PDA

View Full Version : Wickman DFA'd

Matt700wlw
08-24-2007, 06:11 PM
ESPN scroll...

:laugh: Nice job, Dunn!

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2007, 06:12 PM
What is his salary situation? If I were the Reds, I would try to claim him.

smith288
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Because imploding Bullpen arsonists are our specialty?

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 06:18 PM

2 closers are not enough??

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Because imploding Bullpen arsonists are our specialty?

A career 3.58 ERA and more importantly, even after said "implosions" he has an ERA on the season of 3.92. Why don't you let me know how many Reds relievers have an ERA better than that for this season.

mbgrayson
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Plus if we have him, he won't have to face Dunn again.

Better yet, we should hope the Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals claim him. Then we might see more walk-off HRs this year.....

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2007, 06:21 PM
2 closers are not enough??

I don't see Eddie as a closer anymore, regardless if that's what he's been or where he's comfortable. I see bringing on Wickman as a low risk potential high reward signing for a team that is pitching deprived (even if the bullpen has been better recently).

smith288
A career 3.58 ERA and more importantly, even after said "implosions" he has an ERA on the season of 3.92. Why don't you let me know how many Reds relievers have an ERA better than that for this season.
The Atlanta Braves just released Bob Wickman. Let me know how many mistakes the Braves have made in terms of what talent to keep and what to ditch...

Topcat
Any guesses on who they may choose to use as a closer going into rest of season?

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Any guesses on who they may choose to use as a closer going into rest of season?

Soriano or Acosta

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2007, 06:24 PM
I should rephrase my comment to say that if The Reds want to TRY (and I say "try" loosely and it's a big time long shot) to win over the next 35 games in hopes of doing anything, I think Wickman is a decent gamble.

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
The Atlanta Braves just released Bob Wickman. Let me know how many mistakes the Braves have made in terms of what talent to keep and what to ditch...

That still didn't answer the question I posed.

Tom Servo
08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
I'd say that's two teams Dunn's helped punch Wickman's ticket out of.

Always Red
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
For a minute there, I was thinking the Reds could grab Wickman to pitch the 8th, which would deepen the bullpen by pushing Burton to the 7th.

Until I read this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070824&content_id=2167614&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

ST. LOUIS -- Adam Dunn said goodbye to Bob Wickman's 12th-inning fastball on Thursday night, and the Braves said goodbye to Wickman on Friday afternoon.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Braves announced Friday that they've designated Wickman for assignment. This wasn't a move made to free up a roster spot. Instead, it's one that essentially puts an end to the veteran closer's days in Atlanta.

"I just want to try something else," said Braves manager Bobby Cox, while seemingly attempting to avoid saying anything negative about Wickman, who posted a 3.92 ERA in 49 appearances and blew six of his 26 save opportunities this year.

While Cox was diplomatic, Andruw Jones provided an indication that Wickman sometimes complained about pitching in non-save situations, like the one he entered in Thursday night's extra-inning loss to the Reds.

By the time the 12th inning arrived Thursday, the only remaining available relievers were Wickman and Oscar Villarreal, who would have pitched every inning that followed the 12th.

"We need guys who want to pitch," Jones said. "If you don't want to pitch you shouldn't be here."

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I should rephrase my comment to say that if The Reds want to TRY (and I say "try" loosely and it's a big time long shot) to win over the next 35 games in hopes of doing anything, I think Wickman is a decent gamble.

I don't think anyone is knocking the idea of obtaining Bob Wickman.. it's just this team needs starters at this point.. Wickman would just be another spot taken from someone who deserves it within the organization (Mcbeth, Coutlangus, and Salmon)

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
For a minute there, I was thinking the Reds could grab Wickman to pitch the 8th, which would deepen the bullpen by pushing Burton to the 7th.

Until I read this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070824&content_id=2167614&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

If he's pitching the 8th, he won't be saving games or have to worry about this. Problem solved.

Always Red
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Wickman would just be another spot taken from someone who deserves it within the organization (Mcbeth, Coutlangus, and Salmon)

I'd respectfully disagree with you there, RLSS.

No one in this org "deserves" a spot. Those guys have all had a chance this year, and not been up to the task in one way or another. They're young and all capable of improvement, that's for sure. And I don't want Wickman if he's a prima donna.

I want someone to come in here and grab their spot by the throat (kind of like Burton has done, and how Guardado did last year), not get it because they deserve it because they're next in line and have been here first.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I'd respectfully disagree with you there, RLSS.

No one in this org "deserves" a spot. Those guys have all had a chance this year, and not been up to the task in one way or another. They're young and all capable of improvement, that's for sure. And I don't want Wickman if he's a prima donna.

I want someone to come in here and grab their spot by the throat (kind of like Burton has done, and how Guardado did last year), not get it because they deserve it because they're next in line and have been here first.

I appreciate it :beerme:

We as fans all want that..

Coutlangus really didn't deserve the option to Louisville.. just he had options.. McBeth has been almost lights out in Louisville since being sent down. Salmon is one to argue over though.. i'll give you that.. he has posted a below 4.00 ERA both at the big league level and in AAA and his K to BB ratio is 2 to 1.. this year I think i'd rather see what we've got.. cause face it.. we are not in contention...

Just to point out.. all of the men mention are 27.. so you would think they have just about seasoned enough for the show..

REDREAD
08-24-2007, 08:00 PM

I'm going to agree with you. It's not that crazy of an idea.
If Wickman ends up being released, I think the Reds are only response for the prorated minimum salary for the rest of the year.

I mean, if we can give Stanton and Guaradado innings, why not try Wickman? Heck, it couldn't be much worse.

The sad reality is that next season, we're going to be looking for filler in the pen. If we can audition Wickman for free, why not?

Matt700wlw
08-24-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm going to agree with you. It's not that crazy of an idea.
If Wickman ends up being released, I think the Reds are only response for the prorated minimum salary for the rest of the year.

I mean, if we can give Stanton and Guaradado innings, why not try Wickman? Heck, it couldn't be much worse.

The sad reality is that next season, we're going to be looking for filler in the pen. If we can audition Wickman for free, why not?

Does a bullpen have a weight limit?

flyer85
08-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Just an example of it's Bobby's way or the highway, no matter who you are. I have no problem with that. Wickman will probably find another job rather quickly.

Red Heeler
08-25-2007, 12:33 AM
If they need a closer, I'd start talking about Weathers for Escobar when Renteria is healthy.

Ron Madden
08-25-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure, but I'd bet Dunn has hit a pretty good percentage of the HR's Wickman has given up in close and late situations the past couple of years.

With that said, The Reds should avoid guys like this. It makes very little sense to over pay older guys with thier best years behind them.

nate
08-25-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure, but I'd bet Dunn has hit a pretty good percentage of the HR's Wickman has given up in close and late situations the past couple of years.

With that said, The Reds should avoid guys like this. It makes very little sense to over pay older guys with thier best years behind them.

I think Dunn was 2-3 with 2 game-ending HR against him.

westofyou
08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/08/24/wickman_0825.html

"I just want to try something else, try something new," Cox said.

But players said what Cox couldn't or didn't want to say, that in addition to being less effective from the mound as the year progressed, Wickman also alienated himself from his Braves teammates for reasons such as showing displeasure at pitching in non-save situations.

Thursday was such a situation, and came after he had to warm up a couple of times before he pitched.

"If it's not a save situation, he was not happy about it," Andruw Jones said. "It's not fair to the team. It's not fair for the manager. The way he was going about his business, separate from everybody.

"We're a team. Everybody has their own attitude. Everybody's got their own feeling about each other. Everybody's got their own way of going about their business. But when we put a uniform on and we're all together, we're all as one. And we need guys who want to go out there and perform."

Cox called Wickman in his hotel room in St. Louis on Friday morning to tell him.

"He didn't seem real shocked; I don't know," Cox said. "He just said, 'Sorry I let you down.' "

Wickman converted 20 of 26 save opportunities this year, going 3-3 with a 3.92 ERA. Since the All-Star break he had blown two saves and taken a loss, but his ERA was 1.98. Last season, he made 28 appearances after the trade and was 0-2 with a 1.04 ERA and 18 saves in 19 chances.

He has 10 days to be traded or claimed by another team off waivers, but his days with the Braves are officially over a little more than a year after he was traded to Atlanta from Cleveland. The Braves have attempted to trade him but have found no takers.

Ron Madden
08-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I think Dunn was 2-3 with 2 game-ending HR against him.

Yep, I don't think Wickman has given up very many HR's late in close games over the past couple of seasons. :)

smith288
08-25-2007, 07:27 PM
That still didn't answer the question I posed.
I dont want to answer you rhetorical question. My point wasnt that Wickman is crappier than what we have. My point is that we dont need him, his age and his attitude of "me first".

Heath
08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Somebody will find a spot for him.

Detroit maybe.

REDREAD
08-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Does a bullpen have a weight limit?

Well, it certainly doesn't have an age limit :)