PDA

View Full Version : Livingston to DL, Coffey Up

reds44
08-24-2007, 03:24 PM
LHP Bobby Livingston today went on the 15-day disabled list with a tear in the labrum of his left shoulder. He will be evaluated again in about 10 days.

Livingston went 3-3, 5.27 in his 10 starts for the Reds.

His roster spot will be filled by RHP Todd Coffey, who has been recalled from Louisville.

Coffey went 2-1, 6.04 in 48 relief apps during 3 previous stints with the Reds and 2-0, 1.83 in 15 relief apps for the Bats.
Maloney anyone?

UPRedsFan
08-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Or will it be Gosling since Coffey was called up? I'd rather see Maloney

Dunner44
08-24-2007, 03:30 PM
crap, that explains some stuff. I hope bobby gets healthy and can compete for a spot on the roster this year or next. But right now, that adds another TBA for the Reds... no good.

UPRedsFan
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Actually this makes Belisle the 3rd best starter currently!

Wasn't Homer supposed to start in Sarasota? Anyone hear how that went?

All the more pressure on Wayne to get a solid starter in the off-season.

Degenerate39
08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Maloney anyone?

That would be interesting

texasdave
08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
If Livingston was scheduled to take the ball on Sunday it won't be Matt Maloney that takes his place. Maloney pitched 6 innings last night for Louisville. Saarloos would be my choice.

reds44
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Or will it be Gosling since Coffey was called up? I'd rather see Maloney
I think it's just an extra bullpen arm until Sunday. Much like how the Reds haven't called Belisle up yet even though he is starting tomorrow.

Krash
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Can anyone explain what his injury is, what it means and if and when he can make a full recovery? Thanks.

reds44
08-24-2007, 03:44 PM
If Livingston was scheduled to take the ball on Sunday it won't be Matt Maloney that takes his place. Maloney pitched 6 innings last night for Louisville. Saarloos would be my choice.
Cueto.

:D

reds44
08-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Can anyone explain what his injury is, what it means and if and when he can make a full recovery? Thanks.
He's going to be out over a calendar year most likely.

Vada Pinson Fan
08-24-2007, 03:48 PM
News of all this and having Coffey come back up again is not good and shocked to hear about Bobby Livingston's labrum tear and is likely finished for the year. I would like to see Matt Maloney come up too. I mean, why not?

TC81190
08-24-2007, 03:55 PM
You might want to put the torn labrum in the title. :eek:

jimbo
08-24-2007, 04:06 PM

Labrum is cartilage in the shoulder joint. For a pitcher it is a very difficult injury to recover from and some never do. There is virtually no chance of seeing him pitch next season.

I really feel bad for the kid, things were looking up for him this season and I think he could have been a decent starter for several seasons to come. I hope he can recover and come back at some point down the road.

Blue
08-24-2007, 04:06 PM
It should be Cueto's turn for Chattanooga tonight. Homer is starting for Sarasota tonight. Maloney pitched last night.

So it will probably not be a gilmpse of the future on Sunday. Maybe they'll bring up Shearn. I'd kinda like to see that is its not going to be one of the kiddies.

UC_Ken
08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Livingston already had questionable stuff, now he's got the worst possible injury a pitcher can have. I'd be suprised if he ever was a major league caliber starter again. It's a shame because I thought he had the makings of a good back end of the rotation starter.

jmac
08-24-2007, 04:40 PM
I just hope Pete uses Coffey with a big lead or big deficit. We have a good thing going right now in the 7-8 inning part so let's not mess it up !

Muggerd
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Dang I was kinda enjoying Livingston. Id have to imagine its either Maloney, gosling or, shearn.

Degenerate39
08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
This might explain his last outing

Prf15
08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I would like to see Shearn get the call. We already have seen Dumatrait and Homer is on rehab assignment. Cueto and Maloney just pitched.

Shearn last pitched the 21st.

DntKnw
08-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Labrum is cartilage in the shoulder joint. For a pitcher it is a very difficult injury to recover from and some never do. There is virtually no chance of seeing him pitch next season.

I really feel bad for the kid, things were looking up for him this season and I think he could have been a decent starter for several seasons to come. I hope he can recover and come back at some point down the road.

Isn't this injury what Howington, Gruler, Basham, Hall, Pauly, and Gardner all had? I think Wilson also had it (2x). Historically, I think Gullett, Nolan and Rijo all had it.

In other words, Livingston is probably done at the major league level. But, he had his moment, which is better than 99.99999% of us.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-24-2007, 11:03 PM
at least it wasn't a torn labia like Kerry Wood had

jmac
08-24-2007, 11:05 PM
I would like to see Shearn get the call. We already have seen Dumatrait and Homer is on rehab assignment. Cueto and Maloney just pitched.

Shearn last pitched the 21st.

I would say no to Shearn but we dont have alot of choices.

StrikeIndicator
08-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Close, here are some links to better explain. I have had this surgery on both shoulders, had to learn how to throw bp left handed for my kids.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=255&topcategory

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/labral/more.asp
What is the labrum and what does it do?

The labrum is a disk of cartilage on the glenoid, or "socket" side of the shoulder joint. The labrum helps stabilize the joint and acts as a "bumper" to limit excessive motion of the humerus, the "ball" side of the shoulder joint. More importantly, it holds the humerus securely to the glenoid, almost as if suction were involved. Although the glenoid itself is a relatively flat surface, the labrum's cuff-like contour gives the glenoid a more concave shape. The secure but flexible fit of the humerus within the glenoid permits the great range motion of the healthy shoulder.

How is the labrum injured?

Tears of the labrum can be the result of:
a direct fall or blow to the arm resulting in abnormal movement of the humerus.
repetitive trauma of the greater tuberosity and rotator cuff on the posterior (back of) labrum. This is termed internal impingement (pinching of the soft tissues) and is most commonly seen in baseball and tennis athletes whose arms are frequently in overhead positions.
A very common labral injury is a tear that occurs on the top of the labrum, extending from the front to the back of the cartilage. This is known as a SLAP tear ("SLAP" is an acronym for superior labral anterior to posterior tear). This injury affects the attachment of the biceps tendon to the glenoid. An injury in this area can be extremely painful, and can cause the biceps tendon to rupture.

At least five types of SLAP tears have been identified. Treatment depends on the stability of the biceps anchor and the type of tear that has occurred. These injuries are commonly the result of:
a fall on an outstretched arm.
a forceful lifting maneuver.
repetitive throwing.
It is very important for the surgeon to determine whether or not the labral tear is associated with instability of the shoulder. A tear of the labrum not associated with instability can be treated surgically by itself, but the treatment of a labral tear in an unstable shoulder will only be successful if the shoulder is surgically stabilized at the same time.

Rehab is a real treat. One positive for him is he will be very motivated with regards to the rehab protocol and he has experience similar challenges to get where he is today in baseball.
If you only job is doing your rehab and getting better, the chances are greater that you will get it done

Actually, he is very lucky.
15 years ago, this was a career ending injury that did not have a very favorable surgical result for normal use of your arm.

Prf15
08-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I would say no to Shearn but we dont have alot of choices.

I'm not a fan of him either but who else you throw out there? Gosling? Saarloos?

I see Santos is on the restricted list in the minors.

AmarilloRed
08-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Actually this makes Belisle the 3rd best starter currently!

Wasn't Homer supposed to start in Sarasota? Anyone hear how that went?

All the more pressure on Wayne to get a solid starter in the off-season.

His start in Sarasota was rained out today. He is expected to make a start tomorrow.

Reds.com suggests Gosling will be the starter because he pitches in long relief.

shREDded29
08-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Stanton had a torn labrum back in 1990. He had surgery that June, and was ready and pitching again by opening day 1991. I guess it all depends on the severity of the tear, but there is a chance that Livingston can recover and pitch again (maybe as a reliever instead of a starter?).

Jr's Boy
08-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Darn,here comes Coffey to wreck the good karma that has manifested in this bullpen.

ThirdBaseCoach
08-25-2007, 10:54 AM
removed by author