PDA

View Full Version : Astros Fire Garner, Purpura

Johnny Footstool
08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Wow.

Wasn't Purpura one of the candidates to replace Bowden before O'Brien was hired?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7160596

The Astros, initiating a major overhaul, have fired general manager Tim Purpura and manager Phil Garner, according to a major-league source.

The move comes just two years after the pair took the team to the first World Series in franchise history.

The Astros have called a news conference at 3 p.m. ET to announce the change.

Owner Drayton McLane expected the team to contend after signing left fielder Carlos Lee to a $100 million free-agent contract and adding starting pitchers Woody Williams and Jason Jennings.

Instead, the Astros are 58-73, tied with the Nationals for the third-worst record in the National League, ahead of only the Pirates and Marlins.

Bench coach Cecil Cooper will be the team's interim manager.

Good news for Cecil Cooper, though. I always liked him as a player.

Chip R
08-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Not surprising they fired Garner but they moved Hunsicker (?) out so they could promote Pupura. That's surprising. The Dynamic Duo of O'Brien and Narron are tanned, rested and ready. ;)

Unassisted
08-27-2007, 03:33 PM
That'll certainly extinguish the glow from the halo of goodwill that developed around retiring Bagwell's number yesterday. :)

membengal
08-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Trying for a dead-Astro bounce?

Johnny Footstool
08-27-2007, 03:36 PM
That'll certainly extinguish the glow from the halo of goodwill that developed around retiring Bagwell's number yesterday. :)

At least they waited a day. It could have been "Tim Purpura and Phil Garner, please report to Mr. McClane's office. And now, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Astros legend Jeff Bagwell!"

Blimpie
08-27-2007, 03:41 PM
What a difference a year makes.

smith288
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
You mean Woody Williams and Jason Jennings arent the final piece of any World Series puzzle? Im astonished...

15fan
08-27-2007, 03:48 PM
You mean Woody Williams and Jason Jennings arent the final piece of any World Series puzzle? Im astonished...

I was thinking the same thing.

That's kind of like thinking that the team expected to contend after throwing big money at Eric Milton and Sean Casey. ;)

camisadelgolf
08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
They'll need to replace a lot more than two people to make up for the last draft they had.

RedsFan75
08-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Garner seemed like a good one, but never panned out.

I for one hope Garner is no where near the running for Reds manager, cause frankly I couldn't take Grande's referal to Scrap Iron every night!

Always Red
08-27-2007, 03:56 PM
... cause frankly I couldn't take Grande's referal to Scrap Iron every night!

you know his story...:p:

Chip R
08-27-2007, 03:57 PM
you know his story...:p:

Cowboy. ;)

KronoRed
08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Trying for a dead-Astro bounce?

Making a run at the division no doubt

fearofpopvol1
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
All humor aside, since many feel that Mack may (or may not) be the best option, should the Reds interview/pursue Garner? He took his team to the World Series so you can't say he hasn't had some success.

Also, do you think Purpura would be a better GM than Krivsky.

paulrichjr
08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
This is insane in my opinion. Teams go through bad times. I don't really know a lot about Purpura but I can't imagine he deserves full credit for this disaster. Losing Clemens and Pettite obviously was not the reason that this team has played so bad this year. It is obvious that the reason is Garner and Purpura

Unassisted
08-27-2007, 05:34 PM
All humor aside, since many feel that Mack may (or may not) be the best option, should the Reds interview/pursue Garner? He took his team to the World Series so you can't say he hasn't had some success.

That makes me think of the opposite. How cool would it be if the new Astros GM asked for permission to interview Pete? :cool:

cincinnati chili
08-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Phil Garner - bad. very very very bad.

Tim Purpura - Not so bad. I imagine he'll get a shot somewhere else.

cincinnati chili
08-28-2007, 03:24 AM
And Tal Smith as a stopgap GM?

Well... they laughed at Jack McKeon.

puca
08-28-2007, 08:02 AM
I have to say many of Purpura's moves have left me scratching my head. I am not a big fan.

cumberlandreds
08-28-2007, 09:00 AM
The Astros chose to stay with aging players too long and squeeze all they could out of them like Biggio,Bagwell and a whole host of pitchers. Now they are paying for it and probably for a long time.

OldXOhio
08-28-2007, 01:51 PM
This is insane in my opinion. Teams go through bad times. I don't really know a lot about Purpura but I can't imagine he deserves full credit for this disaster. Losing Clemens and Pettite obviously was not the reason that this team has played so bad this year. It is obvious that the reason is Garner and Purpura

I think you can pin the Jennings trade on Purpura, but I'm not sure what else. It is widely known that McLane likes to meddle in the Astros affairs, so I don't know how Purpura can be completely to blame. And I'm still not sure why Garner, the man who was so widely regarded as the savior just two years ago, is now gone.

traderumor
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
The Astros foundation has been shaky and noticed by many for the last three seasons. This year, Rocky and Bullwinkle could not pull the rabbit out of the second half hat. Now, Oswalt is injured and the Astros cannot grow offense like the Reds can't grow pitching. I think they are going to have to spend some money to get out of the current hole they are in. The good news for them is they have deeper pockets from which to clean up messes than the Reds.

IslandRed
08-28-2007, 04:07 PM
And Tal Smith as a stopgap GM?

Is this the same Tal Smith who was GM of the Astros in the late '70s, and got fired right after the team won the division because the new owner didn't like him? Or something like that?

Jpup
08-29-2007, 02:30 AM
If there was only one thing I was right about his spring, it was the demise of the Houston Astros. They have been going downhill for sometime now. The Cardinals should soon follow, but I'll reserve judgement until I see who their new GM and manager is.

Purpura may be the worst GM (now former) in baseball outside of Pittsburgh. Phil Gardner seemed like a decent guy to have around and I would imagine he'll got a long look from the Reds and probably some other clubs.

cincinnati chili
08-29-2007, 03:39 AM
Is this the same Tal Smith who was GM of the Astros in the late '70s, and got fired right after the team won the division because the new owner didn't like him? Or something like that?

He's been a GM and all sorts of other things. He also got into the biz of preparing arbitration cases for various teams.

He is the father of Randy Smith, who drove the Tigers over the cliff a few years ago.

cincinnati chili
08-29-2007, 03:41 AM
I have to say many of Purpura's moves have left me scratching my head. I am not a big fan.

If he was the driving force behind the Jennings trade, that's plain nuts. I'm also not a guy who thinks Carlos Lee is worth all that money.

But as Jayson Stark cautioned, we don't necessarily know which moves came from him and which moves came from ownership:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2993768

"But his last GM, Gerry Hunsicker, up and quit three years ago because he'd had enough of McLane's meddling in the baseball side of the operation. And so little has changed since that day that it's difficult to evaluate Purpura's reign as GM, because we'll never know how many decisions were really made by the general manager. "

camisadelgolf
08-29-2007, 04:03 AM
The Astros were my pick to win the division. :redface::oops::all_cohol

IslandRed
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
He's been a GM and all sorts of other things. He also got into the biz of preparing arbitration cases for various teams.

Thought I remembered the name from Lords of the Realm.