PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh series

DeadRedinCT
08-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Both Reds and Pirates have off days today. Both teams are flying into Pittsburgh for the series - Pirates were on the road in Houston.

How come they are playing a double header on Tuesday? Why didn't they schedule the make-up date for today?

Just curious, hadn't heard/read any theories or reasons.

mroby85
08-27-2007, 01:54 PM
good question.

kaldaniels
08-27-2007, 01:56 PM
I would guess at this point in the year travel plans had already been arranged and at this point, maybe a day off trumps rescheduling the 2 games over Mon and Tues.

uoduck1017
08-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I thought I heard there was a rule for teams to be given a certain amount of off-days. I believe Pittsburgh just came off a stretch in which they played a lot of games with no off-days.

durl
08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I just always guessed that it's VERY difficult to add a game to an empty date. Arrangements have to be modified for the entire ballpark staff which would tend to be difficult. Making it a double-header would be far easier, I believe.

stevekun
08-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Double headers are money makers as well....they seem to draw more fans

Cant Touch This
08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Would think two games at a conservative 15,000 fans would outdraw one doubleheader that brings in at most 25,00 fans.

redsfanmia
08-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Both Reds and Pirates have off days today. Both teams are flying into Pittsburgh for the series - Pirates were on the road in Houston.

How come they are playing a double header on Tuesday? Why didn't they schedule the make-up date for today?

Just curious, hadn't heard/read any theories or reasons.

To make Marty's day, he absolutely loves doubleheaders.

Jr's Boy
08-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Good question,cool with me though as I am off Tuesday's.

I(heart)Freel
08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Good question,cool with me though as I am off Tuesday's.

And work conveniently is forcing me to drive to Pittsburgh tomorrow. Man, that timing just stinks. ;)

5pm first pitch, here I come! Can't wait to see PNC.

Muggerd
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I called up my dad last night and said
Me: "hey man you want to go to the reds pirates double header Tuesday"
Him: "umm... sure, yes of course"
Me: "its in Pittsburgh"
Him: "oh... well.... we would have to leave Monday morning"

:bowrofl: As much as we want to go and have done random things along those lines before we just decided we better run our business and watch the games on TV.

MaineRed
08-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Don't care when they play them. All I know is that the Reds need to win them.

The team can gain ground no matter what anyone else does.

With some help the Reds are within 5 games by the end of Tuesday night.

jnwohio
08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
I think this is a very dangerous series for the Reds. The Pirates have been playing pretty well themselves plus the Reds have demonstrated a definite propensity to play tio the level of their competition.

Also 4 games series are next to impossible to sweep (not even factoring in the double header angle) and despite what the Reds did to the Braves last week, it is also tough to win 3 out of 4. This does not bode well for the Reds, being in the situation where they absolutely need every win they can earn, beg, borrow or steal.

Of course last time into the Steel City the Reds beat up on them pretty good. Hopefully they will pick right back up.

However, with the Brewers foundering like they are, the Cubs could come very close to putting the division away by Friday if they sweep and the Cards and Reds both lose a couple.

goreds2
08-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Our Reds have 7 games in 6 days. I think this stretch will be due or die for us. :pray:

eastkyred
08-28-2007, 12:58 PM
The worst part about the double header is it puts Ramirez or Arroyo on short rest Saturday. (I would assume Arroyo.)

MaineRed
08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
What a day for a ballgame. LETS PLAY TWO!!!

RedsFanWC
08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Id rather have the Reds have to use a guy on short rest now compared to the Cubs and Cards September schedules.

The Cubs and Cards have a doubleheader on Sept 15th, right before Chicago comes to Cincinnati. In addition the Cubs have to travel back to Wrigley to play the Cards ion September 10th in a one day make up game, imbetween their road trips to Pittsburgh and Houston.

St Louis has it rough too. They have that same doubleheader and make up game at Chicago, which comes right before their road trip to Cincinnati. As far as I can tell they dont have a single day off the rest of the season. They have another one day makeup at the Mets in the last weekend of the season, imbetween a road trip to Milwaukee and Pittsburgh.

goreds2
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Two pretty good left handers pitching for the Pirates tonight. We know what our record is against lefties. :(

Pirates left-handers Tom Gorzelanny and Paul Maholm will start.

:pray:

Muggerd
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Two pretty good left handers pitching for the Pirates tonight. We know what our record is against lefties. :(

In defense we didnt have many of the right hand bats we had earlier in the year either. Edwin is hitting better, Keppinger is Ted Williams, and Cantu could be decent.

AmarilloRed
08-28-2007, 02:08 PM
In defense we didn't have many of the right hand bats we had earlier in the year either. Edwin is hitting better, Keppinger is Ted Williams, and Cantu could be decent.

I am one of Keppinger's biggest supporters, but even I think it is a bit of a stretch to call him Ted Williams at this point. He is having an outstanding season, though.

Muggerd
08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I am one of Keppinger's biggest supporters, but even I think it is a bit of a stretch to call him Ted Williams at this point. He is having an outstanding season, though.

It was sarcasm :bowrofl:

AmarilloRed
08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I realized that. Still, it might have been a good idea to add a:rolleyes: to show you were being sarcastic.

Muggerd
08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I realized that. Still, it might have been a good idea to add a:rolleyes: to show you were being sarcastic.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I figured the whole comment was enough. If you realized that why did you have to try to correct it?

AmarilloRed
08-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Somebody else might have thought you were serious.

Muggerd
08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Somebody else might have thought you were serious.

Thats their problem then. The :rolleyes: has a negative connotation to me so it wouldn't make any sense to use it but :dunno:

goreds2
08-29-2007, 12:44 PM

I was afraid we would get swept in the double header. :(