PDA

View Full Version : Could Bruce force Griffey to the bench next year

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Bruce is really doing well in AAA: 2008 will be Griffey's last year if they don't pick up the option. Is it possible Jay Bruce could force Griffey to the bench at any time next year?

kaldaniels
08-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Bruce is really doing well in AAA: 2008 will be Griffey's last year if they don't pick up the option. Is it possible Jay Bruce could force Griffey to the bench at any time next year?

I like Jr. I think it was completely blown out of proportion about the infamous double-switch....but sending Jr. to the bench would not be a pretty sight, and I'd say there is no chance it would happen.

Degenerate39
08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
No way Junior sits on the bench when he's making 12 million I think

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Not even if the Reds approached Junior about the possibility before the season? I believe they did that when they made the decision to move him to RF.

Degenerate39
08-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Not even if the Reds approached Junior about the possibility before the season? I believe they did that when they made the decision to move him to RF.

They might as well trade him if they're going to bench him.

dougdirt
08-26-2007, 11:43 PM
You aren't going to bench a guy coming off the season Griffey is having. Why are we honestly talking about benching a guy with an OPS over .900?

AccordinglyReds
08-26-2007, 11:49 PM
That idea is preposterous.

Prf15
08-26-2007, 11:58 PM

He won't force him to the bench but he could force him out of Cincy.

Mario-Rijo
08-27-2007, 12:23 AM
He won't force him to the bench but he could force him out of Cincy.

Griffey will likely force himself out of Cincy, just my 2 cents.

Blue
08-27-2007, 12:31 AM
More likely he forces Dunn to 1B and Votto to another organization.

Caveat Emperor
08-27-2007, 01:04 AM
More likely he forces Dunn to 1B and Votto to another organization.

Ding! We have a winner.

LoganBuck
08-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Why are we honestly talking about benching a guy with an OPS over .900?

Doug people talk about it all the time.

Ex. 1 Bench Dunn, Hopper is better
Ex. 2 Bench Hamilton, Hopper is better
Ex. 3 Bench Griffey, Hopper/Bruce/Eggsalad Sandwich is better

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Degenerate39
08-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Doug people talk about it all the time.

Ex. 1 Bench Dunn, Hopper is better
Ex. 2 Bench Hamilton, Hopper is better
Ex. 3 Bench Griffey, Hopper/Bruce/Eggsalad Sandwich is better

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Eggsalad Sandwich.

Also I'll never understand the manlove of Hopper. Is it because he can bunt? That's pretty much all the name can do.

AmarilloRed
08-27-2007, 01:52 AM
You aren't going to bench a guy coming off the season Griffey is having. Why are we honestly talking about benching a guy with an OPS over .900?

Blame me Doug. I realize next year might be Junior's last, and with the way Bruce is playing I thought his play might force Junior to the bench. I realize now it is probably more likely we will see Bruce on the bench in 2008, if the Reds don't decide to keep him in AAA the whole year.

11larkin11
08-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Griffey will never be a bench player. He will always be a DH or starter, no matter where.

pedro
08-27-2007, 02:38 AM
If Griffey gets his 600th HR this season I wouldn't doubt if the Reds traded him at all.

Redhook
08-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I realize now it is probably more likely we will see Bruce on the bench in 2008, if the Reds don't decide to keep him in AAA the whole year.

Bruce won't be on the bench anywhere. When it's his time to come up next year he'll be starting.

Highlifeman21
08-27-2007, 10:16 AM

For a second, I thought I had mistakenly stumbled onto the SunDeck when I read this question.

Griffey, Jr. would have to OPS South of .800 for anyone to replace him and send him to the bench.

Pencil Jay Bruce in as a starter in 2009, and you'll see an OF consisting of Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton and ?, due to the fact the Reds will have done something monumentally stupid as a franchise and traded Adam Dunn to someone for pennies on the dollar, or not have picked up his option.

2008 will be Griffey's last year as a Red, and barring injury, he'll see 140+ games of action.

remdog
08-27-2007, 10:38 AM
For a second, I thought I had mistakenly stumbled onto the SunDeck when I read this question.

Griffey, Jr. would have to OPS South of .800 for anyone to replace him and send him to the bench.

Pencil Jay Bruce in as a starter in 2009, and you'll see an OF consisting of Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton and ?, due to the fact the Reds will have done something monumentally stupid as a franchise and traded Adam Dunn to someone for pennies on the dollar, or not have picked up his option.

2008 will be Griffey's last year as a Red, and barring injury, he'll see 140+ games of action.

That's pretty much a mirror image of my thoughts.

Rem

BLEEDS
08-27-2007, 11:08 AM

That's pretty much a mirror image of my thoughts.

Rem

I'll second that.

Bruce will be here in 2009 - if we were a SMART Organization - barring injuries (again) to Hamilton or Freel, as Jr's replacement when we DON'T pick up his 16.5M 2009 option.

UNLESS they trade Junior near the end of 2008 due to us being out of the race (unlikely given that we are competing right now with only 2 Real MLB-caliber Starting Pitchers, unless we don't pick up Dunn's 2008 option).

I have very little faith that the Reds will be smart enough to sign Dunn long-term to a friendly deal - TRY to get him to agree to a Home Discount of maybe 4-5Yrs, at about $14M per - and instead will let him walk or trade him for a bag of balls and some tarp covers in late 2008.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

corkedbat
08-27-2007, 12:36 PM
there will be a trade, before anyone is forced to the bench. I think Bruce may get his chance because mid-season nect year due to someone's stint on the DL.

AmarilloRed
08-27-2007, 02:36 PM

I thought it was a legitimate question. Griffey has had some down years, and also some years where he has injured most of the year. I am not expecting him to have a huge drop-off next year or him to miss much time, but it could happen. I now concede it is probably likely we will not see Bruce starting in 2009, but circumstances can always change things. I expect if the Reds can find a way to re-sign Adam Dunn, they will do it. I do think they will pick up the option next year because of Adam's good play this year. If the Reds did not trade Dunn this year at the deadline because there was not much of a return for him, I would not expect them to get much in the future. I am very impressed by Jay Bruce and would have liked to see him next year, but it is clear now it will not happen.

BLEEDS
08-27-2007, 03:14 PM
there will be a trade, before anyone is forced to the bench. I think Bruce may get his chance because mid-season nect year due to someone's stint on the DL.

Short and Sweet, and my money on what is the most likely scenarios.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GoReds33
08-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Benching Griffey was my first thought. I just don't know if that would be in the best intrest of the team. I think that Griffey will be shopped this offseason.

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I love Griffey but I would deal him this offseason and lock Dunn up long-term and go with a future outfield of Dunn, Bruce, and Hamilton.