PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Reds Home Runs according to ESPN

cumberlandreds
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I saw a thread like this going on over in the Sun Deck and decided to start one here to get ORG's opinion. ESPN had the Reds greatest HR's on Baseball Tonight last night. I didn't know they were doing this or I would have watched. They list as their top three:

Tony Perez's Game 6 homer in the 1975 World Series
Johnny Bench's Game 5 homer in the 1972 NLCS
Ken Griffeys inside the park homer in 2001

I think I would reverse Perez's and Bench's homer. I think Bench's HR was the most clutch HR I have ever seen for the Reds. Reds down one run in the 9th against one of the better closers in the NL and on the brink of elimination. Can't get a lot better than that unless you named Mazeroski.

I honestly don't remember Griffey's HR as it came during a very bad time in my life and I wasn't paying much attention to baseball at that time.

What would your top three HR's be for the Reds?

Mine are:

Bench HR in game 5 of the 1972 NLCS
Perez's HR in Game 7 of the 1975 WS
Eric Davis's HR in Game one of the 1990 WS

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/daily?page=dd/070822

redsfan30
08-23-2007, 11:49 AM
The game where Junior hit the walkoff inside the park job was one of the wildest games I've ever seen, and possibly ever will.

Tons of wierd plays; the one I remember most being Wilton Guererro getting in a Cardinal baserunner's way between first and second (I think it was Fernando Vina, but I can't remember).

I remember the team was down two runs in the bottom of the 10th and Todd Walker and Kelly Stinnett his back-to-back homeruns to tie the game and send it to the 11th.

Junior's ball should have been caught...thank God it was Jimmy Edmonds in center and he did what he usually does. He started to stutter-step in order to make a "great" catch...he stutters, and jumps three feet from the wall, allowing the ball to fall harmlessly at the base of the wall and roll almost to the left field corner.

Joe's call on the radio was absolutely wonderful. I wish there was audio of it on the internet somewhere.

Don't ask me how I remember all that stuff...

BuckWoody
08-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Any discussion of greatest Reds' home runs must include Eric Davis' game one blast in the 1990 World Series. It proved that Dave Stewart and the A's were not invincible and set the tone for the eventual sweep.

redsfan30
08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh, and to answer your question...my top three would be:

1. Adam Dunn's walkoff grandslam...was there in person to see it and short of a playoff/World Series game at Great American, nothing will ever top that atmosphere.

2. Joe Randa's walkoff homerun on Opening Day 2005. Again, I was there and it's a day I'll remember for a long, long time.

3. Ken Griffey's inside-the-park walkoff homerun in 2001.

Those are my top three. I'm young.

BrooklynRedz
08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Any discussion of greatest Reds' home runs must include Eric Davis' game one blast in the 1990 World Series. It proved that Dave Stewart and the A's were not invincible and set the tone for the eventual sweep.

Yep.

Roy Tucker
08-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I'd go with Bench in the 72 NLCS, Perez in the 75 WS, and Davis in the 90 WS.

Johnny Bench and George Foster hit back to back homers in Game 3 of '76 NLCS to sweep the Phillies. The Reds were down 6-5 when Foster and Bench homered to lead off the top of the 9th at Philly.

Lots of regular season HRs are very exciting when they happen, but they don't matter as much.

Hal King's HR against the Dodgers in 1973 that turned a season was a biggie.

In late 1999, I recall Pokie Reese, Eddie Taubensee, and Chris Stynes hitting huge HRs to win games in dramatic fashion. August and September in 1999 were quite exciting (except for that last series against the Brewers and the subsequent play-in game against the Mets.

RedsBaron
08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Perez's game seven home run in the 1975 World Series is the greatest, most important home run in Reds history, and it isn't even close IMO. The Reds own yearbook this season makes the same argument.
If Perez does not hit that home run and instead makes out three, the Reds would have remained down 3-0 in game seven, with only 9 outs left. Yes, maybe the Reds would have still rallied to pull out the game, but as the game was actually played in those final three innings it was all the Reds could do to put two more runs on the board at Fenway Park. Without Perez's HR, the Reds quite probably would have lost game seven, 3-2, and the World Series.
What then? The Big Red Machine would have been 0 for 3 in the World Series, with losses in 1970, 1972 and 1975. They would have been branded as "chokers," as the team that "couldn't win the big one." Instead of trading Perez after 1976 and consecutive world titles, the Reds may have very well traded away Perez after the 1975 disappointment. Without Perez, its heart, maybe the 1976 team doesn't win it all, and even if it does, the 1970s Reds go down as just another team than won a single World Series.
Johnny Bench's 1972 HR in game five of the NLCS was the most dramatic in Reds history, but Perez's HR in game seven of the 1975 World Series was the most important.

fearofpopvol1
08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Perez's game seven home run in the 1975 World Series is the greatest, most important home run in Reds history, and it isn't even close IMO. The Reds own yearbook this season makes the same argument.
If Perez does not hit that home run and instead makes out three, the Reds would have remained down 3-0 in game seven, with only 9 outs left. Yes, maybe the Reds would have still rallied to pull out the game, but as the game was actually played in those final three innings it was all the Reds could do to put two more runs on the board at Fenway Park. Without Perez's HR, the Reds quite probably would have lost game seven, 3-2, and the World Series.
What then? The Big Red Machine would have been 0 for 3 in the World Series, with losses in 1970, 1972 and 1975. They would have been branded as "chokers," as the team that "couldn't win the big one." Instead of trading Perez after 1976 and consecutive world titles, the Reds may have very well traded away Perez after the 1975 disappointment. Without Perez, its heart, maybe the 1976 team doesn't win it all, and even if it does, the 1970s Reds go down as just another team than won a single World Series.
Johnny Bench's 1972 HR in game five of the NLCS was the most dramatic in Reds history, but Perez's HR in game seven of the 1975 World Series was the most important.

I agree completely.

And also, after Bonds broke the record, every team on MLB.com had the most important homerun to the team's history and that Perez homerun is the one that won out.

TOBTTReds
08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
It's tought to rank them, and thankfully, I've been VERY lucky to be at some great games. My top ones for games I have been at:

1. Dunn GS vs. Indians
2. Ross walk-off vs. Cards last year... PLAYOFFS BABY!...errr
3. Barry Larkin Walk-off, first AB back from DL. It was Disney-esque. Probably in 02?
4. Dunn/Randa opening day '05
5. Wily Mo BOMB for a walk-off on HIS bobble head day. I love me some Wily Mo.
6. Adam Dunn HR in Pittsburgh this year to go ahead in the 10th. It shut up some heckler near me.

Strikes Out Looking
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Hal King's July 1, 1973 3-run pinch hit home run.

remdog
08-23-2007, 02:08 PM
It's tought to rank them, and thankfully, I've been VERY lucky to be at some great games. My top ones for games I have been at:

1. Dunn GS vs. Indians
2. Ross walk-off vs. Cards last year... PLAYOFFS BABY!...errr
3. Barry Larkin Walk-off, first AB back from DL. It was Disney-esque. Probably in 02?
4. Dunn/Randa opening day '05
5. Wily Mo BOMB for a walk-off on HIS bobble head day. I love me some Wily Mo.
6. Adam Dunn HR in Pittsburgh this year to go ahead in the 10th. It shut up some heckler near me.

Newbie! :p:

Rem

remdog
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
My personal fav was the Bench HR in the '72 playoffs against the Bucs. It was the first year that I actually lived in Cincinnati after following the team for 16 years. I watched the game from my apartment in Highland Towers and when Johnny hit that blast I remember looking out of my window and watching the fireworks go off at Riverfront. Simply a fantastic moment.

I have to agree that Perez' HR in the '75 WS may very well have been the most significant HR hit in Reds history for all of the reasons RedsBaron laid out.

Another personal favorite was Perez' HR off Tom Seaver in the '73 playoffs to win the game 1-0. I was at that game and had the Reds won that series it might have gone down as a bigger HR and been the 'face' of that series instead of Rose and Harrelson going at it at second base.

The Hal King HR was a pivotal 'in season' blast and I remember where I was when it happened (in my kitchen brewing home-made cream sherry wine. :laugh:)

Rem

Johnny Footstool
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
For me, there's Eric Davis' 1990 Game 1 homer, then there's all the rest.

cumberlandreds
08-23-2007, 02:43 PM
For me, there's Eric Davis' 1990 Game 1 homer, then there's all the rest.

I revised my top three and put that one at number three. It set the tone for that WS. If Davis doesn't hit that HR I wonder if the Reds win it at all?

Heath
08-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I think Bench's game 4 HR in Yankee in '76 was pretty big. It was a nice ending to a great run of the BRM.

I thought Mariano Duncan's 3-run blast in Game 3 of the 1990 NLCS was big - it rolled into a Game 4 win and eventually a Series win.

I also would vote for Hal King.

Davis's was big in Game 1, but you could argue that Chris Sabo's 2-HR in Game 3 sent the message that the Reds would and could win in Oakland.

Benihana
08-23-2007, 03:06 PM
For me personally, the Davis homerun in Game 1 and the Dunn walkoff against the Indians are the two that would be the most memorable, but I wasn't around in the '70s.

top6
08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
pokey reese (i know) hit a walk off home run against the cardinals to win a game in late 1999. that was awesome - probably the best i've seen.

Johnny Footstool
08-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Davis's was big in Game 1, but you could argue that Chris Sabo's 2-HR in Game 3 sent the message that the Reds would and could win in Oakland.

Before Game 1, there was a ton of hype about the A's being one of the best teams ever and preparing to crush the hapless Reds. There was also talk about Davis being moved down in the batting order.

His HR went a long way towards establishing the ability of the Reds and of Davis himself. It was like a big middle finger to the media, the critics, and the rest of the baseball world. It was like an underdog coming into the first round of a heavyweight fight, landing a thunderous uppercut, and knocking the champ down for an 8-count.

Before that HR, there were serious doubts and worries that the Reds were going to roll over and die. For me at least, that HR erased them all.

After that, the Reds knew that they could win if they just played baseball like they knew how to play.

marcshoe
08-23-2007, 04:05 PM
'72 was my first year as a fan, and the Bench homer ranks number one for me. When I read the title of the thread the aforementioned Perez and Davis homers were the others that came to mind.

A personal favorite--the first game I attended, June 28, 1975.
Farmer's Night. Johnny Bench milked a cow and Kroger gave away a car. Tenth inning of a tie game with a runner on, George Foster sends everybody home.

George Anderson
08-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I would agree with most everyone here and say that Bench's HR in 1972 and the Davis HR in 1990 are the top two homers in franchise history. One of my favorite home runs though was the one Bench hit on "Johnny Bench Night" back in 1983. Things were so bleak and dismal back then that Bench's homerun was a rare bright moment to enjoy during very bleak days.

Caseyfan21
08-23-2007, 04:24 PM
pokey reese (i know) hit a walk off home run against the cardinals to win a game in late 1999. that was awesome - probably the best i've seen.

That's what I'd go with during my lifetime as well (being born in 1985). I wasn't around during the 1970's and I obviously don't remember anything from 1990. The Dunn GS was huge but it was just one game...not a playoff race or postseason homer.

One that's similar to Dunn's in that it meant nothing had to have been Larkin's first grand slam. I was at the game and it was pretty special.Griffey's in the parker, Randa's Opening Day winner, and Larkin's winner off the DL were all pretty cool as well.

KronoRed
08-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Dunn and Randa back to back to beat the Mets a few opening days ago.

why? because I was there :D

paulrichjr
08-23-2007, 04:28 PM
How Griffey's inside the park home run could outrank the Davis homerun, the Perez or even the Dunn one shows just how much effort they put into this.

The Bench homer on Bench night (forgot about it) was certainly one of the top homers of all time...again over Griffey's (I don't even remember this one)

coachw513
08-23-2007, 05:29 PM
In a season of Phil Dumatrait, Mike Stanton, Mark Bellhorn, Juan Castro and Kirk Saarloos, this thread is theraputic and good for a Reds fan's soul...

I was unable to ever see the Reds unless a playoff game or national TV on the NBC game of the week living in FLA, though as a youngster I could strain to the radio static of WLW beginning in the later evening and catch games (man, I had no life)...then in '99 streaming audio came into my world and eventually Direct TV last season...as a result the Top 20 HR chronologically will have some time gaps...I either heard, watched or in 1 case saw all of these...

1.'72 Playoffs Bench off of Pirates...the first incredibly big Reds HR I remember seeing/hearing
2.'73 Hal King vs Dodgers
3.'73 Pete Rose off the Mets in Game 4 extra innings vs Mets...the most defiant sprint around the bases you'll ever see
4.'74 Joe Morgan injured winning a huge Sat afternoon NBC game late summer versus the hated Dodgers...he limped around the bases after he hit it
5. '75 Perez HR in Game 7 vs BoSox
6. Foster '76 regular season vs Pirates...hit 2 HR...the only Reds game I ever had the chance to attend until 2003...
7. '76 Foster-Bench back to back vs Phillies in Game 3 NLCS
8. '76 Bench 2 HR in Game 4 vs Yankees
9. '83 Bench #389 on his "night"...made a point of trying to listen to WLW...somehow it came in clear enough to hear...it was exciting
10. EDavis '90 WS Game 1...I'm not sure that it's the single greatest momentum changing HR in Reds history...it was a giant b-slapping of the A's...
11. '95 Mark Lewis GS vs the Dodgers in the Playoffs...
12. Pokey Reese walkoff against the Cardinals in '99...it was in a pennant race and the call by the radio crew (it might have been Joe) was incredible..
13. '00 Griffey's 1st HR as a Red #399...end of Griffey's first week...he'd been struggling but crushed on against the Cubs at home...I think the next day in Colorado he hit #400
14. BLarkin's PH walkoff HR right off the DL...
15. Randa's walkoff in the opener (was it '04??) right behind ??'s HR...
16. Griffey's #500 vs Cardinals on Father's Day '04??...
17. Griffey's PH off the DL walkoff vs Washington I think, last year...
18. Dunn's GS vs Indians for walkoff last year...
19. Ross' walkoff vs Cardinals last year...I admit, I just KNEW we were playoff bound after that night (the night after the unbelieveable catch by Ryan Freel)...
20. Dunn's blast at NYM this year that broke the scoreboard...I'm amazed that didn't get more "play" because that was an unbelievable shot...

Seriously, thanks to CumberlandReds for getting this thread going...

cumberlandreds
08-24-2007, 06:56 AM
In a season of Phil Dumatrait, Mike Stanton, Mark Bellhorn, Juan Castro and Kirk Saarloos, this thread is theraputic and good for a Reds fan's soul...

I was unable to ever see the Reds unless a playoff game or national TV on the NBC game of the week living in FLA, though as a youngster I could strain to the radio static of WLW beginning in the later evening and catch games (man, I had no life)...then in '99 streaming audio came into my world and eventually Direct TV last season...as a result the Top 20 HR chronologically will have some time gaps...I either heard, watched or in 1 case saw all of these...

1.'72 Playoffs Bench off of Pirates...the first incredibly big Reds HR I remember seeing/hearing
2.'73 Hal King vs Dodgers
3.'73 Pete Rose off the Mets in Game 4 extra innings vs Mets...the most defiant sprint around the bases you'll ever see
4.'74 Joe Morgan injured winning a huge Sat afternoon NBC game late summer versus the hated Dodgers...he limped around the bases after he hit it
5. '75 Perez HR in Game 7 vs BoSox
6. Foster '76 regular season vs Pirates...hit 2 HR...the only Reds game I ever had the chance to attend until 2003...
7. '76 Foster-Bench back to back vs Phillies in Game 3 NLCS
8. '76 Bench 2 HR in Game 4 vs Yankees
9. '83 Bench #389 on his "night"...made a point of trying to listen to WLW...somehow it came in clear enough to hear...it was exciting
10. EDavis '90 WS Game 1...I'm not sure that it's the single greatest momentum changing HR in Reds history...it was a giant b-slapping of the A's...
11. '95 Mark Lewis GS vs the Dodgers in the Playoffs...
12. Pokey Reese walkoff against the Cardinals in '99...it was in a pennant race and the call by the radio crew (it might have been Joe) was incredible..
13. '00 Griffey's 1st HR as a Red #399...end of Griffey's first week...he'd been struggling but crushed on against the Cubs at home...I think the next day in Colorado he hit #400
14. BLarkin's PH walkoff HR right off the DL...
15. Randa's walkoff in the opener (was it '04??) right behind ??'s HR...
16. Griffey's #500 vs Cardinals on Father's Day '04??...
17. Griffey's PH off the DL walkoff vs Washington I think, last year...
18. Dunn's GS vs Indians for walkoff last year...
19. Ross' walkoff vs Cardinals last year...I admit, I just KNEW we were playoff bound after that night (the night after the unbelieveable catch by Ryan Freel)...
20. Dunn's blast at NYM this year that broke the scoreboard...I'm amazed that didn't get more "play" because that was an unbelievable shot...

Seriously, thanks to CumberlandReds for getting this thread going...

I'm glad you liked it. Thanks should go to the Sundeck. I saw a similar thread over there and thought it would be a good topic for ORG. I had almost forgot about that Rose HR against the Mets in the 73 playoffs. That was something considering the circumstances. I loved it when Rose was pumping his fist while rounding the bases. That Hal King HR is special to me because I was at that game and that day was one of best of my childhood.

Yachtzee
08-24-2007, 07:22 AM
I've heard my dad speak reverently of both the Bench HR in the '72 playoffs and Hal King's HR v. the Dodgers. He doesn't follow baseball much since the '94 strike, but he still talks about those two HRs as two of the most important HRs he's ever seen.

For me, off the top of my head, these are the HRs I can most remember that were so great I felt a chill down my spine (in a good way) when I saw them. I the first was the first time I saw George Foster hit a HR in the first game I got to see on TV (before that it was all radio in the car for me).

The second was Johnny Bench's HR on his "night." I remember getting chills just watching the highlight on TWIB, my primary method of seeing the Reds if they weren't on the Game of the Week in those days.

The third that I can remember was Eric Davis' HR in the 1990 WS. Up to that point, I had been dealing with not only the commentators all saying the Reds wouldn't win, but the guys in the dorm were on my case all the time about how the Reds had no chance. When Davis' hit that HR, you could feel a change in attitude all around. The guys in the dorm were no longer so sure the A's were going to sweep as they believed. It suddenly seemed to them like it was going to be a battle.

The fourth that I can think of off the top of my head was Barry Larkin's HR coming of the DL. It wasn't that important of a HR, but I had been a Larkin fan for so long. So to see him hit a HR right after coming off the DL at that point in his career just seemed so special.

Always Red
08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
I agree with those above who mentioned the Bench playoff HR, the Perez and Davis WS HR's and I've never seen my dad so happy and excited as I did after Hal King hit that 3 run PH HR against the Dodgers(?) in 1973.

But my most memorable Reds HR happened this year. In spring training. Some of you will remember this.

The first radio broadcast this spring, and Marty and Thom are doing the game. It's Thom's first game and I am anxious to hear him and Marty together. Dunn steps up to bat, and I am startled as Marty immediately launches into what will prove to be a season long diatribe against Dunn (Spring training is a time for sunshine, hope and roses, right??). Adam knocks one out of the park, and Marty stops talking. Priceless!

RFS62
08-24-2007, 07:58 AM

I completely agree.

The idea of losing that series to the Red Sox is unfathomable.

After all those years of coming close and spitting the bit at the end, it was the culmination of the Big Red Machine's rise to legendary status.

RANDY IN INDY
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
For me, Bench's homerun in the '72 playoffs is the most memorable, although I would agree with RedsBaron and RFS62 that the Perez homer in game seven was probably the biggest.

There are two other very memorable homeruns, for me, that I don't think have been mentioned and probably don't rank high on anyone else's list. I still remember listening on my dad's old transistor radio as a 9 year old on June 24, 1970. With the Reds trailing the Giants 4-3 in the bottom of the eighth inning of the last game played in Crosley Field, Johnny Bench and Lee May hit back to back homeruns off Juan Marichal to give the Reds the lead and eventual win. I can still hear Joe urging May's homer out of the park as Jim McIntyre called the shot. I remember jumping out of my bed and running around like a crazy kid. My mother thought that I had lost my mind, but when I told her what had happened, she smiled, nodded approvingly and then told me to get back to bed, in that stearn way that 60's and 70's mothers seemed to have. Wayne Granger came in to close the game out in the top of the ninth inning.

cumberlandreds
08-24-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree with those above who mentioned the Bench playoff HR, the Perez and Davis WS HR's and I've never seen my dad so happy and excited as I did after Hal King hit that 3 run PH HR against the Dodgers(?) in 1973.

Yes,King's HR was against the Dodgers. Don Sutton was the pitcher. The Reds were 11 1/2 games behind the Dodgers entering that DH. This HR propelled a huge comeback for the Reds to win the NL West that season.

MrCinatit
08-24-2007, 09:26 AM
I was not old enough to understand Bench's '72 homer - but whenever I listen to it, I get chills. Al Michaels' call is remarkable.
Perez's homer was clutch. Off an eephus pitch, yet.
I remember the look on Stewart's face after Davis hit his homer. They had been defeated. Glenn Braggs breaking his bat on a check swing didn't help any.
Of course, Dunn's walk off is still baseball history - heck, ESPN foreshadowed last night's game winner off Wickman with the previous year's. The only problem I have is, when I think of it, I think of what could have been.

George Anderson
08-24-2007, 09:57 AM
I was not old enough to understand Bench's '72 homer - but whenever I listen to it, I get chills. Al Michaels' call is remarkable.

I was only 4 when the Bench homerun happened so I hardly remember it, but that call by Michaels also still gives me chills.

George Anderson
08-24-2007, 10:05 AM
How Griffey's inside the park home run could outrank the Davis homerun, the Perez or even the Dunn one shows just how much effort they put into this.

Agreed, However I also think it points to a new generation of Reds fans that dont have many great memories to look back on.