PDA

View Full Version : Schilling, meet Bailey and Cueto

I(heart)Freel
08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
From CBS Sportsline:

Red Sox RHP Curt Schilling has spoken highly about Tampa Bay starters Scott Kazmir and James Shields, and on his weekly show on a Boston radio station said if an ideal situation came about he would consider joining the Devil Rays next year. "You know it's one of those situations you certainly look at," Schilling said. "If circumstances were to happen and they were to make some moves that were positive, I'd love nothing more than to finish my career working on a pitching staff where I know that there were young guys that were going to be positively impacted by me being around."

Perhaps the old man would be interested in mentoring a couple of young cats named Bailey and Cueto instead?

He's certainly not the stud he once was, but we could do (and have done) a lot worse in our rotation.

Carolina Red
08-23-2007, 11:18 AM
I think he would be the best FA pitcher we could go after but I have reservations tying up the kind of money he will command on someone who is that old and prone to injury. He's definately still one heckuva pitcher and he would be a great influence on our staff. I have to admit it would be fun to hear the buzz if we signed him though.

BEETTLEBUG
08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Harang, Schilling, aaroyo, Bailey, Cuteo what a starting FIVE

Orenda
08-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Wayne is an expert at tacking on a little "security" to attract aging pitchers. I think he can get it done

Jim
08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
His bloody socks would be a good match for a Reds uniform!

Muggerd
08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I would love to have schilling even if he is only healthy half the year

GoReds33
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I would love to have schilling even if he is only healthy half the year
Don't assume he'll be hurt. If he comes to the Reds he needs to be healthy all year. We don't have enough money for an oft-injured starter.:)

Muggerd
08-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Don't assume he'll be hurt. If he comes to the Reds he needs to be healthy all year. We don't have enough money for an oft-injured starter.:)
We need to find money for Schilling even if he is oft-injured

Vada Pinson Fan
08-23-2007, 02:39 PM
As a coach I would love to have Curt Schilling on the Reds but as an old, oft injured pitcher of late, I'll pass. Small market Reds need to be very careful with their $$$. Think longterm, like not having Jim Bowden and Lindner (back then when controlling the Reds) passing on a Scott Kasmir. A C.C. Sabathia. et.al.

Muggerd
08-23-2007, 02:48 PM
As a coach I would love to have Curt Schilling on the Reds but as an old, oft injured pitcher of late, I'll pass. Small market Reds need to be very careful with their $$$. Think longterm, like not having Jim Bowden and Lindner (back then when controlling the Reds) passing on a Scott Kasmir. A C.C. Sabathia. et.al.

Its really unfair to look back and say well they passed on this guy and that guy.

Redsfan08
08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Schilling could help us out a whole lot because he is coming fom the a.l.

Vada Pinson Fan
08-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Its really unfair to look back and say well they passed on this guy and that guy.

Unfair? It is, what it is. Nothing unfair about it b/c it factored into the poor farm system the current Reds regime has had to overcome. Credit also goes to former Reds GM O'Brien for drafting Bailey & Bruce among others.

GoReds33
08-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Don't forget Pujols. Everybody passed on him.:beerme:

Muggerd
08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Unfair? It is, what it is. Nothing unfair about it b/c it factored into the poor farm system the current Reds regime has had to overcome. Credit also goes to former Reds GM O'Brien for drafting Bailey & Bruce among others.

The reds passed on Derek Jeter also lets harp on that as well.

Degenerate39
08-24-2007, 12:53 AM
The reds passed on Derek Jeter also lets harp on that as well.

Didn't they have a man that went by the name Barry Larkin back then.

Muggerd
08-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Didn't they have a man that went by the name Barry Larkin back then.

So? They still passed on him. let's just harp on the few picks that multiple teams passed on. Didnt stop us from picking Pokey Resse the year before did it?