PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton amazes me

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2007, 12:44 PM
After a 3-for-5 game last night, Josh Hamilton's hitting line for the 2007 season now stands at .292/.380/.564 - .944 OPS. 13 doubles, 2 triples, and 17 homers in 250 atbats. That absolutely amazes me, that after only playing 15 games in the past four seasons. This is one of the most amazing things I have seen in my 20 years of life.

If you project his numbers out over a full season of 600 atbats or so you get this:

31 doubles, 5 triples, 41 homers, 77 walks.

And that's as a rookie. What will he do when he gains more experience and learns the league a little better? Goodness. I think I'll echo Dunn's comments that he made in spring training on Josh Hamilton: (paraphrasing) "Josh Hamilton is one of the most talented baseball players I have ever seen." That kid is an absolute joy to watch play. I hope he stays clean and healthy and spends the next decade in Cincinnati because if he does, he will put up some special numbers by the time he is finished playing.

toledodan
08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
great post. josh has a real chance to become an elite player if he stays on this course. the talent is there in the likes us reds fans haven't seen since eric davis came up. IMO josh will be double the player ED was and thats saying something!

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 12:49 PM
It's one of the best things I've seen in a long time.

I still....5 months into the season, stop whatever I am doing to watch him bat.....

Whatever "it" is.....he has it.

Redmachine2003
08-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Keppy is also starting to reach that amazement point. He just keeps hitting and hitting and can play all over the place. To bad he doesn't have Freel speed. He would make one heck of a lead off hitter.

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Keppy is also starting to reach that amazement point. He just keeps hitting and hitting and can play all over the place. To bad he doesn't have Freel speed. He would make one heck of a lead off hitter.

As much as we all get on Krivsky (and probably deservingly so)...let's be fair.

He may have obtained the 3 biggest steals in baseball over the past 2 years.

Brandon Phillips
Josh Hamilton
Jeff Keppinger.

That's strong.

DoogMinAmo
08-26-2007, 01:12 PM

Brandon Phillips
Josh Hamilton
Jeff Keppinger.

That's strong.

Dont forget Jared Burton, who cost the Reds a mere 50 G.

Krivsky has the right guys in place to find talent, and he is adept at aquiring talent. Can he assemble a ball club though?

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Dont forget Jared Burton, who cost the Reds a mere 50 G.

Not sure how I forgot him.

Make it 4.

Superdude
08-26-2007, 01:41 PM
"Josh Hamilton is one of the most talented baseball players I have ever seen."

I remember us all wondering what in the world Dunn meant by that. I don't think anybody thought he meant it literally. We're always worried about prospects being ruined because Wayne isn't handling them correctly. Hamilton takes three or four years off, jumps up 3 levels and mashes like nobody's business.

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 01:47 PM
I remember us all wondering what in the world Dunn meant by that. I don't think anybody thought he meant it literally. We're always worried about prospects being ruined because Wayne isn't handling them correctly. Hamilton takes three or four years off, jumps up 3 levels and mashes like nobody's business.

I'm almost curious to see what he would be if not for his personal problems...

Of course, without his personal problems, he wouldn't be a Red....that's why I said "almost"

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 01:50 PM

I like Freel...but he's nothing more than a regular sub at this point....not even a super sub anymore

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Hamilton has been easily the best part about this season. If not for him, there would be few reasons to tolerate this season, but from an enjoyment perspective he has hepled a lot.

I remember the day the Reds got Hamilton. My brother and I were discussing getting Hamilton in the rule 5 draft a couple of days earlier, and I was quite dissapointed when I went on to RotoWorld seeing the headline that the Cubs had picked him up. That was pretty dissapointing until the details actually came out. I'm pretty happy that Krivsky and I were thinking the same way that day.

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Hamilton has been easily the best part about this season. If not for him, there would be few reasons to tolerate this season, but from an enjoyment perspective he has hepled a lot.

I remember the day the Reds got Hamilton. My brother and I were discussing getting Hamilton in the rule 5 draft a couple of days earlier, and I was quite dissapointed when I went on to RotoWorld seeing the headline that the Cubs had picked him up. That was pretty dissapointing until the details actually came out. I'm pretty happy that Krivsky and I were thinking the same way that day.

I also remember people wondering why they wasted their time on this druggie, who wasted his talent?

Where did those people go?

I was all for it....I figured, give the guy a second chance...people in his situation deserve that, at least.

I'm glad the Reds felt the same way.

Blitz Dorsey
08-26-2007, 02:06 PM
After a 3-for-5 game last night, Josh Hamilton's hitting line for the 2007 season now stands at .292/.380/.564 - .944 OPS. 13 doubles, 2 triples, and 17 homers in 250 atbats. That absolutely amazes me, that after only playing 15 games in the past four seasons. This is one of the most amazing things I have seen in my 20 years of life.

If you project his numbers out over a full season of 600 atbats or so you get this:

31 doubles, 5 triples, 41 homers, 77 walks.

And that's as a rookie. What will he do when he gains more experience and learns the league a little better? Goodness. I think I'll echo Dunn's comments that he made in spring training on Josh Hamilton: (paraphrasing) "Josh Hamilton is one of the most talented baseball players I have ever seen." That kid is an absolute joy to watch play. I hope he stays clean and healthy and spends the next decade in Cincinnati because if he does, he will put up some special numbers by the time he is finished playing.

Not to mention his wife is really hot.

But seriously, I echo your comments. If he stays healthy, it is going to be a pleasure to watch him over the next decade. And we've got him on the cheap for a few more seasons which will (hopefully) allow us to go out and get some pitching to go along with him and Bruce (2/3 of our OF of the future).

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 02:12 PM
I also remember people wondering why they wasted their time on this druggie, who wasted his talent?

Where did those people go?

I was all for it....I figured, give the guy a second chance...people in his situation deserve that, at least.

I'm glad the Reds felt the same way.

I know, I think it was more people keeping their excitement under wraps, because let's face it, it was a long shot. But when you have a chance to acquire that level of talent, you do it.

Hamilton has been my favorite player since the day we drafted him, and couldn't be more pleased with the way the season has gone for Hamilton. Since he started getting involved with drugs I was thinking about the Reds somehow getting him for nothing. It took 4 years for it to happen.

What I still don't understand is why tampa didn't protect him. I mean look at their 40 man at the time. There was a lot of worthless players there. When you are a team as bad as Tampa, you need to hold on to every bit of talent possible, even with Hamilton's case. Watching Hamilton now makes it hard to understand how the worst team in baseball couldn't find any more room for them in their organization, especially when by all accounts how pissed off they were that the Reds took him.

membengal
08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I remember getting chided for musing at the end of spring whether Hamilton could OPS above .800 this year.

I may have been pessimistic with that baseline.

Damndest year I have ever had the privilege of seeing.

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I remember getting chided for musing at the end of spring whether Hamilton could OPS above .800 this year.

I may have been pessimistic with that baseline.

Damndest year I have ever had the privilege of seeing.

I remember in Spring Training trying not to get overly excited about the tear he went on...."this can't last. No way. It's spring training. He's not facing the pitching he will."

I am no longer a smart person :cool:

mbgrayson
08-26-2007, 02:48 PM
My March 29th prediction on Hamilton (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55977&page=4):

I know I am wishing more than thinking, but I think many in this thread are underestimating how well Hamilton will do. I predict he will hit .285/.350/.500 this year, and be a rookie of the year candidate. (Absolutely nothing to base those numbers on...just a hopeful guess.....)

How we lookin?

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 02:48 PM
My March 29th prediction on Hamilton (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55977&page=4):

How we lookin?

Good call.

:beerme:

DoogMinAmo
08-26-2007, 02:50 PM

How we lookin?

.292/.380/.564/.944

Undershot, although he is 0-2 so far today.

BoydsOfSummer
08-26-2007, 03:26 PM
He's a big leaguer alright. If Ryan Braun wasn't blowing up so big right now, I think hammy would be the front runner for ROY. He might still get it with the performance/story combination.

OldXOhio
08-26-2007, 03:31 PM

Brandon Phillips
Josh Hamilton
Jeff Keppinger.

That's strong.

4. Bronson Arroyo

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Bronson Arroyo

He actually had to give up something for him.....but yes, great trade.

Phillips, Hamilton, Burton, and Keppinger were given up for almost nothing.

OldXOhio
08-26-2007, 03:33 PM
He actually had to give up something for him.....but yes, great trade.

Phillips, Hamilton, Burton, and Keppinger were given up for almost nothing.

Have you seen WMP lately? I'd call that a steal.

Matt700wlw
08-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Have you seen WMP lately? I'd call that a steal.

I didn't say he gave up much, but he gave up something ;)

MartyFan
08-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I know, I think it was more people keeping their excitement under wraps, because let's face it, it was a long shot. But when you have a chance to acquire that level of talent, you do it.

Hamilton has been my favorite player since the day we drafted him, and couldn't be more pleased with the way the season has gone for Hamilton. Since he started getting involved with drugs I was thinking about the Reds somehow getting him for nothing. It took 4 years for it to happen.

What I still don't understand is why tampa didn't protect him. I mean look at their 40 man at the time. There was a lot of worthless players there. When you are a team as bad as Tampa, you need to hold on to every bit of talent possible, even with Hamilton's case. Watching Hamilton now makes it hard to understand how the worst team in baseball couldn't find any more room for them in their organization, especially when by all accounts how pissed off they were that the Reds took him.

The other player that I believe will be a HUGE impact player that the Reds picked up this year is Jorge Cantu.

mth123
08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I didn't say he gave up much, but he gave up something ;)

Hindsight is nice. At the time he was giving up his starting LF (who he backfilled by signing Hatte and moving Dunn back out there) for a guy who couldn't crack Boston's top 7 rotation spots and was signed to a pretty high dollar commitment for his role. It ended up being a great deal and is probably WK's best "GM" type move. The other moves are more indicative of a very good scout.

Some one said earlier that WK and/or his organization was good at finding talent which is a very "scoutish" type of activity and I agree. His finds of Phillips, Hamilton, Burton, Keppinger, etc have really helped the franchise along.

They also said that he hasn't proven he can put a team together Which I also agree with. Putting a team together is more a "GM" type of activity, and filling the important pressing needs with Conine, Stanton, Cormier and Saarloos is a failure. WK helped this team into position with his scouting type skills and then blew it with his GM type skills IMO. I like having him in the organization and his ability to add some talent has helped. I'm just not convinced that he is a GM who can out a team together.

Big Klu
08-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I like Freel...but he's nothing more than a regular sub at this point....not even a super sub anymore

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Submersible_named_Star_III_in_front_of_Scripps_Ins titution_of_Oceanography.JPG/200px-Submersible_named_Star_III_in_front_of_Scripps_Ins titution_of_Oceanography.JPG

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Hindsight is nice. At the time he was giving up his starting LF (who he backfilled by signing Hatte and moving Dunn back out there) for a guy who couldn't crack Boston's top 7 rotation spots and was signed to a pretty high dollar commitment for his role. It ended up being a great deal and is probably WK's best "GM" type move. The other moves are more indicative of a very good scout.

I agree. This is a really good point.

Most people forget that when that trade was announced, there was a lot of unhappy people on this board. I recall even a few people wanting Krivsky canned for that alone.

At the time, I think it was a pretty fair trade. both teams were moving some of their depth to get a need. Unfortunately for Boston, Pena didn't fill the need, and they ended up coveting a starter.

From a value standpoint I still think it was a fair trade, but obviously, the Reds needed the pitcher more anyways, and Arroyo fit the bill.

Dan
08-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Brandon Phillips
Josh Hamilton
Jeff Keppinger.

That's strong.

Bronson Arroyo for WMP should count for something too.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Krivsky also picked up Jon Coutlangus for nothing.

OldXOhio
08-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree. This is a really good point.

Most people forget that when that trade was announced, there was a lot of unhappy people on this board. I recall even a few people wanting Krivsky canned for that alone.

At the time, I think it was a pretty fair trade. both teams were moving some of their depth to get a need. Unfortunately for Boston, Pena didn't fill the need, and they ended up coveting a starter.

From a value standpoint I still think it was a fair trade, but obviously, the Reds needed the pitcher more anyways, and Arroyo fit the bill.

No offense AK, but the fact that there were a lot of unhappy people on here after the Arroyo trade was announced doesn't matter a hill of beans. Keep in mind, there were more than a few on here who P&M'd about the Josh Hamilton signing at the time as well. This board is full of knowledgeable folks who know as much or more about baseball than anyone I've ever encountered. But let's not act like it's some sort of authority with which we should gauge the success of the FO's dealings. The Arroyo trade provided the Reds with exactly what they needed: starting pitching. They dealt from a strength in getting said commodity. Regardless of what WMP has done to this point, it's been a good trade for the Reds then and now. That said, I don't necessarily buy into this "hindsight" theory. Hindsight shouldn't be used to justify the trade, only to convince us that it wasn't just a good trade for the Reds, it was a great one.

vaticanplum
08-26-2007, 04:40 PM

His time was over in Tampa. Even though this appears to be the time that Hamilton has gone sober for good (for now), I'm sure there had been similar promises before while he was still with Tampa Bay. He always relapsed. Yes, he's talented, but this was an organization that had a bird's eye view for years of just how heartbreakingly talent can be wasted. The Devil Rays' relationship with Hamilton was that of an addict: at a certain point, you have to let go to protect your own sanity. And if that happens to be the time that the addict comes out on top, then it's just how it's meant to be anyway.

Even if Hamilton had stayed sober and stayed in Tampa, I'm not convinced he would have been as successful there. I think he desperately needed a change of scenery, a whole new life to support his new choices and allow him to flourish. And I think the organization probably knew that.

Jpup
08-26-2007, 05:00 PM
He also would not have had the Narrons in Tampa. I would say that Johnny helps him out a lot.

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
His time was over in Tampa. Even though this appears to be the time that Hamilton has gone sober for good (for now), I'm sure there had been similar promises before while he was still with Tampa Bay. He always relapsed. Yes, he's talented, but this was an organization that had a bird's eye view for years of just how heartbreakingly talent can be wasted. The Devil Rays' relationship with Hamilton was that of an addict: at a certain point, you have to let go to protect your own sanity. And if that happens to be the time that the addict comes out on top, then it's just how it's meant to be anyway.

Even if Hamilton had stayed sober and stayed in Tampa, I'm not convinced he would have been as successful there. I think he desperately needed a change of scenery, a whole new life to support his new choices and allow him to flourish. And I think the organization probably knew that.

Except that Tampa let it be known that they were very displeased with the Reds taking Hamilton in the 1st place.

pedro
08-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Except that Tampa let it be known that they were very displeased with the Reds taking Hamilton in the 1st place.

Too bad. Maybe they should have protected him then.

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 05:16 PM
No offense AK, but the fact that there were a lot of unhappy people on here after the Arroyo trade was announced doesn't matter a hill of beans. Keep in mind, there were more than a few on here who P&M'd about the Josh Hamilton signing at the time as well. This board is full of knowledgeable folks who know as much or more about baseball than anyone I've ever encountered. But let's not act like it's some sort of authority with which we should gauge the success of the FO's dealings. The Arroyo trade provided the Reds with exactly what they needed: starting pitching. They dealt from a strength in getting said commodity. Regardless of what WMP has done to this point, it's been a good trade for the Reds then and now. That said, I don't necessarily buy into this "hindsight" theory. Hindsight shouldn't be used to justify the trade, only to convince us that it wasn't just a good trade for the Reds, it was a great one.

My point was to suggest that it wasn't a slam dunk deal at the time. Pena had a fair amount of trade value at the time before his star stopped shining. That wasn't just the tone on Redszone, that was the general thought in the baseball world.

It has been a good trade, but it was pretty even at the time of the deal IMO.

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Too bad. Maybe they should have protected him then.

That's my point. Why wouldn't they protect him if they wanted him so badly?

vaticanplum
08-26-2007, 05:23 PM
What evidence do we have that Tampa Bay was upset over the move? It's pretty simple, TB: you don't protect good players, someone's going to take them. I don't remember hearing that, but if it's the case, then they just dug their own grave, that's all.

Mario-Rijo
08-26-2007, 06:55 PM

Heck I have been around many addicts both in my family and in my job (Corrections) and if you know anything at all about them it's that it's extremely easy to get sucked into what later seems to be deceit. But in fact it's not them deceiving you so much as it is them deceiving themselves.

3,4,6,8 times you go through this with them and it seems a fight which cannot be overcome. And then all of a sudden it goes extremely one way (for the best) or the other (more often than not it's the other). It just feels like nothing can be done but to allow them to reach the bottom depths of despair and catch them before it's too late.

If you haven't been there or seen it 1st hand often it's hard to know when that time is and apparently the Rays felt confident that although he had made some progress he was so far away yet that no one in their right mind would take that kind of risk at that juncture.

Ironically enough TB should have known the despair this organization had for getting premium talent in the system but they didn't and they lost him. But again irony would prevail as the thing that Hamilton perhaps needed most was to hit the bottom badly enough that it would give him the opportunity to be yanked clean out of his own personal "Death Valley". Yes good 'ole Florida.

Here's to hoping that he continues to gain the strength to fight off the urges which are ever-present from wherever it is he is gaining it.

Here's to JH :thumbup:

Topcat
08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
He's a big leaguer alright. If Ryan Braun wasn't blowing up so big right now, I think hammy would be the front runner for ROY. He might still get it with the performance/story combination.

Hunter Pence says hi , but what Josh has done is unreal and there is no one but Disney who would dare to try to write this story line.

Falls City Beer
08-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Pence and Hamilton have missed time to injury. Braun's the runaway ROY.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2007, 07:38 PM

I actually agree with you on something.

1. Ryan Braun
2. Josh Hamilton
3. Hunter Pence

That's how I would rank them.

Topcat
08-26-2007, 07:42 PM

I agree to FCB but to discount Pence's body of work is a mistake. I do believe Hamiltons has a better future than Pence but on this years work I rate Pence higher.

GAC
08-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Not sure how I forgot him.

Make it 4.

What about Bill Bray? 24 years old, making $382,000. I realize it may be a relatively small window in '07, but he has appeared in 8 games since coing back from the DL, and posted a 3-0 record, 1.35 ERA, 1.20 WHIP. In 6.2 innings, he has given up 1 ER.

Now that he is healthy, I think this kid is gonna excel.

Chip R
08-26-2007, 11:00 PM

I think it was just a gamble that no one wold pick him up due to his personal history. Everyone knew that he was talented but the woods are filled with guys with great talent who had personal problems bring them down. Even on a guy who is straight as a arrow selecting him in the Rule 5 draft is a huge gamble. If he were a 6 year minor leage free agent it wouldn't be such a gamble. But selecting a guy who not only has to stay on your team all year long but is a crack addict is a tremendous gamble. It's like hitting on 19 in Blackjack. TB figured no one would pick him and he could stay down in their system and maybe he'd flourish and if everything was OK, he could be in the bigs by 09 or 2010. Or, he'd relapse and be out of baseball. And even if someone did pick him he'd be offered back to them by the time ST was over. Don't cry any tears for TB. They have some pretty good talent in that organization. Josh may not have even got a shot there. He definitely wouldn't have got the big league experience he got this year.

TeamBoone
08-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Wasn't Josh working with Narron's brother even before he was selected by the Cubs? If so, that could have a lot to do with how he came to be a Red.

Mario-Rijo
08-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Wasn't Josh working with Narron's brother even before he was selected by the Cubs? If so, that could have a lot to do with how he came to be a Red.

Negative. The story goes that Krivsky was all set to acquire him before he even knew that the Narron's had a personal relationship with him. It may have been the icing on the cake however.

Ltlabner
08-27-2007, 07:54 AM
So when the off-season comes, does Johnny Narron travel back with Josh to where-ever Josh's home town is?

And where is his home town?

I guess I worry about having a year of success, and modified-big league lifestyle, and then suddenly being tossed back into XYZ town-usa without your saftey net (ie. Narron) that it will toss him a major curve. Hopefully, (and I'm confident they are) the team is already planning for these eventualities.

Either way, Josh has worked his tail off and deserves kudos for his sucess.

Spitball
08-27-2007, 08:37 AM
So when the off-season comes, does Johnny Narron travel back with Josh to where-ever Josh's home town is?

And where is his home town?

I guess I worry about having a year of success, and modified-big league lifestyle, and then suddenly being tossed back into XYZ town-usa without your saftey net (ie. Narron) that it will toss him a major curve. Hopefully, (and I'm confident they are) the team is already planning for these eventualities.

Either way, Josh has worked his tail off and deserves kudos for his sucess.

I'm betting his acceptance of Jesus Christ, along with his love for his wife and daughters, will do more good than Johnny Narron...let's hope.

BoydsOfSummer
08-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd return him for the small fee of David Price andf Scott Kazmir.:D

KittyDuran
08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Not to sound too sexist... but I like how he looks in uniform - like it was made for him to wear. Like the article in the WP said earlier this year...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312_4.html

...Josh, tall and tan, built like a Greek god, covered in tattoos, handsome as the day is long...

:thumbup:

wheels
08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Not to sound too sexist... but I like how he looks in uniform - like it was made for him to wear. Like the article in the WP said earlier this year...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312_4.html

:thumbup:

Why would that be sexist?

If we men can babble on about chicks, you have every right to do the same about guys.

KittyDuran
08-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Why would that be sexist?

If we men can babble on about chicks, you have every right to do the same about guys.In my almost 40 years of liking baseball (and sports) I've found that when female sports fans talk about male athletes in terms other than performance on the field, it makes men very uncomfortable.

Always Red
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
In my almost 40 years of liking baseball (and sports) I've found that when female sports fans talk about male athletes in terms other than performance on the field, it makes men very uncomfortable.

Nah, it's a whole new world, Kitty.

Fair is fair! ;)

vaticanplum
08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
In my almost 40 years of liking baseball (and sports) I've found that when female sports fans talk about male athletes in terms other than performance on the field, it makes men very uncomfortable.

It's why men tend not to like Derek Jeter to an unreasonable degree. Derek Jeter is an empirically beautiful man, and deep down, all men recognize this. Then there comes a moment when they recognize that they recognize this, and this makes them feel gay. Feeling gay begets OMG dErEK je2eR is sooooooo oVERRRateed!!!!111!!!

This is fact. I did a science fair project on it.

GullyFoyle
08-27-2007, 11:37 PM
It's why men tend not to like Derek Jeter to an unreasonable degree. Derek Jeter is an empirically beautiful man, and deep down, all men recognize this. Then there comes a moment when they recognize that they recognize this, and this makes them feel gay. Feeling gay begets OMG dErEK je2eR is sooooooo oVERRRateed!!!!111!!!

Ehhh... If your talking handsome I'd have to say... Josh > Jeter, but I'll leave it for the ladies to decide....

(boy this thread has taken a turn :p:)

BCubb2003
08-28-2007, 12:23 AM
"We're not selling jeans here."

-- Billy Beane

vaticanplum
08-28-2007, 12:25 AM
"We're not selling jeans here."

-- Billy Beane

Billy Beane is full of crap. He has a fantastically good-looking team. The whole Moneyball thing was a facade -- he just doesn't want people to know his real secret.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about here, but I'm absolutely sure I'm right.

Caveat Emperor
08-28-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about here, but I'm absolutely sure I'm right.

Quote of the week material right here. :thumbup:

KronoRed
08-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Hire this lady to be a Reds beat writer :D

RFS62
08-28-2007, 09:34 AM

That makes you executive material in my world.

We'd give you the whole east coast to run.

membengal
08-28-2007, 09:58 PM
How are Ellison/Hopper striking everyone?

Similarly amazing?

Because I have choice words for what happened tonite in the DH with the line-ups, but I am not allowed to say them on here. Probably just as well.

GAC
08-28-2007, 10:15 PM

So the reason why I don't really care for a handsome athlete is because I'm possibly hiding gay tendencies???

That explains why all those years I was calling Jose Canseco a jerk I was staring at his butt. :lol:

What ever happened with kids doing the dry ice smoking volcano thingy for science fair projects?

TOBTTReds
08-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Because I have choice words for what happened tonite in the DH with the line-ups, but I am not allowed to say them on here. Probably just as well.

I'm with you. I think the lineups are atrocious (sp?). Hambone has to be in one at least.

toledodan
08-28-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm with you. I think the lineups are atrocious (sp?). Hambone has to be in one at least.

chris, i agree 100%. the game one lineup was set for failure from the start. granted EZ didn't pich all that well, but the bottom of our lineup was awful. not starting hamilton either game is a joke as well.

vaticanplum
08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
So the reason why I don't really care for a handsome athlete is because I'm possibly hiding gay tendencies???

That explains why all those years I was calling Jose Canseco a jerk I was staring at his butt. :lol:

What ever happened with kids doing the dry ice smoking volcano thingy for science fair projects?

Um, no. I said it makes them "feel gay", not feel attracted to someone, ie. the fact that the recognize an empirically good-looking man is something they're not "supposed" to do. Whatever, this is too off-topic.

RBA
08-29-2007, 12:39 AM

I get that all the time from other men. They don't like me since I am an empirically beautiful man. Thanks, I was wonder what was wrong with me. I'm too handsome for my own good. :beerme:

RBA
08-29-2007, 12:43 AM
Um, no. I said it makes them "feel gay", not feel attracted to someone, ie. the fact that the recognize an empirically good-looking man is something they're not "supposed" to do. Whatever, this is too off-topic.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/KappaJota/yankee.jpg

:eek: Now I get it. :p:

Red in Chicago
08-29-2007, 12:46 AM

Now THAT'S HOT:beerme:

Yachtzee
08-29-2007, 12:47 AM

I don't know. Most of the folks I've heard discuss Jeter as overrated tend to speak of terms of him being overrated as a defensive shortstop. The feeling is that the Yankees would be much better off defensively if Jeter had ceded short to A-Rod and moved to second. A-Rod isn't exactly a dog-face, so I don't know how much this theory holds true.

Also, did your science fair project isolate those who feel "Jeter is overrated because he's pretty and makes me feel gay" from the "Jeter is overrated because I have an irrational dislike for the Yankees" group? And what about the placebo group, who feel that Juan Castro is "Manos de Oro?"

;)

pedro
08-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Ehhh... If your talking handsome I'd have to say... Josh > Jeter, but I'll leave it for the ladies to decide....

(boy this thread has taken a turn :p:)

Jeter's way better looking than Josh.

flyer85
08-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Hire this lady to be a Reds beat writer :Dforget that, sounds like the next GM.

Red in Chicago
08-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Jeter's way better looking than Josh.

but billy bray is hotter than both of them:p:
mmmm mmmm good;)

Yachtzee
08-29-2007, 12:58 AM

We've already had the discussion about posting pics of Hot Chicks on Redszone. Do we need to discuss Beefcake now too?

pedro
08-29-2007, 01:10 AM
but billy bray is hotter than both of them:p:
mmmm mmmm good;)

yeah, I'll take your word for that RIL. :)

pedro
08-29-2007, 01:11 AM

Is it just me or does that looks like a bad photo shop job to anyone else?

Matt700wlw
08-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Is it just me or does that looks like a bad photo shop job to anyone else?

What gives you that idea? ;)

KronoRed
08-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Bad is being nice, failure to cut out and paste correctly is an automatic failing grade

GAC
08-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Also, did your science fair project isolate those who feel "Jeter is overrated because he's pretty and makes me feel gay" from the "Jeter is overrated because I have an irrational dislike for the Yankees" group? And what about the placebo group, who feel that Juan Castro is "Manos de Oro?"

;)

What about all the ballplayers we like or admire that happen to also be good looking?

And where does that leave the ugly ones? :lol:

And is the reason women hate Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson is because it makes them "feel gay"? Or is it just for men?

But we digress. ;)

RFS62
08-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I get that all the time from other men. They don't like me since I am an empirically beautiful man. Thanks, I was wonder what was wrong with me. I'm too handsome for my own good. :beerme:

Yep, I feel your pain.

It's a burden.

vaticanplum
08-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I blame Kitty for this.

Roy Tucker
08-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Sometimes I can be extremely dense.

Both of my daughters and wife like Josh Hamilton. For my youngest, that's not a total surprise because she is the baseball fan (I was so proud of her, at Friday night's game in the late innings of a blowout, Jorge Cantu pinch hits and she taps me on the shoulder and says "when did they get this guy?"). But my wife and middle daughter don't really care about baseball (heathens!).

So I thought they liked Hamilton because of his story of overcoming addiction, getting back together with his wife, overcoming adversity, success in the big leagues, blah blah blah.

After reading this thread, I asked them last night why they like him (independently) and they both looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forehead and said "because he has a really nice butt".

vaticanplum
08-29-2007, 09:50 AM

Both of my daughters and wife like Josh Hamilton. For my youngest, that's not a total surprise because she is the baseball fan (I was so proud of her, at Friday night's game in the late innings of a blowout, Jorge Cantu pinch hits and she taps me on the shoulder and says "when did they get this guy?"). But my wife and middle daughter don't really care about baseball (heathens!).

So I thought they liked Hamilton because of his story of overcoming addiction, getting back together with his wife, overcoming adversity, success in the big leagues, blah blah blah.

After reading this thread, I asked them last night why they like him (independently) and they both looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forehead and said "because he has a really nice butt".

That made me teary.

SunDeck
08-29-2007, 10:27 AM
When Ron Oester coached 3rd base, my wife always seemed to get tickets over on that side of the park. She liked the view. I liked his attitude, but then he turned all angry and my liking of him waned. She, on the other hand, still has dreams about those cranberries.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that my wife has the picture of just about every Reds' behind ready to recall at any moment. I once asked her about Pete Rose and she said, "Way too bulbous."

I didn't even know bulbousity was a criterion.

Anyway, just to keep this thread on track- I love Josh, I love his story and I'm a heterosexual man.

Not some senator from Idaho.

Red in Chicago
08-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Your daughters have good eyes :beerme:

Rojo
08-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Just stumbled onto this thread. Actually, I'm not afraid to admit when a guy's good looking but I never got Derek Jeter. That happens. I never got Demi Moore either.

Falls City Beer
08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I never got Demi Moore either.

Or Angelina Jolie's big MAN head.

SunDeck
08-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Or Angelina Jolie's big MAN head.

She has a head?

KittyDuran
08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
She has a head?Yeah, with enormous lips attached to it... ;)

Matt700wlw
08-30-2007, 05:07 PM
She has a head?

I'm not even going to comment...

:eek: