PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Conine Traded to Mets

reds44
08-20-2007, 04:15 PM
The New York Mets are on the verge of acquiring utility player Jeff Conine from the Cincinnati Reds for two Class-A position players, according to Major League sources.

Conine will serve as a right-handed hitter off the bench, filling in at first base and possibly the outfield.

He will be a replacement for infielder Damion Easley, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday with a sprained left ankle, .

The Mets pursued Conine before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but he was not considered a top priority at the time.

Conine is batting .265 with six home runs and 32 RBIs in 80 games this season for the Reds.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7139452

Muggerd
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
repost

captainmorgan07
08-20-2007, 04:20 PM
that answers why cantu was called up. Conine did a servicable job against lefties read in articles where he's prolly not playing past this season.

reds44
08-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Keppinger gets the time at 1st vs. LHP when/if Gonzalez comes back.

For now, Cantu can have it.

kaldaniels
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Not the player I wanted to the Reds to go after this past year...however he is simply a quality vet even though in the twilight of his career...I fully expect him to have at least one big base knock in the playoffs for the Metropolitans....good luck Jeff.

BLEEDS
08-20-2007, 04:38 PM
He made some great plays at 1B the other night vs. the Cubbies.

I respect the guy, but he's not the guy you want batting behind Dunn.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CincinnatiKid
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Good luck Jeff

Jay Bruce
08-20-2007, 04:50 PM
If we get anything back could could potentially become a spare down the road, I'll be happy. That said, he has had a solid career, and I hope he does well for the Mets.

Vada Pinson Fan
08-20-2007, 05:14 PM
No solid proof of the trade yet but I'll post this anyway: Can't say enough good things about Jeff Conine! It was an honor to have "Mr. Marlin" on our beloved Reds team! Good Luck in New York with the Mets, Jeff. I hope you have a great post-season run and cap off your fine MLB career with another ring!

Best Wishes,
Vada Pinson Fan

Muggerd
08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
The Reds got shortstop Jose Castro and outfielder Sean Henry in the deal. Both were playing for St. Lucie on the Florida State League. Both will report to Double-A Chattanooga. Castro, 20, was hitting .318 with two home runs and 25 RBI. Henry, 22, was hitting .293 with a 11 home runs and 57 RBI. Both are small -- Castro is 5-8, 160 pounds; Henry 5-10, 154 pounds.

Degenerate39
08-20-2007, 05:53 PM
The Reds got shortstop Jose Castro and outfielder Sean Henry in the deal. Both were playing for St. Lucie on the Florida State League. Both will report to Double-A Chattanooga. Castro, 20, was hitting .318 with two home runs and 25 RBI. Henry, 22, was hitting .293 with a 11 home runs and 57 RBI. Both are small -- Castro is 5-8, 160 pounds; Henry 5-10, 154 pounds.

I hope Jose Castro has no relation with Juan Castro.

Prf15
08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Wow, we got more than I expected. This Henry looks to be a decent prospect. Both him and Castro are batting near or over .300.

Henry's stats (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Sean%20Henry&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=445162)

Castro's stats (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jose%20Castro&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=452765)

I give Wayne a thumbs up on this deal.:thumbup:

Muggerd
08-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Yea i think we got some decent guys back for Conine as well

texasdave
08-20-2007, 06:01 PM
According to this article, Henry is transitioning from ss to cf.

St. Lucie Mets' Henry finds success at leadoff
ERIC PFAHLER
eric.pfahler@scripps.com
Monday, June 18, 2007

PORT ST. LUCIE When St. Lucie Mets second baseman Emmanuel Garcia got hurt in late April, manager Frank Cacciatore opted to put outfielder Sean Henry in the leadoff spot.
STORY TOOLS
E-mail story
Comments
iPod friendly
Printer friendly
More Pro Baseball
Devil Rays' Baldelli on rehab assignment with Vero team
Florida State League: Devil Rays control Manatees
Mets slam into 1st place
Share and Enjoy [?]
Six weeks later even after Garcia has returned that decision has stuck.

"It's fun," Henry said. "You get more at-bats than anybody on the team, so there's more chances of getting a hit than anybody else. I like those chances."

Henry also is seeing a lot more pitches since batting .231 in April, which has allowed him to be a more effective hitter. He has raised his average to .281 and maintained power Henry has a team-high seven home runs while staying patient at the plate.

"I've learned that you need to take pitches, take strikes, especially in a long inning or even just leading off," Henry said. "You've just got to learn how to take pitches to help your 2-3-4-5 (hitters), you know, down in the order to see some pitches."

Though Henry had batted as a leadoff hitter before, doing it day in and day out is a new trick. But Henry is hitting better out of the top spot.

"During the beginning of this season, I'd go up there and swing at the first pitch," Henry said. "Let's say if I got out or let's say if I got a hit, I'm not helping my teammates that much, so that's one thing that I've worked on."

Henry made an even bigger transition in the outfield. The 21-year old had split time as an infielder and an outfielder throughout his career, but the Florida State League has bigger stadiums and more ground to cover.

"Every field in this league is huge," Henry said. "That's one thing that's really different for me because I'm used to taking less than 10 steps back and I'm at the fence. Whereas here, I could take 15 steps back and I'm on the warning track."

Prf15
08-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I would've liked to see some Starting Pitching but I am surprised we got two decent looking prospects. I just wanted Conine traded.

reds44
08-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Wow, we got more than I expected. This Henry looks to be a decent prospect. Both him and Castro are batting near or over .300.

Henry's stats (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Sean%20Henry&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=445162)

Castro's stats (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jose%20Castro&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=452765)

I give Wayne a thumbs up on this deal.:thumbup:
We got two guys for Conine. Both look like they can kind of hit.

Nice trade.

boognish
08-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Way to get it done, Wayne. Two warm bodies would have been more than I expected, but adding legitimate position player depth to the minors is really nice.

Good move.

Chi-Town Red
08-20-2007, 06:44 PM
great trade...but why is Votto still rotting in AAA?

AmarilloRed
08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I think we all wanted Conine traded to make room for Votto. I never considered the possibility that someone else would be called up when Conine was traded. It seems Votto will have to wait until at least September. It would send a really bad sign if the Reds would pick up Hatteberg's option and leave Votto at AAA.

I do like the trade, if I didn't make that clear sooner. It seems we got 2 good low-level prospects for Conine. I just wish we were seeing Votto now instead of Cantu.

Chi-Town Red
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
the only thing i can think is that Votto might be getting groomed for LF with the departure of Dunn.

HokieRed
08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
I've like Jeff Conine through his whole career. I'm glad he's been in Cinti this year and wish him well with the Mets. The guys we got look ok, but I'd rather have had a solid A ball relief prospect.

Chi-Town Red
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
yea pitchers we need...OF we dont...but ya never know

Vada Pinson Fan
08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
yea pitchers we need...OF we dont...but ya never know

This may set up a trade with other teams that might have interest in these kids to give the Reds a different kind of chance to get some pitching help that the Jeff Conine trade didn't land for Cincinnati.

Very interesting though that Krivsky promoted both to Chattanooga. That tells me, for now, Krivsky is more inclined to have a long look at Castro and Henry. Either way- Good trade!

The Snow Chief
08-20-2007, 11:08 PM
This may set up a trade with other teams that might have interest in these kids to give the Reds a different kind of chance to get some pitching help that the Jeff Conine trade didn't land for Cincinnati.

Very interesting though that Krivsky promoted both to Chattanooga. That tells me, for now, Krivsky is more inclined to have a long look at Castro and Henry. Either way- Good trade!

Any word on Castro's glove. He does not have much power but if he can hit for a good average (like he is currently doing) and has an above average glove, he could be in competition to replace Gonzo in a couple years.

GoReds33
08-20-2007, 11:56 PM
:beerme:This is a great move. When I heard that Conine had passed through waivers I thought we might get some AAAA player. Though both of these guys are A ball guys they have pretty good stats.

stevekun
08-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Very nice trade....finally

Jr's Boy
08-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Krivsky got fleeced,minor league shortstop's and outfielder's are a dime a dozen.The Mets were in need of another bat after Easley went on the DL,not to mention Delgado can't stay healthy at first base.They could have traded us some pitching,I would'nt start praising Krivsky for a mediocre move.

captainmorgan07
08-21-2007, 12:48 PM
are u serious you think he got fleeced. He made a very nice trade here. Got some organizational depth and you never know these 2 could become servicable major league players. It wasn't like conine was gonna get us that much so just be happy with what we got.

Jr's Boy
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
While I admit fleeced was stretching it a bit,I believe the Mets could have come of a low A or AA starter.

Muggerd
08-21-2007, 03:04 PM
While I admit fleeced was stretching it a bit,I believe the Mets could have come of a low A or AA starter.

We traded a 41 year old pinch hitter for 2 minor leaguers. Its impossible to get ripped off when making a trade of a 41 year old that is retiring after the season.

UGADaddy
08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
We traded a 41 year old pinch hitter for 2 minor leaguers. Its impossible to get ripped off when making a trade of a 41 year old that is retiring after the season.

Agreed. We don't need Conine this year and he's retiring before this year. I think getting anything for him would have been nice, especially two formidable 20/22 year olds. I've seen the offensive stats, but does anyone know anything about either of their defensive abilities?

Muggerd
08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Agreed. We don't need Conine this year and he's retiring before this year. I think getting anything for him would have been nice, especially two formidable 20/22 year olds. I've seen the offensive stats, but does anyone know anything about either of their defensive abilities?

2 reports on the players

Castro had taken quite a leap forward this year, hitting .318/.363/.383 as a 20-year-old in the Florida State League. The 5-foot-8 switch-hitter has the glove to last at shortstop, so there's a chance he could make it to the majors someday. Still, neither prospect the Reds are getting here was ranked among the Mets' top 15 minor leaguers.

Henry, who turned 22 on Saturday, was hitting .293/.355/.456 with 11 homers and 18 steals for Single-A St. Lucie. He doesn't project to add much more power, so he figures to have a tough time making it to the majors as a reserve.

Screwball
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Krivsky got fleeced,minor league shortstop's and outfielder's are a dime a dozen.The Mets were in need of another bat after Easley went on the DL,not to mention Delgado can't stay healthy at first base.They could have traded us some pitching,I would'nt start praising Krivsky for a mediocre move.

Uhhh, what? Tell me you're joking. Jeff Conine has told anybody who would listen that he's retiring after this season. Krivsky gets two decent, young A players (who are technically AA players now) for what will be at most a 2 month rent-a-player whose line is .265/.320/.409/.729, and you claim he gets fleeced? That's laughable.

redsfanmia
08-21-2007, 08:30 PM

There is always a hater. Krivsky could trade Juan Castro to the Yankees for Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter with the Yankees paying the difference in the salaries and someone would complain that the Yankees didnt throw in Phil Hughes. Complaints about this trade are laughable.

Degenerate39
08-21-2007, 09:41 PM

Conine isn't even coming back next year so two average players are better than nothing.