PDA

View Full Version : Merged: In honor of #13, Davey Concepcion / Concepcion number retirement night

Eric_Davis
08-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Viva La Concepcion!

He was the best SS of his era.

He patented the turf-bounce throw, not Ozzie.

RBA
08-24-2007, 09:13 PM
As a Californian, one of the reasons I became a Reds fan is that the first thing I noticed the SS was wearing number 13 which I got a quick connection as I was born on the 13th and I had already chosen that to be my lucky number. It's not the only reason I became a Reds fan, but the great fielding SS with number 13 lured me in. Congrats Davy. I also met Davy as he toured around the world visiting military bases making personal appearances along with George Foster and Bob Feller.

redsfan4445
08-24-2007, 09:15 PM
love to hear the fans chant "Hall of Fame" when he is introduced!

MrCinatit
08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
He was one of many straws that stirred that Big Red Machine drink, and IMHO the club would not have been what it was without him.
Of course, that may have hurt him, as he has been overshadowed. But, that does not detract from the fact he was the best shortstop of his time, period.

Red in Chicago
08-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I cannot wait until tomorrow. I hope the weather holds up.

08-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Anyone going solely to see this? I had tickets for the Friday game this weekend from the Power Pack, but decided to spring for a hotel room and Saturday tickets mainly to relive some better baseball times. I was wondering if anyone really comes out to these games just for reasons as this. Guess the attendance numbers will tell.

I used the Cincinnati USA discount code for this and got mezzanine tickets for half price. Great deal.

GAC
08-25-2007, 05:48 AM
I know alot of the younger generation were raised on Larkin, and with no due disrespect to Barry; but Davey is da man! When I started following the Reds, Cardenas was the SS. I got to meet him at the Reds HOF a couple years ago. What a thrill.

I'm lookng forward to being there tonight. We got seats along the 1b line (section 133). I'm taking the video camera too. You can't tape any of the game; but you can the pre-game ceremony, which begins at 6:30.

Yachtzee
08-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I wish I could go. Davey is awesome.

Red in Chicago
08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Wow, I was trying to go to tonight's game, but...Right at the Illinois / Indiana border, there were several roads either closed, or traffic was so backed up, I would have never made it on time. I ended up turning around and coming back home. We've gotten so much rain up here lately, that everything is flooding.

I'm very disappointed, as I had been looking forward to this trip for months now. I already had my hotel room prepaid and of course, two tix for the game. What a waste.

camisadelgolf
08-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I won't be able to make it to Newport for beers on time, but I'll be at the game in the bleachers. When you see a message on the board, welcoming the Hittners, that's for my group.

KittyDuran
08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I won't be able to make it to Newport for beers on time, but I'll be at the game in the bleachers. When you see a message on the board, welcoming the Hittners, that's for my group.The RedsZone message will be up there as well!

Reds Nd2
08-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Does anyone have a link to watch the ceremonies on line?

Red in Chicago
08-25-2007, 07:37 PM
sure would have been nice if directv could have shown this, but:rolleyes:

Matt700wlw
08-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Should be in the hall....and I hope one day, he gets the honor he truely deserves....

Matt700wlw
08-25-2007, 08:11 PM
That was cool!!

Red in Chicago
08-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Matt, did they show a bunch of highlights from Davey's career on the jumbo screen? It sounded like Omar made a speech on there...anyone else?

Matt700wlw
08-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Matt, did they show a bunch of highlights from Davey's career on the jumbo screen? It sounded like Omar made a speech on there...anyone else?

I think it was just Omar...and they showed a hilight reel.

OnBaseMachine
08-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I think it was just Omar...and they showed a hilight reel.

Barry Larkin also made a speech. That was awesome...I wish I could have been there. I would have went if not for work.

Matt700wlw
08-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Barry Larkin also made a speech. That was awesome...I wish I could have been there. I would have went if not for work.

I couldn't tune in as much as I wanted, because of other obligations....but it what I saw was very very nice.

Davey's speech was very hearfelt and genuine....just like he is.

CrackerJack
08-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Now it's "take a drink every time George Grande says the word 'special' night."

I'll be passed out in about an hour.

KronoRed
08-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Hour? you're not trying hard enough ;)

redsfan4445
08-25-2007, 11:11 PM
it was amazing.. seeing the Players that Davey played with on the Big Red Machine and when they revealed his number he had to fight back tears.. i know i had tears.. great great memories growing up during the Big Red Machine days...He should be in the Cooperstown HOF!!!

MartyFan
08-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Is the video on the net anyplace?

I looked for it on the MLB site and couldn't find anything.

HELP!!!!

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 04:25 AM
Wow, I was trying to go to tonight's game, but...Right at the Illinois / Indiana border, there were several roads either closed, or traffic was so backed up, I would have never made it on time. I ended up turning around and coming back home. We've gotten so much rain up here lately, that everything is flooding.

I'm very disappointed, as I had been looking forward to this trip for months now. I already had my hotel room prepaid and of course, two tix for the game. What a waste.

Oh, man. What a bummer. Hope the person that was going with you wasn't as disappointed as you must have been. That weather all of you are having over there is just awful, and now 100,000 homes in Ohio without power. Wow.

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Reading about Concepcion's night tonight, they said that there are two great Cincinnati SS's. I was so taken back into time, that I literally could not think of who else they could be talking about.

I love Larkin and think he should be in the Hall-of-Fame, too, but for a moment there, I completely forgot about him.

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 04:33 AM
I couldn't tune in as much as I wanted, because of other obligations....but it what I saw was very very nice.

Davey's speech was very hearfelt and genuine....just like he is.

Every day soon following the end of the game, www.mlb.com replays then entire game for FREE....yes FREE. Only for a window from after the game to maybe 8 hours after. It's not the condensed version either but the whole thing.

Tonight, they started the broadcast off as Davey took the microphone and gave his speech.

Best moment of 2007.

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 04:52 AM
It's hard to find, so here's how you get to it.

From the mlb.com homepage:

One section of the video highlights you click on don't work and another one does. The one's that do are the ones in the large main news section that highlight's the day's action right next to the list of the scores. Click on the one of the "camcorder" icons that show video highlights, like Dunn's 3-Run HR. That will open up another screen titled Major League Baseball: Media Player. As the video starts to play look to the right where 4 tabs are listed: "Related", "Today", "On Demand", and "My Team". Below that is a button "Show Linescore". Below that is a tab with an icon of a TV that says "watch". Below that you'll see an icon of a camcorder with the words next to it mlb.tv 700K. Click on that and the broadcast begins. You can pause it, slide the bar backwards to look at something again, or increase the screen size to half-screen or full-screen.

It's it's totally free after every game courtesy of www.mlb.com.

camisadelgolf
08-26-2007, 06:38 AM
The RedsZone message will be up there as well!

I saw the RedsZone message but missed the message to my family. However, the moment that topped it all was seeing my parents on Kiss Cam. They were sitting on the opposite end of the stadium, and when I looked up on the scoreboard, there they were. Anyway, I'll put it like this . . . It wasn't just a peck on the cheek. I nearly threw up.

redsfan4445
08-26-2007, 12:43 PM
i was going to add a link to his speech, its on www.reds.com middle of the way down, but couldnt figure how to do it.. mind blank.. forgive me

GAC
08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Myself, ChipR, redhawkfish, and Buck Woody were there. Had excellent seats along the 1B line. I walked down in front and shot some excellent video footage of the ceremony. It was truly awe inspring. Good for Davey.

Red in Chicago
08-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Myself, ChipR, redhawkfish, and Buck Woody were there. Had excellent seats along the 1B line. I walked down in front and shot some excellent video footage of the ceremony. It was truly awe inspring. Good for Davey.

I so wanted to get there, but Mother Nature had other plans. Any chance you could post some of the video or pics that you took?

BCubb2003
08-26-2007, 11:24 PM
One of the things I noticed was how Concepcion mentioned people like Ed Sprague, Kurt Bevacqua and George Sherger, people I hadn't thought about in years.

GAC
08-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I so wanted to get there, but Mother Nature had other plans. Any chance you could post some of the video or pics that you took?

I only took video. I left the picture taking up to Chip.

I'm gonna transfer it onto DVD and would be more then happy to send you a copy. I don't think this camcorder has the capability of utilizing the computer and transferring it on-line. It's a Sony analog video Hi8 (model # CCD-TRV138). At least it didn't come with the software and cables making it possible to do so.

Beware though: In some sections I had a hard time really holding the camera steady (fans and strong wind), so it sometimes gets kind of jumpy. But overall I got some really solid footage. Well worth the look-see.

BuckWoody
08-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not the greatest photographer in the world but here are a handful of pics that I got from the ceremony.

traderumor
08-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I was able to watch it last night. Davey Concepcion was a much better overall player than Ozzie Smith ever hoped to be. He clearly deserves the HOF. It was touching that he is still with the wife of his youth and they got to celebrate the honor together, who I'm sure sacrificed a lot for her husband's career. To see her come up alongside him as he struggled to speak told a lot about their family.

One of the funniest things to me was George Foster wearing a jersey to this ceremony. What, did he have a celebrity softball game to go to after the shin-dig?

Red in Chicago
08-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Nice pics Bucky...what section were you in? I had tix for 129, if I had been able to get there:(

GAC
08-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Nice pics Bucky...what section were you in? I had tix for 129, if I had been able to get there:(

We're tied of your excuse. I had a beer waiting on you and finally had to breakdown and drink it. ;)