08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Not a good injury for a pitcher...

flyer85
08-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Not a good injury for a pitcher...
wonder who will pitch Sunday.

Patrick Bateman
08-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Well this stinks. I liked Livingston and was pleased the Reds gave him a chance. And now he's basically done.

Do we get more of Dumatrait?

KronoRed
08-24-2007, 04:29 PM
4 man rotation please ;)

Tom Servo
08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
... Coffey called up.
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/captions03211.jpg

Eric_Davis
08-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Gosh Dang It!

That's too bad for the kid. The Mariners had given up on him and it looked like he had a chance to become a starter next year if he continued his improvement.

Keep the faith Livingston.

nate
08-24-2007, 04:31 PM
How about a 2-man rotation?

paulrichjr
08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Isn't that like the death blow. Seriously I know that sounds bad but the chances of coming back from that is almost none and then you have 2 years minimum if you can... I don't see how we can do anything except call up Cueto, Bailey, or Maloney. One of them has to be coming. I bet Maloney.

Roy Tucker
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Dang. An already thin corp of starters gets even thinner.

Not to mention the bullpen is getting burned up.

Too bad for the kid.

LoganBuck
08-24-2007, 04:48 PM
You just knew he wasn't right. He wasn't pitching with the same tempo, or throwing as many strikes. Too bad, for him. Just when a young player's career looks to be taking off he gets it yanked out from under him. So sad. The curse of Steve Foster strikes again.

Harang
Arroyo
Belisle
Saarloos?
Ramirez?

Ltlabner
08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I know he wasn't the next Greg Maddux, but you hate to see a kid get injured just when things are "seemingly" taking off.

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2007, 04:59 PM
If Saarloos hadn't piched last night, I'd give him the nod. He's not great, but I'd far rather have him pitch than Dumatrait or any of the minor leaguers.

LincolnparkRed
08-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I think they need to consider Cueto or Bailey, Saarloos would not be able to pitch tonight or tomorrow if he is supposed to start on Sunday and saying last night was his first positive experience since almost May, I would hate to spot start him on Sunday. Any waiver wire guys we could get? Remember Michalak and Kim were starting here last year.

Where is Joe Mays when you need him.

camisadelgolf
08-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Fortunately, his game didn't rely on velocity. For that reason (plus I'd assume they caught the injury early), I think he seems to have a better chance to recover than most.

Falls City Beer
08-24-2007, 05:07 PM
When Livingston is your "depth," you need more starters.

IslandRed
08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
One encouraging bit is, Trent said he'd be evaluated again in ten days. That suggests a possibility that this may be a minor tear and not the major one that's often the death knell for a pitcher's career.

Tom Servo
08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I think they need to consider Cueto or Bailey, Saarloos would not be able to pitch tonight or tomorrow if he is supposed to start on Sunday and saying last night was his first positive experience since almost May, I would hate to spot start him on Sunday. Any waiver wire guys we could get? Remember Michalak and Kim were starting here last year.

Where is Joe Mays when you need him.
Joe Kennedy and Byung Hyun Kim are both available.

RedLegSuperStar
I'm kind of speechless.. how does ownership plan to push the "win now" schpeel on us.. when we really don't have more then 2 starters in our rotation.. David Wells was out there.. granted I doubt he would come to Cincinnati.. but if ownership and management are preaching about winning something has to be done with the Rotation.. and pronto. This bullpen isn't going to last long having to go out there during the 5th inning of every game..

flyer85
Joe Kennedy and Byung Hyun Kim are both available.
but no David Wells ... crap.

KronoRed
08-24-2007, 05:18 PM
How about a 2-man rotation?

Fine with me, get Harang and Arroyo on board :cool:

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Coffey???

Krivsky.. MARCUS MCBETH!!!!!!!

nate
08-24-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm kind of speechless.. how does ownership plan to push the "win now" schpeel on us.. when we really don't have more then 2 starters in our rotation.. David Wells was out there.. granted I doubt he would come to Cincinnati.. but if ownership and management are preaching about winning something has to be done with the Rotation.. and pronto. This bullpen isn't going to last long having to go out there during the 5th inning of every game..

"Win Now" is front office "PR Crap" coupled with the Redszone snowball effect.

flyer85
08-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I think Cueto is scheduled to pitch for Chattanooga tonight. If he makes his start the options in the minors are limited unless they bring Dumatrait back.

Patrick Bateman
08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Coffey was the correct choice IMO. He continues to dominate every time he goes down to AAA.

I've been saying it all year, and hopefully I'll be right eventually, but Coffey will be fine. I'd reallylike to see him have a really solid last month to make sure he'sin the team's plans for 2008.

Matt700wlw
08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Coffey was the correct choice IMO. He continues to dominate every time he goes down to AAA.

And gets rocked up here. Frankly, I'm a bit tired of seeing it.

flyer85
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
same could be said of Stanton, Majewski, Saarloos, etc. Coffey fits right. Someone will have to go by Sunday anyway unless they throw Gosling, which is not a good idea with the heavily RH hitting Marlins.

Matt700wlw
08-24-2007, 06:11 PM
same could be said of Stanton, Majewski, Saarloos, etc. Coffey fits right. Someone will have to go by Sunday anyway unless they throw Gosling, which is not a good idea with the heavily RH hitting Marlins.

Majewski's looked better (for now), Stanton isn't going anywhere, as much as we all wish he would go elsewhere far far away (contract), Saarloos...well, yeah...but he's the only "long guy" they have right now, I guess...

I don't know...it's all just a deck chair re-shuffle anyway, pretty much.

I'd rather see McBeth though...

HumnHilghtFreel
08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
That's really too bad. Hopefully it isn't career threatening for him.

flyer85
08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't know...it's all just a deck chair re-shuffle anyway, pretty much. ... which at this point is to be expected.

lollipopcurve
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I've been saying it all year, and hopefully I'll be right eventually, but Coffey will be fine.

I doubt it, unless he learns to throw something other than a fastball.

chicoruiz
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Gosling would be my choice, I guess, but the part of me that loves an underdog would like to see the organizational good soldier Tom Shearn get the start.

lollipopcurve
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
but the part of me that loves an underdog would like to see the organizational good soldier Tom Shearn get the start.

I agree -- and he'd be on 4 days' rest.

Patrick Bateman
08-24-2007, 06:24 PM

Look, I know that, but look at the alternatives.

Coffey has 2 things over those guys:

1. Recent success

and

2. Youth

I'm not saying Coffey is the answer to all our problems, but his strong pitching in AAA is a pretty good indicator that he's going to be better than he has. That's not saying a whole lot, but who do you suggest? It's a barren cupboard down there, and quite frankly, I think Coffey has the best chance to have success, and considering his youth and contract, the Reds need to see if he's going to be in the plans for next season.

His sample size is small (like most relievers) and I think Coffey has had terrible luck. Disagree with me if you will, but it's a really bad idea to dismiss Coffey because of a 45 inning sample when he's showed success last season. I have been admittely mostlywrong about Coffey all season, but I'm going to continue to be stubborn. If it doesn't work, then fine, but the Reds have little viable candidates that should be given a look before Coffey.

Tony Cloninger
08-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I am all for a 4 man rotation....you limit them to 90-100 pitches....and you have enough relievers to run out there.

Why not try it and see what happens.....not going anywhere anyways.

Patrick Bateman
08-24-2007, 06:43 PM
I am all for a 4 man rotation....you limit them to 90-100 pitches....and you have enough relievers to run out there.

Why not try it and see what happens.....not going anywhere anyways.

I know that Harang is firmly against a four man rotation. Given the opportunity by Narron, Harang refused, and Arroyo offered to do it.

For that reason, I don't think it would be a good idea.

BRM
08-24-2007, 06:49 PM
From Fay's blog.

Bobby Livingston today went on the 15-day disabled list with a torn in the labrum of his left shoulder. He'll be checked out in 10 days to decide if he needs surgery.

Livingston, understandably, was devastated.

"I can't tell how upset I am not to be able to pitch the rest of the year," Livingston said. "It's just depressing."

The odd thing is he felt fine in his last start. He played long toss the day after.

"I woke up the next day and couldn't lift my arm," he said.

If he needs surgery, it would probably mean missing all of the next season.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
From Fay's blog.

If he needs surgery, it would probably mean missing all of the next season.

Ouch..

Eric_Davis
08-24-2007, 07:02 PM
It's like the one poster said, "Harang and Arroyo and pray for tornado".

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Fay -

The Reds will need a starter for Sunday. Michael Gosling? Johnny Cueto? Cueto is scheduled to start tonight in Chattanooga. If he's pulled, he's the guy.

One thing about Fay.. Cueto is not going to make his major league debut anytime this season... not Sunday.. not in September. If Bailey didn't get a shot last year.. Cueto isn't coming up this year. Not that i'm against it because I'd actually attend that game. But with the Reds brass.. you have to believe it will be either Gosling, Saarloos, or Dumatrait. It would be an easy move to put him on the roster just by simply transferring Livingston to the 60 day DL and send down Majewski.. But I just can't see it happening.. at all.. this team will not make a move on Joey Votto let alone are they about to make a move on Johnny Cueto and it's a shame...

Gallen5862
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Bob Wickman was DfAed by the Braves today. I don't know if that might be something that Krivisky might pursue.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Bob Wickman was DfAed by the Braves today. I don't know if that might be something that Krivisky might pursue.

Way to go Dunn..

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 07:14 PM

so was..

Dodgers designated RHP Brett Tomko for assignment.

jojo
08-24-2007, 07:40 PM
This is lousy news. I feel for Livingston. He was living the dream and now it must feel like the sun will never shine again. If surgery is required, it's very possible that he may never pitch another major league game. I wouldn't wish the intense frustration and helplessness associated with situations like this on anyone. All the best Bobby....

KronoRed
08-24-2007, 07:42 PM
so was..

Dodgers designated RHP Brett Tomko for assignment.

Could Tomko be any worse then what we have running out in spots 4 and 5?

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Could Tomko be any worse then what we have running out in spots 4 and 5?

can he get past the 5th inning? ;)

KronoRed
08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
can he get past the 5th inning? ;)

That's not a necessity :D

jojo
08-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Tomko has pitched better than his ERA and his '08 option is only $4M. I think the Reds probably should consider Tomko for their backend.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Tomko has pitched better than his ERA and his '08 option is only $4M. I think the Reds probably should consider Tomko for their backend.

We did put up with Milton, Kim, and Mays..

Matt700wlw
08-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Get him and Cameron back, with Griffey still here, and Griffey was obtained for almost nothing :D

KronoRed
08-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Don't forget Jake Meyer and Antonio Perez

mth123
08-24-2007, 08:30 PM
I like the Joe Kennedy Byung Hyun Kim ideas at this point. Tomko too. Say no to Saarloos.

Maybe Stanton can be dealt for Wickman.

Patrick Bateman
08-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Tomko is a fine idea. The Reds currently only have 4 guys I hae any interest in watching right now in the rotation. Of current options, Saarloos might sadly be the best option.

There are no strings attatched for future seasons, so I'd hae no problem bringing Tomko in. In a lot of ways he's similar to Belisle (which many may not like). Decent stuff, solid control, but will give up the long ball.

camisadelgolf
08-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Don't forget Jake Meyer and Antonio Perez

How could someone forget Jake Meyer?

redsmetz
08-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Tomko is a fine idea. The Reds currently only have 4 guys I hae any interest in watching right now in the rotation. Of current options, Saarloos might sadly be the best option.

There are no strings attatched for future seasons, so I'd hae no problem bringing Tomko in. In a lot of ways he's similar to Belisle (which many may not like). Decent stuff, solid control, but will give up the long ball.

I was just coming to this thread to broach this suggestion. I looked at his stats and he's had a horrible season, but while technically we're not eliminated, we clearly need a starter to take a place in the rotation. I think Tomko could be the body we could use. No high hopes there, but the prospects presently are fairly thin, IMO.

KronoRed
08-25-2007, 02:28 PM
How could someone forget Jake Meyer?

He was the key to the entire deal

Always Red
08-25-2007, 02:51 PM
He was the key to the entire deal

shades of redsupport...:D

M2
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I rooted hard for Livingston this season. IMO, he's got a lot of poise on the mound. Hopefully that poise will serve him well in recovering from this labrum tear.

redsmetz
08-27-2007, 10:56 PM
I read in the paper where Mike Stanton had this surgery way back earlier in his career (some time in the 90's) and came through it alright.

Chip R
08-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Maybe they can turn Livingston into a position player. He certainly knows how to handle the bat.