PDA

View Full Version : Cubs and Brewers both lose... 6 1/2 out!!!

redsfan4445
08-26-2007, 07:42 PM
this is getting interesting and i would love to see a miracle finish!!!

GO REDS!!!!

toledodan
08-26-2007, 08:00 PM
i know there are alot of cub fans that make the trip to cincy but wow there were alot there in arizona today. i'm sure glad they went home unhappy. LOL!

redsfan4445
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
yessss me too... love to see them lose 2 of 3 to the brewers as the reds go for 3 of 4 from the Pirates!

TeamBoone
08-26-2007, 08:17 PM
i know there are alot of cub fans that make the trip to cincy but wow there were alot there in arizona today. i'm sure glad they went home unhappy. LOL!

Fan wise, the Cubs are the National League's Yankees. They have fans EVERYWHERE, just because.

Falls City Beer
08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Fan wise, the Cubs are the National League's Yankees. They have fans EVERYWHERE, just because.

I blame that movie Brewster's Millions.

LincolnparkRed
08-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I blame that movie Brewster's Millions. I blame WGN and Bill Murray

coachw513
08-26-2007, 08:30 PM
It's totally about WGN and afternoon games on the tube during the '80's and into the '90's when no other viewing options were available (except the Braves and TBS, but they were at night)...

Always Red
08-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I blame WGN and Bill Murray

I blame Harry Carey, Steve Stone, and WGN.

37red
08-26-2007, 08:39 PM
This will make ticket prices go up and it harder to find them, darn, I couldn't get there in time again. I'm just too far away to run up and see a game on the fly. This will be an interesting month. I looked over the schedule and it's an inter division play off. Things will change, it's just a matter of who beats up on who. Just like the rest of the season but it's near the end and we've won several games in a row, which usually doesn't happen, so it's a lot more interesting. Those west coast trips are wrenching and traditionally kill us. It'll be fun if we can just keep making a run for it. Go Reds

VR
08-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Reds 6.5 out

Yankees 7.5 out

guttle11
08-26-2007, 10:19 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Let's face it, with 18 or so games left against the Cubs, Brewers, and Cards, they are not out of it. It's a long shot for sure, but for some reason that cannot be explained it's getting shorter very quickly.

What if they take 4 of 5 in Pittsburgh?

Must...stop...now...don't get any hope. It will not end well.

vaticanplum
08-26-2007, 10:23 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Let's face it, with 18 or so games left against the Cubs, Brewers, and Cards, they are not out of it. It's a long shot for sure, but for some reason that cannot be explained it's getting shorter very quickly.

What if they take 4 of 5 in Pittsburgh?

Must...stop...now...don't get any hope. It will not end well.

Earlier today, I started to feel hope too. Don't worry. You have the power within you to crush it like a bug. Believe in yourself.

pedro
08-26-2007, 10:26 PM
6.5 games is not insurmountable. The Reds are interesting. How about that!

RBA
08-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Cubs spring training site is Mesa, AZ, which is pretty much Phoenix. They have been playing there for a long time before the D'Backs came into being. Here's a website about the Cubs spring training site.

http://www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/chicago_cubs.htm

It includes an interesting tidbit about the Cubs doing Spring Training on Catalina Island.

OldXOhio
08-26-2007, 10:38 PM
6.5 games is not insurmountable. The Reds are interesting. How about that!

And 4.5 games is achievable. Target 3rd place for now and worry about the division lead later.

Bring on the Cards

red-in-la
08-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Cubs spring training site is Mesa, AZ, which is pretty much Phoenix. They have been playing there for a long time before the D'Backs came into being. Here's a website about the Cubs spring training site.

http://www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/chicago_cubs.htm

It includes an interesting tidbit about the Cubs doing Spring Training on Catalina Island.

I was standing on their Catalina baseball field just one week ago. The whole place almost went up in flames about a month ago. There are black scorch hills on 2 of 3 sides of it (it is at the end of a canyon).

For those who do not know, Mr. Wrigley build an estate on Catalina back in the 1920's......or even earlier maybe.....anyway, that is why the Cubs used to do a little Spring Training there.

GriffeyFan
08-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Wow, I've nonchalantly checked the standings from time to time but I didn't realize they were this close now.

It's the crazy NL Central trying to do its best NL West impression of a couple years ago (or was it last year?) when the division leader struggled to stay above .500.

Winning the series against Pittsburgh is very doable and hope the Brew Crew take 2 of 3 from Chicago.

Sea Ray
08-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Easy folks. Reality check. they're 2.5 games out of last place. It's fun to see them win a little. We've seen precious little of that all year, but they're not in a pennant race. They're on a hot streak, that's all.

Razor Shines
08-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Easy folks. Reality check. they're 2.5 games out of last place. It's fun to see them win a little. We've seen precious little of that all year, but they're not in a pennant race. They're on a hot streak, that's all.

They may not be in the pennant race yet but I think it's more than a hot streak. They've played pretty decent ball since July 3rd. For whatever that's worth.

Eric_Davis
08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
yessss me too... love to see them lose 2 of 3 to the brewers as the reds go for 3 of 4 from the Pirates! The Pirates are hotter than the REDS. A split would be great, but a split won't gain ground and actually lose 1/2 a game to one of them as the Brewers or the Cubs will win 2 of 3.

It's totally amazing that the two hottest clubs in the Majors the last half of August are the Pirates and the REDS.

Sea Ray
08-26-2007, 11:26 PM
They may not be in the pennant race yet but I think it's more than a hot streak. They've played pretty decent ball since July 3rd. For whatever that's worth.

This is what it's worth: More entertaining ball for us fans. I'm afraid that's about it.

PuffyPig
08-26-2007, 11:31 PM
The Pirates are hotter than the REDS.

The Pirates are hot, but the Reds are hotter.

Check their wins.

redsfan4445
08-26-2007, 11:44 PM

If the Reds pull this out you owe an apology to redszone..;)

macro
08-27-2007, 12:28 AM
We've got another "Do the Reds have a shot?" thread on the board, but it's getting pretty big, so I'm in favor of letting this one run without a merge...

cincrazy
08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
This is what it's worth: More entertaining ball for us fans. I'm afraid that's about it.

Sea Ray, I've agreed with everything you've had to say along the way, but you have to admit that if this team can somehow cut the lead to 5 games by September, it's not IMPOSSIBLE. It's highly unlikely, but we have 6 games each remaining against the 3 teams ahead of us.

In this division, anything is possible. Either way, I'm proud as hell of this team. They took a roundhouse right from Mike Tyson early in the season, but they got right back up off of the mat and started fighting away.

fearofpopvol1
08-27-2007, 02:16 AM
The Pirates are hotter than the REDS. A split would be great, but a split won't gain ground and actually lose 1/2 a game to one of them as the Brewers or the Cubs will win 2 of 3.

It's totally amazing that the two hottest clubs in the Majors the last half of August are the Pirates and the REDS.

How do you figure? The Reds are 12-3 in their last 15 while the Pirates have been 10-5. The Bucks have played good baseball, but the Reds have played better.

Sea Ray
08-27-2007, 11:14 AM
If the Reds pull this out you owe an apology to redszone..;)

Let me tell you, I'd love to be wrong here. Say what you want about my opinions but you'll find I fully admit when I'm wrong.

OldXOhio
08-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Just curious, but at what point do even the biggest of naysayers agree that the Reds are legitimately in this pennant race? When they return home having won 5/7 on the road? When they get to within 4 games? When they pass someone into 3rd?

Sea Ray
08-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Just curious, but at what point do even the biggest of naysayers agree that the Reds are legitimately in this pennant race? When they return home having won 5/7 on the road? When they get to within 4 games? When they pass someone into 3rd?

At the very least they'll have to get to 5 games out by a week from today. They also need to get close to .500. 10 games under isn't close. If they sweep the Cubs when they play their next series I think things could get interesting.

But looking at the Reds starting pitching none of these things are likely to occur.

Falls City Beer
08-27-2007, 02:55 PM

It's a fair question.

I'll say they're in the thick of it when they reach .500 with some other team not having pulled away. Until then, it's a bad team on a hot streak. (They'll still be a lame team at .500, but they'll stop being out and out "bad.")

I don't think a sub .500 team will make the playoffs--even in this division. The issue at this point is margin for error, of course. The Reds have none--other teams have some to work with. If it gets close, I'm not sure if the odds just won't smack 'em back down.

I agree with Sea Ray and say that with this starting pitching, it will be impossible for a sweep of the Cubs, and every single teensy weensy loss to the Cubs or Cardinals is a resounding nail in the coffin.

GoReds
08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm not so much worried about the Cubs or the Brewers, but at some point, the Cardinals have to figure out that the end of the season is coming and they'd better get going.

The Reds could finish second.

Falls City Beer
08-27-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm not so much worried about the Cubs or the Brewers, but at some point, the Cardinals have to figure out that the end of the season is coming and they'd better get going.

The Reds could finish second.

Why aren't you worried about the Cubs? They're playing just as well as the Cards. But I agree with you about the Brewers; I'd be surprised if the Reds didn't finish ahead of them.

RichRed
08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Why aren't you worried about the Cubs? They're playing just as well as the Cards. But I agree with you about the Brewers; I'd be surprised if the Reds didn't finish ahead of them.

Yep, the Cubs are the only team in the NL Central with a positive run differential (+50). They should be running away with the division but they're not because, well, they're the Cubs.

I think the Cubs will take it, as nauseous as that makes me, with the Cards finishing second and the Reds and Brewers battling it out for third.

Roy Tucker
08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Lots of time in church, let's just say I'm not paying full attention.

However, on Sunday, the last line of the gospel reading made me sit up and think of the ballgame I was to attend later...

And behold, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last.

redsmetz
08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Lots of time in church, let's just say I'm not paying full attention.

However, on Sunday, the last line of the gospel reading made me sit up and think of the ballgame I was to attend later...

And behold, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last.

So apparently we do have a prayer.

Outshined_One
08-27-2007, 06:36 PM
At the rate things are going, the Astros will be 5 back by the end of next week. I feel like the NL Central has turned into a chaotic mess.