PDA

View Full Version : Maloney Promoted to AAA

larks
08-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Just noticed that Matt Maloney has been added to the Bats roster. I would guess he is highly likely to start tomorrow night in Columbus in one of the DH games. Hope so at least since I will be going.

Matt700wlw
08-21-2007, 07:28 PM
That didn't take long...good to see!

larks
08-21-2007, 07:28 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=416&stn=true&sid=t416

Looks like Ramon Ramirez will be joining him as well. (nm looks like he is already there and I just missed it. Pitched Saturday 2 ip, 2h, 0 ER, 3K, good start!)

Kc61
08-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Question -- why move Cueto down and then Maloney up? If the idea is for Chatt to make the playoffs, shouldn't they both be at AA? Or, if the playoffs don't matter, shouldn't they both be at AAA?

I guess Cueto is younger and they want him in the AA stretch run. Maybe the Dumatrait thing lit a fire to get Maloney up faster. Whatever.

larks
08-21-2007, 07:41 PM
I wouldnt be suprised to see Maloney up in Cincy by the end of the summer. Philadelphia reportedly had Maloney as the next in line in for a rotation spot. Then again its also possible that this is a spot start and Maloney will be back in Chatt. as Wayne stocks the Lookouts for their playoff run.

DoogMinAmo
08-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Or this could be a spot start until Dumatrait gets back in the rotation...

Eric_Davis
08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I guess the 39-3 K/BB ratio in 4 starts was enough for management to see.

Of course, it wasn't the numbers they were looking at but how he physically looked like while pitching.

He'll run into more players that can hit the curve and the change in AAA, and everyone can hit the fastball. Should be interesting to see how he adjusts.

So, should he get about 3 starts in AAA and if he's called up about 3 in the Majors?

Hoosier Red
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
I think Doog hit it right on the head. He'll take the start Saarloos was probably supposed to take, then head back to AA, with Dumatrait re taking his rightful place.

AmarilloRed
08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I would keep Maloney at AAA and have Dumatrait at AA. I would prefer Dumatrait was out of the system, but I suppose I will have to settle for Dumatrait at Louisville.

11larkin11
08-22-2007, 06:31 AM
We should've sold high on Dumatrait, before he got to the majors.

Doc. Scott
08-22-2007, 11:21 AM
I would keep Maloney at AAA and have Dumatrait at AA. I would prefer Dumatrait was out of the system, but I suppose I will have to settle for Dumatrait at Louisville.

Why? Because of a few bad starts? That's an awful quick leap off the bandwagon.

bounty37h
08-22-2007, 11:52 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=416&stn=true&sid=t416

Looks like Ramon Ramirez will be joining him as well. (nm looks like he is already there and I just missed it. Pitched Saturday 2 ip, 2h, 0 ER, 3K, good start!)

I saw Ramon on Sunday, met him after the game and got an auto, seemed like a happy, nice kind of guy, young and stil lexcited by it all, maybe cause it was stil la new promotion for him as well. What can you guys tell me about him, saw his numbers so far, looks good for low sample.

Caveat Emperor
08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
We should've sold high on Dumatrait, before he got to the majors.

I think the book on Dumatrait was written well before he got to the majors.

Most, if not everyone, who follows the Reds minor leagues said Dumatrait was going to struggle at the ML level and that is exactly what he did. If everyone here can figure that out, you can bet the people being paid to do this for a living had a notion as well.

camisadelgolf
08-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Logically, based on statistics, Dumatrait was going to fall on his face. There's something I like about him that I can't quite put my finger on, though. I think that if he meets the right pitching coach, he could be a serviceable starter. I might even go so far as to predict a Bruce Chen-like career (but I won't :D).

Muggerd
08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Logically, based on statistics, Dumatrait was going to fall on his face. There's something I like about him that I can't quite put my finger on, though. I think that if he meets the right pitching coach, he could be a serviceable starter. I might even go so far as to predict a Bruce Chen-like career (but I won't :D).

Dumatrait has the stuff he just needs to get the control of it. If he never gets the control of a major league pitcher hes going to be quite upset at the end of his career.

Screwball
08-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm excited about this. I'm very interested to see how Maloney fares against stiffer competition. With all the talk about him having above average pitches yet no true out pitch, I'm curious as to how he'll do against the AAA hitters.

dougdirt
08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm excited about this. I'm very interested to see how Maloney fares against stiffer competition. With all the talk about him having above average pitches yet no true out pitch, I'm curious as to how he'll do against the AAA hitters.

I am very curious too. I have been one on the train that believes his strikeout rate will fall off. I hope he makes me look like a fool.

AmarilloRed
08-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Why? Because of a few bad starts? That's an awful quick leap off the bandwagon.

I was never on the Dumatrait bandwagon. I had hopes he would bea legitimate fifth starter who could replace Belisle in the short term. He had no control, however, and the strikes he threw were hit hard. He has good stuff, so I suppose if he could learn to locate his pitches he could be a legitimate starter in the future. He is getting old, however, and he has a lot of progress to make. As for Maloney, I hope he does well in the limited time he has at AAA.

GoReds33
08-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I have got to go see this guy pitch. I don't know how he all the sudden learned how to pitch when he came to the Reds. I won't question it though.

Doc. Scott
08-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I was never on the Dumatrait bandwagon. I had hopes he would bea legitimate fifth starter who could replace Belisle in the short term. He had no control, however, and the strikes he threw were hit hard. He has good stuff, so I suppose if he could learn to locate his pitches he could be a legitimate starter in the future. He is getting old, however, and he has a lot of progress to make. As for Maloney, I hope he does well in the limited time he has at AAA.

I was never on it either- Phil didn't miss bats in AAA or in previous years. There was little reason to believe it would suddenly change. But a lot of people on this board were because of a fancy W-L record and good ERA.

Try him in the bullpen. Decent breaking stuff and 15 years younger than Mike Stanton.