PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Cantu Can do!

topsyt
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Wow-lets hope the performance continues.

AmarilloRed
08-21-2007, 10:33 PM
A good start for Jorge Cantu.

Degenerate39
08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I'd rather see what Votto can do but I'm happy Cantu is on the team. He'll be a good bat off the bench and I hope he can adjust to 1st base.

captainmorgan07
08-21-2007, 10:40 PM
great start doesn't see a pitch he doesn't like i dont' think. If he can return to the numbers he had that monster year in tampa it will be a great steal for wayne.

Dunner44
08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Someone told Jorge that he couldn't hit. His response: Cantu!

*groan*

mroby85
08-21-2007, 11:23 PM
i thought the ball he hit with the bases loaded was headed for the seats, but the ball just didn't seem to be carrying there tonight.

CarolinaRedleg
08-21-2007, 11:26 PM
From his quotes, he seems genuinely happy to have the opportunity to contribute somewhat regularly again.

"Let's put it this way," he explained. "Tampa Bay just went in some other direction. I didn't fit in their plans. There was a lot of stuff going on. It was a real long year for me. I'm glad I'm with a team that respects what I've done in the Major Leagues and has confidence in me. That's why I'm here. All I want to do right now is everything possible to win and help my new teammates. Hopefully, they'll appreciate the hard work I'll put in."

And.....

"I put up decent numbers after that injury," he said. "I don't know what happened this year. In Spring Training, I guess I didn't stand a chance. That's part of the business. Right now I'm a Cincinnati Red, and I will do everything possible to help the team win."

It's way too early to call it, but Cantu seems like a good, low risk pickup by Krivs.

jmac
08-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Plus this team is headed toward a predominantly lefty position:Bruce, Hamilton,Votto,Dunn (?) Griffey .
A good RH bat will come in handy.

Homer Bailey
08-22-2007, 02:10 AM
HIP HIP.... JORGE!

redsupport
09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
he deserves a chance to start

mound_patrol
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
he deserves a chance to start

Where? if votto shows he cant hit lefties i let cantu start vs lefties

reds44
09-11-2007, 09:54 PM
He doesn't deserve a chance to start anywhere he could play. There are better options at all positions.

Degenerate39
09-11-2007, 09:54 PM
He doesn't have a place to start right now.

TheOnlyRedsFan
09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
if they keep everyone this year and they play like they have in the second have of this year
we will have a great starting lineup with a stacked bench for each game
that makes me a little exciting to get to next year

AmarilloRed
09-12-2007, 12:49 AM
I would expect to see Cantu as a bench player next year with some starts at 1B against tough lefties.

ChatterRed
09-12-2007, 08:30 AM
if they keep everyone this year and they play like they have in the second have of this year
we will have a great starting lineup with a stacked bench for each game
that makes me a little exciting to get to next year

What's their record since the All-Star Break? If it's above .500.............then I agree with you. If this team could figure out a decent starting rotation, either through trades, free agency or maturity of our farm system, and then add a couple of decent relievers............you are correct that they could win this division with the pathetic Cubs, Brewers and Cardinals. I actually look for the Pirates to be in contention next season.........they've looked better the second half too.

AmarilloRed
09-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Cantu had 3 doubles tonight. He is showing himself to be a good hitter, and I would expect him to be on the Reds bench next year at the very least, and possibly be in a platoon. He would be a starting position player if he can improve his defense. It is a very small sample size, but he has played well in AAA and Cincinnati since coming from Tampa Bay.

RedsMightWin
09-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Maybe we can get him in the OF?

Maldez
09-22-2007, 06:19 AM
The way he's swung the bat so far this year, I'd hate to see Cantu just be a bench player in '08. This guy can hit.

Prf15
09-22-2007, 01:50 PM
This is a awesome feeling. We got the likes of Cantu, Keppinger, and Hopper on our bench for 08.:beerme:

jnwohio
09-22-2007, 06:09 PM
This is a awesome feeling. We got the likes of Cantu, Keppinger, and Hopper on our bench for 08.:beerme:

Or more than likely a position starter is traded along with one of these guys for pitching making another of these guys a starter and the Reds end up with one of them on the bench plus the likes of Freel.

gedred69
09-22-2007, 06:44 PM
With Cantu looking like a steal, the great trade for Arroyo, the deal for now super-star Brandon Phillips, the roll of the dice on Burton, Hamilton (when he isn't on the DL), the pick-up of Keppinger, WK is looking like the ultimate bargain hunter. Isn't that why the Reds hired him? He was instrumental in building the enviable Twins Minor League system, and evaluating potential. All that aside, I'm wondering, where does Freel---one of my personal favorites---fit in next year?

AmarilloRed
09-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Freel will probably be a reserve outfielder next year. I would expect Keppinger will take the Super-Sub role Freel has previously held. Some think Freel will be traded, but I expect him to stay because of his contract.

Maldez
09-23-2007, 08:46 AM
With Cantu looking like a steal, the great trade for Arroyo, the deal for now super-star Brandon Phillips, the roll of the dice on Burton, Hamilton (when he isn't on the DL), the pick-up of Keppinger, WK is looking like the ultimate bargain hunter. Isn't that why the Reds hired him? He was instrumental in building the enviable Twins Minor League system, and evaluating potential. All that aside, I'm wondering, where does Freel---one of my personal favorites---fit in next year?

Yep. I'm a huge Wayne Krivsky fan. He's got an eye for talent that is second to none in the majors. Every other team in MLB had a shot at guys like Scott Hamilton and Brandon Phillips, but only Krivsky had the good sense and conviction to go after 'em.

Wayne is rebuilding the Reds franchise player by player, and I'm lovin' what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait for 2008 already !

redsupport
09-23-2007, 10:58 AM
yeah majewski is a real winner

redsfanmia
09-23-2007, 05:14 PM
:deadhorse:deadhorse
yeah majewski is a real winner

Let it die.

GoReds33
09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Yep. I'm a huge Wayne Krivsky fan. He's got an eye for talent that is second to none in the majors. Every other team in MLB had a shot at guys like Scott Hamilton and Brandon Phillips, but only Krivsky had the good sense and conviction to go after 'em.

Wayne is rebuilding the Reds franchise player by player, and I'm lovin' what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait for 2008 already !Scott Hamilton??? I think that's the second time I've seen that.:)

AmarilloRed
09-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Maybe they got Scott Hatteberg and Josh Hamilton confused?

Z-Fly
09-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Maybe we can get him in the OF?

Because we don't have a log jam in the outfield already? :confused:

AmarilloRed
09-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Because we don't have a log jam in the outfield already? :confused:

We will have a log jam next year assuming we pick up Dunn's option and Griffey plays his last year. After 2008 it gets dicey. We could have Griffey and Dunn gone in 2009, and only Bruce and Hamilton as starting outfielders. I like Hopper, but I am not willing to start him unless he consistantly hits .335 and learns to take a walk. I expect teams will learn to defense his bunt hits, and his BA will go down next year. Go back and look at Cantu's 2005 year with Tampa Bay. He did not show a very good OBP, but he had a good BA and showed plenty of power. It might be advisable for Cantu to learn to play the outfield next year. If he can regain his 2005 form and do that consistantly(which is always a question), he could be a starting position player.