PDA

View Full Version : A genius of Krivsky...

Matt700wlw
08-23-2007, 06:15 PM
He gives up Russ Haltiwanger, Jeff Stevens and $150,000....

He gets Brandon Phillips (Stevens), Jeff Keppinger (Haltiwanger), Jarod Burton (Rule V, $50,000), Hamilton (Rule V, trade, $100,000)

He truely is the Kyle Lohse of GMs.....when he gets it right, he nails it. When he screws up, he butchers it.

His biggest weaknesses, in my book, is tinkering the big league club, and speaking publically....

You look at this, and think he may have a vision and a plan...you listen to his interview yesterday and his reasoning behind recent big club moves, and wonder what he's smoking.

BRM
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
The Kyle Lohse of GMs. That has an interesting ring to it.

camisadelgolf
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Like Kyle Lohse, his win-loss record isn't good, but it deserves to be better?

Matt700wlw
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
The Kyle Lohse of GMs. That has an interesting ring to it.

Stole it from Trent :D

PuffyPig
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Wayne's worse trade is is usually thought of to be the Kearrs/Lopez fiasco.

And it is.

But, it's been mentioned by many, it wasn't what we gave up, but the return. And that makes sense.

But with Bray pitching extremely well, and Kearns and Lopez playing poorly, and costing lots, it's obvious that Bray would, today, have more trade value than either Kearns or Lopez.

But I wouldn't trade Bray for both of Lopez and Kearns. I think their trade value, which wasn't that great last July, is quite a bit worse today.

I wouldn't undo the trade if I could. Plus we have Thompson, who might amount to something.

nate
08-23-2007, 06:53 PM
You look at this, and think he may have a vision and a plan...you listen to his interview yesterday and his reasoning behind recent big club moves, and wonder what he's smoking.

I listened to him yesterday and came away with "yep, that's about what I thought." The only surprising thing was how well he explained the "you have to learn how to lose" comment (which I thought was a dumb comment but made sense once explained).

Different strokes.

Wheelhouse
08-23-2007, 07:09 PM
My guess is that none of the reasons he gave for not bringing up players are the real reasons--I think, perhaps, the reason is he does not want to expose developing talent to some of the attitudes on the big league club.

wheels
08-23-2007, 07:26 PM
My guess is that none of the reasons he gave for not bringing up players are the real reasons--I think, perhaps, the reason is he does not want to expose developing talent to some of the attitudes on the big league club.

Good Lord.

RedLegSuperStar
08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Does this mean the Reds own the rights to Burton and Hamilton?

fearofpopvol1
08-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I know most will doubt, but I think Majik man may end up coming around as well. By no means will he be as useful as what Wayne or others thought, but I think he will be servicable if used correctly.

PuffyPig
08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Does this mean the Reds own the rights to Burton and Hamilton?

They have all year.

They just couldn't send them to the minors without passing through waivers, much like the majority of the team.

RFS62
08-23-2007, 09:52 PM

Sweet sassy molassy!!!!

Now I've heard everything.

westofyou
08-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Sweet sassy molassy!!!!

Now I've heard everything.

I need a dump truck for that load of information.

Matt700wlw
08-23-2007, 10:01 PM
http://www.everbe.com/Products/Toys/dump%20truck%204.jpg

RFS62
08-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Gonna have to go bigger, Matt.

http://www.usmra.com/photos/bigpit/001s.jpg

remdog
08-23-2007, 11:07 PM

And it is.

But, it's been mentioned by many, it wasn't what we gave up, but the return. And that makes sense.

But with Bray pitching extremely well, and Kearns and Lopez playing poorly, and costing lots, it's obvious that Bray would, today, have more trade value than either Kearns or Lopez.

But I wouldn't trade Bray for both of Lopez and Kearns. I think their trade value, which wasn't that great last July, is quite a bit worse today.

I wouldn't undo the trade if I could. Plus we have Thompson, who might amount to something.

I've gotta' totally disagree with that (except for the return part).

I like Bray and I'm hopeful about him. He has pitched well so far but, let's face it, it's a small sample size. There is no way a situational lefty is worth two regular starting players. Granted, they aren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard in DC but how many innings has Bray pitched in the Bigs this year?

Thompson is a crap shoot and a long shot.

At this point, if you can believe Castellini, it's not about the money so the cost of Lopez and Kearnes shouldn't figure in the equation.

It was a bad trade and no amount of spin or appology will make it better.

Rem

LoganBuck
08-23-2007, 11:41 PM
I hate Jayson Ellison. Acquiring a never ending parade of crap to fill out the end of the bench and bullpen, has been Wayne's trademark. Then the manager is stuck using the drecks in situations like tonight. Mike Stanton saw use again. For every good move that Krivsky makes he makes a move of proportional badness to even things out.

Sea Ray
08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
I like Bray and I'm hopeful about him. He has pitched well so far but, let's face it, it's a small sample size. There is no way a situational lefty is worth two regular starting players. Granted, they aren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard in DC but how many innings has Bray pitched in the Bigs this year?

Rem

If all Bray turns out to be is a LOOGY then you are right. I think he's more than that and I think WK felt that way as well. Time will tell. I think he has the stuff to be effective against RHs too.

Reds1
08-24-2007, 12:54 AM

And it is.

Magic pitching a little better too! He could be here next year. Who knows! With Gonz and Hamilton his worst trade is actually one of those addition by subtraction deals. We are better off in the long run and Bray could still end up being great. Isn't there another pitcher in the minors doing well we got too!

MartyFan
08-24-2007, 01:16 AM
If Bray turns out to be a loogy we will be so far ahead of the game in that trade due to addition by subtraction...Lopez and Kearns "retro-blow"...their contracts are HUGE for their talent level and I would have traded them straight up to Philly for Cormier last year...ok, I am making that up...but I don't miss them at all.

redsrule2500
08-24-2007, 01:18 AM
I think he finds talent and brings it here very nicely. Honestly, even the Kearns trade wasn't that bad if you think about what he traded and how they are doing now.

Patrick Bateman
08-24-2007, 02:00 AM
At this point, if you can believe Castellini, it's not about the money so the cost of Lopez and Kearnes shouldn't figure in the equation.

Well that's obiously not true. The Reds run a payroll around 70M. I don't care what Cast says, every single contract is important when you are playing with 70M. As of right now, I really don't want 10M of that payroll going to Kearns and Lopez who are woefully underperforming since they left Cincy.

I would take the trade back because at the time, I bet you could have gotten more than Bray and spare parts for 2 guys who appeared to be regulars. Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe the rest of the league thought that Lopez and Kearns were built by their home park (which appears to be the case).

If the Nats offered me Kearns and Lopez for free, I wouldn't take it right now because they aren't worth their contracts. The money could be better spent elsewhere. That's why I'd take Bray who is more than a situational lefty. His K rates and decent control makes him a good option against any batter, and along with Burton are the 2 guys on the team I view as longterm set-up pitchers.

It was a bad trade because the Reds got terrile value for 2 marketable starting players, but at the end result, I'd rather have Bray since he's really the only guy in the trade that has much value at all.

Kc61
08-25-2007, 11:26 AM
As of today, 8/25/07, Krivsky looks pretty good. The team and organization are starting to shape up. Of course, the Reds are winning now so it's easy to say. Here's my breakdown:

Major league position players: strong and deep. Guys like Keppinger, Hopper, Cantu on the major league team without starting spots (Kepp starting but really Gonzo's position).

Major league bullpen: Improving. Bray and Burton have come around late in season. Pen has been performing. Ways to go, but looking better.

Major league starters: 2-man rotation. Livingston injury hurts. Obviously needs more starters but Bailey and Cueto knocking on door.

Upper minor leagues: Loaded. Cueto, Bailey, Bruce, Votto, Maloney, lots of reliever prospects including Pelland, Roenicke, Viola, and some like McBeth and Salmon who have already seen time, some other good starter prospects like LeCure, Fisher. Maybe Janish as backup infielder. Dorn as platoon outfielder. Dickerson as defensive outfielder. Rosales as possible utility man. Hanigan and Tatum catchers, although neither is a sure thing. Lots of guys. (DanO gets some credit here.)

Lower minor leagues: Fewer big names perhaps, but good depth. A number of key international players acquired, lots of possible good guys. High picks of Stubbs and Mesoraco are uncertain, while others like Francisco and Frazier have had early success.

Scouting: All I know is a lot of international players are popping up in the system. Have the feeling that emphasis on very young players and non-U.S. players is starting to show.

Not too shabby. Even "the trade" doesn't look too bad right now.

OldXOhio
08-25-2007, 11:46 PM

He gets Brandon Phillips (Stevens), Jeff Keppinger (Haltiwanger), Jarod Burton (Rule V, $50,000), Hamilton (Rule V, trade, $100,000)

And Cantu could be the next name on that list

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 02:07 PM

He truely is the Kyle Lohse of GMs.....when he gets it right, he nails it. When he screws up, he butchers it.

His biggest weaknesses, in my book, is tinkering the big league club, and speaking publically....

What came out of that interview was that there's a huge gap between understanding the game of baseball between those that are in it and those that cover it for a living, or watch it as spectators....a very huge gap.

Krivsky has more knowledge in his little finger on how to run a franchise then either of those two guys from Homer have in their entire body.....and a lot more than anyone that comes to this site thinks they know. The arrogance is amazing here.