PDA

View Full Version : Timetable for Hiring 2008 Manager

redsmetz
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Presuming that Castellini and Krivsky will, in fact, interview candidates for the next manager of the club, what sort of timetable do folks anticipate? As I recall, MLB does not like such announcements during the playoffs and the World Series, I would assume that the manager will be named probably no later than Thanksgiving.

I would think that you would want the permanent replacement in place as post-season player moves are made and well as prior to the Winter Meetings.

Others thoughts?

paulrichjr
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
I think the new manager is already here. If the Reds finish with a flourish... It will be announced the last week of the season that Pete is back in 2008 with a 1 year deal. If they stink...interviews and then first of November.

wheels
08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I think the new manager is already here. If the Reds finish with a flourish... It will be announced the last week of the season that Pete is back in 2008 with a 1 year deal. If they stink...interviews and then first of November.

I can envision the same thing.

Matt700wlw
08-24-2007, 06:07 PM
I can envision the same thing.

That could happen.

Though, I don't think it will happen.

Joseph
08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
November 12th, 2007 the Reds will name their next manager.

redsmetz
08-24-2007, 07:00 PM

There's a man hoping to get a cigar.

Spitball
08-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Why not go ahead and name Mac the new manager? Right now, his audition and attempts to win games is hampering the look towards the future.

Sign the Mac guy, bring up Votto, Cueto, and whoever else needs a look. This audition is not really necessary. Managers are basically a crap shoot.

Matt700wlw
08-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Let's all keep our heads for now...no reason to rush to a decision :)

We all know where jumping the gun has gotten this franchise.

KronoRed
08-25-2007, 10:46 PM

I'll top that, he was named on July 1st, 2007 :D

Spitball
08-26-2007, 12:41 AM
... his audition and attempts to win games is hampering the look towards the future.

Whoa!!! What happened to my ability to edit my post!?!? Geesh! A guy should be able to correct his subject-verb agreement after a few beers!!! Can we no longer edit the morning after???

Spitball
08-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Sorry for the double post.

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Before Mackinen: Worst team in the National League.

Since Mackinen: Best team in the National League.

They'll do a real job search, but Mackinen has got to be the leading candidate. He benefitted greatly by not having Juan Castro around, but he even won the 7-10 days that he had Castro. Going on about 57 games now for Mackinen with about 37-40 games to go.

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 04:21 AM
Whoa!!! What happened to my ability to edit my post!?!? Geesh! A guy should be able to correct his subject-verb agreement after a few beers!!! Can we no longer edit the morning after???

For a while now it's been set up where you only have a few hours to edit your post.

mth123
08-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Before Mackinen: Worst team in the National League.

Since Mackinen: Best team in the National League.

They'll do a real job search, but Mackinen has got to be the leading candidate.

Here is the thing everyone keeps ignoring. WK went and sought out MacKanin and brought him into the organization last offseason. He put him in the scouts job, when all his previous experience was in uniform, telling him it would be a good way to garner a different perspective and set of experiences. A move like that sounds a lot like a developmental move and implies to me that WK had plans for Pete all along.

My guess is that MacKanin is WK's guy. If he gets the job it will be more because of that and less about his record since July 1. I look at the interim period more as a way to blow it when he had already won the job than as a way to earn the job.

As far as a proper search is concerned, my guess is that it occurred last offseason when MacKanin was brought into the organization in the first place. This is not a hire from within move even though Mackanin was already a Red's employee prior to the Manager's job coming open. There is really no similarity to Miley's situation even though Miley had a similar period of good play after he was hired.

nate
08-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Here is the thing everyone keeps ignoring. WK went and sought out MacKanin and brought him into the organization last offseason. He put him in the scouts job, when all his previous experience was in uniform, telling him it would be a good way to garner a different perspective and set of experiences. A move like that sounds a lot like a developmental move and implies to me that WK had plans for Pete all along.

My guess is that MacKanin is WK's guy. If he gets the job it will be more because of that and less about his record since July 1. I look at the interim period more as a way to blow it when he had already won the job than as a way to earn the job.

As far as a proper search is concerned, my guess is that it occurred last offseason when MacKanin was brought into the organization in the first place. This is not a hire from within move even though Mackanin was already a Red's employee prior to the Manager's job coming open. There is really no similarity to Miley's situation even though Miley had a similar period of good play after he was hired.

Interesting take.

KronoRed
08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
There is a bit of similarity though with Miley, he was named manager before Dan O hit town, Narron was his guy in waiting

mth123
08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
There is a bit of similarity though with Miley, he was named manager before Dan O hit town, Narron was his guy in waiting

I think the similarity is between MacKanin with Krivsky and Narron with O'Brien. Miley was the organizational guy that got the chance (IMO due to the owner's insistence).

I don't really consider either Narron or MacKanin promotions from within. These were outsiders brought in by the GM that gave them the job.

redsmetz
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
I think the similarity is between MacKanin with Krivsky and Narron with O'Brien. Miley was the organizational guy that got the chance (IMO due to the owner's insistence).

I don't really consider either Narron or MacKanin promotions from within. These were outsiders brought in by the GM that gave them the job.

You know, I don't think anyone expected Miley to fail like he did given his regular success in the minor leagues. There have been plenty of managers who did well in the minors who later succeeded in the majors. Spark and Tommy Lasorda come to mind.