PDA

View Full Version : Coffey sent down again to Triple-A Louisville on Saturday.

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Coffey was recalled on Friday when Livingston was placed on the disabled list. He was optioned on Saturday to make room on the roster for Saturday's starting pitcher, right-hander Matt Belisle, who was recalled from Louisville.

Screwball
08-26-2007, 01:01 AM
nm

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 01:04 AM
That thread was about Coffey being called up, this is about him going back to Louisville after Belisle returns.

Screwball
08-26-2007, 01:08 AM
Sunuvagun, ur right.

At any rate, I'm very curious as to why they would call him up with (presumably) the sole intention of sending him back down the next night.

ThirdBaseCoach
08-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Sunuvagun, ur right.

At any rate, I'm very curious as to why they would call him up with (presumably) the sole intention of sending him back down the next night.

Believe it or not, the bullpen was shorter than usual for that game. Coffey was there to be used only in an emergency. Look closely at the situations from the previous couple of games as far as the pen was concerned and you will understand. That's a result of the manager and GM communicating about personnel.

Carolina Red
08-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Hopefully we won't need him for the rest of the year.

Chi-Town Red
08-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Hopefully we won't need him for the rest of the year.:thumbup:

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Krivsky will realize he is indispensable to the bullpen, and he will be a September call-up.:D

Screwball
08-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Believe it or not, the bullpen was shorter than usual for that game. Coffey was there to be used only in an emergency. Look closely at the situations from the previous couple of games as far as the pen was concerned and you will understand. That's a result of the manager and GM communicating about personnel.

Ah, makes sense. Still, I hope they told Coffey they were going to do this in advance.

Carolina Red
08-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I'll bet Coffey has worn out two sets of tires already this season driving between Cincy and Louisville!

ThirdBaseCoach
08-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Ah, makes sense. Still, I hope they told Coffey they were going to do this in advance.

Why does it matter what they told him?

Screwball
08-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Why does it matter what they told him?

Pitchers are people too. It's pretty cold to be yanking a guy around like that without telling him ahead of time.

ThirdBaseCoach
08-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Pitchers are people too. It's pretty cold to be yanking a guy around like that without telling him ahead of time.

Trying to earn a job in the Bigs is difficult. One either has to be mentally prepared for the challenges or pack up and go home. Coffey and other players trying to earn a Big League spot understand that reality. That's the nature of this business.

GoReds33
08-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Pitchers are people too. It's pretty cold to be yanking a guy around like that without telling him ahead of time.Thats right. Pitchers are people, people who make 400k to play a game. I don't care if they told him.

Screwball
08-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Do you guys eat your young too?

ThirdBaseCoach
08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Do you guys eat your young too?

Come on screw, wake up. Many on these boards make outrageous and cruel personal statements about players, managers, coaches, GMs and owners. This is nothing like that. Coffey and other "fringe" players must know their role and do their job.

Screwball
08-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Come on screw, wake up. Many on these boards make outrageous and cruel personal statements about players, managers, coaches, GMs and owners. This is nothing like that. Coffey and other "fringe" players must know their role and do their job.

Wake up? Whatever man. You might think it's alright to jerk a player back and forth within hours of each transaction, but I don't - not if the player doesn't know it's coming.

Look, will it ruin Coffey's confidence and his career if Krivsky didn't tell him his plans? Probably not. But you just don't treat your employees that way - not if you're a class organization trying to keep your players in the right frame mentally. Coffey was an established pitcher in the Reds' bullpen for the last 2.5 years - he's not a career minor leaguer who should "know his role." I would hope they'd treat him with a little more dignity than that.

Muggerd
08-26-2007, 08:37 PM
All i know is that its kinda funny that our bullpen is being pretty darn good and now our rotation is awful.

GoReds33
08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
All i know is that its kinda funny that our bullpen is being pretty darn good and now our rotation is awful.
I wouldn't say the rotation is awful. I just think they are having a bad stretch. Hopefully the pen will still be there when the rotation comes back.:)

Muggerd
08-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't say the rotation is awful. I just think they are having a bad stretch. Hopefully the pen will still be there when the rotation comes back.:)

Out side of Harang and Arroyo we have pretty much nothing.

GoReds33
08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Out side of Harang and Arroyo we have pretty much nothing.
I guess you are right. Atleast we have some prospects. I hope this last start was the turn around for Belisle.:)

Jay Bruce
08-26-2007, 08:58 PM

I would imagine that they did tell him, since it was common knowledge that Belisle was going to start on Saturday, and a roster move was going to have to be made.

GoReds33
08-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I would imagine that they did tell him, since it was common knowledge that Belisle was going to start on Saturday, and a roster move was going to have to be made.
There needs to be a rule about that stuff. It should be similar to not calling somebody up you just sent down. Like 10 or 15 days.:)

jimbo
08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Wake up? Whatever man. You might think it's alright to jerk a player back and forth within hours of each transaction, but I don't - not if the player doesn't know it's coming.

Look, will it ruin Coffey's confidence and his career if Krivsky didn't tell him his plans? Probably not. But you just don't treat your employees that way - not if you're a class organization trying to keep your players in the right frame mentally. Coffey was an established pitcher in the Reds' bullpen for the last 2.5 years - he's not a career minor leaguer who should "know his role." I would hope they'd treat him with a little more dignity than that.

I respect your opinion screwball, but I have to say I disagree with you here. These guys are getting paid good money and playing at the highest level of the sport. If getting called up and sent back down in the same 24 hours is a problem for them, then they have bigger problems. It isn't lack of disrespect, it's doing what they feel is the best for the team at that given time. Knowing what type of person Coffey seems to be, I doubt very little that he has a problem with the decision.

I don't understand why everyone always seems to be worried about these player's "mentality." These guys don't need to be babied, their grown men. Suck it up and do what's asked of you. If you remain focused and get the job done, your day will come.

Screwball
08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I respect your opinion screwball, but I have to say I disagree with you here. These guys are getting paid good money and playing at the highest level of the sport. If getting called up and sent back down in the same 24 hours is a problem for them, then they have bigger problems. It isn't lack of disrespect, it's doing what they feel is the best for the team at that given time. Knowing what type of person Coffey seems to be, I doubt very little that he has a problem with the decision.

I don't understand why everyone always seems to be worried about these player's "mentality." These guys don't need to be babied, their grown men. Suck it up and do what's asked of you. If you remain focused and get the job done, your day will come.

Fair enough. I'm not usually one to call for a guy to be babied, but when a guy goes from being one of your most reliable relievers to horribly ineffective without any trips to the DL or loss of velocity, it leads me to believe the problem is mental. I'm just of the opinion that the Reds should do everything they can to keep him focused mentally.

Having said that, I think you're probably right as far as it not even bothering a guy like Coffey - which basically renders my entire point moot - but I still think how an organization handles a player can have a pretty significant effect on how he performs on the field.

ChatterRed
08-26-2007, 09:31 PM
There's a pretty funny picture on Lance's blog of Coffey as the Human Torch. Good stuff.

GoReds33
08-26-2007, 09:31 PM
As my dad says,"If losing is the worst thing to happen to you then you lived a good life."

jnwohio
08-26-2007, 09:47 PM
At this point, I'd think Coffey must know that whatever future he has in MLB certainly will be with another organization. Every successfull turn by Burton and Bray just underscores that fact.

So while it would be nice if he was told up front that barring something strange he was only around for the one nite, being sent right back down should not have surprised him. Just looking around and doing the math on his own, Coffey had to see 2 starters were needed in the next two days which meant unless Eddie Guardado got sent out or DLed or they went to 13 pitchers, he almost certainly would go down.

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
I may be the eternal optimist, but if he is called up in September and pitches well, we can expect to see him next year.

Vada Pinson Fan
08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I may be the eternal optimist, but if he is called up in September and pitches well, we can expect to see him next year.

Man I hope not! Coffey needs to get his act together in AAA. Keep Todd Coffey there. No September call up even though the Bats season will be over. Send Coffey to winter ball. Hope that he can get better and get people out and then b4 the start of the 2008 regular season; trade him if at all possible.

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
If we were out of the race, it might happen. I don't think the Reds will take any unneccesary chances since they're trying to win the division.

Screwball
08-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Man I hope not! Coffey needs to get his act together in AAA.

That's the thing - he has. He absolutely dominates AAA hitters. Coffey's line: 1-0 in 16.2 IP, 2.16 ERA; 9.72 K/9; 1.09 BB/9; 9.00 K/BB; 0.00 HR/9; 0.90 WHIP; and a FIP of 1.76. Like I said, I really think there is some sort of mental block he has against Major League hitting, and any help, guidance or support he gets from the organization can only benefit him if/when he pitches for the Reds again.

Jay Bruce
08-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Coffey needs to get his act together in AAA. Keep Todd Coffey there. No September call up even though the Bats season will be over. Send Coffey to winter ball. Hope that he can get better and get people out and then b4 the start of the 2008 regular season; trade him if at all possible.

I believe that Coffey will be much better next year, with a little bit of luck. He can strike people out, and doesn't walk an obscene amount. His HR/9 is admittedly awful at 2.22. However, his HR/FB ratio is 27.5%. A pitcher with average luck would have this number at 10%. So, the amount of homeruns given up by Coffey this year could very well possible be chalked up to luck and would equalize over a larger sample size. If his HR/FB can equalize, Coffey would be a perfectly fine setupman next year.

jnwohio
08-27-2007, 12:10 AM
From what the talking and writing heads have had to say this year, Coffey throws a ball that is straight and "light" which means it is easy for batters to get squared on and tends to jump off the bat when they do square it (the old the harder they throw'em the further they go when hit cliche). Thus he has to have pin point command to keep the ball out of good hitting zones because he doesn't often "miss" bats when his pitches are in good hiting zones.

Which brings up the next point. I have also seen or heard from several sources that he needs to be able to throw an out pitch for a strike. The suggestion from Brantley has been that this should be his slider. Intestingly, of the few quotes I saw during this last brief stay one was that Coffey said he had been pounding away with his slider in Louisville and it was starting to show results for him.

These problems aren't really new for Coffey. He was Ok but not great last year as a set up man but an outright failure on a couple of occassions when they tried to elevate him to closer. He may get his act in order and go on to have a solid if not great career but after what has transpired in Cincy the last 2 years, it needs to be elsewhere for both him and the organization.

texasdave
09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
It is time to shut Todd Coffey down for the year. His season probably should have ended with Louisville's. That would have allowed him to go into the off-season feeling good about himself. There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with him since he was throwing mid-90's last night. One could make a case that he has been bitten by bad luck this season, but when you throw the ball over the middle of the plate bad luck usually comes along for the ride. Shut him down. Tell him to go and forget that 2007 ever happened. Convince him that 2007 was a fluke and that all will be well come spring training. This club needs for him to bounce back - as desperate as it is for anything resembling major-league quality pitching. I wouldn't even attempt to trade him. His value has to be at its low point.

Triples
09-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Screwball:

I'm with you on this when you used the words "dignity" and "class organization". I do believe that minor league players need to be able to deal with the mental aspect of being called up one day only to be sent down shortly there after. But irrespective of the mental anguish issue, IMO it would be classless for any club to call up a guy one day only to send him down the next without telling him what the plan is. Everyone includeing baseball players regardless of how much money they make (short of wife beaters, pedofiles,murders and rapists) deserve to be shown dignity in the way they are treated. Outside of baseball, or sports in general, employers have to make tough decisions about employees everyday. And sometimes those decisions are non in the best interest of the employee (layoffs, plant closings, even firiings, etc) but that doesn't mean the employer has the right treat the employees in an undignified way. Unfortunately, that is the way many people get treated these days and those employers would be classless too.

durl
09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Coffey wanted to be the closer last year. A closer has to be mentally tough. If he can't handle going up and down throughout the year, he doesn't have what it takes. Riding the rail between the minors and majors is part of the game for many. At least Coffey has been given MANY chances this year to keep his spot on the big-league roster. That should boost his confidence.

Also, if he could simply keep his ERA down to a respectable level, he wouldn't be going DOWN all the time. In that respect, he has overwhelming control over his own destiny.

GoReds33
09-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't understand why Coffey was called up in September. I know he needs to see some hitters before he can start getting them out. He just hurts the morale of this team. Imagine your train of thought when he comes in. Maybe if he comes in and relieves you. You are probably thinking, "Well I screwed up this time."

jnwohio
09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't understand why Coffey was called up in September. I know he needs to see some hitters before he can start getting them out. He just hurts the morale of this team. Imagine your train of thought when he comes in. Maybe if he comes in and relieves you. You are probably thinking, "Well I screwed up this time."

I agree. A picture is worth thousands of words as in the look on Dunn's face when the LoDuca homer off Coffey bounced back onto the field and Dunn grabbed it bare handed on the fly and tossed it off.

Up until that point the guys were battling hard and carrying themselves like they believed that they would get the last biggest hit and pull the fat out of the fire. Afterwards I would not say they looked like they quit but their spirit was certainly sapped.

And another great picture was Hopper sitting on the bench after the dash to score the from 1st being ministered to like a fighter in his corner between rounds then later his battered look in the outfield after one of the bombs.