the earlier poster who said he believed some of the deals were made expecting to be able to flip them later. Ya win some, ya lose some - right now, potentially we've lost more than we've won (but then, that's the story of this season, isn't it?).

dfs
08-21-2007, 04:45 PM

The problem with this is that if they had offered the mets what they paid Cormier simply for the high A ball players....they would have had takers.

Why fart around with the middleman if you want to rebuild your farm system by paying money? Seriously for what the reds have paid Mike Stanton, don't you think they could have just given that money to a team for a couple of AA level players? And then we wouldn't have had to watch Mike Stanton give up the long ball all year long.

Unassisted
08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
The problem with this is that if they had offered the mets what they paid Cormier simply for the high A ball players....they would have had takers.

Why fart around with the middleman if you want to rebuild your farm system by paying money? Seriously for what the reds have paid Mike Stanton, don't you think they could have just given that money to a team for a couple of AA level players? And then we wouldn't have had to watch Mike Stanton give up the long ball all year long.

IIRC, MLB won't approve deals that amount to trading players for cash only. Cash can be part of a swap, but it can't be either side's sole contribution to a swap.

RedsManRick
08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
If you want to gamble with a few million bucks, why not just draft a guy who slipped and sign him above slot instead? At least there's serious upside there.

puca
08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Or sign a top latin american prospect or two

REDREAD
08-21-2007, 09:03 PM
If you want to pick up veterans as future trade bait, then Wayne missed the boat.

He didn't sign marketable players. Stanton isn't remotely marketable, and could not be expected to be. Likewise with Cormier.. All these vets were designed to push us over the top this year.

Heck, Wayne resisted trading Weathers, his most marketable veteran, because he refused to believe he needed to rebuild.

While this Conine trade was good, his acquision strategy has generally been a disaster.

As a final point, he could've taken the money he signed Stanton for and poured it into the draft. That would've guaranteed him more young talent than we could ever dream of trading Stanton for. There's always guys that slip in the draft, or high round talent that can be picked late and bribed not to go to college.

REDREAD
08-21-2007, 09:06 PM
IIRC, MLB won't approve deals that amount to trading players for cash only. Cash can be part of a swap, but it can't be either side's sole contribution to a swap.

Sure, they can trade players for cash.

Fred McGriff was traded from Atlanta to Tampa for cash.
I'm sure there's other examples as well.
I think if the cash is above a certain amount, the commish needs to approve, but it's fine to trade a player for cash only.

Gabe White might've been traded to the yanks for cash only, I'm not 100% sure on that.

Also, at one time Bowden was going to sell Reds' prospect Farfan to the Red Sox for 1 million dollars in order to have the cash to make another acquision. The deal fell through, but it shows that it's possible.

redsmetz
08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
If you want to pick up veterans as future trade bait, then Wayne missed the boat.

He didn't sign marketable players. Stanton isn't remotely marketable, and could not be expected to be. Likewise with Cormier.. All these vets were designed to push us over the top this year.

Heck, Wayne resisted trading Weathers, his most marketable veteran, because he refused to believe he needed to rebuild.

While this Conine trade was good, his acquision strategy has generally been a disaster.

As a final point, he could've taken the money he signed Stanton for and poured it into the draft. That would've guaranteed him more young talent than we could ever dream of trading Stanton for. There's always guys that slip in the draft, or high round talent that can be picked late and bribed not to go to college.

I don't think there's any question that last season, acquisitions were made to push us over the top (e.g. Cormier), but I don't think either Stanton or Conine were acquired for that purpose. They may have made some pretension that such was the case, but no one truly expected this club to compete this year. From last year until this year, I suggested they were hoping to field a nominally competitive team. Certainly they failed in that, but I continue to notice that we've given up NO top prospects in acquiring players. And gradually as this season has progressed, we have stockpiled a significantly better caliber of player throughout our minor league system. It is much improved, IMO.

Again, I say right up front that some of these acquisitions of veteran players did not pan out, whether on the field for us or as a part of a trade. You win some, you lose some. I think this club is gradually developing better players and that will ultimately pay off.

edabbs44
08-21-2007, 10:15 PM
If you want to gamble with a few million bucks, why not just draft a guy who slipped and sign him above slot instead? At least there's serious upside there.

Amen!

nate
08-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Oh, that's why he didn't get traded? Its not that Weathers has not only been good, but he's a good coach for the bevy of younger players down there?

Or maybe other teams weren't offering anything for him?

Sometimes its worth keeping a good veteren. They're not all worthless.

I believe the Reds signed a good number of their draft picks this year.

Sea Ray
08-22-2007, 09:32 AM

I don't know about that. In his short time here he's acquired such good young players as Burton, Hamilton, Phillips and Keppinger. Bray may eventually prove to be a valuable acquisition. Arroyo has been a solid veteran acquisition. Others have also contributed such as Hopper, Ross and Gonzo.

I think that's a pretty good return on a year and a half on the job.

westofyou
08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh, that's why he didn't get traded? Its not that Weathers has not only been good, but he's a good coach for the bevy of younger players down there?

I hear he also has naked pictures of the Reds Front Office.

pedro
08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
from bp...

They got bodies for Conine, but they got bodies with value, and that's something that reflects pretty well on Wayne Krivsky, especially given Conine's increasingly slender value in any context at any position. Only 22, Henry's relatively promising, and hitting .293/.355/.456 in the High-A Florida State League is actually pretty impressive. The question for him, as it is with so many outfielders, is whether he's a center fielder or a tweener, because that can be the difference between his having a career as a regular or having to drift from one opportunity to the next. If the converted shortstop can really pan out as a center fielder, then this could potentially end up being an ugly-looking steal for the Reds, where people ask whatever it was that Omar Minaya was smoking. That's not that unusual for Minaya; most of you should remember Minaya's dealing away Grady Sizemore, Jason Bay, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips in 2002, effectively netting a couple of months with Bartolo Colon in his rotation, then turning Colon into Rocky Biddle (“Who?” “Exactly.”), Jeff Liefer (Who's replacement-level cousin), and perhaps as much as eight months' worth of the engaging banter and dinner conversation of an entirely injured Orlando Hernandez. So, when Omar puts a premium on something you've got, why ask why?

If Henry can't handle center, then you get into asking whether or not a guy built like a dancer—5'10” and an ascetic's 150-odd pounds—can get past a lot of ingrained bias within the industry. He might not be all bad—the world has people like Randy Winn and Jay Payton starting in outfield corners, after all—but if the 5'9” and 170+ pounder Jim Wynn was the Toy Cannon, I guess that might make Henry sort of the Toy Shotgun. If the exchange was simply one-for-one, that would have been fine, but Krivsky got a third-rate shortstop prospect as well, which is worth more than it sounds. Castro's a diminutive slap-hitter with no power, lamentable speed, and useful enough defensive skills, but he's only 20, and if Tony Pena Jr. ends up being an asset because he can actually field short well enough that his bat is survivable, then it isn't inconceivable to suggest at least that much for Castro.

camisadelgolf
08-25-2007, 05:18 AM
I love Wayne Krivsky and always have ever since he released Josh Hancock and signed Scott Hatteberg. This was just another reason to do so.