KronoRed
08-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Keep throwing stuff at the wall

TeamBoone
08-25-2007, 11:14 PM
I've never heard of him.

Tom Servo
08-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd say he can't be any worse than what we've sent out there, but that's what we said about Dumatrait.

JaxRed
08-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Glad to see him get a chance...

MrCinatit
08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Hopefully Saarloos is DFA'ed for that move to happen

Or Stanton

flyer85
Keep throwing stuff at the wallat least he is a RHP. Starting a bad LHP against th Marlins would not work.

Matt700wlw
Or Stanton

It won't be Stanton....sadly

redsfan4445
08-25-2007, 11:21 PM
actually AA being in the playoffs hurt or maybe Cueto would be here tomorrow.. he pitched last night and struck out 11...

Caveat Emperor
08-25-2007, 11:26 PM
I'd say he can't be any worse than what we've sent out there, but that's what we said about Dumatrait.

Remember, this is the same franchise that has trotted the likes of Danny Sarafini, Josias Manzanillo, Jeff Austin and Todd Van Poppel out to the hill for games in the last 5 years.

It gets worse.

Matt700wlw
08-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Remember, this is the same franchise that has trotted the likes of Danny Sarafini, Josias Manzanillo, Jeff Austin and Todd Van Poppel out to the hill for games in the last 5 years.

It gets worse.

Now I'm sad.

fearofpopvol1
08-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm guessing they'll option Saarloos back to Louisville (especially after tonight).

redsfan4445
08-25-2007, 11:30 PM
they have to add Shearns to the 40 man roster.. somebody has to go though.. i still think its Saarlos

paulrichjr
08-25-2007, 11:34 PM
they have to add Shearns to the 40 man roster.. somebody has to go though.. i still think its Saarlos

They have plenty of possible 60 day DL guys that can free up a space.

mth123
08-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Shearn at Louisville.

137.66 IP, 6.73 K/9, 3.27 BB/9, .59 HR/9, .326 BABIP, 4.25 ERA and 3.71 FIP. As far as being successful over a few starts, he's as good a choice as anybody available in the organization. But he's a 30 Year old career minor leaguer from Columbus, OH and will be getting his first call to the bigs. Its a nice story for him but not a hope for the future IMO if he does well.

I like it when guys like this get a chance once in a while. There are really no better alternatives right now.

lollipopcurve
08-25-2007, 11:39 PM
I like it when guys like this get a chance once in a while.

Absolutely. Shearn has paid his dues big time -- hope he pitches well, gets a W and gets to enjoy the majors for a while.

edabbs44
08-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Just a sad state of affairs.

Reds Fanatic
08-25-2007, 11:52 PM
This is from Trent:

Just got word, it's Tom Shearn tomorrow for the Redlegs

From the Reds:

Tom Shearn will be making his Major League debut tomorrow after 12 minor league seasons. He turns 30 years old on Tuesday.

He went 7-10, 4.20 in 24 starts and 2 relief appearances for Louisville (143.2ip, 153h, 72r, 67er, 51bb, 109k, 9hr, .276oba).

marcshoe
08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
No great hopes for him, but considering the choices, why not? I don't get as upset about this as I did about sending Dumatrait out for a fourth start after he'd proven he has no business in the bigs right now.

fearofpopvol1
08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
This is from Trent:

Those numbers look to be disasterous at the MLB level. We can only hope hitters unfamiliarity with him will bode well.

I know the Reds are short on options, but I think I'd rather see Gosling start.

edabbs44
08-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Those numbers look to be disasterous at the MLB level. We can only hope hitters unfamiliarity with him will bode well.

I know the Reds are short on options, but I think I'd rather see Gosling start.

The unknown is much better than Gosling. He is useless.

flyer85
08-26-2007, 12:01 AM
The unknown is much better than Gosling. He is useless.I think the main reason is that the Marlins are heavy with RHB.

edabbs44
08-26-2007, 12:03 AM
I think the main reason is that the Marlins are heavy with RHB.

Gosling's 57 runners in 28 innings might have something to do with it as well.

Mario-Rijo
08-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Belisle seemed genuinely excited for Shearn to get his shot when told by the Bad Boy after the game that he would be making his 1st start up here tomorrow. Acted as though it was a pretty good thing.

When asked for a scouting report he said: Solid FB that he spots well, change-up, slider. But his pitch is a 12-6 yacker (said yacker with some emphasis), said he feels he deserves to be given the opportunity. Not word for word but pretty close to his statement.

I won't likely get to see it so hope we get a good scouting report on the game thread. Thanks in advance for any good info on the game thread tom. guys. :thumbup:

BCubb2003
08-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Transactions

8/25/07 Cincinnati Reds
Optioned RHP The Devil You Know to Triple-A Louisville; purchased the contract of RHP The Devil You Don't Know.

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 12:20 AM
The Reds didn't have one single decent option around, so I like that they gave the chance to a guy like Shearn. Nice to reward the journeyman types.

flyer85
08-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Gosling's 57 runners in 28 innings might have something to do with it as well.the AAA numbers of Gosling are better than those of Shearn. He may do well tomorrow but right now it is safe to say the Reds have no 5th starter. Makes me wonder if Maloney will get a shot.

edabbs44
08-26-2007, 12:33 AM
the AAA numbers of Gosling are better than those of Shearn. He may do well tomorrow but right now it is safe to say the Reds have no 5th starter. Makes me wonder if Maloney will get a shot.

It doesn't make much of a difference....except ruining their chances at Alvarez next season.

fearofpopvol1
08-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Gosling's 57 runners in 28 innings might have something to do with it as well.

Gosling has been bad more than he's been good, but his ERA at this level isn't terrible and I've seen him be effective at the major league level at least. I see Gosling possibly panning out as a loogy next year.

The unknown can be a scary thing.

TOBTTReds
08-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Won't Bobby Livingston just go on the 60?

RedLegSuperStar
08-26-2007, 01:12 AM
Won't Bobby Livingston just go on the 60?

That would be my bet..

red-in-la
08-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Just a sad state of affairs.

Well put!

This is just about as depressing as sending Juan Castro up to PH with the game on the line in the 9th inning.

:eek:

Hoosier Red
08-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Yes what a sad state of affairs. You guys would pee on a parade of candy. Seriously, is there anything that could make you happy about this squad.

11larkin11
08-26-2007, 03:01 AM
Yes what a sad state of affairs. You guys would pee on a parade of candy. Seriously, is there anything that could make you happy about this squad.

Ken Griffey Jr.
Adam Dunn
Brandon Phillips
Josh Hamilton
Jeff Kepppinger
Edwin Encarnacion
Aaron Harang
Jared Burton
Bill Bray
Jorge Cantu

Not to mention...
Joey Votto
Homer Bailey
Jay Bruce
Johnny Cueto

Nope, don't think I can think of anyone that gets me happy...

red-in-la
08-26-2007, 03:11 AM

I am really more of a danish and cakes person myself......

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 04:14 AM
Glad to see him get a chance, too.

If he pitches well, he'll get another start. Elizardo is currently the REDS' #3 pitcher with Belisle #4 and no one #5 (per REDS' website).

The REDS are running out of options for starters. I saw they started Santos in the Minors.

The Mets used 16 different starters last year. They were pulling guys from AA and AAA, whereever they could find them and they won the NL East by 10 games.

redsmetz
08-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Nearly every club throughout the course of a long season requires players from their minors to fill in and bolster the ML roster. At some time or another some minor league journeyman is going to get the opportunity to play a game or two as their "ML career". Shearn, frankly, is precisely the sort of player who comes up for a club depleted by injuries in their starting rotation. I hope it goes well; it very possibly won't, but I do hope he holds his own.

I do agree with others that someone will move to the 60 man DL. My guess is it will be either Castro or Freel; most likely Castro.

RFS62
08-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Transactions

8/25/07 Cincinnati Reds
Optioned RHP The Devil You Know to Triple-A Louisville; purchased the contract of RHP The Devil You Don't Know.

Yep.

JaxRed
08-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I've been rooting for Shearn to get a chance ever since I attended a Reds practice during ST. After practice all the Reds hit the clubhouse, and I headed for the parking lot. Shearn started doing laps around the complex on the sidewalk.

lollipopcurve
08-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I've been rooting for Shearn to get a chance ever since I attended a Reds practice during ST. After practice all the Reds hit the clubhouse, and I headed for the parking lot. Shearn started doing laps around the complex on the sidewalk.

He also pitched winter ball. At some point, an organization has to reward the guys who are putting in the overtime, or they lose credibility when asking for that extra yard.

edabbs44
08-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Nearly every club throughout the course of a long season requires players from their minors to fill in and bolster the ML roster. At some time or another some minor league journeyman is going to get the opportunity to play a game or two as their "ML career". Shearn, frankly, is precisely the sort of player who comes up for a club depleted by injuries in their starting rotation. I hope it goes well; it very possibly won't, but I do hope he holds his own.

I do agree with others that someone will move to the 60 man DL. My guess is it will be either Castro or Freel; most likely Castro.

If Shearn was the first (or even second) minor league kind of guy to "fill in", I think it would be a whole lot different than this. He's like the 20th to grace us with his presence. It's different when most of your pitching staff is of the Shearn mold already.

I like seeing guys like Shearn getting a shot, but it's kind of old hat at this point. I'm not going to throw a party.

wheels
08-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Gotta root for the fellow Cowtowner.

First Columbus native to don a Reds uni since Paul O'neill.

Go get 'em homeboy.

JaxRed
08-26-2007, 11:33 AM
My guess is it's someone else than Livingston

RedLegSuperStar
08-26-2007, 12:08 PM
My guess is it's someone else than Livingston

Well that just gets him on the 40 man.. someone will have to be sent down.. Saarloss or Majewski

Danny Serafini
08-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Good for Tom Shearn. I always like seeing a guy like that finally get his shot. Let's hope he can do something with it.

Blitz Dorsey
08-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Wow, I didn't know he went to Briggs. He must have grown up in the hood (Hilltop area for those familar with Columbus).

Good for him. Now let's get ourselves a sweep.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Nice to see him have a very solid first start.

fearofpopvol1
08-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I'll be the first to admit he looked better than I expected. His breaking ball is really pretty. His fastball though is pretty weak (I think he topped out at 88 or 89), but he seems to be able to locate it with the corners pretty well. I think he's one of those pitchers that can easily fool you one time around the order, maybe 2, but by the 3rd time, I think he'll struggle at the big league level. Maybe would make a good long man in the Pen, heck, maybe he'll be a 5th starter, I don't know.

As I said, he looked better than I was expecting. So, gotta give credit where credit is due (even if it's only 1 start).

GAC
08-26-2007, 09:07 PM
His future success is gona be dependent upon "location, location, location" because his fastball is almost none existent.

But a nice outing. I'm glad he got a shot.

Caveat Emperor
08-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a feeling he'll get lit up the more hitters see of him -- not just in game, but also on tape prior to his starts.

But, you can never take away having that first ML win under your belt. He's done something that very few people have the talent and determination to do, and I'm happy that he got his shot to do it.

coachw513
08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
To add the sappy background music to the story that was Tom Shearn today, I give you this postgame tidbit from CTrent:

Shearn was staying in a camper beyond center field in Louisville so he could save a month's rent in Louisville. Last night Rick Sweet called him and asked him where he was was, walked across the field and told him he was headed to the big leagues. Instead of staying in the camper, Shearn drove to Cincinnati. The hotel looked booked, so he called Gary Majewski and asked if he could stay on his couch, they stayed up going over the scouting report and Shearn finally went to bed.

Crazy stuff.

Shearn: "There were a couple of times, I asked myself what I was doing, Shearn said. I have a little girl right now, I could be home right now. I have great support, my family told me not to give up. This is my fourth or fifth year in AAA and it was getting a little tiresome, but I had great coaches in AAA and it all worked out.

"Even if they called me in and said, Tom, we appreciate it, Id still have a smile on my face, because this is what I worked for all my career to get to this point."

RFS62
08-26-2007, 09:58 PM
To add the sappy background music to the story that was Tom Shearn today, I give you this postgame tidbit from CTrent:
Shearn was staying in a camper beyond center field in Louisville so he could save a month's rent in Louisville. Last night Rick Sweet called him and asked him where he was was, walked across the field and told him he was headed to the big leagues. Instead of staying in the camper, Shearn drove to Cincinnati. The hotel looked booked, so he called Gary Majewski and asked if he could stay on his couch, they stayed up going over the scouting report and Shearn finally went to bed.

Crazy stuff.

Shearn: "There were a couple of times, I asked myself what I was doing, Shearn said. I have a little girl right now, I could be home right now. I have great support, my family told me not to give up. This is my fourth or fifth year in AAA and it was getting a little tiresome, but I had great coaches in AAA and it all worked out.

"Even if they called me in and said, Tom, we appreciate it, Id still have a smile on my face, because this is what I worked for all my career to get to this point."

That's a beautiful thing.

mth123
08-26-2007, 10:10 PM
That's a beautiful thing.

Yep. Best day of the season IMO.

Always Red
08-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Tom Shearn could be any of us, who love baseball, or even played baseball, or softball, in grade school, high school, or college.

What an incredible, wonderful thing, for the Reds win, and for Shearn to gain the W.

:beerme:

The world is a happier place tonight for people who love baseball.

TeamBoone
08-27-2007, 12:18 AM
George Grande told that story during the game today, though he added a little to it. Shearn said that after several hours of reviewing every hitter on the Marlins by the Majik Man, he finally fell asleep whill GM was still talking.

Eric_Davis
08-27-2007, 12:25 AM

Yep.

Eric_Davis
08-27-2007, 12:26 AM
These are the kind of stories the M's had in '95 when they came back from 13-1/2 out in August.

Sea Ray
08-27-2007, 12:29 AM
A guy like Shearn was an ideal choice for the young, fastball hitting Marlins. Show them a junkballing "veteran" (29 yrs old) with a big curve.

Chip R
08-27-2007, 12:51 AM
George Grande told that story during the game today, though he added a little to it. Shearn said that after several hours of reviewing every hitter on the Marlins by the Majik Man, he finally fell asleep whill GM was still talking.

I'll bet that was a special night for Shearn and now we know his story. ;)

redsmetz
08-27-2007, 06:35 AM
A guy like Shearn was an ideal choice for the young, fastball hitting Marlins. Show them a junkballing "veteran" (29 yrs old) with a big curve.

That pitch that Phillips made the leaping catch on was just filthy - it fell off the table.

Eric_Davis
08-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Tom Shearn just turned 30 about an hour ago.

It's nice that he didn't have to be in his hotel room, or out with a couple of the guys wondering at the age of 30 if he'd ever get a chance to pitch in the Bigs.

Congratulations again, Tom Shearn, and Happy Birthday!