PDA

View Full Version : Marty's survey of the beat writers on Adam Dunn's option

flyer85
08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
OPTION PLAY: Marty Brennaman took a survey of the three beat writers on the subject of Adam Dunn's $13 million option.

The vote was 3-0 that the club picks it up.

Marty probably told them how stupid they are "off the air". :D

Highlifeman21
08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Marty was probably beside himself after that vote.

It would be criminal for the Reds to do anything BUT pick up his option.

Heath
08-26-2007, 09:46 PM
FMB said something that was very true on Friday night.

- No matter how good this team looks now winning, there are a number of holes to fill and current management cannot be fooled into thinking this team is a contender. -

I about drove off the road. He is right.

paulrichjr
08-27-2007, 12:35 PM
FMB said something that was very true on Friday night.

- No matter how good this team looks now winning, there are a number of holes to fill and current management cannot be fooled into thinking this team is a contender. -

I about drove off the road. He is right.

Unfortunately he thinks the biggest hole is in left field and that Norris Hopper is the one to fill it. My son looked up Hopper's stats last night and just about fell in the floor laughing.

Heath
08-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately he thinks the biggest hole is in left field and that Norris Hopper is the one to fill it. My son looked up Hopper's stats last night and just about fell in the floor laughing.

I respectfully disagree - the bullpen has gotten the brunt of Marty lately.

Ever since that survey with the beat writers, Marty has been quiet on the Dunn front.

And honestly, since Josh Hamilton is back, I've not heard much from Norris Hopper. I'm guessing Petey Mac knows Hopper's role.

Highlifeman21
08-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I respectfully disagree - the bullpen has gotten the brunt of Marty lately.

Ever since that survey with the beat writers, Marty has been quiet on the Dunn front.

And honestly, since Josh Hamilton is back, I've not heard much from Norris Hopper. I'm guessing Petey Mac knows Hopper's role.

Bellhop moving luggage for his teammates on road trips?

Eric_Davis
08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Maybe they'll increase the payroll by 10% to $75M with plans of keeping Dunn only half a season, thus costing them only half the $13M. Don't know where the money would come from. Attendance is the same as last year (54 people less per game, but Griffey's chase for 600 should bring out more people). Maybe ownership will think they can win it all next year and spring for the extra money.

Eric_Davis
08-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Here's where Dunn's money could go:

Per Rotoworld...

Carlos Silva (Twins) - Silva pitched himself out of the rotation for a time during 2006, and he wasn't all that much better in the first half of 2007. However, he has helped himself out a ton with a 1.75 ERA over his last five starts. At 27, he'll be the youngest starter available this winter, making it likely that a nice payday is on the way. His sinker will make him especially attractive to teams in smaller ballparks, even if he doesn't get as many grounders as most like to believe. The Phillies, Reds, Orioles, Rangers, Rays and Braves are among the clubs that could pursue him. Prediction: Reds - four years, $32 million

pedro
08-27-2007, 01:40 PM

Per Rotoworld...

Carlos Silva (Twins) - Silva pitched himself out of the rotation for a time during 2006, and he wasn't all that much better in the first half of 2007. However, he has helped himself out a ton with a 1.75 ERA over his last five starts. At 27, he'll be the youngest starter available this winter, making it likely that a nice payday is on the way. His sinker will make him especially attractive to teams in smaller ballparks, even if he doesn't get as many grounders as most like to believe. The Phillies, Reds, Orioles, Rangers, Rays and Braves are among the clubs that could pursue him. Prediction: Reds - four years, $32 million

kill me

fearofpopvol1
08-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Think Dunn would offer up a discount to the Reds if they try to lock him up for longer?

KronoRed
08-27-2007, 02:27 PM

Hopefully not.

puca
08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Think Dunn would offer up a discount to the Reds if they try to lock him up for longer?

I can't think of a good reason why he would.

I know if I worked in an environment where I was so routinely ridiculed and villified I certainly would not stick around for even 'fair market' value. I would probably even take less money just to get out.

Heath
08-27-2007, 02:44 PM

Per Rotoworld...

And when his sinker quits sinking, he'll be Milton-esque at a more expensive contract.

Pass.

Roy Tucker
08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I'd sure like to see the Reds re-sign Dunn before the end of this season to another 3 year contract. With a healthy bump for next year.

I can't see the Reds getting anywhere close to a bat like his in the FA market.

TOBTTReds
08-27-2007, 03:12 PM

I know if I worked in an environment where I was so routinely ridiculed and villified I certainly would not stick around for even 'fair market' value. I would probably even take less money just to get out.

I honestly think he would be foolish to think it won't be like this other places. Cincinnati is one of the most easy going towns when it comes to their players. Every town will boo him if he does what he does here, even though he is very productive. Washington would be my only guess that they wouldn't.

Chicago boo's their Super Bowl QB.
Philly boo's everything.
Larger markets will give more attention to him.

The only thing that might be different is that if the team he is on is good, then they won't worry about him so much. Like when JD Drew was awful earlier in the year, he didn't catch much slack bc the Sawx were on fire.

danforsman
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM

Adam's going to be the object of some considerable scorn wherever he plays as long as he strikes out nearly 200 times per season. I am sure he is perfectly aware of that and understands that as long as he keeps his OPS and run production as high as possible, the money will be there...in truckloads.

flyer85
08-27-2007, 03:45 PM
kill meme first

puca
08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
I honestly think he would be foolish to think it won't be like this other places. Cincinnati is one of the most easy going towns when it comes to their players. Every town will boo him if he does what he does here, even though he is very productive. Washington would be my only guess that they wouldn't.

Philly boo's everything.

The only thing that might be different is that if the team he is on is good, then they won't worry about him so much. Like when JD Drew was awful earlier in the year, he didn't catch much slack bc the Sawx were on fire.

I can only think of one HOF announcer that routinely rips home team players. Not every place is like Cincinnati in that regard. It is one thing to be booed by fans, it is quite another to be bashed by those 'within' the organization.

It would be quite understandable if Adam doesn't want to continue to play in this environment.

dabvu2498
08-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I can only think of one HOF announcer that routinely rips home team players. Not every place is like Cincinnati in that regard. It is one thing to be booed by fans, it is quite another to be bashed by those 'within' the organization.

It would be quite understandable if Adam doesn't want to continue to play in this environment.

Don't think he's in the HOF, but Ed Farmer has been trashing the White Sox pretty much all season... the last month in particular.

Benihana
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I'd sure like to see the Reds re-sign Dunn before the end of this season to another 3 year contract. With a healthy bump for next year.

I can't see the Reds getting anywhere close to a bat like his in the FA market.

Or perhaps more relevantly, I can't see the Reds getting an arm anywhere close to as valuable as Dunn's bat on the FA market. The pitching crop is just not that strong this year, and thus there is no reason to throw money at it just to throw money at it.

I'd rather see the Reds pick up Dunn's option, trade Griffey as soon as he hits 600, move Bruce to RF, and then trade Dunn by next July if the Reds aren't in a position to contend (and he won't re-sign)

fearofpopvol1
08-27-2007, 05:30 PM

Philly boo's everything.

Yeah, seriously. I agree. If people thin Cincy is a place to be ridiculed, go to NY or Boston or LA. Adam Dunn has had it easy here.

REDREAD
08-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Actually, I think if Dunn went to a place that had a decent offense, the fans/media wouldn't think of him as "the Man" and they'd leave him alone.

For example, Houston has Lee and Berkman. NYY have plenty of good hitters.. not saying Dunn will go there, but in a situation like that, it's very likely he wouldn't be the #1 target as he is here.

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM

Per Rotoworld...

I would prefer getting my scrotum ripped off in a bar fight with an Oklahoma fan than signing Carlos Silva.

KronoRed
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
I would prefer getting my scrotum ripped off in a bar fight with an Oklahoma fan than signing Carlos Silva.

I didn't know you were a Texas fan OBM

:cool:

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I didn't know you were a Texas fan OBM

:cool:

Hey, I would become a Cardinals fan for a day if it helped prevent the Reds from making another awful signing. Well, nah, take that back. I wouldn't become a Cardinals fan for all the money in the world.:D